PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson for Jorge Posada and company

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 08:01 PM
NY would be idiotic to include Posada in any deal for RJ...no offense to RJ...

depends on the total package though...

and I'm sure Steiney is figuring he'll just get him back at some point anyways...the bastard...

TLR
07-21-2004, 09:08 PM
I don't think they dare to trade Georgie (Posada, that is). Look at who they have backing him up.

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Yeah...Flaherty...and they'd probably bring up that prospect...

but if they did that deal...with Posada involved...I would suspect their next deal would involve Benson and Kendall...or just Kendall...the only team that would take on that contract...and the Pirates would give him to them...

TLR
07-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Yep, that's an interesting scenario. Assuming, of course, the Yanks have the deal for Kendall in place before they would ever trade Posada.

The Pirates look to be begging for someone...anyone...to take Kendall off their hands.

As for Benson, if that 12-6 curve ball is back, which it looks to be, trade him to my beloved Phillies!

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 10:38 PM
LMFAO...do the Phillies have anything to deal though?

The Pirates price appears to be high...

and they'll get it...from someone...

and if they could trade Kendall to the Yanks for that Catching propect...that would be a HUGE coup for the Pirates...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I don't see that happening fellas...

Not to the Yanks, anyway...

I think the Phils are the front runners as of right now to get Benson....

And yes, he pretty much mowed down the Braves all night long tonight... At one point set down 16 straight....

TLR
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
The Phils have a boatload of pitching talent (Hamels, etc), but I don't think they will trade from there. Other than that, a minor league 1B putting up HUGE power numbers and he is expendable, obviously. Last choice: Marlon Byrd...? I don't want the Phils to trade him, but it might take that for Benson...the Pirates might be interested seeing as how they have Tyke Redman manning CF.

TLR
07-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I don't see that happening fellas...

Not to the Yanks, anyway...

I think the Phils are the front runners as of right now to get Benson....

And yes, he pretty much mowed down the Braves all night long tonight... At one point set down 16 straight....

See????? He's ALREADY helping the Phils!!!!!

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 10:52 PM
LMFAO...

I heard today that Minny was making a HUGE push...

TLR
07-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Pojo...

Don't forget to vote...THOME FOR PRESIDENT.

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Thome's a bitch...I hope he dies of dickrot...the prick...

TLR
07-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Do I detect the rantings of a snubbed Tribe fan?!

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Fuckin' liar...

He WILL get hurt this year...I guarantee it...

bastard that he is...

TLR
07-21-2004, 11:09 PM
He's ALREADY been hurt this year...TWICE, as a matter of fact.

50+ dingers, baby...

Finally, someone to fill the shoes of Michael Jack...

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 11:22 PM
He's a prick...lmfao...

did you get that I don't like the guy...

burned his jersey...the bastard...

TLR
07-22-2004, 12:21 AM
You know...I had a sneaking suspicion you had some negative energy directed at him. lmao

It was just a gut feeling I had.

As for the jersey...that's ok...there's a whole lot of 'em floatin' around Philly right about now! haha

Va Beach VH Fan
07-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by TLR
The Phils have a boatload of pitching talent (Hamels, etc), but I don't think they will trade from there. Other than that, a minor league 1B putting up HUGE power numbers and he is expendable, obviously. Last choice: Marlon Byrd...? I don't want the Phils to trade him, but it might take that for Benson...the Pirates might be interested seeing as how they have Tyke Redman manning CF.

The one thing that the Bucs don't need is pitching...

They've got 4 or 5 very good prospects at the AA and AAA level that are just about ready to be moved up....

When Benson gets traded, they'll just moved Vogelsong back as a starter from the 'pen, where I guess he was just trying to understand Jose Mesa talk all game long....

There's no doubt in terms of the Phils that if they trade with them they'll definitely get Ryan Howard, the question is what else....

That's who I hope they deal with.... A power hitting left-handed slugger, with 36 homers already in AA, hitting in the short porch in PNC Park ?? Yeah, I can see that definitely....

