PDA

View Full Version : Why the French Act Isn't Funny Anymore

Sgt Schultz
07-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Why the French Act Isn't Funny Anymore

Their resistance to helping in Afghanistan and Iraq is now downright dangerous

By CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER

It is easy to make fun of the French and their pompous pretense to the grandeur they shed a half-century ago when their loss of honor under Vichy, and then their loss of empire, relegated them to the rank of second-class power. But the fun is over. Before Sept. 11, France's Gaullist anti-Americanism as a form of ostentatious self-aggrandizement was an irritant. With a war on — three, in fact: Afghanistan, Iraq and the larger war on terrorism — France's willful obstructionism becomes dangerous and deadly.

That obstructionism was on amazing display at the recent NATO summit in Istanbul. The supremely courageous President of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai, flies there to beg for our troops to protect his country in the run-up to September elections. Two female election workers had already been murdered and some 16 men had been shot to death by insurgents for registering to vote.

NATO responds with an offer of a small number of troops to be sent around September. Karzai pleads for a more immediate deployment. Britain and the U.S. request deployment of NATO's new rapid-reaction force created precisely for such contingencies. France's President Jacques Chirac vetoes it, saying the force should not be used "in any old way."

Any old way? As if the NATO troops were off to visit the Kabul Disneyland. Afghanistan is the good war, remember. The war of undeniable necessity. The war everyone supported. It is hard to imagine a more important mission for NATO, or for the civilized world for that matter, than assuring free elections in Afghanistan, crucible for the worst terrorist attack in history. Yet with a flick of a hand, Chirac dismisses Karzai — and, of course, the U.S.

On Iraq, Chirac was similarly destructive of any realistic NATO help in democratic nation building. He spearheaded the vetoing of any NATO troops going to Iraq. The most that President Bush could get was an agreement to train Iraqi troops, but Chirac insisted the training be undertaken not by NATO as an organization (only by NATO countries individually) and not in Iraq itself. He suggested Rome. Nice for sightseeing, but hardly the most efficient and cost-effective way to train the Iraqi police and army.

Chirac knows America's stake in both Afghanistan and Iraq. It is so great, and so obvious, that even in the midst of a bitterly fought election campaign, the opposition presidential candidate embraces the current Administration's objective of democratic reconstruction in both countries. Why then is Chirac making things as difficult as he can for the U.S.?

It is not just pique. It is not just antipathy to George Bush. And it is not just France's traditional and reflexive policy of trying to rein in, cut down and domesticate the world's greatest superpower so that ultimately secondary powers like France could emerge as leaders of a multipolar world.

There is something far deeper going on here. Beyond the anti-Americanism is an attempt to court the Muslim and Arab world. For its own safety and strategic gain, France is seeking a "third way" between America and its enemies. Chirac's ultimate vision is a France that is mediator and bridge between America and Islam. During the cold war, Charles de Gaulle invented this idea of a third force, withdrawing France from the NATO military structure and courting Moscow as a counterweight to Washington. Chirac, declaring in Istanbul that "we are not servants" of America, has transposed this Gaullist policy to the struggle with radical Islam.

Explosive population growth in the Arab world coupled with Europe's unprecedented baby bust presages a radical change in the balance of power in the Mediterranean world. Chirac perhaps sees a coming Muslim future or, at least, a coming Muslim resurgence. And he does not want to be on the wrong side of that history. The result is a classic policy of appeasement: stand up to the American presumption of dictating democratic futures to Afghanistan and Iraq; ingratiate yourself with the Arab world. Thus, for example, precisely at a time when the U.S. and many Western countries are shunning Yasser Arafat for supporting terrorism and obstructing peace, Chirac sends his Foreign Minister to the ruins of Arafat's compound to shake Arafat's hand for world cameras.

This is pure pandering but with an agenda. Chirac wants not only to make France the champion of the oppressed in general against the great American hegemon but also to make it in particular the champion of Arab aspirations against American imperialism. Even the left-leaning French newspaper Le Monde criticized Chirac for acting the "killjoy" in Istanbul. But Chirac's behavior was no mere outburst. It is a strategy for a French future. Chirac is charting a course — a collision course with America. Istanbul was just one accident scene. There are many more to come.

Seshmeister
07-14-2004, 11:30 AM
The French are notorious for only acting in their own self interest as regards foreign policy.

FORD
07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
More lies from neocon shitbags **YAWN**

High Life Man
07-14-2004, 11:52 AM
I wish death on Chirac. He's plain and simple an asshole. And I never thought the "French Act" was funny.

The French are in deep in the UN Oil-for-food scandal.

Fucking frogs.

John Ashcroft
07-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by FORD
More lies from neocon shitbags **YAWN**

OK, I'll bite... Which part is a lie? Did Chirac, or did he not, veto authorization of the requested NATO forces for Afghanistan?

BigBadBrian
07-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Intelligence should be denied the French if it ever comes our way of an impending terrorist attack on them. Fuckers. :gulp:

FORD
07-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
OK, I'll bite... Which part is a lie? Did Chirac, or did he not, veto authorization of the requested NATO forces for Afghanistan?

Shithammer is a neocon. If his lips are moving, he's lying.

