PDA

View Full Version : Bush Twins Break Silence About Campaign, Parties

lucky wilbury
07-13-2004, 07:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&u=/nm/20040713/pl_nm/bush_twins_dc_2&printer=1

Bush Twins Break Silence About Campaign, Parties

30 minutes ago
By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Shielded for years from public view, President Bush (news - web sites)'s twin daughters have broken their silence in an interview describing a karaoke party at Camp David and how they surprised their father by deciding to join his campaign.

"It's not like he (Bush) called me up and asked me," Jenna told Vogue magazine in their first joint interview, released on Tuesday. "They've never wanted to throw us into that world, and I think our decision probably shocked them. But I love my dad, and I think I'd regret it if I didn't do this."

Bush is protective of his 22-year-old daughters, and White House spokesman Scott McClellan has asked the media to "show respect" as they emerge from private life as students to work at Bush's campaign headquarters in the Washington suburbs.

Barbara made her campaign trail debut on Tuesday in Michigan. Jenna joined Bush last week on a bus tour of the battleground state of Pennsylvania.

"Strangely, politics and family life never crossed," said Jenna in the interview, which will appear in Vogue's August issue and includes a glossy photo spread featuring the twins posing in formal dresses as well as more casual clothes.

She described how their 20th birthday party was held at the Camp David presidential retreat less than three months after the Sept. 11 attacks.

"We had 20 of our friends, and there was a really nice dinner and a karaoke machine afterward, and of course my dad had a sports tournament for the guys," Jenna said. "He's so competitive, so active. He was stressed out, I know, but we still had the party."

MOM "HAS FUNNY QUIRKS"

Jenna said her parents have the "best marriage," citing as proof that "my dad thinks my mom's funny even though she's really not -- she's cute, she has funny quirks."

Jenna said her mother would tell them to clean their bedrooms. "I call her OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) to her face, but I'm glad now because some of it's rubbed off on me," she said.

Jenna also described how the president interacted with the girls' boyfriends. "He's not the shotgun-dad type, he's the joking-around-to-the-point-where-he-scares-the-heck-out-of-them type."

There has sometimes been tension between Bush and the media over coverage of his daughters, especially when both had run-ins with the law over alcohol three years ago.

In an incident in Austin, Texas, in 2001, Barbara was sentenced to perform community service and attend an alcohol awareness class, while Jenna, who had been found with a false ID, was fined $600 and lost her driver's license for 30 days.

The only "drink" referred to in the Vogue interview are soy lattes, which the twins get at Starbucks .

Vogue said they are far better traveled than their parents were at their age. Barbara's graduation trip included stops in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Prague. Jenna went to Spain.

Barbara, who majored in humanities at Yale, said she planned to sign up for a program in which she would work in Eastern Europe and Africa with children afflicted with AIDS (news - web sites).

"We thought it would be better to wait (to start) until after November," Barbara said of the presidential election.

Jenna, who has an English degree from the University of Texas, plans to teach. "I'm just not political," said Jenna. "I have opinions, but there's nothing about the process that has ever interested me. I'm 22, and this is the first interview I've ever done in my life."

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:39 PM
I WANT PICTURES!!!

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:41 PM
http://www.allfreecontests.com/jenna_bush/jenna-1-21-01d2.jpghttp://www.allfreecontests.com/jenna_bush/jenna-1-21-01d1.jpg

:elvis:

Ally_Kat
07-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, we are so going shopping. You'll see me at the convention going around lookin for them. lol. Barbara's dress -- now that's something I would wear

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:47 PM
I'd wear Barbara...

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:47 PM
http://www.thefirsttwins.com/images/JennaBush.jpg

:elvis:

Ally_Kat
07-13-2004, 07:48 PM
okay, we have a deal, we'll split her. Ill get the dress and you'll get the girl

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:49 PM
http://www.thefirsttwins.com/images/boogiewoogie.gif

:D

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
okay, we have a deal, we'll split her. Ill get the dress and you'll get the girl

Okeedokee :D

ELVIS
07-13-2004, 07:51 PM
http://www.thefirsttwins.com/images/barbara_inaugural3.jpg

:rockit:

Ally_Kat
07-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Jenna Bush applies for Harlem school job

Jenna Bush (l.) likely won't be gussied up like this if she gets the job at Harlem Day Charter School. Jenna and twin sister Barbara were photographed in formal and rather more casual attire for the August issue of Vogue magazine.

Presidential party girl Jenna Bush has applied for a job teaching grade school in Harlem.
"She was here for an interview but we don't know what's going to happen," a source at the Harlem Day Charter School told the Daily News.

The school has been praised for its back-to-basics approach and commitment to building student character.

