PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen's all done

Terry
01-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Even Roth's presence wouldn't be enough to pull a classic Van Halen reunion off.

Anthony might be up for it, but Eddie and Alex are all done. Seeing Dave front VH now would be a novelty that would wear off fast. Roth's band now is simply in better condition.

Sure, I was psyched in 1996 when it looked like a full-blown classic reunion would happen. But the last.....jesus, is it closing in on a decade?!.....time has not been good to the brothers at all. Ed just looks like he's dying. Plain and simple. Alex was playing in a neck brace last time I saw a picture of him in 1998.

About the one thing I can agree with Eddie on is that, by this point, classic Van Halen is best left to memory. The soap opera dramatics and guttersniping in the press has gone from interesting to boring. If there's no music involved, I could really give a shit how Roth, the Van Halens and Anthony are getting along (aborted 2000 reunion, Dave suing the band, Anthony being out of contact with Ed and Al.....all of it).

The music those four guys put out took balls and hunger to create. Ed, Al and Mike lost that edge a long time ago.

If those four want to get together and put out a live DVD of classic performances, I'll be first in line to buy it. But I'm gonna be skeptical about any new classic VH release, should it come to pass, until I hear it first. All of Dave's enthusiasm probably won't be enough to light a fire under the Van Halen's asses and goad them into putting out music with muscle and integrity. That's why I can buy all the Van Hagar reunion rumors. Sammy represents no challenge to Eddie. You can hear it in the music. Sam has always been a willing accomplice to Ed's laziness.

Keep rocking, Dave. Don't settle for second best when it comes to VH. If Ed and Al aren't up to snuff, better you bail then participate in a reunion sham for the easy money.

Figs
02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
I concur.....

dusk884
02-02-2005, 03:59 PM
aahh the truth has revealed itself I think. I solemnly nod my head in agreement to the idea that the dream is gone.

Wait!

Crazier things have happened. Kieth Richards was starting to decay physically around 1985 and I've seen amazing stuff from him almost 20 years later!

This is no time to throw in the towel, sir!

DLR_EngineRoom
02-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Even Roth's presence wouldn't be enough to pull a classic Van Halen reunion off.

Anthony might be up for it, but Eddie and Alex are all done. Seeing Dave front VH now would be a novelty that would wear off fast. Roth's band now is simply in better condition.

Sure, I was psyched in 1996 when it looked like a full-blown classic reunion would happen. But the last.....jesus, is it closing in on a decade?!.....time has not been good to the brothers at all. Ed just looks like he's dying. Plain and simple. Alex was playing in a neck brace last time I saw a picture of him in 1998.

About the one thing I can agree with Eddie on is that, by this point, classic Van Halen is best left to memory. The soap opera dramatics and guttersniping in the press has gone from interesting to boring. If there's no music involved, I could really give a shit how Roth, the Van Halens and Anthony are getting along (aborted 2000 reunion, Dave suing the band, Anthony being out of contact with Ed and Al.....all of it).

The music those four guys put out took balls and hunger to create. Ed, Al and Mike lost that edge a long time ago.

If those four want to get together and put out a live DVD of classic performances, I'll be first in line to buy it. But I'm gonna be skeptical about any new classic VH release, should it come to pass, until I hear it first. All of Dave's enthusiasm probably won't be enough to light a fire under the Van Halen's asses and goad them into putting out music with muscle and integrity. That's why I can buy all the Van Hagar reunion rumors. Sammy represents no challenge to Eddie. You can hear it in the music. Sam has always been a willing accomplice to Ed's laziness.

Keep rocking, Dave. Don't settle for second best when it comes to VH. If Ed and Al aren't up to snuff, better you bail then participate in a reunion sham for the easy money.

A-F@#$%&!!-MEN!!!

Halen High
02-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Terry

I try to remain optimistic but you are probably right. I don't think Eddie or Alex could pull it off now. They've lost 'it'. I would be more than happy to see Dave go full-on into his solo work now with a couple of hard rocking albums, world tour, live DVD etc.