But can't count out the Rangers, Twins, or Mets either, although the Rangers have said they're not dealing Laynce Nix, the Twins have said they're not dealing Michael Cuddyer, and the Mets have said they're not dealing David Wright....

So what are they expecting, another "Aramis Ramirez for a bag of peanuts" deal ??

I like how Littlefield is taking his time, getting max value....

Benson's next start is Monday, if he's still with the Bucs.... That'll be his last start until the deadline....

Carmine
07-22-2004, 09:01 AM
the posada/johnson deal wont happen. cashman wont trade a 29 year old switch-hitting allstar, who is also a team leader for RJ. I assume that the yanks countered, they have the goods to make this happen withought including Jorge.

TLR
07-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
The one thing that the Bucs don't need is pitching...

They've got 4 or 5 very good prospects at the AA and AAA level that are just about ready to be moved up....

When Benson gets traded, they'll just moved Vogelsong back as a starter from the 'pen, where I guess he was just trying to understand Jose Mesa talk all game long....

There's no doubt in terms of the Phils that if they trade with them they'll definitely get Ryan Howard, the question is what else....

That's who I hope they deal with.... A power hitting left-handed slugger, with 36 homers already in AA, hitting in the short porch in PNC Park ?? Yeah, I can see that definitely....

But can't count out the Rangers, Twins, or Mets either, although the Rangers have said they're not dealing Laynce Nix, the Twins have said they're not dealing Michael Cuddyer, and the Mets have said they're not dealing David Wright....

So what are they expecting, another "Aramis Ramirez for a bag of peanuts" deal ??

I like how Littlefield is taking his time, getting max value....

Benson's next start is Monday, if he's still with the Bucs.... That'll be his last start until the deadline....

The Bucs wouldn't get either of the Phils top two ML arms anways...I don't THINK.

For the Bucs' sake, I hope Vogelsong wasn't listening TOO closely to Joe Table...I can't stand that guy. I keep having visions of him blowing game after game last season...makes me wanna puke or cry...or both.

Howard is the guy who probably will be dealt as he has next to no future in Philly. I heard Gammons say last night he had already been offered straight up for someone (pissing me off cuz I can't remember WHO...and it was turned down by the other team). It may have been an offer for Benson, but I can't, for the life of me, remember.

Here's hoping the Phils acquire Benson and he holds up...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2004, 06:07 PM
It was straight up for Benson, and yes, Littlefield turned it down, and I don't blame him...

Sure, Benson's been an average pitcher for the majority of his career, but for the last two months, has been one of the most dominant pitchers in the entire league....

No doubt that he's second only to Randy Johnson in most-wanted pitcher....

And, my preference may be shifting to Laynce Nix... Watched some highlights, that guy's got a bright future.... Kinda reminds me of a left-handed Jason Bay....

POJO_Risin
07-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Jesus Christ...the guy is fucking 42-48 lifetime...no offense VA...but that's just plain shitty...

He has a lifetime ERA of 4.2...

and his K to inning's ratio is putrid...

yeah...he has been good the past month...absolutely...but I doubt that equates to turning down one of the top offensive products in the game...

we'll see if it pays off...

they won't get a guy like Wright...no way...no how...

Now there is some thought that Benson is on the verge of Jason Schmidtness...and the numbers are eerily similar to Schmidts with the Pirates...

but...I wouldn't sell ANY of my future because his price is high due to Johnson being the only other above average free agent out there...

Of course...some moron will give the Pirates far to much for Benson...only to watch him look like the #3 starter that he is...

I think Nix is a distinct possibility...and the Rangers may still be interested in Kendall...although every time that happens...it turns into a fiasco...

POJO_Risin
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
The Pirates have a history of making John Hart looking like a moron...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Remember that the guy is two years removed from Tommy John surgery.....

For the most part, I've been just as much disappointed in him as anyone else, but he's been lights out since May, and at just the right time.....

Hopefully the Rangers will feel the need to sweeten the deal after Rodriguez broke his elbow last night....

That hurt just looking at the replay.....

