PDA

View Full Version : Penn Jillette On Trump

Seshmeister
08-15-2018, 08:25 PM
I 100% believe this account and as a witness hugely more reliable than that dodgy Omarosa person. I'm not really sure why people think that if a tape of Trump saying ****** exists it would be such a big thing because to me context is everything and there is more than enough stuff about the character of Trump out there already - what difference does a word make compared to all the other stuff in the public domain about the guy already?

I think part of the reason Jillette is so guarded is that he has studied memory and knows people he respects who have fact checked their own drafts of autobiographies and found them to be completely wrong. Human memory is really shitty.

Regards the Celebrity Apprentice, has Arsenio Hall said anything yet? The phrase 'Uncle Tom' needs to be retired and replaced with 'Arsenio Hall'. His toe curling sickening blowjob of Trump on that show in a desperate attempt to win was hard to watch at the time, it must look super fucking bad now...

Does Mark Burnett have tapes of President TrumpOmarosa Manigault Newman has backed the claim that there is a tape of Trump using the N-word on Celebrity Apprentice. Not to be confused with the Access Hollywood tape, the alleged pee tape, the tapes Omarosa made in the White House, or the tapes Michael Cohen made of Trump. saying damaging things during Celebrity Apprentice?
Yeah, I was in the room.

You’ve heard him say …
Oh, yeah.

Can you tell me what you’ve heard him say?
No. If Donald Trump had not become president, I would tell you all the stories. But the stakes are now high and I am an unreliable narrator. What I do, as much as anything, is I’m a storyteller. And storytellers are liars. So I can emotionally tell you things that happened racially, sexually, and that showed stupidity and lack of compassion when I was in the room with Donald Trump and I guarantee you that I will get details wrong. I would not feel comfortable talking about what I felt I saw in that room — because when I was on that show I was sleeping four to five hours a night. I was uncomfortable. “Stress” is the wrong word, but I was not at my best. Then at the end of a day, they put you in a room and they bring out a guy [Trump] who has no power whatsoever and he’s capricious and petty and …

You’ve got to pretend to care what he thinks.
Yeah! It’s your job. You sit at this table and this man rambles — pontificates is giving him too much credit. And because you live in the modern world you’ve heard Trump ramble. But you’ve heard Trump ramble when he thinks he’s being careful. Imagine when he feels he can be frank. And I will tell you things, but I will very conscientiously not give you quotations because I believe that would be morally wrong. I’m not trying to protect myself. This really is a moral thing.

Just so I’m clear: It’s a moral thing because it would be wrong to misquote him or because you don’t want to unduly have an effect on politics?
If he hadn’t become president, I would be telling stories all day long. And if someone were to say, “Penn didn’t get that exactly right,” you’d go “Who cares?”

But now being accurate matters more.
Yeah, the stakes are really high. Not for me. Nothing I can say here hurts my career. But for the world the stakes are higher. He [President Trump] would be reading. And what I’m trying to do here is tell you the story emotionally without telling you specifics.

Okay, I think I follow your logic.
He would say racially insensitive things that made me uncomfortable. I don’t think he ever said anything in that room like “African-Americans are inferior” or anything about rape or grabbing women, but of those two hours every other day in a room with him, every ten minutes was fingernails on chalkboard. He would ask one cast member if he’d rather have sex with this woman or that woman. He would be reading on the web about a real-estate deal he’d made — like he’d sold his house for a certain amount and someone on some blog had said he should have gotten more. Then he would turn and say that making X amount on a house makes him a good businessman, right? I would say to him, “What are you talking about? You don’t know who it is reporting that. Is that Forbes?” He had no idea. So when it came to think about supporting him for president, I digested that information from being on the show with him and said, “Absolutely not. He would be a terrible president.” And because I’d been around him and some people cared what I thought, I said that publicly every chance I got — while also saying he’s a good reality show. You want someone capricious and petty and narcissistic to be on your reality show. And boy, I hate to say this, but playing tapes of him doing that job might be unfair. I want those tapes to be used against him, but it might be unfair.

Because whatever he might’ve said was occurring in the larger context of being on a reality show?
Yeah. You have friends who would say stuff to you over supper that, if you pulled out that chunk, you could ruin their career. But you’ve known them their whole life. You know the exact context. Context is really tricky.

