PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson to the Red Sox

POJO_Risin
07-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Man...George would have an aneurism...

1. Nomar traded to free up money...

2. Sox have more prospects than the Yanks...

I see this happening before the Yanks getting him...

Pedro, Schilling and Randy...

some staff if it happens...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-08-2004, 04:18 PM
I tend to agree...

Randy's already said he doesn't want to play in NY....

bru87tr
07-08-2004, 05:07 PM
wasnt this already squashed by the sox ?

they need him for sure though.

POJO_Risin
07-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Yeah...Theo said they'd never consider it...

which means they are crunching the numbers as they speak...

POJO_Risin
07-09-2004, 02:47 PM
And now...

Schilling's wife is involved...lmfao...

consider this a done deal...

But it is more than "Internet BS," to parrot a phrase, that la familia Schilling is not subject to any such prohibitions in regard to their contact with Johnson, Curt Schilling's former teammate on the Arizona Diamondbacks (co-World Series MVPs in 2001), an occasional golf partner, and a neighbor just down the road in Paradise Valley, a sweet part of Scottsdale, Ariz. And yesterday, Major League Baseball fielded a request -- relayed indirectly from Shonda Schilling, Curt's wife -- that her seats for Tuesday's All-Star Game be placed next to Lisa Johnson, Randy's wife.

A neighborly thing, to be sure, but also a convenient opportunity for Mrs. Schilling to bend Mrs. Johnson's ear about the virtues of their husbands being reunited in Boston for a shot at a World Series in the Fens. Even the prospects of such a conversation would invite a lingering look -- and rampant speculation -- from the Fox TV people, one reason folks in Arizona probably wouldn't take kindly to such a seating arrangement.

Word last night was that the MLB folks had yet to make up their minds about whether to accede to Shonda's request. Historically, one team official said yesterday, tickets are divvied up by league, with the friends and family of the American League stars sitting separately from their counterparts in the National League. It remains to be seen whether they make an exception for Shonda Schilling, even if in just a few short months she has established herself as the First Lady of Red Sox baseball, nearly as omnipresent as her husband, who embodies the term "pitchman" in every sense of the word.

Schilling, who is a candidate to start for the AL Tuesday, is undefeated in Fenway Park this season, which might make someone feel invincible. But whether Schilling, who didn't hurt Terry Francona's chances of becoming manager last winter when he told the Sox that Francona in the dugout was what made Boston most appealing to him, can keep his winning streak alive by helping to recruit Johnson for the Sox is much more uncertain.

"These things take on a life of their own," said Schilling after the game. "I'm sure I'll see him, I'll talk to him, being friends. It will be up to him. It's something he's going to have to decide, something he's going to have to think about."

ALinChainz
07-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Just read tonight that Johnson's clear favorite is the Yankess.

POJO_Risin
07-10-2004, 08:08 PM
I read that too...

I also read that Shaq wanted to goto Dallas...;)

POJO_Risin
07-10-2004, 08:08 PM
We'll see what Randy accepts or declines...

another curious little scenario that's building...

He may be using NY...to build up the bidding....perhaps at the request of the DBacks...just a thought...

POJO_Risin
07-10-2004, 08:10 PM
If I gather from Epstein...I can't see him giving up the future for RJ...doesn't make sense...and he's to good a gm to screw up like that...so maybe he's just trying to get the Yanks to up the ante...

ALinChainz
07-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Its tough because Johnson is 42. You know he will demand an extension before accepting any trade.

He likes the Yanks becuase he is still 60 wins from 300 and figure they would be his best shot.

Rebel
07-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't know. With the motion of his pitches, I think he could have a few years left in him. His back is still a mess, that'll be what gets him in the end. I just hope he doesn't become a Yankee, anything but that. Imagine that, I'm not a Yankee fan!!

Bob_R
07-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Big Unit is still prime target

Saturday, July 10, 2004

By PETE CALDERA and BOB KLAPISCH
STAFF WRITERS

NEW YORK - Randy Johnson hasn't yet formally asked for a trade to a contender, according to sources close to the situation.

However, it seems inevitable that he'll be moved by the Diamondbacks - and the Yankees are earnestly watching every development out of Arizona.

According to one West Coast baseball official, Johnson's trade before the July 31 deadline seems inevitable.

