PDA

View Full Version : Bush Can't Win

Sgt Schultz
07-20-2004, 09:57 AM
W.’s Double Binds
He can’t win — even if he does!

by Rich Lowry

Sometimes a political figure becomes so hated that he can't do anything right in the eyes of his enemies. President Bush has achieved this rare and exalted status. His critics are so blinded by animus that the internal consistency of their attacks on him no longer matters. For them, Bush is the double-bind president.

If he stumbles over his words, he is an embarrassing idiot. If he manages to cut taxes or wage a war against Saddam Hussein with bipartisan support, he is a manipulative genius.

If he hasn't been able to capture Osama bin Laden, he is endangering U.S. security. If he catches bin Laden, it is only a ploy to influence the elections.

If he ignores U.N. resolutions, he is a dangerous unilateralist. If he takes U.N. resolutions on Iraq seriously, he is a dangerous unilateralist. If he doesn't get France to agree to his Iraq policy, he is ignoring important international actors. If he supports multiparty talks on North Korea, he is not doing enough to ignore important international actors.

If he bombed Iraq, he should have bombed Saudi Arabia instead, and if he had bombed Saudi Arabia, he should have bombed Iran, and if he had bombed all three, he shouldn't have bombed anyone at all. If he imposes a U.S. occupation on Iraq, he is fomenting Iraqi resistance by making the United States seem an imperial power. If he ends the U.S. occupation, he is cutting and running.

If he warns of a terror attack, he is playing alarmist politics. If he doesn't warn of a terror attack, he is dangerously asleep at the switch. If he says we're safer, he's lying, and if he doesn't say we're safer, he's implicitly admitting that he has failed in his core duty as commander in chief.

If he adopts a doctrine of preemption, he is unacceptably remaking American national-security policy. If the United States suffers a terror attack on his watch, he should have preempted it. If he signs a far-reaching antiterror law, he is abridging civil liberties. If the United States suffers another terror attack on his watch, he should have had a more vigorous anti-terror law.

Bush's economy hasn't created new jobs. If it has created new jobs, they aren't well-paying jobs. If they are well-paying jobs, there is still income inequality in America.

If Bush opposes a prescription-drug benefit for the elderly, he's miserly. If he supports a prescription-drug benefit for the elderly, he's lining the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies. If he restrains government spending, he's heartless. If he supports government spending, he's bankrupting the nation and robbing from future generations.

If he opposes campaign-finance reform, he's a tool of corporate interests. If he signs campaign-finance reform, he's abridging the First Amendment rights of Michael Moore (whose ads for Fahrenheit 9/11 might run afoul of the law).

If he accuses John Kerry of flip-flopping, he is merely highlighting one of the Massachusetts senator's strengths — his nuance and thoughtfulness. If he flip-flops on nation-building or testifying before the 9/11 commission, he proves his own ill-intentions, cluelessness, or both.

If he doesn't admit a mistake, he is bullheaded and detached from reality. If he admits a mistake, he is damning his own governance in shocking fashion.

If he sticks with Dick Cheney, he is saddling himself with an unpopular vice president, giving Democrats who can't wait to run against Cheney a political advantage. If he drops Cheney, he is admitting that the Democratic attacks against his vice president have hit home, thus giving Democrats who have made those charges a political advantage.

If he loses in November, the voice of the American people has spoken a devastating verdict on his presidency. If he wins, he stole the election.

Wayne L.
07-20-2004, 12:05 PM
The critics of President Bush on the radical fringe left who are the image of the mainstream Democratic Party these days think they have ruined him for good with all these attacks but John Kerry will have it even WORSE if he gets elected president in November before he's even inaugurated from the right which the other side hasn't thought about yet!!!

FORD
07-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Shit.... the liberals will be harder on Kerry than the right wingers will be, and with good reason, given all his right wing votes of the last 3 years.

knuckleboner
07-20-2004, 12:27 PM
and there weren't those on the other side who occasionally liked to dig at clinton?

both sides do it. it's presidential politics these days.

doesn't make it right. but, it's reality.

BigBadBrian
07-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
and there weren't those on the other side who occasionally liked to dig at clinton?

both sides do it. it's presidential politics these days.

doesn't make it right. but, it's reality.

The last four years have been ridiculous though. Kerry will have absolutely hell to pay if he does get elected, particularly if the GOP does hold on to the house and Senate. It would almost be merciful for him personally if he lost. The nastiness that began under Clinton and escalated under Bush is going to do nothing but get worse. Just watch. :gulp:

FORD
07-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Answer's simple: Restore the Fairness Act, break up the corporate media monopolies, kill the wholesale neocon propoganda industry, and then demand that your elected representatives do what you sent them to Washington DC to do.

There are legitmate differences between liberals and conservatives, but that is NOT what's polarizing this country. It's now more a matter of those who believe the neocon bullshit vs those who don't. And there are a hell of a lot of conservatives among those who don't.