But isn’t there enough of an established behavioral pattern with President Trump that tapes of him saying racially or sexually demeaning things maybe fits into the larger context of who he is and what he thinks?
That is fair. But I can’t stress this enough: I do not respect Donald Trump. Don Junior said — and I’m proud of this — that of everybody who had been on Celebrity Apprentice, I was the one who enjoyed it the most. By the way, I didn’t enjoy it. And I was also the one who liked his father the most. Don Junior said to me, “Why do you like him so much?” And I said, “I made a movie called The AristocratsProduced by Jillette, the 2005 documentary asks comedians and actors, including Carrie Fisher, Robin Williams, and Whoopi Goldberg to perform and discuss the lewd, improvisatory joke: a family visits a talent agent, describes some combination of vile behaviors, then the agent asks what the joke is called. The Aristocrats! .” [Laughs.] I like people when they don’t have filters. I like Tiny TimA very odd, not-so-tiny ukulele player with a high vocal range who become briefly famous in the late ’60s. . I like Bob Dylan. I like Neil Young. I like Sun RaThe bandleader, pianist, and Afrofuturist claimed he had been to Saturn, dressed his Arkestra in Egyptian headdresses, played raucous free jazz, and made a movie about leading the African diaspora to another planet. . I love the Beat poets. Which means if I’m in a room with Trump I’m happy to hear him talk. But I’m also happy to hear Charlie Manson talk. I have nothing good to say about Donald Trump as president.

Full interview at http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/penn-jillette-in-conversation.html

Nitro Express
08-16-2018, 01:28 AM
John Kelly had his hands full. Trump was running the White House like Trump Tower and there was no command and control structure. Trump thought he could run an open office with people coming in as they wished. John Kelly put a stop to that and started bringing more order to the West Wing and he butted heads with Trump doing so. I'm to the point I really question how much these presidents really run things. I always saw Valerie Jarret as the person running the executive branch and Obama just being a puppet character. The same with George W Bush. Cheney was running the show with him. Donald Trump's father found him to be a discipline problem so Donald got sent to military school. In a way, I see John Kelly kind of being a father figure to the president. Frankly I'm glad Kelly is there. He's got a tiger by the tail. Not an easy job by any means and this whole Omarosa circus is just a glimpse of it. You had Hope Hicks banging White House staff and creating love triangles. Kelly got rid of her too. If Trump had his way Omarosa would still be there and Hope Hicks would be there both a security liability. The west wing would be a reality show. Sadly that's what Americans vote for these days. Celebrities. It's why Trump won. That and people wanted someone who was an outsider. Neither Bernie or Trump were ideal. Hillary is a crook. No real good choices and all of thus has shown how corrupt our institutions of government, the media, and political parties really are. There are no good players here.

Nitro Express
08-16-2018, 01:44 AM
https://youtu.be/mJtLKqaNcbU

Terry
08-16-2018, 09:15 AM
John Kelly had his hands full. Trump was running the White House like Trump Tower and there was no command and control structure. Trump thought he could run an open office with people coming in as they wished. John Kelly put a stop to that and started bringing more order to the West Wing and he butted heads with Trump doing so. I'm to the point I really question how much these presidents really run things. I always saw Valerie Jarret as the person running the executive branch and Obama just being a puppet character. The same with George W Bush. Cheney was running the show with him. Donald Trump's father found him to be a discipline problem so Donald got sent to military school. In a way, I see John Kelly kind of being a father figure to the president. Frankly I'm glad Kelly is there. He's got a tiger by the tail. Not an easy job by any means and this whole Omarosa circus is just a glimpse of it. You had Hope Hicks banging White House staff and creating love triangles. Kelly got rid of her too. If Trump had his way Omarosa would still be there and Hope Hicks would be there both a security liability. The west wing would be a reality show. Sadly that's what Americans vote for these days. Celebrities. It's why Trump won. That and people wanted someone who was an outsider. Neither Bernie or Trump were ideal. Hillary is a crook. No real good choices and all of thus has shown how corrupt our institutions of government, the media, and political parties really are. There are no good players here.

I wouldn't say by appearances that Kelly has the tiger by the tail, but I'd agree that Kelly is probably doing the best he can.

