PDA

View Full Version : The Kris Benson Traded to the Mets

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:23 PM
This is interesting to me...

Littlefield has turned down some deals...and been turned down asking for #1 players in some deals...

and he's done a nice job of working up a ton of teams into a lather...

I'm actually impressed at how Benson really started being a guy going to NY,NY or Boston...

and now is actually being looked at by teams with real prospects...

only problem is that Littlefield appears to be setting his sights a bit to high...

if he comes down just a bit...he can get a big deal...for some more than serviceable deals...

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Here's a summary of where we are at right now...

Center fielder Laynce Nix or outfielder/first baseman Kevin Mench of the Rangers; second baseman Chase Utley or Class AA first baseman Ryan Howard of the Phillies; third baseman David Wright, who is considered untouchable, and Ty Wiggington, who is not considered an upgrade over Rob Mackowiak, of the Mets; and first baseman Michael Cuddyer of the Twins.

Much will depend on outside variables, such as if Randy Johnson gets traded to the New York Yankees or Angels. That probably would create a domino effect. The Rangers are believed to be waiting to see what their rivals do before they act. The team that gets Benson will have him for, say, 12 starts this year and must decide if it wants to offer him a new contract because he is a free agent at the end of the season.

There's a bit of a gamble in having Benson pitch tomorrow. One ill-placed line drive could be the end of a trade. But it's safe to say the Pirates will be getting more for Benson, whose nine consecutive quality starts couldn't have come at a better time, than they would if they had traded him like they had hoped last season.

Benson already has tidied up his locker to get rid of nonessentials, and he moved his family home to Atlanta two months ago in anticipation of a deal. He isn't attaching any special emphasis to the start tomorrow, mainly because he figured he'd be dealt by now.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Here's a more detailed look...

some interesting stuff in here...

More than a half-dozen teams have reportedly inquired about Benson in recent weeks. However, Anaheim now appears to have the best chance of making a deal, moving in front of the New York Mets and Minnesota.

Anaheim is offering Class AAA Salt Lake first baseman Casey Kotchman in a trade, according to multiple baseball sources. Despite being plagued by injuries throughout his professional career, Kotchman is considered one of the best pure hitter in the minor leagues.

Kotchman, a 21-year-old left-handed hitter, was Anaheim's first-round draft pick in 2001 from Seminole (Fla.) High School in the Tampa Bay area. He has had a string of back, hamstring and wrist problems throughout his career, though.

Kotchman made his major-league debut with the Angels this season and hit .218 with 14 RBIs in 28 games from May 10-June 14. He began the season at Class AA Arkansas, hitting .368 with three homers and 18 RBIs in 28 games, and is currently batting .293 with two homers and 16 RBIs in 19 games with Class AAA Salt Lake.

Baseball America rated Kotchman as the Angels' top prospect coming into this season.

The Pirates are thought to have wanted Salt Lake third baseman Dallas McPherson in a trade. However, the Angels balked at giving him up.

Players can be traded without having to clear waivers until 4 p.m. this upcoming Saturday. Benson is eligible for free agency at the end of the season and the Pirates have made no move to sign him to a contract extension.

The Mets continue to have interest in Benson, though they refuse to part with rookie third baseman David Wright.

The Mets have offered second-year third baseman Ty Wigginton and Class AA Binghamton right-hander Matt Peterson. However, the Pirates reportedly are not exceptional high on Wigginton's long-term potential.

The Pirates have tried to pry rookie first baseman Justin Morneau from Minnesota, but the Twins won't give him up. Minnesota reportedly countered with an offer of Class AAA Rochester outfielder Michael Restovich and the Pirates' choice of one of a stable of young hard throwers the Twins have stockpiled at the Class A level.

Pirates scout Pete Vuckovich is in Baltimore this weekend watching the Twins play the Orioles. Vuckovich reportedly has his eye on Gold Glove first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who came off the disabled list Friday after missing 15 days with a sore wrist.

Mientkiewicz has a $2.8-million salary this season and is due to make $3.75 million next season in the final year of a two-year contract that includes a club option for 2006. The Pirates would be able to take on that salary since they would be shedding Benson, who makes $6.1 million this season in the final year of a four-year, $13.8-million contract.

Philadelphia reportedly tried to entice the Pirates by offering slugging Class AA Reading first baseman Ryan Howard, but that deal was turned down. The Pirates are said to want Phillies infielder Chase Utley, but Philadelphia plans to start him at second base as Placido Polanco is eligible for free agency at the end of the season.

The Pirates also seem to have only lukewarm interest in Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre center fielder Marlon Byrd, who began the season as the Phillies' leadoff hitter.

Texas has stepped up its effort to find another starting pitcher after right-hander Ricardo Rodriguez suffered a broken elbow earlier this week when struck by a line drive. However, the Rangers would prefer to trade for a young pitcher, rather than someone who is eligible for free agency this year.

The Rangers will not give up rookie center fielder Laynce Nix or Class AAA Oklahoma first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, but could make an offer of outfielder Kevin Mench and Oklahoma right-hander Juan Dominguez.

San Francisco has been mentioned prominently as a potential Benson suitor in recent weeks. However, the Giants appear to have very little interest in Benson and, instead, are targeting Pirates closer Jose Mesa in trade talks.

Mesa said Friday he does not want to play for the Giants, a team he pitched for in 1998. Mesa, though, does not have the power to veto a trade.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah, it looks like Benson will actually pitch Monday night, barring any trade before then....

