X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Bible

I know a few of you study such things but has anyone here actually looked into the history of the bible.

I.e. where it came from, who chose which gospels to include, and what stuff was left out.

I've been doing some reading on it over the last couple of years and it's fascinating stuff.

The bible as we know it was put together in Constantines time with his blessing. I always thought that he was the first Christian emperor which is sort of true but what I didn't realise was he only turned to Christianity on his deathbed, the old 'just in case' approach.

Kind of like Darwin repudiating his work on his death bed.

What's more interesting is the fact that there were some 80 gospels originally and then they were brought down to the ones there are today during Constantines reign.

The discovery of the Red Sea Scrolls included some of the stuff that hadn't made it to the final draft of the New Testament. In those it seems to strongly show that Jesus was married and may have had a kid. Not good news for Constantine since if Jesus had heirs then all kings were in a bit of trouble...

I'm not an expert in this but I think that it's worth a look...

Cheers!

• Don Corleone
    Veteran
    • May 2004

I've studied a fair amount of material on this, and I'll agree with you that it is very interesting. The Bible we know was actually written in Greek originally, then translated into Latin, before finally being translatted into English.

The point you make about the Red Sea Scrolls is also an interesting one. It is rumoured that there was a chapter of the Gospel of Mattew that was destroyed very early on that may have included this bit of info. Also the Jesus having kids thing spills over into the Holy Grail story.

In the origianl text the holy grail appears as 1 word, and can be translated to mean either 2 things

1. Holy Cup (or grail from the Anglo Saxon word)
    2. Blood Royal

In grail theory the speculation is that Mary Magdalin was the "cup" and that the "Blood Royal" was a child. Unfortuantely after the crusifiction she took refuge in Gaul (France), so a blood decendant will most probably be French.
    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Don Corleone
      I've studied a fair amount of material on this, and I'll agree with you that it is very interesting. The Bible we know was actually written in Greek originally, then translated into Latin, before finally being translatted into English.

The point you make about the Red Sea Scrolls is also an interesting one. It is rumoured that there was a chapter of the Gospel of Mattew that was destroyed very early on that may have included this bit of info. Also the Jesus having kids thing spills over into the Holy Grail story.

In the origianl text the holy grail appears as 1 word, and can be translated to mean either 2 things

1. Holy Cup (or grail from the Anglo Saxon word)
      2. Blood Royal

In grail theory the speculation is that Mary Magdalin was the "cup" and that the "Blood Royal" was a child. Unfortuantely after the crusifiction she took refuge in Gaul (France), so a blood decendant will most probably be French.
      Now wouldn't that just fuck up the Neocon shitbags' day - the possibility that descendants of Jesus Christ would be FRENCH.

I suppose they would say that explains why He didn't overthrow the Roman rule of Israel
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mezro
        Full Member Status

• May 2004

The bible: a book of fairy tales and legends that makes the Brothers Grimm look weak.

Mezro...I'm always shocked when people buy the cart of shit that the bible (and religion) sells...
        Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Why shocked? More people believe in God than don't.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm sure JC will clear this all up in the morning. Of course, He doesn't post on the Sabbath
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mezro
              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              Why shocked? More people believe in God than don't.
              Because I don't understand how intelligent people really believe in God.

If you are a man of faith Warham explain it to me. Look at the state of the world today. Do you really think an all powerful, loving God would allow the world to be filled with war, terrorism, disease etc etc etc.

Mezro...to me, it is like believing in Santa Claus as an adult...I better be good so God doesn't put coal in my stocking...please...

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Given the fact that Mary Magdeline spent so much time with Jesus alone, and the rest of the desciples were jealous of her to the point that they excluded her as the 13th of the group proved to me that there was much much more to the story than anyone knew.

If anything, she was the holder of more knowledge from Jesus from their private walks than any of the other 12. When she spoke of Jesus teachings she was shunned, and the books telling her side of it all were excluded from history, some say destroyed.

The bible we know of today is the product of manipulation from the start which pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to know how to live by the word of God. which means that in the end, the only people who will ever see heaven, are the one's who lived in that period and saw first hand what was actually going on.