I'm not really one who tends to overfetishize (is that even a word?) or go ga ga over military high command - even within the strict context of military missions themselves if you look at our track record over the last 25 years - in terms of that type of skill set being transferrable to civilian structures. And I don't think Kelly is one of the all-time greats in terms of generals.

But I'd agree that Kelly has at least tried to bring some sense of order to the flow of staffers having access to Trump, and trying to weed out some of the many 2nd and 3rd rate people Trump surrounded himself with mostly because they were loyal to him and not because they necessarily brought anything helpful to the table. It will always be an uphill battle for Kelly, because the tone and sense of discipline start at the top. At least Kelly has tried to create a semblance of order. I mean, whatever one thought of Valerie Jarrett or Obama's policies or whatever, you didn't get this vibe of 2nd rate reality tv chaos from the Obama White House. I suppose it's just reflective of the men in the office: Trump's White House functions the way it does because clearly that's how Trump wants it to.

ZahZoo
08-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Interesting read and I understand Jillette's perspective... especially the fallacy of human memory and placing a simple statement in full context. Not just the context of a brief moment, but the whole big picture of context of a lifetime.

There's a really important point he makes in this. Appears he has a really good grasp on the power of a statement or story. As he says... if Trump wasn't the POTUS he'd happily tell you stories of his encounters because "Who cares?" if it's just some flamboyant, billionaire businessman jackass. The implications of a story are
fairly trivial.

But frame this into the perspective of the real world leader of the most powerful nation on the planet... then all of a sudden the shit get real per se. What could be viewed as just some trivial thing now has the very real possibility of influencing matters with potential global impact. As much as people want to minimize Trump as some entertainment character, which he "was"... he is the President of the United States right now. His actions, statements and decisions carry very heavy responsibility for the nation and the world at large. It's no longer an element of just brief entertainment value and requires thoughtful consideration of all subjects on the table...

Kristy
08-16-2018, 10:36 AM
F A T magicians with shit politics. Yeah, been there.

Kristy
08-16-2018, 10:38 AM
But frame this into the perspective of the real world leader of the most powerful nation on the planet... then all of a sudden the shit get real per se. What could be viewed as just some trivial thing now has the very real possibility of influencing matters with potential global impact. As much as people want to minimize Trump as some entertainment character, which he "was"... he is the President of the United States right now. His actions, statements and decisions carry very heavy responsibility for the nation and the world at large. It's no longer an element of just brief entertainment value and requires thoughtful consideration of all subjects on the table...

You'd think the shitheads who voted for the embarrassing piece of trash would realize this. Then again.

Nitro Express
08-17-2018, 06:11 AM
I wouldn't say by appearances that Kelly has the tiger by the tail, but I'd agree that Kelly is probably doing the best he can.

I'm not really one who tends to overfetishize (is that even a word?) or go ga ga over military high command - even within the strict context of military missions themselves if you look at our track record over the last 25 years - in terms of that type of skill set being transferrable to civilian structures. And I don't think Kelly is one of the all-time greats in terms of generals.

But I'd agree that Kelly has at least tried to bring some sense of order to the flow of staffers having access to Trump, and trying to weed out some of the many 2nd and 3rd rate people Trump surrounded himself with mostly because they were loyal to him and not because they necessarily brought anything helpful to the table. It will always be an uphill battle for Kelly, because the tone and sense of discipline start at the top. At least Kelly has tried to create a semblance of order. I mean, whatever one thought of Valerie Jarrett or Obama's policies or whatever, you didn't get this vibe of 2nd rate reality tv chaos from the Obama White House. I suppose it's just reflective of the men in the office: Trump's White House functions the way it does because clearly that's how Trump wants it to.