I don't think a bad outing will hurt any deal that much, he's had like 9 straight very good starts....

That Angels' 1B would be a good deal also...

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Yeah...I was reading in the LA Times today though that they aren't hot on that deal...

and Kotchman just went down again...with some strain...just missed 19 games...and may go on the DL again...

forget where I read that...but it was after i posted all of that stuff...

I don't see Pittsburgh going after someone who may have injury issues...but he would be a good get...

I still think they are going to go at Minnesota...

as good as Nix is...again..injury issues...

WARF
07-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Benson is a bust!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Overall, I can't disagree WARF....

Word is now that a deal is imminent with the Twins, for Doug Mientkiewicz and a prospect....

I'll hold judgement until it's official, and if the Twins, who this prospect is....

POJO_Risin
07-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Jesus...Mientkiewicz?...

it better be a damn good prospect...

ALinChainz
07-30-2004, 05:28 PM
That would be giving him away.

POJO_Risin
07-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah...I think they held out for to much...they'll be lucky if the Mets still offer up anything worthwhile for Benson...

POJO_Risin
07-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Unless there's something out there everyone's missing...

POJO_Risin
07-30-2004, 06:02 PM
The Mets are the winners of the Kris Benson sweepstakes, acquiring the righthander along with two minor leaguers for third baseman Ty Wigginton and Class AA lefthander Matt Peterson.

The Twins also wanted Benson, but the talks broke down when Minnesota would not part with Class AAA outfielder Jason Kubel. The Braves also made a last-minute bid and apparently were willing to part with one of their top pitching prospects, believed to be Class AA righthander Jose Capellan.
Benson, a free agent at the end of the season, is 8-8 with a 4.22 ERA this season. The Mets likely will attempt to sign him to a contract extension.

Seems like the Buccos were offered more than what they are getting...of course...you never know what was REALLY offered...

Just don't see Wigginton as being long term...

Snoo
07-30-2004, 07:21 PM
The Bucs get Jose Bautista back, too.

POJO_Risin
07-30-2004, 07:33 PM
For who?

Snoo
07-30-2004, 07:39 PM
He was a throw-in. The Mets got him for a catcher earlier in the day. The Pirates gave up send baseman Jeff Keppinger, playing in Altoona.

POJO_Risin
07-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I hadn't seen any names involved...just the big ones...

Snoo
07-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Wigginton, Bautista and pitcher Matt Peterson for Benson and Keppinger. NO MORE CHRIS STYNES! YA-HOOOOO!

POJO_Risin
07-31-2004, 04:09 PM
How come the Pirates didn't go after Kazmir...accepting Peterson?

did they get took?

Va Beach VH Fan
07-31-2004, 04:14 PM
At first, I was really, REALLY steamed at this one....

The Bucs' message boards were calling for the lynching of Littlefield...

AGAIN, that is....

I just don't see Wigginton as much of an improvement over Mack at 3B, although I'd admit Ty is a more natural 3B than Rob...

But, I think Ty is only 25 or 26, and is only in his 2nd full year in the pros, so let's hope he panns out....

And I think in retrospect that getting these blue chip prospects were wishful thinking for the most part...

Matt Peterson is a stud, 95MPH fastball, 12-to-6 curveball, and a wicked changeup..... He'll join AA Altoona with the other good prospects...

Quite a bevy of pitchers we got down there now...

POJO_Risin
07-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah...of course...just when they started playing good...they'll be able to deal them for more stud prospects...that they can deal later...

hey...I'm not ripping on you...I'm sure I'll be there as well with my Indians...although I think they've maybe turned the corner...3 games over 500...;)...and their own stable of stud young pitchers...

they just have to watch out for Tadano...

Snoo
07-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Haha...five innings pitched, 7 hits, 7 earned, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts. Tomorrow's Post headline: "Benson Bashed Badly By Braves"

Va Beach VH Fan
07-31-2004, 10:33 PM
I had a feeling that was going to happen...

That was the 3rd time he'd pitched against the Braves in a week and a half....

Talk about fodder....

POJO_Risin
08-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Well...he'll get crucified of course...get his head rattled...and disappear to the land of Eddie Whitson...;)

POJO_Risin
08-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Seriously though...if he can get his head on...I think Benson is on the verge of being one of the good ones...

he better be...for all the prospects that the Mets gave up to get him and Zambrano...

WARF
08-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Benson got his fucking head handed to him!

The mets wouldn't even pull him last night.... sorta like when the CAPTAIN went down with the titanic!!

POJO_Risin
08-01-2004, 04:09 PM
You gotta love Howe...

leave the new guy in to get booed and hammered in NY...

do wonders for your psyche...

outstanding...

how does howe still have a job?

Snoo
08-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Who else would take it? Buck Showalter again?

POJO_Risin
08-01-2004, 04:17 PM
I hear Bobby Valentine is available...although he's getting paid good money in Japan...lmfao...

I think Showalter has a decent amount of power in Texas...don't think he would go there...

Maybe Pinella? Although I know he's happy in his hometown...

I'm sure they'd find a gun to manage there...

WARF
08-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Wallace For Iverson... wait the season is over...

POJO_Risin
08-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Damn if I shouldn't have done that deal?

Hey...let's do a keeper...and do that deal anyways...

Snake
08-03-2004, 06:41 PM
his slutty wife

www.annabenson.net