Its founder, Benjamin Lambert, chairman and CEO of Eastdil Realty Co., said President Bush's daughter is one of "a number of famous names" who have expressed an interest in working at the school.

"I've never met her," Lambert said. "I was told she was very interested and was asked months ago if I had any problem in her visiting the school. I didn't have a problem with that."

Opened in 2001, the free public charter school enrolls 200 students in kindergarten through fourth grade, primarily from the Harlem area.

Most are from low-income families; 85% are black and 15% are Hispanic.

Charter schools are public schools that operate outside the traditional public school system under a five-year contract based on accountability.

In the first interviews granted by Jenna and her twin, Barbara, since her father was elected in 2000, Jenna declares her love for charter schools in an upcoming issue of Vogue.

She spent the summer of her sophomore year in college working at a charter school in Washington and says her "dream" is someday to open a charter school of her own.

But while she already has found an apartment in the city and wants to teach here, Jenna, like Barbara, has made clear that her immediate priority is getting dad reelected come November.

The twins will hit the campaign trail for their father in what would be their first foray into electoral politics.

"I love my dad, and I think I'd regret it if I didn't do this," Jenna Bush told Vogue.

If hired, the English major will bring with her an unfortunate reputation for being nearly as wild as her old man back in his younger days.

Both she and her Yale-grad twin got in trouble as college kids for their underage drinking, and Jenna Bush made headlines again when she used her Secret Service detail to spring a boyfriend from jail after he had been arrested for public intoxication.

Originally published on July 14, 2004

www.nydailynews.com

Ally_Kat
07-14-2004, 11:34 PM
and since I know Elvis will yell for pics

http://www.suprmchaos.com/twins2_122102.jpg

Picture Jenna in this pic with curly hair and you would have me

ELVIS
07-15-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm picturing it...

Now when do I have you ??

I'm ready!

Ally_Kat
07-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I'm picturing it...

Now when do I have you ??

I'm ready!

Have me for what? :confused:

And i should add that unlike Jenna, I' m a natural blonde. I didn't notice the roots before

ELVIS
07-15-2004, 12:19 AM
..or my implication...:D

Ally_Kat
07-15-2004, 03:01 AM
Bush Breaks Out His Secret Weapons ... The Twins
07.14.2004 3:33 PM EDT

In the midst of a heated political campaign, George W. Bush is breaking out his secret weapons — and they answer to the names of Jenna and Barbara.

The 22-year-old twin daughters of President Bush, who opted to stay out of the glare of the media spotlight the last four years, have broken their public silence and given their first joint interview, to Vogue magazine. Their foray into the limelight comes with the hopes of softening their father's image and reinforcing his stance on the importance of family values.

With the Kerry/ Edwards ticket gaining massive publicity since Kerry's announcement of Edwards as his vice-presidential running mate, the Bush daughters believe now is the time to step up and out of the shadows, they say in the interview.

In the August issue of Vogue, available on newsstands, Jenna and Barbara discuss everything from dating to their differing personalities to their grandfather, former president George H.W. Bush, with whom they keep in contact via e-mail. They also reveal that their decision to campaign for their father was a bit of a surprise for the family.

"They've never wanted to throw us into that [political] world," Jenna said in the interview. "And I think our decision probably shocked them. But I love my dad, and I think I'd regret it if I didn't do this."

Papa Bush is still protective of his children and has asked the media to "show respect" as his daughters make the transition from college students to active political participants. Both are recent graduates — Jenna from the University of Texas and Barbara from Yale University, Bush's alma mater.

The twins intend to work at their father's re-election headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, for most of the summer. Both have already hit the campaign trail — Jenna appeared with her dad in Pennsylvania, a clear battleground state, while Barbara took to the streets of Michigan.

The article aims to portray the first daughters as average American girls, who, like many 20-somethings, enjoy drinking soy lattes from Starbucks, eating sushi and Mexican food, and singing karaoke.

Oh, and of course, having their 20th birthday party at Camp David.

"We had 20 of our friends, and there was a really nice dinner and a karaoke machine afterward," Jenna recalled. "And of course my dad had a sports tournament for the guys."

Despite aiding in their father's campaign, the sisters claim they have no further political aspirations. "Politics is something that has never interested me," said Jenna, who aspires to become a teacher instead and someday open her own charter house.

Meanwhile, Barbara will intern at the pediatric AIDS program at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine.

—Brandee J. Tecson

http://www.mtv.com/chooseorlose/headlines/news.jhtml?id=1489403

Ally_Kat
07-15-2004, 03:10 AM
and Elvis' pic

http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwg906pic1.gif

:D