PDA

View Full Version : Pop star George Michael silences the critics ... on own website

SoCalChelle
07-08-2004, 07:07 PM
(Something about this story seems vaguely familiar) ;)

Pop star George Michael silences the critics ... on own website

LONDON (AFP) - British pop star George Michael has decided to close down a fans' chatroom on his official website after messages accused him of being old, overweight and lazy.

The 41-year-old, one of the most successful pop musicians of recent decades, said he had been upset to see the forum "packed full of negative comment".

Some vistors to the chatroom at www.georgemichael.com had accused the musician of looking past his best, and of not sufficiently promoting his album, "Patience", the first new work in eight years.

In a message to fans posted earlier this week, Micheal, born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in London to Greek Cypriot parents, said he had had enough.

"I'm afraid that, having visited the forums on a regular basis over the past few months, simply to see how you guys thought the album/interviews/promotion were going, I have decided to close them down," the message read.

Michael said he found it "really sad to see the forums so packed full of negative comment, and that so many genuinely positive fans find themselves defending me (or themselves) constantly against attack."

"There are plenty of places to read people slagging each other off, but I wasn't trying to create one in opening the forum.

"Those of you that want to carry on the media's work will have to do it somewhere else I suppose."

Michael is famously wary of the media, having been ridiculed over events such as his 1998 arrest in Los Angeles for lewd behaviour in a public toilet, which prompted the secretive star to finally acknowledge his homosexuality.

However some fans using the website on Thursday -- the chatroom will be closed down later this month -- were scathing.

"It's a fans' forum, it's freedom of speech and I don't think it's down to George to take his ball home and say 'I'm not playing any more'," one wrote.

Fabulous Shadow
07-08-2004, 07:23 PM
You gonna open the Tomented GM Fans Board Chelle? LOL

pkolb
07-08-2004, 09:00 PM
If this Hagar reunion doesn't work out, perhaps George can fill the VH slot, as his voice seems suitable for the post-Dave music.

BrownSound1
07-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Shutting down your own message board because of a little criticism? How gay is that? About as gay as George Michael.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Shutting down your own message board because of a little criticism? How gay is that? About as gay as George Michael.

Maybe he should have called his forums the Pleasure Dome !!!!

Speaking of shutting down your own forums.....

Chris
07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Perhaps he should never have exposed his forums in the first place? :D

BITEYOASS
07-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I bet George Michael some advice from Brett on how to run a website while at the bath house! :D

SoCalChelle
07-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Maybe he should have called his forums the Pleasure Dome !!!!

Speaking of shutting down your own forums.....

LOL, that's what I meant when I said there was something vaguely familiar about this story. :)

Va Beach VH Fan
07-09-2004, 07:07 PM
LOL Chelle....

I for one would love to see the Dome open back up, if only to see the madness that would consume it for about three days before Brad shut it back down.... ;)

Hecubus
07-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Peace & Patience.

tobinentinc
07-10-2004, 01:05 AM
What did he honestly expect?? He's George Michael a gay washed up 80's singer from a band called Wham! My god, you'd think he'd be used to it by now.

Panamark
07-10-2004, 02:20 AM
I wonder if George Michaels web-server is housed in a public toliet ?

Warham
07-10-2004, 02:34 PM
It does sound like Brett might be running that site as well.

Wayne L.
07-11-2004, 02:31 PM
George Michael should stop worrying about what his fans say about him instead of whining like a 4 year old who lost his candy!!!

FORD
07-11-2004, 09:20 PM
?

Hecubus
07-12-2004, 01:11 AM
George Michael is George Michael.

SoCalChelle
07-13-2004, 03:51 PM
LOL! Ah, the memories :D