PDA

View Full Version : Consider this for a minute..

YankeeRose
07-17-2004, 03:29 AM
We heard on the radio about a local pawn shop closing down. Being as it was the same place we got the Goya for The Ol Man an' it was his first acoustic guitar an' we had to buy it cuz he wouldn't put it down once he started to strum it, an' the guy threw in a diamond & onyx ring for me to sweeten the deal, and we love the Goya so much..we decided to stop in an see what he had for sale. As soon as we entered The Ol Man honed in on a Washburn Acoustic...made the clerk loan him a pick. I was lovin' every minute of the music while I perused the jewlery selection. Then I look at the CD's, then the cameras, then the leather jackets...nothing of interest. I go back to the jewlery, just to look while he jammed...next thing I know...He's offering to trade a 1920's era banjo for the Washburn. My first instinct was to say NO, so I did. He didn't make the trade, but I know he's still thinking about it. I don't know anything about the age or origins of the guitar, just that it's a Washburn. What's y'alls opinion...would you be willing to make the trade?

Don Corleone
07-17-2004, 05:20 PM
No. I've got a Washburn (an N4), and it's a nice enough guitar, but I think this guy has a shrewd eye for business (chances are the banjo will be worth way more than the guitar).

YankeeRose
07-18-2004, 12:09 AM
That's what I thought too...thanx.

Panamark
07-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Any vintage instrument in good condition would surely be worth
more than a Washburn.

SweetSecrets
07-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Completely agree with all you blokes ! !

Save your money, YankeeRose!!

ELVIS
07-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Sell the banjo on Ebay, then purchase a nice guitar on Ebay...

Go out on the town with the remaining profit...

:elvis:

Cathedral
07-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Since i'm in the market for a banjo right now i can honestly say that the word Washburn would not stop me from parting ways with it.

It also depends on the banjo. 1920's era sounds like a good era for banjo's, as long as it is in perfecto condition. You don't want something that old needing replacement parts or restoration.

But the sound of a banjo is sweet when blended with an acoustic guitar. it is one cool way to make music without a beat, or record your foot stompin' on the floor, lol.

I got Bluegrass Roots, boys! been needin to explore em' a bit...YeeeeeeHaaaaaawww!!!

Panamark
07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by SweetSecrets
Completely agree with all you blokes ! !

Crikies !! Who's this beaut Sheila !!!

BrownSound1
07-23-2004, 01:14 AM
If it was the Washburn that Jimmy Page used to own then I'd trade my wife and kids for it. Other than that I wouldn't trade a 20's era instrument for any Washburn. (No offense to Washburn players..they're good guitars, just not the best in my opinion.)

Cathedral
07-23-2004, 03:03 AM
We used to have a guitarist in our band that swore by Washburn. he had 7 different models and not a one of them felt good to me.

It fell into the BCRich catagory with me:
"Put 4 legs on it and call it a coffee table"

BrownSound1
07-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Yeah, but in the early 80's a BC Rich LOOKED bad ass. Too bad it was all looks. ;)

Cathedral
07-24-2004, 04:27 AM
And all the posers used them, lol.

YankeeRose
07-24-2004, 10:14 PM
okay, I get the picture..I was right, again. LOL Now..how can I find out the approximate value of this banjo? It's a 1922 steel banjo, wood pot and hand rest, been repaired but is a quality repair. Has beautiful tone..beautiful look..dark wood with ivory inlay on pot and neck with ivory key handles that have yellowed with age.

twonabomber
07-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
And all the posers used them, lol.

Hagar played a Washburn.

run...

YankeeRose
07-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
Hagar played a Washburn.

run...

thanx for the tip....*shivvers*

Cathedral
07-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by YankeeRose
okay, I get the picture..I was right, again. LOL Now..how can I find out the approximate value of this banjo? It's a 1922 steel banjo, wood pot and hand rest, been repaired but is a quality repair. Has beautiful tone..beautiful look..dark wood with ivory inlay on pot and neck with ivory key handles that have yellowed with age.

Who's it made by?
That is the most important factor.
I would guess that since it is a 1922 model that it was most likely hand made, lol...(I know, DUH ya stupid ass)
If you can find out who made it and get me a serial number i can probably find the approximate value of it.
It being repaired could be a bad thing, but if it was done right it won't matter that much except to a collector.

I'd love to have it myself just because it is that old...

BrownSound1
07-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Hagar used to play a Dean in the early 80's.