"I think it's going to happen," the official said. "Somebody's going to make them an offer they can't refuse."

But will that offer come from the Yankees? Anaheim, Los Angeles, and the Cubs are said to be willing suitors.

According to a high-level source, the Diamondbacks told the Yankees this week that Johnson was not on the market. Club officials had not heard back from Arizona as of Friday night.

Also, Astros' and Yankees' officials insist Roger Clemens is going nowhere despite the Astros' free fall. The Rocket is a huge attendance draw, and has a future beyond his playing days in Houston.

Along with bolstering their starting staff for October, the Yankees are motivated to keep Johnson away from the Angels. The Red Sox, according to industry insiders, are not believed to be serious players for Johnson.

Arizona general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. did not return a phone call Friday.

Yankees' GM Brian Cashman said he would not comment on other teams' players, citing tampering rules.

The Yanks are also looking for a left-handed reliever, but Cashman said nothing is "hot" on the trade front, and that he did not expect to make a deal by the All-Star break.

"Considering our injuries, our pitching staff is still better than most, and I'm happy with what we have," Cashman said.

Owner George Steinbrenner has openly coveted Johnson, but Cashman said he received no mandates from Tampa. "The only directive I've been given is [to] win," Cashman said.

According to a published report Friday, Johnson has told his representatives that he would waive his full no-trade clause and consent to pitch for the Yankees.

Johnson, whose presence would alter any divisional race he enters, has $24 million remaining on a contract that runs through 2005.

Igosplut
07-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Shit Steinbrenner pay that without a problem. I dont think that he's going to end up here (Boston), Havent heard a word of talk about it....

Nomar, on the other hand is gone...Thats a fact. People say that he was sandbagging his injury to get back at them for the A-rod deal, But I think thats untrue. He's a hard player, always was.

But the honeymoons over, he turned down his last offer, and the word is that the management thinks the market has declined since then. He's not happy now, and you can see it.

I agree, all that has to happen is that the Sox show some interest in Johnson, and the Yanks will go all out to get him.......

BTW Happy Birthday Pojo......:gulp:

POJO_Risin
07-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Randy's exact quote on where he would like to go...

"I was really torn between the Boston clam chowder and the Manhattan clam chowder," he said.

he dead serious said that...so you tell me...

game...on....

POJO_Risin
07-12-2004, 06:11 PM
LMFAO...thanks bro...for the birthday wishes...still got a few days though...

High Life Man
07-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
If I gather from Epstein...I can't see him giving up the future for RJ...doesn't make sense...and he's to good a gm to screw up like that...so maybe he's just trying to get the Yanks to up the ante...

Bullshit dude. I'd give up everything to win a WS...and getting Johnson would be as close to a sure thing as their ever was.

Epstein would be a legend.

Then again, it is the Red Sox. After being traded, Johnson's plane would likely veer off course, fly over the White House and be blown to bits somewhere near the Chesapeake Bay.

Happy B-Day old man! Glad to see you made it another year. :D

POJO_Risin
07-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks bro...good to see you....

yeah...I don't know what the fuck I was thinking...

If Epstein could get him...he'd sell the damn farm....should sell the damn farm...

good god what a rotation that would be now...but think what it would have been three or four years ago...Jesus Christ...

the three of them would have 75 wins...

TLR
07-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Man...George would have an aneurism...

1. Nomar traded to free up money...

2. Sox have more prospects than the Yanks...

I see this happening before the Yanks getting him...

Pedro, Schilling and Randy...

some staff if it happens...

Can you imagine trying to beat that staff in a short series in the post-season? Would be next to impossible, I think. Of course that would mean the Sox would have to actually GET to the post-season!

POJO_Risin
07-13-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't think it COULD happen...

of course...they'd be pitching for the Red Sox...so...they'd probably get swept...

I think the interesting part of this potential deal that makes sense...is that the Red Sox would then become a seller...

I think they could really hit their minor leaguers in a deal for RJ...

then Re-Stock with Nomar deal...

it makes more sense with the Yankess...I Just don't see the Yanks having enough...they'd have to deal someone first...get some prospects...then deal them...I just don't think they have enough...

Igosplut
07-13-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by High Life Man

Then again, it is the Red Sox. After being traded, Johnson's plane would likely veer off course, fly over the White House and be blown to bits somewhere near the Chesapeake Bay.

