PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix's Flying V (Isle of Wight show)

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Recently upon taking vaction in London, I was able to see this guitar in person. It is in the London Hard Rock Loft. I must say it is rather unbelievable! It actaully has the original strings THAT HENDRIX PLAYED AT THE SHOW (Isle of Wight) still remain on the guitar. Not one has popped yet! From what I remember, this is the last show he played before he died in September of 1970. The show was in August I think.

Anyway....this was amazing. I actually got to touch the strings... so I have now received the voodoo from Hendrix himself!

If any of yall get the chance to go to London, do not miss out on this!

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Here is another shot of it!

very cool! at least.....I was amazed! Don't know about yall?

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Here is Jeff Beck's guitar too! It was also in the Loft at the London Hard Rock. I about stroked out when I saw this. Apparently, Clapton had bid on this guitar but lost to the Hard Rock in an auction for it.

Notice the ware on the neck! This thing has played out Beck's heart, obviously! It shows so much character. I would have given anything to plug it in to a Marshall Plexy and hear it cry. I bet it feels so worn in....like a good pair of old tennis shoes. I bet the tone is so warm Beck rocks! And we share the same birthday too! June 24th!

Does it not look like pie, or what?

I just knew you guys would dig this! I took these pics for yall!

-Mary Frances

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 04:23 PM
I am sorry to say, though, unfortunately there was no EVH guitars. That is what I had been hoping for when I went down into the loft.
What I found, though, was still pretty damn cool!

-Mary Frances

Coyote
07-13-2004, 04:38 PM
One handsome guitar. :)

(Now I know where to go looking for a lefty if/when the apocalypse arrives... :D)

Cathedral
07-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Very nice pics Mary Francis, thank you for sharing them with the masses here.

Cato
07-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Beck's esquire is my dream guitar. willing to steal it....

Cato
07-13-2004, 05:06 PM
I appreciate the pics. thanks Mary.

BrownSound1
07-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Cool...I always wondered what happened to Jimi's Flying V.

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Another pic....This time it's Stevie Ray's!

very cool!

-mf

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Here is the description that was written on the card underneath!

-mf

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 10:17 PM
I was purchasing an arctic white American Stratocaster lefty the morning Stevie got killed...

In 2002 somone stole that strat along with my lefty Les Paul Custom...:(

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 11:21 PM
That sucks. I have always believed that any white or cream colored strats were almost bad luck or something. So many have played them and seem to have had bad things happen.

death.....i dunno

IM NOT SUPERSTITIOUS, JUST ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THAT

ELVIS
07-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Hmmm...

I had alot of bad things happen while I had that guitar.. but I created them all...:D

Panamark
07-14-2004, 05:37 AM
Excellent pics Mary !

I love that V...

Thats pretty cool that you can touch the strings.. I would have thought that would have been behind glass. You have the hendrix touch now :)
Thats cool !! Maybe you will pass it along to me !!

flank
07-14-2004, 11:10 AM
that was the second last show he played.....he played another festival in germany which was raided and rioted by the biker group Hells Angels...... they were beating people, threatening people and Jimi was afraid to go onstage...... but eventually they went up and actually got booed on the first few songs but eventually the crowd accepted him........ cept during the show one of Jimis stage hands was shot and killed by one of the Hells Angels and they were forced to evacuate the stage and leave for safety

eh.....hell of a way to have a final concert huh?......eh, its sad hes gone

SweetSecrets
07-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by flank
cept during the show one of Jimis stage hands was shot and killed by one of the Hells Angels and they were forced to evacuate the stage and leave for safety

Whoa! I totally did not know that! Is that really true ? ! ?

ELVIS
07-14-2004, 01:39 PM
I never heard that, and I know tons of Hendrix trivia...

Panamark
07-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Flank,

Ive never heard that one either ??
Sure you are not confusing the Hells Angels/ Rolling Stones
Deal ?

flank
07-15-2004, 05:53 PM
excuse my mistake...the stagehand was shot but not killed...... same result and idea either way

turboblues
07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Excuse me...Isle of Wight was not the second last show he played. There was also show in Denmark, but he had to stop because he was too stoned. Not kidding. Also, Hendrix had more than one flying V.
But still nice pictures!!
(Hope those white or cream stratocasters don't bring bad luck!).

ashstralia
07-17-2004, 02:14 AM
hey turboblues!
is that your axe?
is the p/up a pro-track?

turboblues
07-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Yes, this is one of my guitars. I think the p/up is a Dimarzio fast track 2. I am not sure, it is too long ago since I have bought it. It gives a humbucker sound in a single coil spacing.

SweetSecrets
07-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by turboblues
Excuse me...Isle of Wight was not the second last show he played. There was also show in Denmark, but he had to stop because he was too stoned. Not kidding. Also, Hendrix had more than one flying V.
But still nice pictures!!
(Hope those white or cream stratocasters don't bring bad luck!).

Really?.....now that you mention it, that does sound familiar!

Well, turbo, I think you are okay....the curse of the white guitars seems to have passed away now. Thank god! What a nice one you have there! I would hate for you to become subject to its wrath! Unless, of course, it is plugged in!! :rockit2:

Panamark
07-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Ive never heard that whole Cream guitars / bad luck thing. Ive never owned a pure cream colored/white guitar.. Phew !!!

ashstralia
07-17-2004, 08:57 PM
i had a really nice cream strat that a mate lent me
for about a year.....

only bad luck was that i had to give it back!!
he wouldn't sell it to me.

