PDA

View Full Version : Florida GOP tells Republicans to vote by absentee

FORD
07-30-2004, 07:28 PM
And FORD gives it a big thumbs down. Coup2k4 in progress........

GOP Mailer Says: Avoid Touch Screen
Gov. Bush unhappy with fliers telling Republicans to choose voting by mail over machines.

By BRENT KALLESTAD
The Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE -- Gov. Jeb Bush has tried for months to persuade Florida voters that the computerized touch-screen voting machines are perfectly reliable, but his own political party apparently hasn't received the message.

The state Republican Party paid for a flier casting doubts about the new technology and sent it to some voters in South Florida. It features a smiling, thumbs-up picture of Bush's older brother, President George W. Bush.

"The new electronic voting machines do not have a paper ballot to verify your vote in case of a recount," the message read. "Make sure your vote counts. Order your absentee ballot today."

That's what Democrats and a coalition of civil rights groups have been saying in legal challenges, trying to force the state to provide a paper trail in case the touch-screen machines malfunction.

"It is insulting that the leadership's own party would believe that the system is broke," said Sharon Lettman Pacheco, spokeswoman for People for the American Way. "The citizens need to be reassured that this election is going to be about our vote and our vote counting and not any other shenanigans."

The machines are being used this year in 15 of the state's largest counties where about half of the Florida votes will be cast in this year's general election.

Gov. Bush, who was unaware of the mailing beforehand, wasn't happy.

"I think he was disappointed that there would be any message that's out there that criticizes these machines," Bush spokeswoman Jill Bratina said. "That's not the message we need to send."

No of course not. God forbid anybody would figure put you stole ANOTHER election, you sick fucking criminal bastard!!

His brother's campaign was also upset.

"We did not authorize the use of the president's image," said campaign spokesman Reed Dickens. "It was inappropriate. I speak for the president and it does not represent the views of the president."

Bratina said the touch screens are good technology and that the administration has total confidence in them.

Party Chairman Carole Jean Jordan was traveling and unavailable for comment, spokesman Joseph Agostini said.

State Rep. Juan Zapata was the intended beneficiary of the mailer. The party is supporting Zapata over Frank Artiles in next month's Republican primary.

Zapata said he was unaware of the language in the mailer.

"I have complete confidence in those machines. That's the least of my worries," he said Thursday. "My worry is that people aren't going to come out."

Meanwhile, in Boston, U.S. Rep. Peter Deutsch, a Democrat running for U.S. Senate, told Florida delegates that he's written Attorney General John Ashcroft seeking an investigation of the electronic voting machines "to guarantee Florida's votes."

link (http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040730/NEWS/407300350/1039)

FORD
07-31-2004, 04:52 PM
No comments, Busheep? :confused:

DLR'sCock
07-31-2004, 05:08 PM
Why is it so difficult to have the machines give a paper copy of the vote???

One for the Election Commision, and one for the voter????

hmmm?

Big Train
07-31-2004, 05:28 PM
What do you want us "Sheep" to say, great "Herder"? It is a new technology and if there are issues with it, they should be addressed. If it were on the liberal side of things, would I accept anything less? No.

That is my response as a citizen. Now will you start responding to some of our outstanding questions, or just continue to pull your bullshit routine, of either responding with a wild, unproven theory or just abject silence when you have no response?

BigBadBrian
08-01-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
Why is it so difficult to have the machines give a paper copy of the vote???

One for the Election Commision, and one for the voter????

hmmm?

It's illegal to give a voter a copy of their ballot, for starters. Does your punch ballot give you a personal copy of who you voted for? Think about it.

Sgt Schultz
08-01-2004, 08:25 AM
If I were a Republican voting in FLorida I'd probably do the same thing. Seeing as how the Democrats interpereted every indentation (for Gore) on a punch card as a vote for Gore and chads were seen all over the floor during the many "recounts" I would not trust voting officials in Democratic strongholds to not alter electronic votes either.

fanofdave
08-01-2004, 08:53 AM
paper vote or electronic,
we'll steal another election from you
whiny spineless democrats again this
fall. its so fun to watch you squirm
in agony because you don't have it
your way. makes my day!

ELVIS
08-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Seeing as how the Democrats interpereted every indentation (for Gore) on a punch card as a vote for Gore and chads were seen all over the floor.

..and Gore still lost every recount...

hahahaha!

JCOOK
08-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Idont' know Iloved watching those poor bastards going over those peper ballots --like crack whores looking for that last little piece-- trying to find anything that they could justify as one more for gore

FORD
08-01-2004, 12:59 PM
The point here is that I actually agree with the Florida repukes that the electro fraud machines are not reliable. The Florida 2002 "election" is a prime example, and Georgia's 2002 was legendary (Google Diebold and ROB Georgia)

But the FGOP should have done the responsible thing here and raised the issue in public. Instead, they sent out a secret mailing, to only their own people, and by using a graphic of Junior with his thumbs up, implied that the pResident approved of their attempt to manipulate yet another election. And this in a state where the elections system is so corrupt that UN observers should be stationed at every polling place, just like they are in every third world country ran by a CIA tinpot dictator.

JCOOK
08-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Enter Jimmy Carter YIKES!

wraytw
08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Think about it.

That would be a change from the norm for Cock.