PDA

View Full Version : Shaq accepts deal to the Heat

POJO_Risin
07-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Well...not the fireworks I was looking for...but Miami gets to keep Wade...so all in all...I'd say a good deal for him...

Shaquille O'Neal has reportedly agreed to a trade that will send the center to the Miami Heat in exchange for Caron Butler, Lamar Odom and Brian Grant.

According to a broadcast report, the deal has not yet been finalized. During Saturday's press conference to announce Rudy Tomjanovich as the team's new coach, Lakers G.M. Mitch Kupchack denied that O'Neal had been traded.

The Lakers had asked for rookie sensation Dwyane Wade, but the Heat refused to part with their emerging franchise player.

Things deteriorated so badly in Laker land that there virtually became no chance or scenario where O'Neal would have returned to Los Angeles next season. Lakers owner Jerry Buss was committed to "deal" the superstar center.

The tumultuous situation between Buss and O'Neal started during training camp, when O'Neal demanded an extension and yelled, "Now you gonna pay me!" at the owner during an exhibition game.

Buss also was frustrated by O'Neal's lack of conditioning and consistent demands for more money, sources disclosed. O'Neal wanted a two-year, $60 million extension.

O'Neal did express a desire to play for Rudy Tomjanovich, who was announced as the Lakers' new coach on Saturday. But with all bridges burned, the three-time NBA Finals MVP appears to have played his last game for the purple and gold.

"I just feel terrible for Rudy because I wanted to play for him," O'Neal said. "But I ain't coming back there."

I just don't see the Lakers getting the value they needed for Shaq...and how about the Mavericks...

stuck with all that dead weight in the Walker deal...lmfao...good for them...

Snoo
07-10-2004, 05:22 PM
What a selfish dick, yelling at the owner DURING A GAME? If the Lakers keep Kobe, I give them two months before him and Butler start killing each other over shots. Looks like it'll be a few years of Spurs/Rockets in the Western Finals.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-10-2004, 05:24 PM
The Lakers still got shafted IMO...

Now if Wade were substituted for Grant, now you might have something....

POJO_Risin
07-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Well...if the Lakers couldn't get Nowitzki...there isn't a deal this side of the moon that the Mavs could offer that would be equal to Shaq...

Grant gives them a big man (not a great one...but better than nothing)...

Odom...well...I can see him imploding in LA...

and Butler...well...Snoo said it best...

I can't see this move making Kobe happy...maybe he'll bolt too...

Rebel
07-10-2004, 09:08 PM
They're gonna have to cut the damn ball in half with Butler and Bryant on the same team. I'm looking forward to watching Kobe flounder in mediocrity. I'm not a Shaq fan really, but he's what made them go IMO, Kobe was just icing on the cake out there.

ALinChainz
07-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Clippers are going to make the biggest late push I think.

That would give them the premeire draw in LA now that Shaq is gone.

I agree though, Kobe is going to want to carry the complete load every night for whomever he's playing for.

Not a Kobe fan at all. His shooting percentage will be a career low this season I'm thinking.

Rebel
07-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
His shooting percentage will be a career low this season I'm thinking.
Exactly what I'm thinking. His only experience in the league is playing beside, whether you like him or not, the most dominant force in the league (cept for maybe Duncan or KG). Kobe is about to get a wakeup call.

Warham
07-10-2004, 10:33 PM
I actually think the Lakers are willing to get less than what they want for Shaq because I think they believe he doesn't have that much left in the tank. He's not really good defensively anymore. He's doing a Kareem Abdul Jabbar in his 30's as well.

Kobe will be fine without him. The Lakers will be fine without him. It might take five years, but they'll be back. You don't win 14 championships on being a bad franchise. Shaq's replaceable, just like every other player they've ever had.

Snoo
07-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Yeah, but Jerry West replaced those players.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I don't see Shaq thriving very well this year....

He hasn't been in shape for a couple of years now, and now he's going to a team that has given away the nucleus of their team, less Wade....

Defenses are just going to collapse around Shaq and make the perimeter guys beat them....

Warham
07-11-2004, 09:25 AM
That's what Detroit did to the Lakers, but Bryant was the only one who could hit shots from the outside.

JCOOK
07-13-2004, 05:04 AM
FUCK YOU SHAQ: YOU MADE YOUR BED NOW "LIE" IN IT. THE LAKERS LOVED YOU AND YOU SHIT ON US, JUST LIKE YOU DID TO ORLANDO. YOU BIG SPOILED PUSSY WAIT UNTIL WE PAY FOR YAO MING----- GOOD RIDDENCE FAT ASS!

POJO_Risin
07-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Yah Ming...christ...

as long as Mitch Kupchak is GM in LA...the Lakers will disolve themselves into mediocrity...

that simple...

Scottie Pippen can't win a...ooops...sorry...Kobe can't win a title...can't carry a team...unless someone else is there to carry the load...if it's on the line...Kobe can't do it...period...

ALinChainz
07-13-2004, 01:29 PM
He wanted an extension, they didn't love him enough to give him one.

Kobe ball hogged a lot in the finals, Shaq still went for 27 and 13, there abouts.

Kobe had a huge hand in the coach leaving and the new coach selection, Shaq did not.

He is going to have a chip on his shoulder major in my opinion and will be motivated to have his best season in awhile.

Give me Shaq over Kobe anytime. Even out of shape, he is the man in the NBA, hands down.

