PDA

View Full Version : Tax Fraud, Conman in Chief

Nickdfresh
10-03-2018, 03:19 AM
Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes
as He Reaped Riches From His Father
The president has long sold himself as a self-made billionaire, but a Times investigation found that he received at least $413 million in today’s dollars from his father’s real estate empire, much of it through tax dodges in the 1990s.

By DAVID BARSTOW, SUSANNE CRAIG and RUSS BUETTNER

Oct. 2, 2018
President Trump participated in dubious tax schemes during the 1990s, including instances of outright fraud, that greatly increased the fortune he received from his parents, an investigation by The New York Times has found.

Mr. Trump won the presidency proclaiming himself a self-made billionaire, and he has long insisted that his father, the legendary New York City builder Fred C. Trump, provided almost no financial help.

But The Times’s investigation, based on a vast trove of confidential tax returns and financial records, reveals that Mr. Trump received the equivalent today of at least $413 million from his father’s real estate empire, starting when he was a toddler and continuing to this day.

Much of this money came to Mr. Trump because he helped his parents dodge taxes. He and his siblings set up a sham corporation to disguise millions of dollars in gifts from their parents, records and interviews show. Records indicate that Mr. Trump helped his father take improper tax deductions worth millions more. He also helped formulate a strategy to undervalue his parents’ real estate holdings by hundreds of millions of dollars on tax returns, sharply reducing the tax bill when those properties were transferred to him and his siblings.

These maneuvers met with little resistance from the Internal Revenue Service, The Times found. The president’s parents, Fred and Mary Trump, transferred well over $1 billion in wealth to their children, which could have produced a tax bill of at least $550 million under the 55 percent tax rate then imposed on gifts and inheritances.

The Trumps paid a total of $52.2 million, or about 5 percent, tax records show.

The president declined repeated requests over several weeks to comment for this article. But a lawyer for Mr. Trump, Charles J. Harder, provided a written statement on Monday, one day after The Times sent a detailed description of its findings. “The New York Times’s allegations of fraud and tax evasion are 100 percent false, and highly defamatory,” Mr. Harder said. “There was no fraud or tax evasion by anyone. The facts upon which The Times bases its false allegations are extremely inaccurate.”

Mr. Harder sought to distance Mr. Trump from the tax strategies used by his family, saying the president had delegated those tasks to relatives and tax professionals. “President Trump had virtually no involvement whatsoever with these matters,” he said. “The affairs were handled by other Trump family members who were not experts themselves and therefore relied entirely upon the aforementioned licensed professionals to ensure full compliance with the law.”
The Rest at NY Times (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html)

Seshmeister
10-03-2018, 10:38 AM
All of this confirms again that Trump is not a good businessman, in fact he was terrible.

If he had never touched any of the money and just stuck it in banks and investments he would be much better off. He lost a ton of cash as a businessman.

FORD
10-03-2018, 01:31 PM
And this is why the bloated orange fuck didn't want his tax records getting out.

ZahZoo
10-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Why does this matter to some people so much..?

It's clear that Trump was a political outsider prior to seeking office... All politicians game the financial systems to their own advantage. Does it really matter that Trump did exactly the same thing in a different industry..?

The only real difference I see is Trump had extensive experience manipulating finances/taxes prior to running for office.... where most politicians develop that skill once in office then gain huge riches during/after serving... They are all crooks!

Nickdfresh
10-03-2018, 04:17 PM

It's clear that Trump was a political outsider prior to seeking office... All politicians game the financial systems to their own advantage. Does it really matter that Trump did exactly the same thing in a different industry..?

The only real difference I see is Trump had extensive experience manipulating finances/taxes prior to running for office.... where most politicians develop that skill once in office then gain huge riches during/after serving... They are all crooks!

But didn't you vote for Trump because he was a political outsider that was going to drain the swamp that stop "Crooked Hillary"?

Um, most politicians don't actually money launder their inheritance to avoid tax bills. Unless you think of dictators as "politicians". Then completely lie and misrepresent their father's wealth as their own...

But, maybe when Trump finally gets around to shooting somebody on 5th Ave., you can continue to apply your silly moral relativism arguments. After all, Trump maybe a murderer, but Nancy Pelosi is a criminal too because she has traffic tickets...

This reminds me now of the movie "Suckers" about a car dealership where Reggie, the nefarious and morally bankrupt GM tells his salesman that nobody does anything about being blatantly fucked over, because they're so embarrassed that they have to continue to make excuses and even co-opt the con by sending in their friends to buy cars at stupid deals so they feel better about themselves...