ELVIS
07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
As usual.. unable to answer a question that interferes with his paranoid adgenda...:rolleyes:

FORD
07-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
As usual.. unable to answer a question that interferes with his paranoid adgenda...:rolleyes:

I'm fucking serious. The PNAC press does nothing but lie and distort the facts. Anyone who disagrees with their sick fascist agenda becomes the "enemy".

This is not typical partisan disagreement, these people are literally psychotic and delusional.

Angel
07-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Intelligence should be denied the French if it ever comes our way of an impending terrorist attack on them. Fuckers. :gulp:

Seems to me I wouldn't be bragging about your "intelligence" right now. They don't seem very capable, do they? ;)

How the hell are you Brian? Sure have missed you. ;)

John Ashcroft
07-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Seems our Senate Intelligence Committee report, and the British Intelligence report vindicates President Bush and Tony Blair in regards to the available intelligence data (and acting upon such data).

And they even admit their mistakes...

ELVIS
07-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Wow, imagine that...

:elvis:

Jano
07-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Fuck you, we suffered enought from terrorist's act before the USA!I guess that you don't even knew about it.

FORD
07-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Brian never hears about anything that doesn't air on FAUX News. And that would be any news that doesn't fit the BCE agenda.

BigBadBrian
07-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Jano
Fuck you, we suffered enought from terrorist's act before the USA!I guess that you don't even knew about it.

Such as? Spill the beans, Froggy. Ribbit.

http://www.slavkin.com/images/zsite/tree-frogs-l.gif

BigBadBrian
07-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Brian never hears about anything that doesn't air on FAUX News. And that would be any news that doesn't fit the BCE agenda.

Broken record.

BigBadBrian
07-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Bump. I want the Frog to respond. :D

John Ashcroft
07-26-2004, 11:18 AM
This could very well turn out to be a good thread...

Come on now Kermit, let's hear it.

ODShowtime
07-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I would love to hear a real "Frenchman's" take on this issue.

Really folks, it's all money. No one else was allowed take on contracts with the slime of the Arab world (Iran, Syria, ect.) except Russia. But the French have no problem selling them all kinds of military hardware and stuff like that. That's why they weren't down with taking out Saddam, he's one of their biggest customers.

And Chirac is a Muslim ass kisser. A bad one.

Sgt Schultz
07-27-2004, 01:13 PM
http://i.xanga.com/dissidentfrogman/finger2lance.jpg

Jano
07-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
This could very well turn out to be a good thread...

Come on now Kermit, let's hear it.
-Call me by my name first and i may answer ,did you get it!
-We don't have the money to participate at any war anyway.France's finance are in a pretty bad shape believe me!
-And sad but true, we're scare of terrorist,it's so many musulmans right here in France!They 're to powerfull for me, even in my country that's scary!
-And we don't believe every words that Bush say !

Jano
07-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Bump. I want the Frog to respond. :D
-Call me by my name first, Big bad dickhead!

ELVIS
07-30-2004, 07:43 AM
How long have you been speaking english ???

John Ashcroft
07-30-2004, 08:13 AM
OK Jano, of which terrorist strikes in France do you speaketh of?

ODShowtime
07-30-2004, 08:55 AM
One of the terrorists strategies is to divide the civilized world. They have succeeded in driving a wedge between France and the rest of us. This is a huge success for them.

I am positive that there will not be any serious attacks in France as long as they keep their tail between their legs and their eyes on their pocketbooks.

Jano, no one believes that crazy bastard. But he's still cooler than Chirac.

BigBadBrian
07-30-2004, 09:00 AM
-Call me by my name first, Big bad dickhead!

OK Bitch, respond. :gulp:

Jano
07-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
How long have you been speaking english ???
-Sorry if my english is not good but i learned your language in the street or at the bar and on the bed, between the sheet.That why my english is funny.Never learned at school sorry!

Jano
07-30-2004, 01:08 PM
OK Bitch, respond. :gulp:
-I did it all ready !
-Even if i don't like Bush,i 'll never insult the americans because of it.Like every american are not responsible for your president's actions,it's the same around here.You don't like Chirac that's fine with me (i don't like him easer)!But don't insult me for it!

BigBadBrian
07-30-2004, 02:24 PM
-I did it all ready !
-Even if i don't like Bush,i 'll never insult the americans because of it.Like every american are not responsible for your president's actions,it's the same around here.You don't like Chirac that's fine with me (i don't like him easer)!But don't insult me for it!

OK Jane, I won't insult you because of JOCK She-Rock, but Jano sounds kinda girly. :gulp:

Jano
07-30-2004, 02:42 PM
I guess that you just don't like french?

BigBadBrian
07-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I guess that you just don't like french?

No, I love the French, but I do wish your women would learn to shave their armpits. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
07-30-2004, 02:57 PM
No, I love the French, but I do wish your women would learn to shave their armpits. I can do without your current government though. :gulp:

Jano
07-31-2004, 05:32 PM
No, I love the French, but I do wish your women would learn to shave their armpits. :gulp:
-I was very surprise about some of the american's girl when i was a resident of your country,they 're not the cleanest's one in the world!About the armpits thing that was during world war 2.A lots of stuff had changed since!

frenchie
07-31-2004, 05:50 PM
peace....................all we need