PDA

View Full Version : Japan to tag kids with chips

Ally_Kat
07-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Japan: Schoolkids to be tagged with RFID chips
By Jo Best, Special to CNETAsia
Monday, July 12 2004 10:33 AM

Japanese authorities decide tracking is best way to protect kids

The rights and wrongs of RFID-chipping human beings have been debated since the tracking tags reached the technological mainstream. Now, school authorities in the Japanese city of Osaka have decided the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and will now be chipping children in one primary school.

The tags will be read by readers installed in school gates and other key locations to track the kids' movements.

The chips will be put onto kids' schoolbags, name tags or clothing in one Wakayama prefecture school. Denmark's Legoland introduced a similar scheme last month to stop young children going astray.

RFID is more commonly found in supermarket and other retailers' supply chains, however, companies are now seeking more innovative ways to derive value from the tracking technology. US airline Delta recently announced it would be using RFID to track travellers' luggage.

Jo Best of Silicon.com reported from London.

Coyote
07-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Nice. But does it work?

WACF
07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
A 5 year old girl vanished from her home close to here a week ago....something like this would be good.

SoCalChelle
07-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
The chips will be put onto kids' schoolbags, name tags or clothing in one Wakayama prefecture school.

What if they get a new schoolbag or wear different clothing? What if they forget to wear their nametag? What if they leave their bag at school? What if the person abducting them doesn't want to wait while they run and get their bag? Sounds harsh, but if they really want this to work, they'd have to implant the chip in the child somehow.

Ally_Kat
07-12-2004, 04:21 PM
do you guys really want chips implanted into your children?

SoCalChelle
07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
No, I'm just saying that putting it in their clothing isn't going to work. Word gets out that these chips exist, the kidnappers will just dispose of the child's clothing quickly to avoid problems.

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Fuck No, I'll rip the head off of anyone who ever tries to implant a chip into my daughter.
I always know where my kid is, no exceptions, and i keep a better eye on her than any chip ever will.

Here's a novel idea, how about people just figure out how to be a good parent and give up on finding solutions to relieve the responsibility.

Mezro
07-12-2004, 04:47 PM
In related news China announced that they will start tagging kids with dip.

Mezro...Korea will follow with grilled dog once the technology to keep maggots at bay advances...

Cathedral
07-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SoCalChelle
No, I'm just saying that putting it in their clothing isn't going to work. Word gets out that these chips exist, the kidnappers will just dispose of the child's clothing quickly to avoid problems.

I for one wouldn't want it as a child and would conveiently lose the chips whenever possible.

It's a stupid idea if you ask me, and i'm sure it won't be cheap to implement.

Colossal Waste of Time and Money, period.

SoCalChelle
07-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I for one wouldn't want it as a child and would conveiently lose the chips whenever possible.

It's a stupid idea if you ask me, and i'm sure it won't be cheap to implement.

Colossal Waste of Time and Money, period.

I agree

FORD
07-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Coming soon to YOUR neighborhood.........
http://www.infowars.com/headline_photos/April/carlyleswas.jpg
Cute little swastika shaped RFID tags
Brought to you by (who else) the Bush Criminal Empire (Carlyle Group division)

666 the number of the beast.
666 the one for you and me....

Seshmeister
07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
We should have got one of these implanted in Cato the DDLR.com.

We woke one day and he had disappeared...:D

SoCalChelle
07-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Speaking of people getting chips implanted:

Mexico Attorney General Has Microchip Fitted in Arm

2 hours, 55 minutes ago Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's attorney general said on Monday he had had a microchip inserted under the skin of one of his arms to give him access to a new crime database and also enable him to be traced if he is ever abducted.

Attorney General Rafael Macedo said a number of his staff had also been fitted with chips which will give them exclusive and secure access to a national, computerized database for crime investigators that went live on Monday.

"It's an area of high security, it's necessary that we have access to this, through a chip, which what's more is unremovable," Macedo told reporters.

"The system is here and I already have it. It's solely for access, for safety and so that I can be located at any moment wherever I am," he said, admitting the chip hurt "a little."

The chips would enable the wearer to be found anywhere inside Mexico, in the event of an assault or kidnapping, said Macedo.

And kidnapping is a huge problem here. From 1992 to 2002, Mexico saw some 15,000 kidnappings, second only to war-torn Colombia, according to the Inter-American Development Bank.

Crime-fighting is a dangerous business in Mexico, where police are notoriously corrupt and where political figures and investigative journalists sometimes risk assassination.

Mexico has seen a surge in violent crime recently, with an onslaught of headlines about murders and kidnappings prompting Fox to pledge in a national broadcast to crack down on crime.

In June a quarter of a million people protested the government's failure to combat crime.

Viking
07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
I always advocated that if the l'il fuckers are under four feet tall, they be kept on a retractable leash in public. :killer:

In Japan, that would probably include a sizeable portion of the adult population, too. :D :D :D

GAR
07-13-2004, 09:23 PM
RFID: A stalker's best friend.. Antichrists' as well~!

TwoFoolsAMinute
08-05-2004, 12:23 PM
This kinda stuff scares the fuck out of me!

Carmine
08-05-2004, 12:44 PM

I have 2 kids... if it protected them from the dangers of the world, I'd do it!!

TwoFoolsAMinute
08-05-2004, 07:55 PM
I have two kids, and I don't want the police or govt to be able to track where my family is at all times. I cherish my freedom and that of my children.

Ally_Kat
08-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Or worse. These things are going to be put under the skin in your arm. I can see the sick fucks that exist in this world kidnapping a kid and then removing the chips by themselves.

Snoo
08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
It will end up just like that one Christmas episode of Family Guy. Lois goes insane and leaves, and Peter says "Don't worry kids, I implanted a tracking chip in your mother years ago, just in case such a thing would ever happen." He presses a button and a tracking map pops up on the wall, and there are a million lights popping up. Peter says "Oh yeah, this won't work...I also put them in a bunch of squirrels." Chinese kids are smart, when they want rid of them they'll find a way.

Katydid
08-06-2004, 12:06 AM
This sounds like the end of time. The antichrists putting their numbers on our heads and hands. Then soon you can't buy, sell, trade, etc. without it. (Wait a minute they already have with credit cards).

freak
08-06-2004, 12:10 AM

I f the chip comes with a remote that can lower their volume, pause or turn them off completely....Yes.

TwoFoolsAMinute
08-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by freak
I f the chip comes with a remote that can lower their volume, pause or turn them off completely....Yes.

I gotta admit, that would sometimes be a fantastic feature.

Samsonite
08-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Dude...chips would be the biggest bullshit ever. Just a terrible idea.

fanofdave
08-07-2004, 10:28 AM
go check out the movie "Manchurian Candidate"
if you're into conspiracy shit.