lucky wilbury
07-14-2004, 01:09 AM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39435

Iraqi memorial to fallen Americans
Sculptor using bronze from Saddam's statues now at Fort Hood

Posted: July 14, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A statue, now on display at Fort Hood in Texas, pays tribute to the sacrifices made in Iraq by showing an Iraqi girl comforting a U.S. soldier mourning one of his comrades.

Ironically, the statue was made by an Iraqi sculptor who previously worked for Saddam Hussein and cast many official statues of the former Iraqi dictator. On top of that, the bronze used in the piece came from statues of Saddam that were melted down and recast.

The statue was the idea of Army Sgt. Maj. Glen Simpson, stationed last year in Saddam's hometown of Tikrit. Two statues of Saddam on horseback stood at the main gate of the former ruler's palace in the town, which the 4th Infantry Division used as its headquarters. When the statues were removed, Simpson got the inspiration to use the bronze from the statues in an image that would pay tribute to his comrades.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/iraqstatue.jpg

"I wanted to forever symbolize the ultimate sacrifice that we make as soldiers," he wrote.

Simpson set out to find Kalat, the sculptor who created the original statues of Saddam. The artist was delighted to be asked to create the memorial.

Kalat worked for months on the project.

The finished sculpture depicts a soldier kneeling before boots, a rifle and a helmet, his forehead resting on his hand. A young Iraqi girl reaches out to touch the mourning soldier. It was shipped to Fort Hood last February.

The Iraqi girl, he said, symbolizes why the sacrifice was made.

"There are critics that will say this has nothing to do with the memorial statue, but I submit that it has everything to do with the statue. The children of Iraq are its free future," explained Simpson, who posed for the artist himself.

U.S. soldiers donated money to cover the cost of the statue, although Kalat did not ask to be paid.

"We all felt that since Saddam paid him through threats, by gunpoint, for his statues, (Kalat) deserved whatever funds we could raise," Simpson said.

Big Train
07-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Very classy and needed. I would have donated to this project.

Big Train
07-16-2004, 04:03 AM
Bump...

ELVIS
07-16-2004, 04:06 AM
I like this...

lucky wilbury
09-03-2004, 03:38 PM
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB7E3QOOYD.html

Statue Made of Melted Bronze From Saddam Statues Dedicated at Fort Hood
The Associated Press
Published: Sep 3, 2004

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A life-size statue of a GI in mourning made from the bronze of two melted-down monuments to Saddam Hussein was dedicated to the 4th Infantry Division.
Hundreds of soldiers at a ceremony Thursday joined family members and friends of the 75 men and six women from the division killed in the war.

Division soldiers had toppled two 50-foot statues of a heroic Saddam on horseback in Saddam's hometown of Tikrit.

An Iraqi artist melted the statues down and created a new one depicting a GI mourning the fallen comrades as a girl tries to console him.

"It is very symbolic that this was the statue of the dictator that made those people miserable, and that my husband was able to go and help to make a difference there," said Ursula Pirtle, whose husband, Spc. James Heath Pirtle, 26, was killed in action Oct. 4. She was six months pregnant at the time.

The 4th Infantry Division, with 17,000 troops, deployed to Iraq for 11 months before returning to the United States early this year. The division is preparing for a possible return to Iraq next year.

Big Train
09-03-2004, 04:28 PM
bump..

Mezro
09-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Any soldier that loses his or her life deserves a memorial and the respect of all Americans.

Mezro...that being said, I wonder if they'll create a "collateral damage" version of the statue with the little girl missing one of her limbs...show the truth, not some romanticized artistic interpretation of it...

lms2
09-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Mezro, you're negative. I like the artistic interpretation of it. Not all of the Iraqi children have been blown to bits in this freaking war.

Mezro
09-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by lms2
Mezro, you're negative. I like the artistic interpretation of it. Not all of the Iraqi children have been blown to bits in this freaking war.

Not being negative but I am telling the truth. There are plenty of innocent kids that have been fucked up due to our invasion of Iraq.

Mezro...while I'm sure plenty of children were thrilled to see US Troops there are penty who will never walk, talk or see anything again thanks to our "shock and awe" bullshit...

I'm sure this little girl would love that fucking statue...