LOL! Naw, It'd probably hit Shillings house while he was having Pedro over for dinner......

Igosplut
07-13-2004, 05:16 AM
Randy's exact quote on where he would like to go...

"I was really torn between the Boston clam chowder and the Manhattan clam chowder," he said.

he dead serious said that...so you tell me...

game...on....

"Was" being the operative word? I guess we'll see...... But like the A-Rod deal, and how things generally go for Boston I can see everybody getting pumped up for it only to have the deal unfurl at the last minute and RJ go to the Yanks....

Damn, Its hard being a Sox fan........

TLR
07-13-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't think it COULD happen...

of course...they'd be pitching for the Red Sox...so...they'd probably get swept...

I think the interesting part of this potential deal that makes sense...is that the Red Sox would then become a seller...

I think they could really hit their minor leaguers in a deal for RJ...

then Re-Stock with Nomar deal...

it makes more sense with the Yankess...I Just don't see the Yanks having enough...they'd have to deal someone first...get some prospects...then deal them...I just don't think they have enough...

You are right, of course. They ARE the Red Sox so some cosmic alignment of the planets would throw a gargantuan monkey wrench into their plans and all would go awry.

It would be interesting to see what the Sox could scrape together to send the D-Backs way in a potential deal for The Unit. Maybe they can send Kim back from whence he came?! If they want Johnson badly enough perhaps they'd consider sending Nomar packing to AZ and then just move Reese to SS.

As for the Yankees...well, that's where he'll probably end up going SOMEHOW. I stop all lines of logical thinking and just prepare myself for the worst possible outcome (anything in favor of the Yanks) whenever they get involved in something...especially if it means being able to take something the Sox want. All of that and I'm not even a Sox fan...just a poor Yankee Hater.

POJO_Risin
07-13-2004, 02:19 PM
The only way he'll end up in NY is if the Yanks offer up the money...I just don't think they have the prospects to get them...

Carmine
07-13-2004, 02:25 PM
...yeah george will just hand him his checkbook and tell him to return it when he's through. LOVE THE YANKS>

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Three team deal?

Arizona, Chicago and Boston...here's how it would work...as reported in the New York Times...

Nomar to the Cubs...for a ton of prospects...

those prospects to Arizona for RJ...

an interesting twist in this...

The Cubs...if unable to land Nomar...may go after Johnson themselves...you wanna talk about a staff?

How about this...

Prior, Randy Johnson, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano and Greg Maddux (with the belief that Clement would be a part of that deal)...

OUCH....

The Yanks are still in it...but only have two prospects RIGHT NOW to offer...Cano and Navarro...

should get interesting...

here's the article..

Garciaparra and Johnson Linked in Talks
By JACK CURRY

Published: July 14, 2004

ARTICLE TOOLS

E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints & Permissions

M.L.B.
Schedule/Results
Box Scores
Standings: A.L. | N.L.
Statistics: A.L. | N.L.
Probable Pitchers

READERS' OPINIONS

Forum: Join a Discussion on Major League Baseball

TIMES NEWS TRACKER

Topics
Alerts

Johnson, Randy

Boston Red Sox

Garciaparra, Nomar

Baseball

OUSTON, July 13 - The expected pursuit of Randy Johnson has officially intensified with the Boston Red Sox contemplating a two-part deal in which they would send Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs to secure prospects and then use those young players as part of a package to acquire Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

An American League team executive, who has been briefed on the trade discussions, said the Red Sox were talking with at least one team about using Garciaparra as a chip to help land the 40-year-old Johnson, who is a five-time Cy Young award winner. And that team is the Chicago Cubs, whose farm system is rich in pitching.

Garciaparra is a longtime star in Boston, but last winter the Red Sox were prepared to replace him at shortstop with Alex Rodriguez, who was with the Texas Rangers and is widely considered the best player in baseball. The Red Sox would have sent Manny Ramirez to Texas for Rodriguez, then shipped Garciaparra to the Chicago White Sox for Magglio Ordóñez. But after the Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez trade talks famously crumbled, Boston ended up keeping Garciaparra, who was stung by all the maneuvering. Rodriguez, of course, ended up with the Yankees.