POJO_Risin
07-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Yeah...they are getting a bit desperate...

and hmmmm...

was that a catcher the Pirates just brought up????

TLR
07-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Someone send someone...ANYONE...to Philly to help out the rotation, please. Ace Paul Abbott (he of the 2-9 record) is going tomorrow. Lord have mercy.

By the way, Jason Bay is real good.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Yeah...they are getting a bit desperate...

and hmmmm...

was that a catcher the Pirates just brought up????

Yeah, J.R. House, once thought of a prime prospect, but has been plagued by injuries.... Looks like he's finally healthy....

I don't see that as a precursor to a Kendall trade though, as I know that's what you're implying.... ;)

The Benson sweepstakes is expanding, the teams now include serious offers from the Mets, Twins, Phillies, Rangers, Giants, and Angels.... Although many say the Giants are only scouting the Bucs to try and deal for Mesa....

The Angels are offering a major-league ready lefty 1B, can't remember his name though....

I'd still like to see Nix, I think he and Bay in LF/CF would be a helluva combo....

POJO_Risin
07-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Well...in the Pirate's mind's eye...it IS a precursor to Kendall getting dealt...it just won't happen...because it's the most moronic contract ever...

From what I gathered from all I've read this morning...Anaheim never made that offer...just a player that Pittsburgh would accept in a deal with Pittsburgh...of course...who knows...

The two names that seem to be popping up the most with the Angels are Dallas McPherson, a tough 3B and their 2003 minor league player of the year (if they turned him down...their (buccos) whole upper management should be canned), and Casey Kotchman...already had a taste of the majors this year...probably the guy you heard about Va...not as high a ceiling as McPherson...but certainly a guy they like a lot...the Angels that is...

From what I've gathered today...

the Mets and the Twins are 1-2...with the Mets offering exactly what the Pirates asked them for...and the Pirates balking...

and the Twins close to offering what the Pirates want (really they want Morneau...but now way the Twins give him up)...

I see the Pirates doing some interesting things here...and I'm not sure it's working...

what may happen in the end is that Ramon Ortiz goes to the team that the Pirates are expecting Benson to go...and they have to settle...

Alls I know...is they are passing up on a ton of good young talent...

POJO_Risin
07-24-2004, 05:41 PM
I think the Angels are using Benson to wake up the Diamondbacks...

but it would be interesting to see if they can wrest away Benson...and use Ortiz to ultimately get RJ...

POJO_Risin
07-24-2004, 05:42 PM
It appears as though the Yankees are telling the Diamondbacks to rank their top 6 prospects...and they can have them all for RJ and some garbage...

the DBacks are telling them to get better prospects...

Now the Yanks may be getting into the Ramon Ortiz sweepstakes...to use him in the deal...

Why in the hell would anyone want him anyways...talk about a middling pitcher...

POJO_Risin
07-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Pittsburgh is angling to get MacPherson in that above deal...

who the Angels have said is untouchable...

The Angels would look at Kotchman and others...and Littlefield replied with this...

Pirates GM Dave Littlefield told Pittsburgh reporters the players he is seeking were, "probably more oriented toward third (base), first or an outfielder."

Kotchman has a decent stick (only batted .218 in 100 AB earlier this year...but only struck out 8 times...has good command...and is a great defender...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
with the Mets offering exactly what the Pirates asked them for...and the Pirates balking...

For some reason I don't like Wiggington, he looks like your basic ham-n-egger....

And I have a feeling Littlefield feels the same way....

POJO_Risin
07-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Littlefield is the guy who told the Mets Winnington...and some AA pitcher this week...

the Mets said Yes...and he balked...obviously...Littlefield needs to keep his damn piehole shut...before he pisses everyone off...lmfao...

Bob_R
07-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Randy Johnson may have pitched his last game for the Diamonbacks last night.

He struck out 14 to raise his season total to 174 and lowered his ERA to 2.68.

