PDA

View Full Version : Something that pisses me off...

Dave's PA Rental
01-16-2004, 01:20 PM
It pisses me off that it takes a disaster like September 11 to get people to show their patriotism.

Remember how after 9/11 everyone rushed to get an American flag displayed on or in their cars?

Where did all the flags go? I dont see any American flags in/on vehicles anymore.

of course, all the soccer-moms will clamour to get flags back in their SUV's after the next terrorist attack.

Mine never came down, nor will it EVER! It's hanging from the sun-visor on the passenger side, and there it will stay.

John Ashcroft
01-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Good on ya!

Mine's still flying proudly on my house. Was prior to 9/11, and will be forever (or as long as I live there.)

BigBadBrian
01-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Good on ya!

Mine's still flying proudly on my house. Was prior to 9/11, and will be forever (or as long as I live there.)

Mine too.

lucky wilbury
01-16-2004, 01:53 PM
same here

Junyore Grades
01-16-2004, 02:10 PM
The one on my car, I did take off because it was all ripped up.
I had an old regulation sized flag that I hung from a tree when I first bought my property, prior to 9-11. After several hard storms, it became ripped and faded. A few days after 9-11, I properly burned and retired the old flag.
Now I have a 25 foot flagpole, with a 3x5 flag on it. At the base of the pole, I made a rock outline of my state, WV, and planted red white and blue flowers in the middle. This year, I plan to make it bigger and better.

FORD
01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Junyore Grades
I had an old regulation sized flag that I hung from a tree when I first bought my property, prior to 9-11. After several hard storms, it became ripped and faded.

And this is how you respect the flag?? I was always taught that you take the flag down at sunset and that you don't leave it out in the severe weather to get all fucked up.

A few days after 9-11, I properly burned and retired the old flag.

Indeed that is the traditonal way of retiring an old flag. However, you might not want to say that in public, because then the right wingers pushing the "flag burning ammendment" will have the Feds show up at your door ;)

Now I have a 25 foot flagpole, with a 3x5 flag on it. At the base of the pole, I made a rock outline of my state, WV, and planted red white and blue flowers in the middle. This year, I plan to make it bigger and better.

What happens when the flowers get cross-pollinated and come in purple and pink? Will you change it to the rainbow flag? :D

Dave's PA Rental
01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I had an old regulation sized flag that I hung from a tree when I first bought my property, prior to 9-11. After several hard storms, it became ripped and faded. A few days after 9-11, I properly burned and retired the old flag.

Sounds good, JG...dont listen to FORD.

But I think that you are supposed to take the flag to the local Army Reserve building where they will honorably dispose of it...

Junyore Grades
01-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And this is how you respect the flag?? I was always taught that you take the flag down at sunset and that you don't leave it out in the severe weather to get all fucked up.

True, hanging a flag from a tree is not proper, but at the time I didn't even have a home, just property, a camper and a flag.

Regulations state that if the flag is lit, (I use two hallogen flood lamps) you don't have to lower the flag, with the exception of severe storms.

Indeed that is the traditonal way of retiring an old flag. However, you might not want to say that in public, because then the right wingers pushing the "flag burning ammendment" will have the Feds show up at your door ;)

I assure you, I did it the proper way. Ripped thirteen ways and quietly burned. My neighbors didn't even know untill they noticed it missing.

What happens when the flowers get cross-pollinated and come in purple and pink? Will you change it to the rainbow flag? :D [/B]

No. I'll kill them all and start over.:daisy: :gun: Avtually, I don't even have to, they're annuals.

Junyore Grades
01-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Daves PA rental
Sounds good, JG...dont listen to FORD.

But I think that you are supposed to take the flag to the local Army Reserve building where they will honorably dispose of it...

That flag had been with me since I first moved out of my parents and was a gift from one of my friends who died of cancer. To me, it was too personal to let anyone else burn it.
It was done with most respect.

FORD
01-16-2004, 03:41 PM
That flag had been with me since I first moved out of my parents and was a gift from one of my friends who died of cancer. To me, it was too personal to let anyone else burn it.
It was done with most respect.

Now, me I would have saved that flag due to the history, and just not flown it anymore, but to each his own......

Which reminds me of a story....

This old roomate had an older flag (Think it might have been a pre-1959 48 star version) and he swore up and down that the flag had a ghost attached to it. Now it did look like the official military issue funeral flag (and he kept it folded in the traditional triangular fashion) so the "ghost" might have been a WWII soldier killed in action, I suppose.

I'm skeptical about ghosts as a rule, but there was definitely a "presence" in that house, and I'm not the only one who thought so. Of course he never bothered to tell me about his friend the ghost until after we had both moved out of the house?

True story, weird as it sounds.

Sarge
01-16-2004, 03:54 PM
It pisses me off that it takes a disaster like September 11 to get people to show their patriotism.