Nickdfresh
10-03-2018, 04:20 PM
All of this confirms again that Trump is not a good businessman, in fact he was terrible.

If he had never touched any of the money and just stuck it in banks and investments he would be much better off. He lost a ton of cash as a businessman.

He only received a loan for$1 million he had to pay back with interest! The $200,000 salary he earned as an infant was hard work!

Nitro Express
10-03-2018, 10:29 PM

Haha! It keeps attention on the New York Times. They are trying to stay relevant. So since the whole Kavenaugh allegations are falling apart and the Mueller investigation is falling apart I guess we need some new dirt. It never ends and I like most people don't give a shit.

ZahZoo
10-04-2018, 09:53 AM
But didn't you vote for Trump because he was a political outsider that was going to drain the swamp that stop "Crooked Hillary"?

Um, most politicians don't actually money launder their inheritance to avoid tax bills. Unless you think of dictators as "politicians". Then completely lie and misrepresent their father's wealth as their own...

But, maybe when Trump finally gets around to shooting somebody on 5th Ave., you can continue to apply your silly moral relativism arguments. After all, Trump maybe a murderer, but Nancy Pelosi is a criminal too because she has traffic tickets...

This reminds me now of the movie "Suckers" about a car dealership where Reggie, the nefarious and morally bankrupt GM tells his salesman that nobody does anything about being blatantly fucked over, because they're so embarrassed that they have to continue to make excuses and even co-opt the con by sending in their friends to buy cars at stupid deals so they feel better about themselves...

Read your response a couple of times... try to focus on the subject matter being discussed, kinda hard to follow your train of thought, dude.

Still question why Trump's tax filings are important to you?

He was elected to be the leader of the country... not the Chief Tax Accountant.

I voted for Trump based on my assessment of the two candidates presented on the ballot. Those choices were selected by a majority of voters across the nation. I don't agree with that majority, but respect the process that got us to the election process. Neither candidate would have been my personal choice as the best person to serve in that role. Tax filings were not the deciding factors in my choice... from that perspective it's not an indicator of leadership attributes important to leading the nation.

Nitro Express
10-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Read your response a couple of times... try to focus on the subject matter being discussed, kinda hard to follow your train of thought, dude.

I voted for Trump based on my assessment of the two candidates presented on the ballot. Those choices were selected by a majority of voters across the nation. I don't agree with that majority, but respect the process that got us to the election process. Neither candidate would have been my personal choice as the best person to serve in that role. Tax filings were not the deciding factors in my choice... from that perspective it's not an indicator of leadership attributes important to leading the nation.

People with assets don't do their own taxes. They hire the best accountants they can. These accountants put their signature on the tax documents along with their clients. The game is pay as little tax as you can without going to jail. If you are an accountant good at playing that game you can make a great living and only have a few clients. Maybe if you are rich enough and have bought enough influence, maybe the IRS itself looks the other way. Of course you would have to have very good connections in Washington to pull it off and such people usually set up large foundations to launder the money in.

I voted for a New York real estate developer with good accountants who charge him a lot to find all the loopholes possible over a Washington insider who has a lot of powerful contacts with the large foundation. Haha!

Nickdfresh
10-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Maybe you should take your own advice, because I'm having a hard time following your train of thought.

But, you voted for trump because you're a sucker that believed his bullshit and the nonsense "anything but Hillary" and "draining the swamp" arguments....

And you're now going to rationalize that decision with nonsense posts essentially saying that even if he is a crook that was guilty of potential felonies, it's fine, everyone does it. Um, seriously, what in fuck are you basing any of that logic on?

And the issue isn't necessarily just "Trump's tax filings", not in scope. Maybe actually read the article before responding.

I mean, for fuck's sake, "why is Nixon lying about the Watergate break-in important to me?" I don't fucking know other than maybe the rule of law is important in a democracy?

It isn't that Trump made a mistake on his taxes, read the article dude...

Nickdfresh
10-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Haha! It keeps attention on the New York Times. They are trying to stay relevant. So since the whole Kavenaugh allegations are falling apart and the Mueller investigation is falling apart I guess we need some new dirt. It never ends and I like most people don't give a shit.

I'm sure the NY Times will do fine with a massive hundred something+ billionaire owning them. I'm sure he needs a good tax write off, a legit one...

But can you describe succinctly why the "Kavanaugh and Mueller" cases are "falling apart"? Or is this just more Nitrous Oxide hit and run nonsense

Nickdfresh
10-04-2018, 04:10 PM
People with assets don't do their own taxes. They hire the best accountants they can....Haha!

Oh for fucking fuck's sake, READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE!! Numbbutz....