Now the Red Sox are trying to outdo the Yankees for another future Hall of Fame player in Johnson and they see the Cubs as a possible conduit for making it happen. If the Red Sox cannot make a deal with the Cubs, they will try the same approach with other teams. The lightly regarded Rey Ordóñez currently plays shortstop for the Cubs because Alex Gonzalez has a broken wrist. The 30-year-old Garciaparra, who missed much of this season with an Achilles' tendon injury and is in the last year of his contract, would be a huge upgrade.

Johnson said on Monday that he would be amenable to waiving his no-trade clause if it benefited the Diamondbacks and if he went to a team with a strong chance of winning a World Series title. He said there is no list of teams, but the Yankees and the Red Sox are definitely interested and the Cubs were thought to be, too, although they may now be turning their attention to Garciaparra.

Whether Johnson would accept a trade to the Red Sox is uncertain. While Johnson and Boston's Curt Schilling combined to lead the Diamondbacks to a championship in 2001, it is believed that Johnson prefers to keep the more effusive Schilling at a distance. Still, Schilling has left several recruiting messages for his former teammate.

"There's a reason why I changed my number," Johnson said. It was not clear if he was joking.

Boston General Manager Theo Epstein declined to comment about Johnson through Peter Chase, a team spokesman. Similarly, Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman said he had no conversations with the Diamondbacks on Tuesday.

Even though Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez vowed to speak to Johnson during the All-Star Game festivities about pitching for the Yankees, Johnson said, "I didn't hear anything from any of those guys, so, again, that would be a rumor."

After Johnson stopped by Mike Piazza's locker before the All-Star Game to shake his hand, Piazza said, "Come to the Mets." Piazza said he made a recruiting pitch by telling Johnson that his wife would love the shopping and that his four children would enjoy the parks and museums in New York. But Johnson denied speaking to Piazza.

"I think he was being playful," Johnson said. "He didn't say anything to me."

Until now, Johnson has spent his long career playing in the relatively sedate surroundings of Montreal, Seattle, Houston and Arizona. How he would react to the more intense atmosphere of Boston or New York is not known, although he did run into difficulty Tuesday while bantering in the clubhouse with several New York-area reporters.

After Johnson checked Lawrence Rocca's press badge and noticed he was from The Star-Ledger of Newark, another reporter teasingly told Johnson to be careful because The Star-Ledger was the newspaper that the mobster Tony Soprano read in "The Sopranos.'' Rocca told Johnson the paper had a good real estate section if he needed to relocate to New Jersey.

"Now I'm not going to go there just because you guys are making a mockery of it," Johnson said, suddenly growing irate. "This is my livelihood."

Johnson told Rocca he was seeing Johnson's "dark side" and ordered him to "walk away." When Rocca did not immediately leave, Johnson told him it would be advisable to leave before he did something he regretted.

Perhaps the incident revealed that Johnson is on edge as he weighs his future. George Steinbrenner, the principal owner of the Yankees, is known to be fascinated with adding Johnson, a marquee pitcher who he sees in the same mold as Roger Clemens. Howard Rubenstein, Steinbrenner's spokesman, said Tuesday that Steinbrenner would not discuss Johnson.

Cashman spoke last week with Joe Garagiola Jr., the Diamondbacks' general manager, and the Diamondbacks said that Johnson was unavailable. The Diamondbacks would presumably include the Yankees in any kind of Johnson sweepstakes, even though New York does not currently have an abundance of minor league prospects.

The Yankees could include the Class AAA catcher Dioner Navarro and the Class AAA second baseman Robinson Cano, their two prime prospects, in a trade proposal. But the Diamondbacks would obviously want much more for their franchise pitcher and would probably wait until they got closer to the July 31 deadline before making a possible deal.

Cashman has told team officials he is confident about devising an enticing enough proposal to obtain Johnson. The Yankees are not interested in unloading José Contreras and absorbing a chunk of the $20 million left on his deal because they would be adding $24 million over the next season and a half if they snared Johnson.

Johnson is 10-7 with a 2.99 earned run average this season and has grown weary with losing with the last-place Diamondbacks. He argued with his teammate Luis Gonzalez after a botched fly ball last week and has been mostly testy with reporters who have asked trade questions.

"I'm not a nice guy," Johnson said. "I'm a mean guy."