JCOOK
07-13-2004, 01:38 PM
The lakers will do what they always do-- go buy themselves a center -- who? remains to be seen-- what ever happened to honoring your present contract ? when its up then negotiate.

twonabomber
07-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
what ever happened to honoring your present contract ?

those days are long gone and ain't coming back.

POJO_Risin
07-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I fucking Love it...

A Laker fan who's trying to hammer the one guy THAT GOT THEM THE TITLE...

Yeah...they are going to go out and get fucking Vlade...lmfao...

congrats...he'll get you a title...just like all those titles he got Charlotte, and Sacramento...and...oh yeah...all those Laker titles he was part of...

Shaq and Phil...won them titles...

Kobe's a piece of shit...it doesn't matter who they sign...because it won't be about winning...but about taking shots...

welcome to mediocrity...the Lakers won't be able to buy a title as long as Kobe's there...period...

POJO_Risin
07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
and if you think this is all about a contract...you are fucking crazy...

it's about a punk up for rape...leading management by the balls...

watch him leave...then I'll get to hear you bitch about Kobe as well...

Warham
07-14-2004, 06:59 AM
Shaq didn't win anything without Kobe. What happened in Orlando, when he had Penny?

You guys are slamming Bryant, but we haven't even seen one season where he's played without Shaq.

I'll bet any of you guys $50 to take the Heat to win the championship faster than LA will do it again. Jerry Buss will not stand for mediocrity. It might be three to four years, but they'll be back. The track record says it all.

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
No...don't think the Heat is going to EVER win the title....with a 27 million dollar deal...

I mean...for fuck sake...the cap's only 44 million...

you can't field a winner with one guy...well...2...

Will the Lakers win it all?

Not with those Heat guys...

and before we get ahead of ourselves...they better fucking SIGN Kobe first...

True Warham...the great unknown is that Kobe's never played without Shaq...very true...I will give you that one point...

but...Kobe and Shaq never won shit...until Phil Jackson took over...

so maybe we're both trumped...

I like Tomjanovich though...

If Kobe signs with the players they got from the Heat...and the lakers can manage to get a big man other than Vlade (perhaps Z from the Cavs)...they have a shot next year...

and I believe Z would be ideal for the Lakers...a garbage man who doesn't command the ball...but cleans up a ton of messes...

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 08:45 PM
And yeah...still slamming Kobe...

I didn't really think there were actual KOBE fans...

Warham
07-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Lakers fan only.

If Kobe signed with the Clippers, see ya later.

I've always stayed with the teams first, players second.

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Amen brother...Amen...

remember the day when players STAYED WITH THEIR TEAMS...

christ...so much for that shit...

can't believe Kobe is even contemplating that shit...

Warham
07-14-2004, 09:10 PM
I can't either, but I understand it from a business perspective. He wants the Lakers to give him that max deal.

I honestly can't believe he'd think he would ever win with the Clips.

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Well...the thing is...the Clipps as they look now would be an interesting proposition...would be good...

Brand, Kobe, and Maggete would more than likely all average over 20 a game...

and like their point...Jalic...good young player...

but...alas...they'd end up dealing them all but Kobe...

Warham
07-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey, the Lakers could have a pretty good team.

I've heard alot of good things about Odom and Butler.

I've seen Grant many times when he was in Portland. He's the throw in.

I don't know if that #1 pick will be worth anything.

The Lakers will at least have cap room next year, huh? :D

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Odom was fantastic in college...but paid...lmfao...and seems to be coming into his own...averaged 17 a game...and 8 boards...

Grant has turned into a fantastic defensive player...and an okay offensive player (definately down from his Western days) 7 points and 9 boards...and Butler is outstanding....13 and 8 boards...

and the first rounder...really a throw in...and who knows what the Heat will do...

Lou
07-14-2004, 09:45 PM
POJ remember it is a "soft cap." How many teams are at or under the cap? Very few. Most teams are at least in the mid-50's on their caps if not higher because they have to re-sign their own players, which you're allowed to do without any cap consequences other than that luxury tax which kicks in around $55M.

Snoo
07-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Shaq didn't win anything without Kobe. What happened in Orlando, when he had Penny?

You guys are slamming Bryant, but we haven't even seen one season where he's played without Shaq.

I'll bet any of you guys $50 to take the Heat to win the championship faster than LA will do it again. Jerry Buss will not stand for mediocrity. It might be three to four years, but they'll be back. The track record says it all.

You can't blame him for not winning the title. The '95 Rockets were one of the most clutch teams ever. A lot of experts say that even if Jordan had played the whole season, the Bulls wouldn't have been able to stop the Rockets that year.

POJO_Risin
07-14-2004, 10:20 PM
There were only 7 teams under the "cap" this year...

and I realize that it's a soft cap...but only for current players on your roster...

or for a sign and trade deal...

Satan
07-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Too bad for the Fakers.....NOT!

Maybe next time, they'll try to build a team instead of buy one - or depend on two guys who hate each other to do everything.

Lou
07-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Satan
Too bad for the Fakers.....NOT!

Maybe next time, they'll try to build a team instead of buy one - or depend on two guys who hate each other to do everything.

I'm a Sixers fan but you know what, I think they came out alright with Shaq and Kobe, having won 3 championships and appearing in a 4th NBA Finals.

How many other teams have won 3 championships in a row in the last 30 years? The Bulls. That's it.