PDA

View Full Version : KITT on ebay

Ally_Kat
07-24-2004, 02:22 AM
437. K.I.T.T. (Knight Industry Two Thousand) car from Knight Rider. (Universal TV, 1982-85) This highly-modified 1983 Pontiac Trans Am is an original screen-used hero car used during the second season of the hit TV series. Instantly recognizable with its working scanner in the front and highly futuristic interior, this vehicle was arguably the star of the show! Accompanied with the original ownership certificate listing MCA Universal Studios Inc. as the registered owner. For insurance and liability reasons the vehicle's identification number was removed by Universal (common practice for their film and TV cars) and it was subsequently assigned the in-house inventory control number of "1177" (numbers can be found on the driver-side door and under the hood).

Among the studio modifications done to this car by the Special Effects and Stunt Coordinator:

A brake differential lock was used and tied into the master cylinder and actuated by a foot switch on the floor. By hitting the switch, stunt drivers such as Jack Gill could disable the front brakes, leaving only the rear brakes operational making those famous "bootleg turns" possible.
The original 305 c.i. Crossfire V-8 engine was removed (along with emission control equipment) and replaced with a high power Chevy 350 c.i. plant. Major fabrication is evident in the engine bay to make room for extra batteries, special effects items and accessories.
The factory gas tank was replaced by a two-gallon racing fuel cell in order to minimize the amount of fuel on-board during stunt driving, jumps and high speed passes.
A heavy-gauge steel skid plate was welded onto the lower frame to the protect the undercarriage, transmission and lower engine from road impact during jumps.
A special cable with "T" handle was installed in the panel beside the rear passenger seat; when pulled, KITT's trunk would seemingly open by itself.
After being released from its film duties, KITT found its way into the show circuit by promoting many Budweiser World of Wheels car shows for a number of years. After its tour of duty, the car was in need of restoration and in 2001 the owner approached Mark Scrivani of Mark's Custom Kits to restore the vehicle. The original, futuristic dash built by universal would only illuminate and was not intended to be functional; the owner commissioned Scrivani to make the dash fully functional, thus, the various non-functioning consoles were removed, cleaned up and made functional with pushable buttons, sound and visual effects. The dash received fully operational gauges and instruments, as well as an in-car camera tied into one of the two dash-mounted LCD monitors. The other monitor is wired into a trunk-mounted VCR for running and viewing tapes for future car show use. The original scanner mounted in the front of the vehicle was restored and functions properly. The scanner sound effect is also added to external speakers so it can be heard while the scanner is running. Besides the original Universal registration, the car comes with the original stamped steel "KNIGHT" license plate, the original Universal Studios key ring with "1177 Trans Am" inscription (return postage guaranteed!), and a photocopy of a production sheet from the Knight Rider episode entitled "Many Happy Returns", dated 9/3/85 which features "TA´S-1177", identifying this car as used during the production. Also accompanied by a signed letter of authenticity/provenance by Mark Scrivani who performed the restoration on the vehicle.

$40,000 - $60,000

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2256298346&category=28193#

Ally_Kat
07-24-2004, 02:24 AM
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted the Kitt car. I've been asking around with my car-lovin' friends if there was somewhere smoeone could get the lil scanning thingie for the front and no luck. :(

I would so drive this

Panamark
07-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Seems like a good price for such a piece of memoribilia !

Coyote
07-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Hey, Kitten, that's not the only way to get a "kitt".

http://www.knightreplicas.com/kitt_and_karr.html

Warham
07-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I always wondered how he made those bootleg turns when he had that kind of steering wheel.

FORD
07-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat

I would so drive this

But not very far, with only a 2 gallon gas tank ;)

classicdude
07-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Man, I remember we used to knock our friends back in the day. If someone didn't show up down at the local watering hole, it was "Dude must be home watching Knight Rider."

Coyote
07-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by classicdude
Man, I remember we used to knock our friends back in the day. If someone didn't show up down at the local watering hole, it was "Dude must be home watching Knight Rider."

LOL... that's a classic!