PDA

View Full Version : Would be interesting...

DR CHIP
07-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Nuclear arms reportedly found in Iraq

Baghdad, Iraq, Jul. 21 (UPI) -- Iraqi security reportedly discovered three missiles carrying nuclear heads concealed in a concrete trench northwest of Baghdad, official sources said Wednesday.

The official daily al-Sabah quoted the sources as saying the missiles were discovered in trenches near the city of Tikrit, the hometown of ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

"The three missiles were discovered by chance when the Iraqi security forces captured former Baath party official Khoder al-Douri who revealed during interrogation the location of the missiles saying they carried nuclear heads," the sources said.

They pointed out that the missiles were actually discovered in the trenches lying under six meters of concrete and designed in a way to unable sophisticated sensors from discovering nuclear radiation.

The sources said al-Douri, who is related to former Vice Chairman of the Iraq Revolution Council and Saddam's right-hand man Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, was captured after Iraqi police intercepted an e-mail message in which he set a meeting with another former Baath official.

The report could not be authenticated by the interior ministry or the national security department, but the paper noted Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshiar Zibari made a surprise request recently to Mohammed el-Baradei, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, to resume inspections for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

DR CHIP
07-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Here's the link

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040721-081009-2541r.htm

FORD
07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
I'll reserve judgment until I see a credible source. I believe NOTHING that comes from Moonies.

FORD
07-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Iraq Interior Ministry Says Report on Nukes 'Stupid'
Wed Jul 21, 2004 09:28 AM ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's Interior Ministry dismissed as "stupid" a report in a local newspaper on Wednesday that said three nuclear missiles had been found near the town of Tikrit.

A senior U.S. military official told reporters he had no information on the report in the newspaper al-Sabah. He said officials were checking the report.

Asked by Reuters about the report, a spokesman at the Interior Ministry said: "It's stupid."

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

Sgt Schultz
07-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I'll reserve judgment until I see a credible source. I believe NOTHING that comes from Moonies.

THis looks like a hoax. The url is "washtimes.com" the real Washington Times url is "washingtontimes.com". When you go to their main site, there is not mention of this story. And searches within the real site have no hits for this story. Apparently some other news sources have picked this up and run the story. I think it's fake.

I agree with Ford but for different reasons - I think this is a well done hoax.

DR CHIP
07-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Just posting guys....:)

FORD
07-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
THis looks like a hoax. The url is "washtimes.com" the real Washington Times url is "washingtontimes.com". When you go to their main site, there is not mention of this story. And searches within the real site have no hits for this story. Apparently some other news sources have picked this up and run the story. I think it's fake.

I agree with Ford but for different reasons - I think this is a well done hoax.

Nope. Actually, your theory sounded interesting, so I checked out the domain name "washtimes.com".

It belongs to the Moonies...

Registrant:
The Washington Times (WASHTIMES2-DOM)
3600 New York Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002
US

Domain Name: WASHTIMES.COM

Administrative Contact:
The Washington Times Corp. (WA1250-ORG) webadmin@WASHTIMES.COM
3600 NEW YORK AVE NE
WASHINGTON, DC 20002-1947
US
(202) 636-3088 fax: - - - (202) 636-4930

Technical Contact:
Internet DNS Engineering (MTC3-ORG) dns@CW.NET
Internet DNS Engineering
9000 Regency Parkway Suite 200
Cary, NC 27511
US
800-977-4662 opt.4/ 919-4 fax: 1 919 465 4187

So yes, the report IS false, but the Rev Moon and his boys are willing participants.

FORD
07-21-2004, 11:48 AM
And for the sake of comparison, the info for www.washingtontimes.com.....

Registrant:
The Washington Times (WASHINGTONTIMES3-DOM)
3600 New York Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002
US

Domain Name: WASHINGTONTIMES.COM

Administrative Contact:
The Washington Times Corp. (WA1250-ORG) webadmin@WASHTIMES.COM
3600 NEW YORK AVE NE
WASHINGTON, DC 20002-1947
US
(202) 636-3088 fax: - - - (202) 636-4930

Technical Contact:
Internet DNS Engineering (MTC3-ORG) dns@CW.NET
Internet DNS Engineering
9000 Regency Parkway Suite 200
Cary, NC 27511
US
800-977-4662 opt.4/ 919-4 fax: 1 919 465 4187

You will note that it's identical.

Sgt Schultz
07-21-2004, 11:51 AM
al-Sabah reported this originally. Apparently the free Iraqi press has reported a lot of stuff that turned out to be not true. I think the press in Iraq right now is something like the Wild West of jounalism.

I believe you Ford. What is weird is that you can't find that link except for going directly to it. Apparently it was a UPI report originally. I think that the Washington Times, or UPI should have put a short blurb about the veracity of some Iraqi press reports. Didn't one of them report that the Iraqi PM personally executed several trerrorist detainees?

Drudge is listing the report too, along with a Reuters story saying it isn't true. If I were in the press I wouldn't touch this one without more confirming sources.

