PDA

View Full Version : Canada Keeps Censoring Fox but OKs Al-Jazeera

Sgt Schultz
07-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Monday, July 19, 2004
Canada Keeps Censoring Fox but OKs Al-Jazeera

Canada's increasingly strange government, which continues to censor Fox News Channel, has covertly approved the unleashing of the terrorists' favorite propaganda machine.

"The federal broadcast regulator made one of its most controversial decisions in recent years when it approved the digital distribution [Thursday] of the Arabic-language TV news network Al-Jazeera, although it did so without any public hearings," the Toronto Globe and Mail reported today.

Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, apparently caught up in Ottawa's P.C. craze for "diversity," also OK'd eight "other so-called ethnic distribution requests": five in Spanish, one German, one Romanian and another Arabic-language station.

But Canada's FNC fans who want a popular network that would actually draw an audience are out of luck. Like America's pseudo-intelligentsia, the Canadian elites have no tolerance for diversity of ideas that might be moderate, conservative, libertarian or patriotic.

Canada Wants Its Fox News

"Why is Fox News banned from Canada, yet CNN isn't?"

Peter Worthington of the Toronto Sun poses this question in his latest article.

He isn't sure if it's because Canada is more accepting of the liberal-leaning CNN, or if it's just because CNN was there first and is sort of 'grandfathered in,' so to speak.

Either way, Fox News has blown away the competition here in the U.S., and Worthington says he feels "withdrawal pangs" after returning to a Fox-free Canada. "I find Fox News an invaluable balance to CNN programming," he says.

When he called up his cable company to find out why Fox News isn't available, his answer was a chuckle: "Ask the CRTC or, better still, ask the CCTA (Canadian Cable Television Association)."

Worthington tells readers that Canada's governing CRTA has had an application from the CCTA to allow Fox News into the Great White North's TV system, but the CRTA has not done anything about it. "We don't understand how the CRTC can keep denying Canadians the right to have Fox News," said a CCTA spokesman.

The BBC and Euro News are both in Canada, and one can listen to Rush Limbaugh and others who don't lean left on the radio, if you can pick it up from a U.S. station.

But there is no alternative to the liberal media establishment in Canada, and that's apparently the way they like it, if the Globe and Mail's TV critic John Doyle is any measure.

He wrote that Fox News should be aired in Canada ... "so that we can all take a look, and get a laugh."

Worthington dismisses Doyle as childish, wondering how the G&M can even print his infantile tripe.

He concludes by saying that he wants Fox News in Canada as soon as possible, "not just for the amusement of Canadians like John Doyle, but their intellectual edification."

"Trust me," he says, "Fox News is not pathologically conservative or right wing. It is mostly sensible, and airs opinions from people who aren't afraid to challenge prevailing orthodoxy or think differently. Small wonder Liberals and the CRTC fear it."

FORD
07-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Canada has their own right wing news network. It's called "Global"

Angel
07-20-2004, 01:11 PM
You got it Ford. Also, Al-Jazeera is being allowed, but must be heavily monitored and censored. A costly effort which will stop any cable providers from carrying it anyway.

Full Bug
07-20-2004, 01:18 PM
CRTC shows biased colours

By PETER WORTHINGTON -- For the Toronto Sun

It speaks volumes about the CRTC.

Okaying Al-Jazeera coming into Canada, but forbidding Fox News, tells you all you need to know about the CRTC.

Does that make sense? Of course not, but that's the CRTC -- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission -- which has about as much relevance to today's electronic society as the horse and buggy has to the automobile.

Except horses are gentle, passive creatures while the CRTC is useless, unnecessary and offensive. By all means, let Al-Jazeera be seen and heard by Canadians -- even in its most slanted and hateful form. People are able to decide for themselves.

But also let Fox News in, let the O'Reilly Factor be seen and heard, let Canadians decide whether they want to watch America's popular TV news and talk show. Let Italy's RAI International be seen -- also banned because the CRTC doesn't want foreign competition against existing Canadian programs like TeleLatino, despite a petition from over 100,000 Italian-Canadians for RAI.

Most outrageous is the CRTC cancelling the licence of Quebec City's CHOI-FM, basically because it's vulgar, raunchy and in bad taste. CHOI regularly snipes at an opposition radio host who was found guilty of paying for sex with a 17-year-old prostitute.

CHOI upsets local politicians, despite its enormous popularity (the National Post says 9,417 "interventions" to the CRTC supported the station, while 38 opposed it.) CHOI has been around since 1985, but now is disciplined in a fashion mindful of George Orwell's novel, 1984.