Panamark
07-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah but Ash, it might be a protracted curse !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Im definately watching out for those guitars now..

ZahZoo
07-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Hendrix did Isle of Wight on August 30, 1970 but several other shows followed.

Aug 31 - Tivoli Garden Stockholm Sweden
Sept 1 - Stora Scenen, Liseberg Sweden
Sept 2 - Vejlby-Risskov Hallen, Arhus, Denmark
Sept 3 - K.B. Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Sept 4 - "Super Concert '70" Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany

Final show - Sept 6 - "Open Air Love & Peace" Isle Of Fehmarn, Germany

I've read seveal accounts over the years of this concert and the German biker problems. Never heard mention of anyone being shot... but the bikers did burn the stage to the ground.

Here's a snippet from the official Hendrix site...

SETLIST:
Killing Floor // Spanish Castle Magic // All Along The Watchtower // Hey Joe // Hey Baby // Message To Love // Foxey Lady // Red House // Ezy Ryder // Freedom // Room Full Of Mirrors // Purple Haze // Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
The Open Air Love And Peace Festival would prove to be Jimi Hendrix's final concert. Joining Hendrix on the bill were Cactus, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Ten Years After, Taste, and Ginger Baker's Airforce. The three day festival was beset by troubles which ranged from inadequate security to weather. On September 5, a torrential downpour caused road manager Gerry Stickells to inform the promoters that Jimi would not perform until the following afternoon. In the audience, competing German motorcycle gangs fought each other [and would eventually burn the stage to the ground] with occasional bursts of gunfire peppering the air.

As was too often the case, the rampant disorganization had a negative effect on Jimi's attitude. Nonetheless, after opening with "Killing Floor", Jimi continued to blend old and new songs just as he had done throughout the entire 1970 tour. Even before the most difficult audiences, Jimi remained steadfast in his desire to present his new music.

After the performance, the group returned to London. In the days preceding the Isle Of Fehrman performance, Jimi grew concerned for the health of Billy Cox and sent him back to the United States. Cox was said to be suffering exhaustion and stress and was unable to continue touring. The remaining gigs were canceled. In the interim, Jimi considered temporarily filling Cox's position so that he could fulfill his outstanding obligations and return to New York.

turboblues
07-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Now that's what I call research!
Thanks !

SweetSecrets
07-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by turboblues
Now that's what I call research!
Thanks !

No joke!

BlimpyCHIMP™
07-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I never heard that, and I know tons of Hendrix trivia...

I THINK HE'S REFERRING TO ALTAMONT WHERE THE CRAZY JIGABOO WAS JUMPIN UP AND DOWN IN THE 4TH ROW DURING THE FUCKING STONES SET

THAT FLYING V MAY HAVE BEEN JIMI'S - AND MAY NOT HAVE.

IT WAS ONLY CONFIRMED BY JIMI'S GUITAR TECH WHO HADN'T SEEN IT FOR LIKE 25 YEARS. IT WAS PAINTED GREEN, THEN PURPLE, THEN STRIPPED DOWN IN SOME GUITAR REPAIR SHOP WITH THE PICKGUARD OFF THE GUY WHO WOUND UP BUYING AND RESTORING IT HAD THE NOTION IT MAY HAVE BEEN JIMI'S.

ITS GOT A DISCONNECTED HISTORY WITH ABOUT 5 OWNERS BETWEEN THE RESTORER AND THE TIME HENDRIX USED IT. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THE ORIGINAL STRINGS WERE RETAINED.

I HOWEVER RETAIN MUCH GAS AFTER EATING TACO BELL A PINT OF STOLI AND A QUART A CHOCO MILK BECAUSE I AM A HOOCHIE POOCHIE MAN, MUTHA FUKKAHS...

YESS..

SweetSecrets
07-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by BlimpyCHIMP™
I THINK HE'S REFERRING TO ALTAMONT WHERE THE CRAZY JIGABOO WAS JUMPIN UP AND DOWN IN THE 4TH ROW DURING THE FUCKING STONES SET

THAT FLYING V MAY HAVE BEEN JIMI'S - AND MAY NOT HAVE.

IT WAS ONLY CONFIRMED BY JIMI'S GUITAR TECH WHO HADN'T SEEN IT FOR LIKE 25 YEARS. IT WAS PAINTED GREEN, THEN PURPLE, THEN STRIPPED DOWN IN SOME GUITAR REPAIR SHOP WITH THE PICKGUARD OFF THE GUY WHO WOUND UP BUYING AND RESTORING IT HAD THE NOTION IT MAY HAVE BEEN JIMI'S.

ITS GOT A DISCONNECTED HISTORY WITH ABOUT 5 OWNERS BETWEEN THE RESTORER AND THE TIME HENDRIX USED IT. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THE ORIGINAL STRINGS WERE RETAINED.

I HOWEVER RETAIN MUCH GAS AFTER EATING TACO BELL A PINT OF STOLI AND A QUART A CHOCO MILK BECAUSE I AM A HOOCHIE POOCHIE MAN, MUTHA FUKKAHS...

YESS..

Well, Hell! I don't know if I was being lied too. All I know is that is what the HARD ROCK LONDON guys were all telling me. Anybody could be lying, but (for my own personal high) I would like to believe that yes, indeed, it is the real guitar....and yes, I touched the same guitar strings Jimi played. Thank you!

-MF

GAR
08-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Keep in mind, it's just a business and as business men will tell the public something it would like to believe with enough vagueness that it has the possibility of being true, people go for it.

I wonder if the frets are even the ones' Jimi played..