It's not about clever accountants, it's about Trump (in part with his brother) orchestrating massive tax fraud and money laundering. No actual accountant would have overseen this for fear of prison...

Nitro Express
10-04-2018, 04:14 PM
I'm sure the NY Times will do fine with a massive hundred something+ billionaire owning them. I'm sure he needs a good tax write off, a legit one...

But can you describe succinctly why the "Kavanaugh and Mueller" cases are "falling apart"? Or is this just more Nitrous Oxide hit and run nonsense

Get back with me after Kavenaugh gets put on the court and Mueller resigns. If you think Trump is scum. Do some reading on Carlos Slim the owner of the New York Times. Please. If Trump was a Democrat he would be the best thing ever. It's all partisan bantering.

Nickdfresh
10-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Get back with me after Kavenaugh gets put on the court and Mueller resigns. If you think Trump is scum. Do some reading on Carlos Slim the owner of the New York Times. Please. If Trump was a Democrat he would be the best thing ever. It's all partisan bantering.

Sure, get back with me after your "don't get it/tonedeaf nonsense". The Democrats WANT him on the court! This has been nothing but a cake win for them, topped off with the Trump-mocking-Ford and Lindsey Graham-Lincoln Log gay Republican complete lack of empathy and faux-anger at the mistreatment of a creepy misogynous fake choir-boy douche cherries! That mobilizes moderate female and college educated male (read white) suburban and neo-urban voters toward the Democratic Party. What's the worst that happens according to Dems? He helps overturn Roe vs. Wade? LMFAO!! Goodbye GOP, hello splinter parties of perma-opposition.....

LMFAO!!! Mueller ain't resigning! I mean, seriously!! :D

Actually, wait until the Dems take the House and create a new theme park called "Subpoena Land". :) You have no idea what Drumpf is in for....

Seshmeister
10-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Get back with me after Kavenaugh gets put on the court and Mueller resigns.

You are killing your own argument here - Mueller is a Republican appointed by Republicans.

So even if a guy isn't partisan it's all just partisan according to you - even when it's one of your guys?

Seshmeister
10-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Do you not think a lot of people believed that he was a successful businessman though and that's why some people voted for him?

The image presented of him on The Apprentice was not that his one business skill was knowing how to hire someone to cheat his taxes.

Nitro Express
10-05-2018, 02:55 AM
You are killing your own argument here - Mueller is a Republican appointed by Republicans.

So even if a guy isn't partisan it's all just partisan according to you - even when it's one of your guys?

Not one of my guys. I'm not a Republican.

Nitro Express
10-05-2018, 03:06 AM
Sure, get back with me after your "don't get it/tonedeaf nonsense". The Democrats WANT him on the court! This has been nothing but a cake win for them, topped off with the Trump-mocking-Ford and Lindsey Graham-Lincoln Log gay Republican complete lack of empathy and faux-anger at the mistreatment of a creepy misogynous fake choir-boy douche cherries! That mobilizes moderate female and college educated male (read white) suburban and neo-urban voters toward the Democratic Party. What's the worst that happens according to Dems? He helps overturn Roe vs. Wade? LMFAO!! Goodbye GOP, hello splinter parties of perma-opposition.....

LMFAO!!! Mueller ain't resigning! I mean, seriously!! :D

Actually, wait until the Dems take the House and create a new theme park called "Subpoena Land". :) You have no idea what Drumpf is in for....

Ah ok. Then if the Dems want Kavenaugh on the court so bad how come they are throwing everything they can to keep him out? Also the FBI investigations are over. They have found nothing. Apparently many Democrats still trust the FBI. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty and that's the thing here. These investigations have found nothing. There was no Russian collusion. The FBI found nothing on Kavenaugh. You go on these emotional rants and frankly don't make much sense.

ZahZoo
10-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Do you not think a lot of people believed that he was a successful businessman though and that's why some people voted for him?

The image presented of him on The Apprentice was not that his one business skill was knowing how to hire someone to cheat his taxes.

Yeah, I do think a lot people voted for him because they thought he was a success in business. My opinion, doesn't support that. He had a lot of business failures, huge financial losses and "bad deals". Far from some business super-star... although he did have a enough success to stay in business and out of jail.

Another factor that helped his popularity was his media presence... again not something I believe positioned him to be a good government leader.

I was surprised Trump beat out the field of 16 Republicans in the primaries. I think another factor was people voting for what he was not... in other words, just sick of the same old establishment crap that got us to that point in time.

Nickdfresh
10-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Ah ok. Then if the Dems want Kavenaugh on the court so bad how come they are throwing everything they can to keep him out?