HBO, ESPN and Fox News are not sleazy, dishonest or offensive -- except to the politically lib-left. Yet they are blacklisted by the CRTC, which is an institution that has lived beyond its time.

Ever hypocritical, the CRTC has made it so that few cable networks are likely to bid for Al-Jazeera. The cable companies are responsible for what they air, so when Al-Jazeera says hateful things about Israel (for example) these must be censored or the distributor is in trouble. That, too, is a cop-out, to ensure that cable companies won't rush to carry Al-Jazeera because, to do so, will be too risky.

The decision to approve the application to bring Al-Jazeera to Canada may be a good thing if it hastens the end of the CRTC.

If nothing else, it underlines the CRTC's hypocrisy and cunning, by pandering on one hand to militant lib-left elements, while on the other hand shifting content responsibility to cable companies. (Why won't it do that for Fox News?)

No media outlet relishes being sued by Jewish organizations protesting hate material they might inadvertently air. And we all know Jewish groups will be quick with a writ against Al-Jazeera.

For most Canadian TV viewers, not having access to Fox News is the biggest loss, and most grievous argument against the CRTC. Fox has a reputation of being conservative, which it may be, but it is also fair by conventional journalistic standards.

CNN is allowed into Canada, and is distinctly (and admittedly) slanted towards the Democrats. Why would the CRTC deny Fox News access, and thereby make the CRTC a pawn of CNN?

Few suggest that Fox News is excessively pro-American any more than CNN is excessively anti-American. What both are is "American," and having access to both gives viewers a better chance to make up their own minds and determine "truth."

Why would the CRTC object to that? But they do. The CRTC tolerates rival Canadian networks -- the CBC, CTV and Global -- one of which (CBC) is financed by the state, which Global especially finds offensive and unfair. Which it is, but that's Canada.

The fuss over Al-Jazeera is unlikely to diminish. A greater blight is the continued existence of the CRTC, which demeans Canadians and condemns us to cultural mediocrity.

Full Bug
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
"It speaks volumes about the CRTC."

"Okaying Al-Jazeera coming into Canada, but forbidding Fox News, tells you all you need to know about the CRTC."
Exactly.....

Big Train
07-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Could not agree more.

JimmytheWurm
10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Big Brother is watching you...

Warham
10-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Disgraceful.

The US should immediately put in a large construction project ala the Big Dig to put a huge moat between us and Canada, filling it preferably with great whites and other carnivorous marine life.

ODShowtime
10-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Canada Keeps Censoring Fox but OKs Al-Jazeera
Worthington says he feels "withdrawal pangs" after returning to a Fox-free Canada. "I find Fox News an invaluable balance to CNN programming," he says.

Awe, he gets cranky when he doesn't get his afternoon propaganda:(

Angel
10-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Of course, that would mean that we would in turn be turning off the taps, doesn't it?

Who dug up this old shit anyway? The criteria for censoring Al-Jazeera is so HUGE that none of the cable companies have taken them on, or will take them on. They have to provide censorship 24/7 and air on a taped delay so that they may censor any "sensitive" items. The reason for saying no to Fox was that we have ENOUGH US companies airing here.

Big Train
10-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Awe, he gets cranky when he doesn't get his afternoon propaganda:(

Unless it is government regulated CNN flavor, which he hates...

Angel, that would be fine if you could accept us turning off our foriegn aid to you (i.e. billions in corporate support through our various companies and trillions in Military support, protecting your country).

Angel
10-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Go ahead. What military support do you provide us, and what protection do you provide our country? :rolleyes: Where you get this idea of billions in corporate support is beyond me. You're totally fucking delusional!

So please, let's build a fucking wall, with a moat... you'll enjoy life with no water, no natural gas, etc...

Big Train
10-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm totally delusional? Not even a few posts ago you were just saying there are too many US companies in Canada. Pick a path...

You don't need a military as you have ours pulling double duty. You just said in the other thread that your military is horribly out of date. Why? Cause you don't need them. Nothing will EVER happen to your countries military without us intervening within HOURS, so let's not bullshit here. And all that money that you saved by not spending on the military ISN'T a benefit to your country? Spare me...

Pink Spider
10-27-2004, 06:50 PM
So, does Al-Jazeera air in the US? Or is my hypocracy meter going off for no reason?

Big Train
10-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Pretty much...no reason. Too make the comparision between Fox/CNN and Al-Jazerra is pretty dumb.

BigBadBrian
10-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Pink Spider
So, does Al-Jazeera air in the US? Or is my hypocracy meter going off for no reason?