My mother and her husband live by the bible and we get into conflicts about such things. They would have me believe what they believe without proving it, or documenting it as it were.
                This i did spend a few months doing but the inconsistencies became to many to disprove, leading me to abandon it all as untrue, or incomplete at the very least.
                The lack of the other books makes it completely impossible to prove everything the bible says.
                In my opinion the missing books would create more questions than they would answer and completely contradict the scripture as it is preached today.

I can explain further but i'd rather send you a book explaining my findings.
                This can be yours for FREE if you send me a Love Gift of $20.00 or more. This gift IS tax deductable and will enlighten you in many ways.
                I accept payment by personal check, money order, Visa and Master Card.
                Don't delay, YOU need this informative book..........
                Last edited by Cathedral; 08-01-2004, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mezro
                  Because I don't understand how intelligent people really believe in God.

Do you really think an all powerful, loving God would allow the world to be filled with war, terrorism, disease etc etc etc.

of course. the greatest gift a diety can give is free will. if whatever omnipotent entity is out there gets physically involved in our world, then we really don't have full free will.

free will means that some bad shit is going to happen from time to time. but it's better in the end.

and personally, i don't fully understand how intelligent people can believe that the entire vastness of the universe began from absolute nothing. it's certainly a leap of faith to assume a diety started it all.

but to me, it's a bigger leap of faith to say that NOTHING started it. a complete lack of any intelligence whatsoever just happened to lead to the creation of a highly orderly universe? i'm not buying...

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

I would say that the answer is most likely beyond the comprehension of any human being....

Comment

• Mezro
                      Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                      but to me, it's a bigger leap of faith to say that NOTHING started it. a complete lack of any intelligence whatsoever just happened to lead to the creation of a highly orderly universe? i'm not buying...
                      Something bigger than us had to have started it but I'm not ready to believe the organized religion version of a supreme being (God).

Mezro...what created us? I don't know...the questions is will they/it ever come back and determine that the human race is a failed experiment...

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

The bible we know of today is the product of manipulation from the start which pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to know how to live by the word of God. which means that in the end, the only people who will ever see heaven, are the one's who lived in that period and saw first hand what was actually going on.

There's this clause they pounded into us in elementary school that whatever the Church holds true, God holds true in Heaven. I never bought that.

But the whole no one but those alive at the time seeing Heaven thing, I don't think it's like that.

Seeing how most religions have the same basic morals but different ways to worship, I think the differing religions is just part of the free will deal. I highly doubt that when we die we'll meet St. Peter at the pearly white gates and he'll go to us, "Sorry. [insert religion here] was the correct answer. Bye."

Honestly, I think all that matters is that you don't go aroundas if you rule all and that there is some sort of acknowledgement of this higher power.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• pete
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

If a higher power required acknowledgement &/or praise: It would make it's prescence known.

I come from the same school of thought that mezro comes from.

The school of logic.

But I respect faith. I admire it. Wish I could share it.

The history of the bible is a fascinating subject.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by pete
                            If a higher power required acknowledgement &/or praise: It would make it's prescence known.
                            Maybe it does, but mankind has a habit of remembering all the bad and letting the odd good luck pass from memory.

When people where waiting for the Messiah to come, they were expecting chariots in the sky and this mighty king. What they got was a little baby boy born next to sheep and cows. Any presence that a higher power who was involved with that would make wouldn't be a full-blown one.

If the higher power made an apperance where it was unmistable that He/She/It existed, there would go that free will option
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• pete
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                              Maybe it does, but mankind has a habit of remembering all the bad and letting the odd good luck pass from memory.

When people where waiting for the Messiah to come, they were expecting chariots in the sky and this mighty king. What they got was a little baby boy born next to sheep and cows. Any presence that a higher power who was involved with that would make wouldn't be a full-blown one.

If the higher power made an apperance where it was unmistable that He/She/It existed, there would go that free will option
                              Assuming there is a GOD.

By assuming HE/SHE/whatever requires praise is projecting human arrogance on the diety.

I don't think if there is a God - that this God, who has lived for eternitiy, would have the issue of vanity.

I also thing, still assuming there is a God, that the lack of confirmed knowlege of Him/Her supports that theory.

you're right, we revel in our misery and take for granted our fortunes.

Comment

Working...