PDA

View Full Version : Who's Next

ZOSO
07-11-2004, 10:16 PM
I've kicked myself for way too long about not actually owning this, so I plan on changing that tomorow. I don't need to go into how much of a classic Who's Next is; that's been said widely for years now. I'm more concerned w/ getting the definitive version of it (although it can be argued that there still is no real "definitive" version). I'm considering getting either the mid 90's remaster or the Deluxe Edition (sorry, no canadian import here). Overall, sound's my biggest concern. The extra tracks & live disc would be cool, but I'm not a big enough Who fan for them to be any deciding factors. If anyone could just tell me if the Deluxe Edition really does sound that much better I'd appreciate it.

FORD
07-12-2004, 01:32 AM
The Mid 90's Remaster sounds great to me, and it includes all the extra studio tracks that are on the deluxe as far as I know.

The only live Who album you'll ever need is Live at Leeds. This also is available in either the "extended" mid 90's remaster - probably twice as long as the original vinyl. Or it also has the deluxe edition - which includes a complete performance of "Tommy"

So if you like the Tommy stuff, or just want the complete show, go with the double disc on that one.

Rikk
07-12-2004, 01:51 AM
The new edition is great for all the concert stuff from the time and early recordings of the stuff...with lots of bonus songs. Unfortunately, not all the b-sides extra tracks from the original '95 remaster are on the new edition (I don't think the new one has the amazing song I DON'T EVEN KNOW MYSELF). But really, the new double-disc DELUXE EDITION should do you fine. After that, I'd try QUADROPHENIA (only one remaster of that, and it's great). And damn well take FORD's awesome advice and buy LIVE AT LEEDS!!!!

Mr Badguy
07-12-2004, 07:52 AM
I`ve got the original remaster (mid 90`s).

Although some of the bonus tracks are great, I thought they diluted the power of the album.

It makes it overlong and it`s quite a daunting task to listen to it all in one go.

They should have put the extra tracks on a second disc.

Don`t know why Townsend insists on spoiling some of his songs with that annoying falsetto vocal he sometimes includes (ala the Teenage wasteland part of "Baba O`Rielly").

I digress...the sound on the "Who`s next" I`ve got is alright, unlike "Tommy" (also mid 90`s) which sounds very dull and only the strength of the songs save it.

I don`t know if either are from the original tapes, although I have heard the original masters for "Tommy" were burned by their manager after the album was mixed in some wierd kind of celebration.

What a good idea that was.

How does "Tommy" sound on the deluxe edition of "Live at Leeds"?

ZOSO
07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. Just to clarify, the Deluxe Edition does use the original master tapes unlike the 95 edition. Also I heard somewhere that the tracks fade out in the Deluxe version but I don't really know if that's the case.

Wayne L.
07-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Who's Next by the Who is one of the greatest classic rock albums of all time with few equals no matter if it comes in a new format!!!

tobinentinc
07-12-2004, 11:32 PM
I have the 90's remaster, and it Rocks.

ZOSO
07-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Let's not forget the price here, either. The 95 is around $13, whereas the Deluxe is $30. For that kinda price increase, the master tapes had better make this 1 sound NOTICEABLY better than its predecessor.

Alex Mogilny
07-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Get The deluxe edition. It is worth the money. The live album that is disc 2 is just outstanding.

This is the performance where the Stones were hesitant about following The Who because of the stellar performance. The Stones have only released a couple of song from this 'Rock N Roll Circus'. Mick was quoted as sying something like....why bother The Who Blew us off the stage!

Pick it up!

Satan
07-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
Get The deluxe edition. It is worth the money. The live album that is disc 2 is just outstanding.

This is the performance where the Stones were hesitant about following The Who because of the stellar performance. The Stones have only released a couple of song from this 'Rock N Roll Circus'. Mick was quoted as sying something like....why bother The Who Blew us off the stage!

Pick it up!

The Who performance on the Deluxe Who's Next is from the Rock n Roll Circus?? I did not know that!

**Sends the dragons out for a Hell-wide search for the deluxe Who's Next**

Alex Mogilny
07-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, it is from the Rock N Roll Circus. Very intimate performance; a very good performance.

Please let me know what you think after you listen to it.

flappo
07-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Who's Next by the Who is one of the greatest classic rock albums of all time with few equals no matter if it comes in a new format!!!

i agree

buy your posts still sound like some fucking hack , over active , mid west , pissant dj , knock it off before i get pissed off and own ya

:D

oh , i just did

Alex Mogilny
07-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
Yes, it is from the Rock N Roll Circus. Very intimate performance; a very good performance.

Please let me know what you think after you listen to it.

I am incorrect!
The performance on Who's Next was done in 1971. They debuted some songs of of Who's Next to a very small audienc of about 50 people at The Young Vic Theater.

Sorry about the mistake.

However, it is still an EXCELLENT performance.