It would if it could make enough money. :gulp:

Pink Spider
10-27-2004, 07:02 PM
They're all propaganda outlets. It's a fair comparison. From what I've seen, FOX and CNN are more censored than the other on a few topics.

Angel
10-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
I'm totally delusional? Not even a few posts ago you were just saying there are too many US companies in Canada. Pick a path...

You don't need a military as you have ours pulling double duty. You just said in the other thread that your military is horribly out of date. Why? Cause you don't need them. Nothing will EVER happen to your countries military without us intervening within HOURS, so let's not bullshit here. And all that money that you saved by not spending on the military ISN'T a benefit to your country? Spare me...

I guess I should have worded it better, we have enough US TELEVISION STATIONS on the air in Canada.

Please tell me, what countries have attempted to attack Canada? There has only been one in history, that being the USA. So does that mean you will help us defend ourselves against you? :confused:

Nothing will happen to our military because you'll be there for us? You FUCKING BASTARD!!! YOUR FUCKING TROOPS LIKE TO BOMB OUR BOYS - or are you not aware of your own fuck-ups?

Seems to me that we are a nation of peace-keepers, you may not be aware of that. Here is a list of all current CF operations:

- CF International Operations as of 13 October 2004 -

UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
OP ACCIUS
Afghanistan 1

CF Contribution to the International Campaign Against Terrorism
OP ALTAIR
Arabian Gulf Region 1

Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force
OP ATHENA
Afghanistan 951

OP FOUNDATION
Tampa, Florida 5

United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI)
OP IOLAUS
Iraq 1

Canadian Forces' participation in the NATO Campaign Against Terrorism
OP SIRIUS
Sigonella, Italy 68

NATO Stabilization Force (SFOR)
OP BRONZE
Bosnia-Herzegovina 83

NATO Stabilization Force (SFOR)
OP PALLADIUM
Bosnia-Herzegovina 268

CF Contribution to the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti Headquarters (MINUSTAH HQ)
OP HAMLET
Haiti 2

Multinational Force and Observers (MFO)
OP CALUMET
Sinai 28

UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF)
OP DANACA
Golan Heights 193

UN Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO)
OP JADE
Jerusalem 8

UN Forces in Cyprus (UNFICYP)
OP SNOWGOOSE
Cyprus 1

UN Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC)
OP CROCODILE
Democratic Republic of the Congo 8

UN Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL)
OP REPTILE
Sierra Leone 5

United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMISUD)
OP SAFARI
Sudan 2

International Military Advisory Training Team (IMATT)
OP SCULPTURE
Sierra Leone 8

I'm not sure if you are aware just how many nations would come to Canada's defence if anyone ever tried to attack...

JimmytheWurm
10-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Let's face it, the only truth you can find in the news is probably going to be on Discovery Channel...

ODShowtime
10-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Angel
YOUR FUCKING TROOPS LIKE TO BOMB OUR BOYS - or are you not aware of your own fuck-ups?

You can come down here and personally kiss my ass for that statement.

Big Train
10-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Angel,

Did you ever stop to think on that pedastal of yours that the reason Canada has never been attacked is because of your proximity to us? That is the fucking truth, deal with it.

There is a lot more US investment in Canada than just TV stations.

I am fucking bastard...Fuck you. There have been accidents no doubt, but that changes absolutely nothing about what I'm saying. You can think of yourself as a member of a nation of peacekeepers or whatever makes you sleep better at night, but the truth doesn't change.

Angel
10-28-2004, 03:17 PM
The truth that we don't get attacked because we are friendly and polite?

As for "accidents"... pilots hopped up on speed and not following orders are no accidents...

Big Train
10-28-2004, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Angel
[B]The truth that we don't get attacked because we are friendly and polite?

Keeping holding on to that dream.....

Angel
10-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Keep on thinking it's a dream... just don't tell dubya how much oil, etc we have, or he'll be attacking Alberta next!

franksters
10-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Angel

Ilove you, These guys don't know what it is to own a canadian passport,

and to be welcome in every country that you go to...

anyway their economy is now goin down anyway.. soon they will get a taste of reality ..

US pals is NOT the center of the universe and it will never be.

See Canada wants to be more like a Neutral country so that way we don't get in trouble and we also get favors from everyone yes including the united states of assholes!!

as you know we are in america too!

I hate to hear when i go down in the us '' this is AMERICA''

morron this whole continent is America...

and by the way fuck the crtc!

franksters
10-28-2004, 07:53 PM
If new york and the rest of east coast would find out that quebec sells them electricity 3 times (us$)the prices we pay it overhere(CAN$) they would probably invade!!!