FORD
07-21-2004, 12:18 PM
The UPI is also owned by the Moonies. And the Iraqi paper Al Sabah is apparently the same paper which ran the story in 1990 about Saddam's troops pulling babies out of incubators and throwing them on the floor of hospitals. A story that Bush Sr used effectively for propaganda, but was later proven to be completely false. So they're an even less reliable source than the Moonies.

Problem with this whole thing is that it's a shining example of how the right wing corporate media works. The story begins from a highly questionable source. Then it's picked up by Drudge. Then the Washingmoonie Times. Once it's in the WMT, the right wingers accept it as a credible story, so FAUX picks it up. Then, once FAUX runs it, CNN and MSRNC have to pick it up, or risk losing ratings. And then with the story being all over cable, Pete, Tom, and Dan will be running it on the networks by 6:00 tonight. And by the time the truth that comes out that the story is totally false, it's already been played up for maximum hype. It's happenned every time there's been a false alarm "weapons find" in Iraq. Remember all the hysteria over the "mobile chemical weapons labs" which turned out to be weather balloon launching stations supplied by the British?

Seshmeister
07-21-2004, 12:23 PM
The thing is FORD that if the US is run by such a corrupt administration with strong ties to the evil CIA, why haven't they just planted WMDs yet.

A WMD find would be great news for Bush's reelection and help get their pal Blair out of the difficulties he's in just now.

Maybe the world isn't such a bad place after all...

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The thing is FORD that if the US is run by such a corrupt administration with strong ties to the evil CIA, why haven't they just planted WMDs yet.

A WMD find would be great news for Bush's reelection and help get their pal Blair out of the difficulties he's in just now.

Maybe the world isn't such a bad place after all...

Cheers!

:gulp:

If they have actually succeeded in planting WMD's, they won't be "found" until as late as possible, so there's no time to debug the story.

A likely scenario would be for the WMD's to be "found" right around the 20th - 25th of October and by the time it's obvious that the event was staged, the pre-arranged "terrorist attack" will be in effect and nobody will care anymore that the BCE lied (again)

Seshmeister
07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
If by some miracle that doesn't happen can I bump this thread...?:)

DR CHIP
07-21-2004, 01:14 PM
bump....:)

Sgt Schultz
07-21-2004, 01:19 PM
From The Washington Times
Official denies nuclear arms found in Iraq

Baghdad, Iraq, Jul. 21 (UPI) -- A U.S. military official Wednesday denied a report of Iraqi missiles carrying nuclear warheads being found in a concrete trench northwest of Baghdad.

The daily al-Sabah newspaper Wednesday had quoted sources as saying three missiles armed with nuclear warheads were discovered in a trench near the city of Tikrit, the hometown of ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

A U.S. military spokesman in Tikrit told United Press International that the report was untrue.

"Nothing's been found. The report is not factual," said Master Sgt. Robert Cowens, a spokesman for the 1st Infantry Division, based in Tikrit.

The newspaper reported the three missiles were discovered by chance when Iraqi security forces captured former Baath party official Khoder al-Douri who revealed during interrogation the location of the missiles saying they carried nuclear warheads.

Al-Sabah said that the missiles were discovered in a trench under six meters of concrete, designed to evade sophisticated sensors.

A spokesman with Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's office told UPI that the report concerning the alleged missiles and warheads emerged "while gathering information for Saddam Hussein's tribunal" during the interrogation of a captured former official of Saddam's regime.

FORD
07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Nice of Rev. Moon to print the retraction. I don't suppose he put it on the front page?

Sgt Schultz
07-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Nice of Rev. Moon to print the retraction. I don't suppose he put it on the front page?

Well I don't think it's a retraction. It's two different stories. As far as the original story, I don't know how it was posted. I believe it was on a sidebar under breaking stories from UPI.

John Ashcroft
07-22-2004, 10:01 AM
How the hell did I miss this yesterday??? Oh yeah, I wasn't on the computer... Sorry for the dupe post guys.

Anywho... Anyone feel like a chant? Let's do it!

Bush lied, soldiers died! Bush lied, soldiers died! Bush lied, soldiers died!...

Ah fuck it, it just doesn't have the same ring anymore.

Silly liberals.

JCOOK
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey Ford: They were planted by the BCE right? Why not plant much more-- dont' wanna overdue it all at once they might catch onto us--just a few here and there and then plant the motherlode.

FORD
07-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
Hey Ford: They were planted by the BCE right? Why not plant much more-- dont' wanna overdue it all at once they might catch onto us--just a few here and there and then plant the motherlode.

I guess you didn't read the thread. They weren't planted by the BCE (this time) because the story was complete bullshit, started by known Iraqi liars, and spread by the Moonies, who have since retracted the story.

JCOOK
07-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Thats' what the BCE would have you believe--

John Ashcroft
07-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Heh heh heh... You're gonna confuse him.