PDA

View Full Version : Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet

Wayne L.
07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Slippery When Wet is the only great classic rock album by legendary 80's rock band Bon Jovi which defined 80's rock even though it's not a masterpiece like Abbey Road, Exile On Main St., Paranoid, Houses Of The Holy, Rocks, Destroyer, Highway To Hell & Women & Children First because even though BJ has released many more albums since & two before SWW they are nothing but a one album wonder like most 80's rock bands from Motley Crue to Ratt to Guns-N-Roses which is why it's pathetic that that the media call frontman Jon Bon Jovi a rock legend in the same leagues with a Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton & Eddie Van Halen when he isn't at all despite being around for 20 years!!!

DR CHIP
07-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Um...its because Bon Jovi has sold the most albums of anyone except the Beatles.

Like em' or not...they were huge.

DR CHIP
07-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
Um...its because Bon Jovi has sold the most albums of anyone except the Beatles.

Like em' or not...they were huge.

Hard to believe they have sold over 100 million albums....

BrownSound1
07-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Bon Jovi was a poser band....when I was in school if you listened to them you were a pussy.

Figs
07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Bon Jovi was a poser band....when I was in school if you listened to them you were a pussy.

I concur. Though very popular, I feel that men should not be Bon Jovi fans. I can forgive the occasional jingoistc "Jersey-guy" who feels he must be a fan.

Bon Jovi, Winger, Night Ranger, Van Hagar

Mezro
07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
We used to beat the crap out of the kids with Bon Jovi shirts on. Hell, we even shit on a kid who dared to sport a Warrant hat.

Don't ask what happened to the poor fucker with the DEVO stickers all over his jacket.

Mezro...philly was tough if you wore the wrong swag

Seshmeister
07-12-2004, 04:18 PM
The biggest misconception about them was that they sold out but their first album is the poppiest of them all.

Like many guys over the years I was dragged to a Bon Jovi gig (New Jesey tour) by a girl and I had to grudgingly admit they put on a hell of a show.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Golden AWe
07-12-2004, 05:04 PM
I have to say I like two of their songs: "Hey God" and "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night"..."Someday..." is a very relaxed and smiling song...like the cyrup, pussy-version of "Could This Be Magic?"

:p

tobinentinc
07-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I have it :eek:

Panamark
07-13-2004, 07:15 AM
I can think of worst things to listen to...

And they all involve Sammy Hagar...

Mr Grimsdale
07-13-2004, 07:56 AM
personally i find the sound of my parents having sex more unpleasant

....and it wouldn't be so bad if it was with each other

Golden AWe
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
personally i find the sound of my parents having sex more unpleasant

....and it wouldn't be so bad if it was with each other

LMBSNAO!!!!

OH THE TRAUMAS!!!

I think this would require a new thread

DiamondDoug
07-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Bon Jovi New Jersey was also a classic album. Hey, Wayne, get a clue, pal. Motley Crue was a one album wonder? And GNR? And Ratt? What the fuk ever, Chief. This is the first I've met someone who liked the 70's but hated the 80's. The 90s and 00s have sucked ass, but the 80's were awesome. Despite what you think of their looks, the hair bands had tons of guitar talent and stage presence, and the bands you named were hardly one-album wonders.

Wayne L.
07-17-2004, 04:17 PM
If anybody compares Bon Jovi to legendary rock bands like Led Zeppelin & Aerosmith you SHOULD be put in a mental institution for stupidity 101!!!

BIGBADZERO
07-24-2004, 03:14 PM
New Jersey is definitely better than SWW. Their only two good albums. JBJ makes me sick now.

Wayne L.
07-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Bon Jovi is one of the greatest rock bands of the 80's but they aren't one of the greatest rock bands of all time like Led Zeppelin & Aerosmith. BJ is all about their one great classic rock album Slippery When Wet & nothing more even their hardcore fans would admit because their other albums don't exist in their minds or their fans. Jon Bon Jovi is a second rate frontman who is the poster rocker for the MTV generation with his famous 80's haircut & his homogenized rock & roll with his band who thinks he's a rock legend for some reason.

alexpgrimes
07-26-2004, 08:21 AM
All I know is that they are popular in the strip clubs..

Warham
07-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Bon Jovi hasn't sold 100 million records in the U.S. In fact, after doing 5 seconds or research, I've found that they've sold 33.5 million in the U.S., good for #44 on the all-time list, just four spots below the Backstreet Boys.

Even if they had sold 5 times that amount, they still would be behind the Beatles in the U.S. alone.