Remember how after 9/11 everyone rushed to get an American flag displayed on or in their cars?

I have one on the back of my jeep along with 2 magentic yellow ribbons...

My front proch has a huge flag and my tree has a yellow ribbon around it..

My woman is still in IRAQ with the 21st CSH so maybe that has something to do with it..
Sarge

lucky wilbury
01-16-2004, 03:55 PM
This old roomate had an older flag (Think it might have been a pre-1959 48 star version

we had flags like that in classrooms while i was in high school. and i was in hs in the mid-late 90's

FORD
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
we had flags like that in classrooms while i was in high school. and i was in hs in the mid-late 90's

And yet you want to cut education funding ? ;)

Junyore Grades
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Now, me I would have saved that flag due to the history, and just not flown it anymore, but to each his own......

That was the origional plan, but do to rips and stains from the tree, I just decided to destroy it.

John Ashcroft
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Sarge, hope your little lady makes it home safe and sound very soon.

Junyore Grades
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
I have one on the back of my jeep along with 2 magentic yellow ribbons...

My front proch has a huge flag and my tree has a yellow ribbon around it..

My woman is still in IRAQ with the 21st CSH so maybe that has something to do with it..
Sarge

God bless her Sarge. Looks like my Dad and his unit may be gearing up to pull out soon, so maybe she will too.

lucky wilbury
01-16-2004, 04:16 PM
And yet you want to cut education funding ? ;)

they way it's used in this town hell ya. they said their running out of money yet they just put in a rock climbing wall in the high school. then when you factor in they want a new high school becuase they say the current one is too small but it really isn't. it was built in the 60's to hold 1900 kids it never reached that number although in the mid 70's it hit around 1700 and there are currently only about 580 kids in there but their saying they need a bigger one. though i shouldn't be surprised afterall we do have two town halls so why not have a half empty giagantic high school?

Sarge
01-16-2004, 04:22 PM

She comes back next month..
And I am excited as hell..

One of the reasons why I am mad at Bush is because he took my piece of ass away from me.
You don't fuck with a soldiers game!

Ally_Kat
01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
the minorities here - puerto ricans, cubans, that whole lot - usualyl have their country of origin's flag hanging in the apaprtment window. After 9/11 they replaced them with Old Glory. Now Old Glory is there and next to them is the other flag.

I'm half surprised they didn't take them down.

Catfish
01-16-2004, 06:40 PM

Where did all the flags go? I dont see any American flags in/on vehicles anymore.

of course, all the soccer-moms will clamour to get flags back in their SUV's after the next terrorist attack.

Mine never came down, nor will it EVER! It's hanging from the sun-visor on the passenger side, and there it will stay.

AMEN BROTHER!
This has fucked with me, too. We're a bunch of fair weather fans in this country.

I had an Old Glory sticker on my window BEFORE the attacks and gawddamnit it's going to be there WELL AFTER.

And fuck all that "September 11th united us" shit. No it didn't. There are a ton of people in this land who effectively forgive the attackers and don't want us to seek vengeance. Remember that pussy Richard Gere's speech at that rally in MSG only days afterward???

Fucking liberals...

Catfish
01-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Sarge, thanks to you and your's for helping keep us safe.

FORD
01-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Catfish

And fuck all that "September 11th united us" shit. No it didn't. There are a ton of people in this land who effectively forgive the attackers and don't want us to seek vengeance. Remember that pussy Richard Gere's speech at that rally in MSG only days afterward???

Fucking liberals...

The "united us" bullshit came straight from your friends at the BCE marketing division. Though there probably was some truth to it, as long as everyone remained in collective shock.

Characterizing Richard Gere as a "liberal" is incorrect. It's his Buddhist religious philosophy which made him advocate a non violent response, not his political views.

As a known Liberal, let me state for the record that I want everyone responsible for 9-11 brought to justice. And most liberals have views closer to mine than Gerbil Boy's on this matter.

Stallion
01-17-2004, 07:50 AM
My Flag was actually flying prior to 9-11 right outside my front door. I was afraid it was going to get ripped off after 9-11 because you couldnt find a flag anywhere.

So I woke up one morning and sure enough....SOME SHITHEAD STOLE MY FUCKING FLAG! I was pissed.
What kind of dickless piece of shit steals a flag?

So I had to wait about two weeks to get another one because nobody had them. So the new flag has been flying ever since.

I have a light that stays on 24-7 so the flag is never in the dark, and I bring it in when it rains.

singerman
01-18-2004, 10:09 PM
just to let you guys know ive read all of your comments and i have huge respect for what have have said with regards to your flag.....its a shame some of us English people dont feel as passionate about our flag....when 9/11 happened we too started putting up our flag and in some parts of England we were told to remove them because it wasnt 'politicly correct' to have them on show because it might offend the minority groups!!....can you believe it!.

Gmoney
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM

Ditto here...