PDA

View Full Version : Does your copy of Van Halen BOV 1 have the fucked up mix of RWTD??

FORD
07-23-2004, 01:46 PM
....carried over from a thread in main regarding defects on the new "Best of Cheese World" album

Originally posted by General Hina
I heard about this RWTD thing.
What exactly is different with the BOV1 version?

Thanks,
General Hina

For some unexplained reason, they chopped the entire second verse out of the song, and then pasted it back on the end. So it goes first verse - chorus - solo - third verse - chorus - second verse.

Now the lyrics to the second and third verses are the same of course, but Dave sings them differently. So a true fan would notice the switch right away. Not to mention the solo being out of place. But the even more obvious edit is where Alex kicks in the drums on the final chorus - which is now cut off in the middle where the second verse is pasted in - then resumed after the second chorus morphs back into the last half of the final chorus.

Pretty fucking retarded, huh?

Snow Ho
07-23-2004, 01:59 PM
my cassette copy does, i remember thinking what the hell? my cd doesn't

Bob_R
07-23-2004, 02:06 PM
First pressing here.

Cathedral
07-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Yep, I got the first pressing and it pissed me off.

But i had to go with the Ford conspiracy option for continuity, lol.

Dave's PA Rental
07-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Yup, got the first pressing...

AJW
07-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Yup. Mine has it. I consider it a collectors item (NOT). :D

Warham
07-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Got it the first day it came out. Definately has the goof.

Matt White
07-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Got it the day it came out. Heard the goof and thought "DAMN YOU EDDIE!"

wooda
07-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Listen up kids, there was no conspiracy at play!!!

Whenever anybody records an album, there are sometimes 5, 10, or even more mixes done of each track, which includes different arrangements also.

When Warner pulled the master reels to put together BOV1, they simply used the wrong mix or version of RWTD. Nobody did any cutting and/or pasting.

It was nothing more than a case of not properly checking the quality of the product. If they really wanted to boost sales, they could have marketing the disc as such "ALL NEW MIX OF RWTD"

If someone could get access to the master tapes or the acetates, you would find many more GEM's to be had.

Beauvoir
07-25-2004, 12:11 AM
I've always wondered what was up with this different version of "RWTD" .
As soon as I heard it, I knew something was wrong!

Very strange...

Panamark
07-26-2004, 04:27 AM
I voted yes I have it, and it cracks me up..
But actually its pisses me off, as Im so used to hearing it
in the original format..

diamondD
07-26-2004, 05:24 AM
I got it and I skip it usually. Throws me off too much.

If I didn't I probably would have opted for option 4! ;)

Terry
07-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Got it. Kinda dig it myself. Song still rocks, even jumbled up and all.

FORD
07-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by wooda
Listen up kids, there was no conspiracy at play!!!

Whenever anybody records an album, there are sometimes 5, 10, or even more mixes done of each track, which includes different arrangements also.

When Warner pulled the master reels to put together BOV1, they simply used the wrong mix or version of RWTD. Nobody did any cutting and/or pasting.

It was nothing more than a case of not properly checking the quality of the product. If they really wanted to boost sales, they could have marketing the disc as such "ALL NEW MIX OF RWTD"

If someone could get access to the master tapes or the acetates, you would find many more GEM's to be had.

That may be so in a lot of cases, but this isn't one of them. You can clearly hear the edits. Especially with the drum part, as I said before.

Besides, the Van HALEN album was essentially a live recording in the studio, with a few minimal overdubs (i.e. a second guitar part on Jamie's Cryin). This was the case with VHII and WACF as well. So not a lot of opportunities for different mixes on those albums.

wooda
07-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
That may be so in a lot of cases, but this isn't one of them. You can clearly hear the edits. Especially with the drum part, as I said before.

Besides, the Van HALEN album was essentially a live recording in the studio, with a few minimal overdubs (i.e. a second guitar part on Jamie's Cryin). This was the case with VHII and WACF as well. So not a lot of opportunities for different mixes on those albums.

Live or no live, editing and splicing was and is a common practice. Yes some people still record to tape. The dit is a tape splice

DeadOrAlive
08-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Mine's safe!

Panamark
08-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Fuck it, I got remastered VH1 so Im good !

DeadOrAlive
08-17-2004, 09:23 PM
The Remastered CD's sound so much better...