They don't want a conservative on the court, but he's an especially bad choice that galvanizes especially female voters of nearly every demographic against the GOP.

Also the FBI investigations are over. They have found nothing.

How do you know what they found? The reports haven't been made public?

Apparently many Democrats still trust the FBI. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty and that's the thing here.

A background check isn't a trial. People are routinely denied security clearances for lying and lying under oath. It's essentially a civil penalty even if one can be criminally charged for lying under oath/to the FBI...

These investigations have found nothing. There was no Russian collusion.

How the fuck do you know, Captain Non Sequitur? Other than the dozens of convictions and flips that have been made in the 'Russia Investigation'. Maybe you're too busy reading your conspiracy shit to realize that right now Mueller's investigation is essentially on a pause until after the elections...

The FBI found nothing on Kavenaugh.

Again. How the fuck would you know? When did you read the report and cite anything from it. Even if they completely ignored and failed to interview his ex-college roommates that tend to think he's a douche...

You go on these emotional rants and frankly don't make much sense.

And you make nonsensical comments pulled out of your ass, I mean you used to post Trilateral Commission and Bilderberg fucking nonsense along with your stream of bullshit "cool stories" from my bro!

Nickdfresh
10-05-2018, 06:11 PM
I was surprised Trump beat out the field of 16 Republicans in the primaries. I think another factor was people voting for what he was not... in other words, just sick of the same old establishment crap that got us to that point in time.

You mean that Republicans tend to be especially inept, unlikable, and are completely full of two-faced shit? Maybe that has to do a bit with the party platforms and the politically dumb white suburbanites and trailer-park dwellers that auto-vote them while demanding no actual substance?

ZahZoo
10-07-2018, 08:37 AM
You mean that Republicans tend to be especially inept, unlikable, and are completely full of two-faced shit? Maybe that has to do a bit with the party platforms and the politically dumb white suburbanites and trailer-park dwellers that auto-vote them while demanding no actual substance?

The same statement could apply to the Democratic party within establishment ranks. Just shuffle the nonsense racial slant to your pick of minority and change "trailer-park" to "city"...

I believe most Americans are growing very tired of the establishment games on both sides and complete lack addressing real issues in a reasonable and thoughtful manner.

Nitro Express
10-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I do think a lot people voted for him because they thought he was a success in business. My opinion, doesn't support that. He had a lot of business failures, huge financial losses and "bad deals". Far from some business super-star... although he did have a enough success to stay in business and out of jail.

Another factor that helped his popularity was his media presence... again not something I believe positioned him to be a good government leader.

Trump won because people wanted to punish the establishment. They put an outsider with no political experience into the Executive Branch. It was a form of revolt. It was what is left of the working class that voted for him. The people who aren’t on welfare who work for a living. This used to be the base for the Democrats but the working class and unions supported Trump. Why? They didn’t want their jobs being outsourced and they wanted to get rid of the high priced insurance Obamacare created. The rich who live on both coasts voted for Hillary. Trump got the middle America vote. One thing I might add, he had to get 18% of the Bernie supporters to win.

Nitro Express
10-07-2018, 03:59 PM
The same statement could apply to the Democratic party within establishment ranks. Just shuffle the nonsense racial slant to your pick of minority and change "trailer-park" to "city"...

I believe most Americans are growing very tired of the establishment games on both sides and complete lack addressing real issues in a reasonable and thoughtful manner.

Both parties are responsible for getting us into wars we shouldn’t have gotten into. Both parties are full of career politicians who spend their whole adult life in office and get rich as a result. Trump is no saint but man has the establishment gone into a panic with someone who isn’t a member of the club being in the White House. It’s created a mutany and the panic has exposed so much corruption. Trump winning basically pulled the establishment’s pants down and we now see how absolutely insane certain players in Washington are trying to stay in power and/or avoid jail.

Nitro Express
10-07-2018, 04:13 PM
They don't want a conservative on the court, but he's an especially bad choice that galvanizes especially female voters of nearly every demographic against the GOP.

How do you know what they found? The reports haven't been made public?

A background check isn't a trial. People are routinely denied security clearances for lying and lying under oath. It's essentially a civil penalty even if one can be criminally charged for lying under oath/to the FBI...

How the fuck do you know, Captain Non Sequitur? Other than the dozens of convictions and flips that have been made in the 'Russia Investigation'. Maybe you're too busy reading your conspiracy shit to realize that right now Mueller's investigation is essentially on a pause until after the elections...

Again. How the fuck would you know? When did you read the report and cite anything from it. Even if they completely ignored and failed to interview his ex-college roommates that tend to think he's a douche...

