PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it Ironic...

Rocky
07-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Interview from 1979

EVH: So then I found out about Charvel, but I'm suing them right now because it's actually my guitar design that's keeping them in business. See, Wayne Charvel sold it to another guy, and Wayne was a real cool dude. When he owned it, I was considering endorsing it. And then this other dude took over, and he's just sold so many of them for like a grand apiece.

GP: Are these Eddie Van Halen model guitars?

EVH: Yeah!

GP: No kidding.

EVH: No kidding! It looks like a Strat, but it only has one pickup in it, one volume knob, no tone, no fancy garbage. It's painted the way I like 'em, and it's rear-loaded - you know, it doesn't have a pickguard. I'm not saying my guitar is "Wow, the new guitar," but it is a guitar that you could not at the time buy on the market. This guy kind of exploited my idea, so I'm suing him. See, I feel kind of fucked doing that, but all I want him to do is stop. I don't give a damn about the money. But the main reason I did that was to have something that no one else had. You know, I wanted it to be my guitar, an extension of myself. Just the other night - Christmans Eve - I went to the Whiskey. A band called Weasels was playing, and the lead guitarist had a guitar exactly like mine. I just don't understand how someone could walk onstage with my guitar, because it's my trademark. You know, when people see a freaked-out striped guitar like that, with one pickup, one volume knob, they obviously know it's mine.

GP: There goes your identity.

EVH: Yeah. And also, him selling it and advertising, makes it seem to the fans like I'm selling myself. They don't know that I'm against it. They think that I'm out for the bucks. That's not it at all. So it's kind of a drag.

GP: Describe your ideal guitar.

EVH: Pretty much what I have. That's the main thing that pisses me off about Charvel, because I spent $150 building my own guitar.

GP: The first one?

EVH: No, all of 'em! Well, maybe a little more because of the bicycle paint. But it's $150 to buy the parts, except for the pickups.

Fast Forward to 2004:

www.evh-guitars.com

How times change.....

BrownSound1
07-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah, and so does his idea about cost. LOL

Big Troubles
07-29-2004, 05:27 PM
"its like rain on your wedding day. Ten thousands spoons when all you need is a knife"....possibly to stab Ed with.

Vanstonica
07-29-2004, 05:41 PM
How much do one of those puppies go for now? I remember when he was marketing the "D tuna" thing during the Balance tour, the guitars where several grand apiece.

Hecubus
07-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Inflation.

Supply & Demand.

Call it what you want.

Cathedral
07-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Yeah, and so does his idea about cost. LOL

No doubt, even in '79 I couldn't have built a guitar that cheaply. Of course it helped that the Floyd was given to him in its Proto-type stage.

The Gibson PAF was garbage and needed rewound from what i understand. In other words, his guitar was basically junk, lol.

DLRdelight!
08-02-2004, 05:29 PM
How Ed has betrayed himself. If the young Ed would run into himself today, Im pretty sure hed beat the crap out of him

Cathedral
08-04-2004, 01:15 AM
I wonder if older Ed would be wearing a cup?

GAR
08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
It all boils down to Can A Motherfucker PLAAAY, mmmkay babe?

Panamark
08-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Ed then went on to sue every fucker that had anything that remotely resembled his guitar's striped paint design...