As our last Constitutionally elected President, Bill Clinton said (ironically enough at a Bush White House ceremony) we need to get back to a point where politics can be a discussion of what's right and wrong, rather than what's "good" and "evil".

I don't believe Pat Buchanan, John McCain, or Alan Keyes (to name a few) are evil. True, they do range from slightly to horribly misguided, but that's life, and legitimate policy differences I can deal with.

The PNAC neocons ARE evil. They are the very epitome of antichrist fascism, and they must be destroyed by any means neccessary if America is to survive. Defeating Bush Jr is only the first step.

Big Train
07-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Ford it is simple. Turn down the hysteria, the conspiracy theories, the neocon whatever.

There are far too many people spouting crazy things and not much rational talk at the table going on, I agree with you there. We need to just simplify and get back to the issues at hand.

John Ashcroft
07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Politicians do not represent the average American. The bullshit they and the press inflate to ridiculous proportions doesn't necessarily ring with the average working, voting person.

We have a bit of fun here ourselves. We go tit for tat, in a sometimes heated fashion. But when I talk to my co-workers and friends about some of this stuff, they usually don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. They aren't that concerned about who's liberal and who's conservative. They certainly don't discriminate possible friendships because of political ideology. It usually doesn't even come up. I mean, I wish they were a bit more educated about this stuff from time to time, but I realize they are busy living. Discussing politics is a hobby of mine, but at the end of the day I'll still accept the invitation from any of my liberal friends to go out for a beer or two.

However, I can tell you that from my experience you libs are way-overplaying your hand. Alot of my friends that haven't necessarily paid attention to politics in the past, are getting angry with the whole anti-Bush crowd's behavior. Your unreasonable hatred of Bush is drawing negative attention to your cause. People really don't like this type of "criticism" of a President while troops are committed in war.

ELVIS
07-20-2004, 09:31 PM
FORD, you cant get back to right and wrong by labeling someone the "epitome of antichrist fascism"

:rolleyes:

knuckleboner
07-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
But when I talk to my co-workers and friends about some of this stuff, they usually don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. They aren't that concerned about who's liberal and who's conservative. They certainly don't discriminate possible friendships because of political ideology. It usually doesn't even come up.

heh heh. law school, alone, is usually a bit more conservative. but i went to an economically-oriented one. by far, MOST of my really good friends from there are conservatives. hell, one is working in ashcroft (the other one)'s group. i've told her that the election is actually kinda a win-win for me. if kerry wins, great. if bush wins, she still has a job. (don't get TOO excited for her, though. she's a van hagar fan. honestly. :D)

Cathedral
07-21-2004, 01:25 AM
Stand behind the President whether you voted for them or not. if you don't then all the bickering makes everyone a loser.
Nothing gets done when the only rebuttle is hate filled drivel.

Bush is going to have it easier getting re-elected than any of you know.
The Democrat's ship is sinking fast and it is mostly due to them shooting holes in their own keel.

It stopped being interesting months ago and my mind is made up already. bring on election day.

ELVIS
07-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Politicians do not represent the average American. The bullshit they and the press inflate to ridiculous proportions doesn't necessarily ring with the average working, voting person.

We have a bit of fun here ourselves. We go tit for tat, in a sometimes heated fashion. But when I talk to my co-workers and friends about some of this stuff, they usually don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. They aren't that concerned about who's liberal and who's conservative. They certainly don't discriminate possible friendships because of political ideology. It usually doesn't even come up. I mean, I wish they were a bit more educated about this stuff from time to time, but I realize they are busy living. Discussing politics is a hobby of mine, but at the end of the day I'll still accept the invitation from any of my liberal friends to go out for a beer or two.

However, I can tell you that from my experience you libs are way-overplaying your hand. Alot of my friends that haven't necessarily paid attention to politics in the past, are getting angry with the whole anti-Bush crowd's behavior. Your unreasonable hatred of Bush is drawing negative attention to your cause. People really don't like this type of "criticism" of a President while troops are committed in war.

Amen to that...

:elvis:

ELVIS
07-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Stand behind the President whether you voted for them or not. if you don't then all the bickering makes everyone a loser.
Nothing gets done when the only rebuttle is hate filled drivel.

Bush is going to have it easier getting re-elected than any of you know.
The Democrat's ship is sinking fast and it is mostly due to them shooting holes in their own keel.

It stopped being interesting months ago and my mind is made up already. bring on election day.

Amen to that too!

:elvis:

FORD
07-21-2004, 09:43 AM
How many of you saying "stand behind the pResident" actually stood behind the LAST President?

Considering you all still bash him to this day, I doubt it.

Sgt Schultz
07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by FORD
How many of you saying "stand behind the pResident" actually stood behind the LAST President?

Considering you all still bash him to this day, I doubt it.

I think he was referring to supporting him during wartime, especially in this case, where public unfounded criticism of the President is being done just to win an election and DOES help terrorists in their campaign in Iraq.

I supported Clinton when he had some limited strikes against Iraq.