PDA

View Full Version : Hot roddin' pickups

YankeeRose
01-18-2004, 12:26 AM
The Ol Man and I have a great friend, Bubba, who is an apprentice guitarist. He wanted me to ask y'alls advice on how best to hot rod his pickups to sound more like Eddie-Boys. He has a Les Paul copy with a toggle and copy-of-a-humbecker pickups. Can rewiring alter the sound? If so, how?

Eyes of the Night
01-18-2004, 01:18 AM
I use 1 humbucker called a "dimarzio PAF pro" ... it's a great vintage pickup that almost everybody that I know has ...

Yes you can rewire ... gutting pickups is an advantage if you know what you want out of all the pickups that are out there today ...

I have never gutted Pauls though ... ask unca Elvy he knows all about pauls ...

Sarge
01-18-2004, 01:26 AM
I thought you were talking about pickup trucks...

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 02:28 AM
I was wondering what you were doing in this thread...:)

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 02:52 AM
I'm not a fan of super hot pickups and neither was Edward.. Hot pickups are very muddy to me...

In the old days he used a Gibson PAF which has plenty of output and are very clear...

There are tons of great pickups at great prices these days...

Cato
01-18-2004, 05:40 AM
I recommend Seymour Duncan 59. it's useful and cheap.

YankeeRose
01-18-2004, 09:25 PM
he can't afford to replace what he has...that's why he wants to hot rod 'em.

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Pickups on ebay are $10...

He will destroy them trying to hotrod them...

BrownSound1
01-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Unless you are skilled at rewinding pickups then he needs to forget it. The magnetic wire used in pickup bobbins is about the size of a hair, and breaks very easily. Not only that, you have to count the turns and there is a certain pattern to the winding that needs to be done as well.

Other than maybe disabling the tone controls so he gets the full on tone all the time, I can't think of much he can really do to it to hot-rod it.

BrownSound1
01-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Just an add on to what I posted earlier.....He could take them out and pot them in wax to get rid of microphonic squeel. Buy some parafin (sp?) wax and melt it in an old coffee can. Take the covers off of the pickups and lower the pickups off into the melted wax and let them soak it up. Be VERY careful not to melt the pickup bobbins. This will keep the guitar from squeeling at high volumes.

pardo
01-21-2004, 08:46 AM
I agree with Brownsound - he'll just ruin his pickup if he tries to mod it. Buyin another is his best bet.

If he's goin for Edwards early sound, he doesn't need any high output garbage like those EMG '81 jobs. Any PAF type modells like Eyes says are good. Also, Duncan EVH (Evenly Voiced Humbucker) will do the trick. Edwards sound was always fairly middy, so havin a humbucker with a flat response is a good start. Edward = mids.

YankeeRose
01-21-2004, 10:17 AM
okay..I'll pass it on guys...thanx.

BTW..this guy is 16, and still in school, so cash on hand is at a premium for him.

Preesch!!

ELVIS
01-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Ebay!

Roy Munson
02-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Public Service Announcement:

I have recently purchased a custom EVH hybrid from a cat on the Seymour Duncan forum. It is hideous. Avoid at all costs.

BrownSound1
02-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Tell him to get a paper route and save up about 100 bucks. He can just about get his pick of pickups for that on the net. Like Pardo said, no high output pickups for Ed's sound.