And you make nonsensical comments pulled out of your ass, I mean you used to post Trilateral Commission and Bilderberg fucking nonsense along with your stream of bullshit "cool stories" from my bro!

You really have no common sense. If there was anything in the FBI investigation that would hurt Kavenaugh it would have been used against him. Mueller’s investigation has gone on for two years and it originally was about Trump colluding with the Russians to win the election. When the investigation found nothing there it went off on many tangents. The Democrats were just hoping to stall the process of confirming a Supreme Court justice until after the election where they hope to take the US House and maybe even the senate back. What the Democrats do is if they can’t get any actual evidence they go for character assasination. Also they just don’t know when to quit and add in all the far left crazy mouths saying some extreme shit. To the average person it makes it look like the Democrats are power hungry and don’t give a shit about due process or even free speech. It’s a bad image to have and I think it’s going to hurt the Democrats getting votes in the election. Also people want strong leaders and a solid game plan. So far all I see is a bunch of old has beens and the only plan seems to be open borders, free everything and Trump sucks. It’s La La Land.

Seshmeister
10-07-2018, 08:33 PM
To be fair women still outnumber sexual predators on the court 3-2 so at least at any time one will be able to run for help...

Nickdfresh
10-08-2018, 03:11 AM
You really have no common sense....

If I have no common sense, then you must be fucking retarded! Reread your last three posts aloud to someone and see how stupid you sound! Trump is exposing corruption? For fucking fuck's sake he is! HIS OWN!!

Terry
10-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Not to come across as cheeky, but the standard is along the lines of: so what if Trump is a crook? Everyone else is, too!

Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Terry
10-08-2018, 07:15 AM

It'd be reasonable to assume a lot of people outside of New York prior to The Apprentice/2004 had heard of Trump in a limited way, with the focus probably being on his tabloid exploits a la Marla Maples and the like. For those of us who lived closer to New York during the 1980s and 1990s, there were a few reporters back then who took a hard look at the Trump businesses beyond the surface image. The conclusions they drew were at direct odds with the image Trump portrayed.

I do remember several Trump supporters in the runup to the 2016 election actually saying to me that Trump's bankruptcies and the like were just par for the course in doing business. His failures and comebacks were actually a plus for them, because many of these people had been teetering on bankruptcies on a micro level themselves for years: Americans love a comeback story. It didn't matter when I pointed out the particulars of, say, his New Jersey casino venture, and how ineptly that was run. Or how after that debacle Trump took money from dubious foreign sources of income because most American lending institutions wouldn't give him money because they saw him as a bad investment who would eventually likely purposely default on his loans and end up settling for pennies on the dollar.

And the impact of the image of The Apprentice shouldn't be underestimated with these voters. Trump must be a huge success, they reasoned, because I saw it on tv.

And I'd have to agree that if as a voter you were tired of the same old song and dance, Trump - along with Sanders - appeared to be the one true wild card during the primaries/elections. When Trump initially announced, part of me thought he didn't have much of a chance. Another part of me thought that none of the other 16 were exactly approaching a stellar rate of velocity, either. Just too many of them, for a start. Too many also rans, fringe players who never had a shot and were clearly in it for nothing other than something to do to raise their profile for future tv gigs or the lecture circuit. Unlike the rest of them, Trump didn't give a shit. He mostly said whatever he wanted to say whenever he wanted to say it.

ZahZoo
10-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Not to come across as cheeky, but the standard is along the lines of: so what if Trump is a crook? Everyone else is, too!

Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Yeah, as I stated it... it's a crappy standard not worthy of endorsement.

I question why people place so much value on a candidate releasing their past tax returns.

What are we measuring/assessing? Sources and/or levels of income? A value judgement of the accounting firm they chose and methods applied? Few people prepare their own tax filings... even fewer understand the thousands of pages of complex tax codes in play. So what do the numbers tell us?

Or... shall I be so bold as to propose it's all about people being nosy and then applying some snooty gossip fodder... oh look at him/her and all their money..?

Nickdfresh
10-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Yeah, as I stated it... it's a crappy standard not worthy of endorsement.

I question why people place so much value on a candidate releasing their past tax returns.

What are we measuring/assessing? Sources and/or levels of income? A value judgement of the accounting firm they chose and methods applied? Few people prepare their own tax filings... even fewer understand the thousands of pages of complex tax codes in play. So what do the numbers tell us?

Or... shall I be so bold as to propose it's all about people being nosy and then applying some snooty gossip fodder... oh look at him/her and all their money..?

What's the point of not releasing them? It might destory one's narrative of bullshit? If that were Clinton, you'd be mentioning it every other post...