PDA

View Full Version : do we believe this?

Ally_Kat
01-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Doctor Says He Has Implanted Cloned Human Embryo

Email this story

Jan 17, 10:47 AM (ET)

LONDON (Reuters) - A maverick U.S.-based fertility expert said on Saturday he had implanted a cloned human embryo into a 35-year-old woman and was looking for more volunteers.
Launching an international search in London for women willing to be the surrogate mothers of cloned human embryos, Dr. Panos Zavos said he was still waiting to see if the implantation had been successful.

"We transferred the first cloned embryo into a 35-year-old woman. Since it has not been two weeks since we transferred the embryo, we are waiting for the results of the pregnancy," he told a stunned news conference.

His shock announcement drew skepticism in some quarters.

"This is not the first time Dr. Zavos has made claims without producing any form of evidence to substantiate them," Patrick Cusworth of anti-abortion charity LIFE told reporters.

"LIFE as an organization would probably greet Doctor Zavos' latest claim with a certain amount of skepticism," he added.

Zavos said the embryo he had implanted in the unidentified woman, who was entering premature menopause, had grown from an egg which was harvested from her own body and fertilized with DNA taken from skin cells donated by her infertile husband.

He said the skin cells were transformed into a "species" of cells that were fused with the egg.

"After that happened the fusion took place. The activation took place. The embryo took off and developed properly. It was a very healthy-looking embryo. We decided with the consent of the patient to transfer that embryo, and we did," he explained.

"We are very optimistic that the results will be positive," he added.

Ally_Kat
01-17-2004, 10:48 PM
awh crap, i hit something on the keyboard when i was writing this and i fucked up the description. I wanted it to say, 'isn't this the 5th cloned kid we supposidly have?' but i fucked up. FORD, Elvis, if you guys can fix that or something...if not, it's no biggie

Flash Bastard
01-17-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm looking for volunteers to impregnate as well.

ELVIS
01-17-2004, 11:22 PM
That field cannot be edited Ally.. sorry...

FORD
01-18-2004, 01:10 AM
I was wondering what the "isn" was about ;)

I'm seriously concerned about human cloning. While I see some positive applications, such as the possibility of making it possible for couples who might otherwise be unable to concieve a child to have one, there's the far more cynical implications.

The BCE has already brought George Orwell's "1984" and "Animal Farm" into reality. We don't need Huxley's "Brave New World" along with it.

FORD
01-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That field cannot be edited Ally.. sorry...

Actually it can. I fixed it. :D

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 01:13 AM
How did you fix that Dave ??

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 01:14 AM
I was testing out the hidden post crap...

Dude I tried to fix it...

FORD
01-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
How did you fix that Dave ??

Down at the very bottom of the page on the thread is a drop down menu that says "Admin Options". There's an "Edit Thread" option in there that allows you access to the titles and subtitles of the threads. Pretty cool huh? :D

Ally_Kat
01-18-2004, 03:32 AM
psst...is this a boys only club?

Ally_Kat
01-18-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Actually it can. I fixed it. :D

you would think i would know this shit being a moderator and all!

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 04:08 AM
Very cool.. I should pay more attention...

Thanks!

BigBadBrian
01-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by FORD

The BCE has already brought George Orwell's "1984" and "Animal Farm" into reality. We don't need Huxley's "Brave New World" along with it.

:rolleyes: Tin Foil Beanie Time.