PDA

View Full Version : NYU Professor Says Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook Should be Broken Up

Nickdfresh
03-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Scott Galloway contends these companies are more powerful than monopolies past and are crushing brick-and-mortar companies and preventing new businesses from flourishing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NyFRIgulPo

FORD
03-17-2018, 11:49 AM
No mention of Scumcast? Not only are they monopolizing internet access, they also control much of the content, considering they own NBC, various cable TV networks, a big share of Hulu, and Universal which not only makes movies, but also has bought up about half the record industry, acquiring the back catalogs of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Queen, the Sex Pistols, U2, and even that last Van Halen record, among others.

Nitro Express
03-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Vote with your pocket book. If you don't like Google, Facebook, Apple, don't do business with them or use their products. There are other search engines. There are other computer manufactures. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to use Facebook. In the case of a utility like Comcast you need regulation because they truly are a monopoly. But here the big question. How effective is the regulation when the government only serves who greases the politicians hands the most. Big pharma is a prime example. The FDA is a revolving door between government and corporations. The reality is non of this changes until we get term limits in congress. Until that happens we will just have people serving in public office for 30 plus years taking bribes and the corporations get what they want.

FORD
03-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Well, it's virtually impossible to have a cell phone or any other mobile device without doing business with either Google or Apple. Microsoft was trying to be the third big player in the mobile market, but Windows phones were an instant flop. I use Android phones, but I use non Google apps on it whenever possible. Firefox mobile is actually better than Chrome anyway.

I'd much rather have a phone that ran on Linux, and supposedly such a thing was in development, but I don't think it exists in the real world yet. :(

Nitro Express
03-18-2018, 01:11 PM
The reality is these tech companies can become non relevant quicker due to their own mistakes. In the tech industry you can go down the shitter quickly due to poor management. We will see where these companies are in ten years. Chances are Facebook won't be relevant. Amazon might not be the only game in town. Apple might no longer be the cool brandname.