Bob_R
07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Big Unit Sets Deadline

NEW YORK -- Will today be the last time Randy Johnson puts on a Diamondbacks uniform? Of all the scenarios hatched during the Johnson vigil, there's a new, wild one adrift: The Big Unit has asked Arizona to move up the trade deadline by three days -- to today -- so he can properly prepare for his next start Friday, wherever it might be.

D-Backs general manager Joe Garagiola is trying to accommodate Johnson, choosing between three possible endings to baseball's most compelling soap opera. The first would be to deal Johnson to the Yankees. The second would be to force Johnson to back down and accept a deal to Angels. The third would be letting the deadline pass and waiting until the offseason, when more teams would presumably be interested and capable of acquiring Johnson.

For now, the Yankees are still the front-runners, their need for the left-hander bordering on desperation after Orlando Hernandez left Tuesday's game against Toronto with a strained left hamstring. With Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown both already injured, the Yankees' urgency has compelled them to unveil their most trusty weapon -- money.

According to Newsday, the Yankees would be willing to assume the contracts of little-used Roberto Alomar and the injured Matt Mantei, totaling nearly $8 million, and then eventually release them both. That's on top of the $22 million Johnson is owed through 2005, which the Yankees could absorb without blinking.

In addition, the Bombers are said to be choreographing a three-way deal, either with the Padres or Marlins, as a way of collecting more prospects.

Whether all of this can be completed before the passing of the artificial deadline is, while not impossible, highly unlikely. The Diamondbacks are under no pressure to make any deal -- today, or by Saturday's official cutoff date. In fact, one baseball executive whose team has been on the sidelines during the pursuit of the Big Unit believes Arizona may let the deadline pass altogether and renew talks during the winter.

That scenario would be more likely if Johnson were to reject a deal to the Angels. For now, he's "totally fixated" on the Yankees, according to one person familiar with his thinking. And through his agent, Barry Meister, the Big Unit has hinted of making life uncomfortable for all parties involved if he's still in the D-Backs clubhouse after 4 p.m. on Saturday, when the deadline expires.

But Arizona is just as committed to this high-stakes game of chicken. The D-Backs believe they -- not Johnson -- have greater leverage. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the friction between Meister and Garagiola turned ugly on Monday, when a conversation between the two went like this:

"If you don't trade him to the Yankees, you're going to have one unhappy player," Meister said.

"And how would I tell the difference?" Garagiola responded.

That's why the Angels, who have more prospects to offer than the Yankees, still have Garagiola's ear. At the 11th hour, the D-Backs could come to Johnson with a take-it-or-leave ultimatum: accept the deal with Anaheim that benefits everyone, or else there's no deal.

The person who has spoken with Johnson recently believed that, backed into such a corner, the pitcher would accept a trade to the Angels. His desire to escape last-place in the NL West is greater than his fantasy of pitching in Yankee pinstripes.

Either way, time is running out. Arizona owner Jerry Colangelo returned Monday night from a vacation in Italy and planned to speak to the franchise's limited partners, hoping to gain a consensus on Johnson's future. From a financial standpoint, the Yankees' offer must surely be tempting, considering the D-Backs lost $60 million last year and are bleeding again in 2004. In one year they've dropped from eighth to 15th in major league attendance, with the free-fall likely to accelerate as the losing continues.

Even Johnson's star power has failed to stir the fans. In what could've been his final start for the Diamondbacks on Sunday, when he struck out 14 Rockies in eight innings, fewer than 30,000 were in the stands. Such top-to-bottom lethargy is the reason Johnson has been looking for the door, and towards the Yankees in particular.

For now, the Yankees are still waiting for a phone call from the D-Backs. None has been placed. On Tuesday, the Bombers' attention was diverted to the ailing Jason Giambi, who's awaiting the results of tests that could determine whether he'll be out for the rest of the season.

If so, the Yankees would be saddled with the extra chore of finding a backup to Tony Clark, currently their only other bona fide first baseman. Even as Giambi's mystery illness continues to haunt the Yankees, however, they remained focused on Johnson. With the deadline only days -- and possibly just hours -- away, everyone involved can at least agree on this much.

A verdict is almost here.