Chaz Rock City
08-05-2004, 02:39 AM
Liking Bon Jovi got me on VH1 for 10 seconds. When VH1 did their Fanatic skow on Bon Jovi ust of the concert footage was fro the Pittsburgh date of the Crush tour. Before going to commerical they focused on my friend Smitty and me for about 10 seconds. I think they used us because Smitty has long hair, and I was screaming like a motherfucker.

Panamark
08-05-2004, 10:43 AM
I didnt hate these fuckers in Oz like you all did. Actually I remember thinking at the time, cool !! Although it wasnt pure Metal, it drew the spotlights back towards the "Big Rock" deal.....

Im not even a fan of theirs, but I appreciate their contribution.
They had some cool songs.. But some crappy cheeseball
ones too... But they were keepin it alive for a while.....

Ok, time for a speed metal fix........
(SHUDDER) I almost felt like hitch giving a Van Hagar review then !

frenchie
08-05-2004, 11:39 AM
how old is jon bon jovi today? this guy could be a good actor, if he was not playihg in ally mac beal!

Carmine
08-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

true, but if you didnt listen, you didnt GET much pussy either....

Antman
08-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't think that the words great, classic, rock, and legendary can be used in the same sentence as Bon Jovi.

Antman
08-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Maybe the words suck, pussies, acid washed and New Jersey can be used though.

Susie Q
08-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I dunno...I liked them. I grew up in the whole 80's hair band scene. Those were my teenage years, and I tell ya....I loved it. Actually, I kinda miss those days too.

Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Cheap Trick
Van Halen
Uriah Heep
Skid Row
Cinderella
Warrant
Poison
Ratt
Dokken
even.....omg I don't believe I will say this.....Stryper.
Trixter
Quiet Riot
Queen
Winger
Judas Priest
AC/DC
Motley Crue
Scorpions
Black and Blue
Blackfoot
REO Speedwagon
Journey
Kansas
Aerosmith

etc....
etc....
etc.....

p.s. there is no semblence to this list

DavidLeeNatra
08-18-2004, 09:52 AM
I saw bon jovi as an opening act in 1986 at the monsters of rock in nuremberg (germany)...second opener after doro pesch (slippery was not out yet)...the crowd was like "who the fuck is that gay poser...get the fuck off the stage for the real bands" in the beginning...he sang for his life and got the crowd on his side...I have to pay respect for that, even if BJ sucks now...

WolfStar999
08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
The only reason he got famous is because he has a good smile and is eye candy for chicks. Granted, I don't begrudge him getting some action, but the least he could've done is play some decent tunes like Def Leppard or Motley Crue to keep the ROCK MUSIC FANS happy. And as for New Jersey, there are only three good exports from the Garden State, and they would be...

1. My Grandma (Born in NYC, lived in Jersey) :D
2. The Misfits :killer:
3. Kevin Smith :rofl:

So Mr. Pearly Whites can go fuck off and die. Need I say more?!

Shaun Ponsonby
10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Bon Jovi is one of the greatest rock bands of the 80's

Jon Bon Jovi is the one person I hate more than Spammy Hagar. And I thought you'd all be interested to know that the band who have sold more albums and conert tickets than anybody else is, quite suprisingly, Pink Floyd, followed by Led Zepplin, U2(?) and Queen. The Beatles are actually 8th (See Pink Floyd & Co for full top 10)

Coyote
10-30-2004, 06:00 AM
I don't have it, but I know what it did to other bands back in the day:
Turned 'em from originators into copycats/pussies, just to get more records sold...

Coyote
10-30-2004, 06:01 AM
Besides, 7800° Fahrenheit is a better album.

Hecubus
10-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Slippery When Wet is the only great classic rock album by legendary 80's rock band Bon Jovi which defined 80's rock even though it's not a masterpiece like Abbey Road, Exile On Main St., Paranoid, Houses Of The Holy, Rocks, Destroyer, Highway To Hell & Women & Children First because even though BJ has released many more albums since & two before SWW they are nothing but a one album wonder like most 80's rock bands from Motley Crue to Ratt to Guns-N-Roses which is why it's pathetic that that the media call frontman Jon Bon Jovi a rock legend in the same leagues with a Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton & Eddie Van Halen when he isn't at all despite being around for 20 years!!!

Dunno if I'd call it great....

It's the BJ album that had the most radio friendly hits at the time...

As far as him being a legend...le'ts just say he's lucky to have longevity, but legends are timeless. Bon Jovi came & went & came & is going again....

Marlowe01
10-30-2004, 02:31 PM
New Jersey is their best studio album...there's a lot of filler on Slippery When Wet. And, all of the good songs from Slippery When Wet are on Cross Road: 14 Classic Grooves, anyways, so just go buy that used, like I did.