I think where we are is the military realized they were being deployed for other reasons besides national security. We have wasted trillions of dollars and we have lot's of dead, injured, and people suffering from PTSD. The VA hospitals are pretty pathetic from what I hear and we have a lot of veterans committing suicide. Kelly lost his own son. I think we have a inner conflict in our government between military personnel who are tired of these senseless deployments and those who don't give a damn and just want to make money off the system. I'm not saying Trump is a complete puppet but I think people in the military are running the executive branch behind the scenes. That's what's probably upsetting certain factions in civilian intelligence more than anything. I think what we are seeing in the news is just a bunch of noise. I don't think presidents are as powerful as people think they are. We live in a world of illusion. There really isn't any difference between and $1 bill and a $100 bill other than the illusion that there is a difference. The only thing that gives that dollar any value is the illusion the US Government is sound. Well the most visible part of the government is the Executive Branch so there is great interest projecting a illusion that all is well. It's bullshit and as soon as enough people no longer believe the bullshit our economy crashes. So that's Trump's main job. Projecting an illusion the economy is going fine. The military will run the rest and with a major military project or base being in most congressional districts, I don't think they are too worried about the US Congress. Hell the last four presidents had the CIA up their ass or were the CIA themselves.

Nitro Express
08-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Unless you live in a swing state you have no say on who the president is going to be anyways. Washington state and New York state are going to give their electoral votes to the Democratic candidate and Wyoming is going to give it's electoral votes to the Republican candidate. I could have voted Hillary and it would make no difference. I actually wrote in Ron Jeremy for president. Yup. The hedge hog.

Nickdfresh
08-17-2018, 09:49 AM

I think John Kelly is effectively leading the "Deep State" shadow administration at this point while trump tweets and plays golf and pretends to make policy...

Nitro Express
08-17-2018, 04:49 PM
I think John Kelly is effectively leading the "Deep State" shadow administration at this point while trump tweets and plays golf and pretends to make policy...

Pretty much. Another problem is Trump really needs to negotiate tariffs for real. He's making threats and Tweeting up a storm. The markets are tired and unless the president gets his shit under control he himself could send us into another recession. I know the Democrats would love it but the problem is real people will get hurt. Is another bailout going to work? When do we hit the point where all this bailing out hurts confidence in the currency? The problem is everything else is a basket case as well and people just accept the dollar as being secure. Actually it's a bit scary when the security of your currency is based on people's naive stupidity. Haha! So we need to hope people just keep being stupid. Don't worry be happy!

Terry
08-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Unless you live in a swing state you have no say on who the president is going to be anyways. Washington state and New York state are going to give their electoral votes to the Democratic candidate and Wyoming is going to give it's electoral votes to the Republican candidate. I could have voted Hillary and it would make no difference. I actually wrote in Ron Jeremy for president. Yup. The hedge hog.

Maybe Ron Jeremy circa 1983...

Terry
08-17-2018, 10:08 PM
I think where we are is the military realized they were being deployed for other reasons besides national security. We have wasted trillions of dollars and we have lot's of dead, injured, and people suffering from PTSD. The VA hospitals are pretty pathetic from what I hear and we have a lot of veterans committing suicide. Kelly lost his own son. I think we have a inner conflict in our government between military personnel who are tired of these senseless deployments and those who don't give a damn and just want to make money off the system. I'm not saying Trump is a complete puppet but I think people in the military are running the executive branch behind the scenes. That's what's probably upsetting certain factions in civilian intelligence more than anything. I think what we are seeing in the news is just a bunch of noise. I don't think presidents are as powerful as people think they are. We live in a world of illusion. There really isn't any difference between and $1 bill and a $100 bill other than the illusion that there is a difference. The only thing that gives that dollar any value is the illusion the US Government is sound. Well the most visible part of the government is the Executive Branch so there is great interest projecting a illusion that all is well. It's bullshit and as soon as enough people no longer believe the bullshit our economy crashes. So that's Trump's main job. Projecting an illusion the economy is going fine. The military will run the rest and with a major military project or base being in most congressional districts, I don't think they are too worried about the US Congress. Hell the last four presidents had the CIA up their ass or were the CIA themselves.

The way most societies function, in terms of the structure, has more to do with a system of unquestioning generational perpetual motion.

People figure things are the way things are because that's the way it has always been and always will be. You can't fight City Hall, etc.

90% of the world's population scramble around doing meaningless tasks for scraps/crumbs from the table, and this 90% are too busy fighting factions inside the 90% to ever stop and wonder why the other 10% control everything.

Thankfully, porn is plentiful.

Seshmeister
08-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Unless you live in a swing state you have no say on who the president is going to be anyways.

California should split up into 10 states.

To put things in proportion Russia has half the GDP of California.