PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Reagan Strongly Endorses President Bush

Sgt Schultz
08-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Exclusive: Nancy Reagan Strongly Endorses President Bush
Phil Brennan, NewsMax.com
Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2004

In a statement made Monday to NewsMax.com, Nancy Reagan said she was strongly endorsing President Bush's re-election and rejected a published Internet report that she was not backing his run for a second term.

Joanne Drake, the chief of staff for former President Ronald Reagan’s office in Los Angeles, said in a statement on behalf of the former first lady, “Mrs. Reagan supports President Bush’s re-election 150 percent.”

Published reports have suggested that Mrs. Reagan was unhappy with President Bush for his opposition to taxpayer-funded stem cell research that kills human embryos, which Mrs. Reagan has supported after her husband’s long bout with Alzheimer’s disease.

Mrs. Reagan’s son Ron spoke last week at the Democratic National Convention. He indicated that his mother supported his speech and that she was unhappy with the Bush administration for its stand on embryonic stem cell research.

Ron Reagan gave an implicit endorsement to the Kerry-Edwards ticket, which supports taxpayer funding of that type of research, when he told his national audience, “Whatever else you do come Nov. 2, I urge you, please, cast a vote for embryonic stem cell research.”

Drake, however, noted in her statement on behalf of Mrs. Reagan, “I think everyone would understand that while she may not agree with the president on every issue, this campaign is more than just one issue – it’s about leadership, and she believes that President Bush is the right man for the job.”

Mrs. Reagan’s statement came on the heels of a report published Friday on the Web site capitolhillblue.com.

That story, headlined "Nancy Reagan to Bush: 'We Don't Support Your Re-Election,'" quoted a “spokesman” for Mrs. Reagan as telling the site, "Mrs. Reagan does not support President Bush’s re-election and neither do most members of the President’s family."

Drake also denied the Web site’s claim that Mrs. Reagan told Republican leaders she wanted nothing to do with the party or President Bush, or that she "went ballistic" when she learned the Bush campaign was test marketing ads that used Reagan’s photos and speeches in an effort to show he supported Bush and his re-election.

Capitolhillblue.com also claimed that Mrs. Reagan called Republican Party chief Ed Gillespie to demand the ads be destroyed.

“The quote that appeared in Capitol Hill Blue is incorrect,” Drake said on behalf of Mrs. Reagan. “Further, I do not know where the information came from [indicating that] the former first lady went ballistic when she read the Bush campaign was test marketing new ads. She did not speak to Ed Gillespie on the telephone and demand the ads be destroyed ...”

By endorsing President Bush’s re-election, Mrs. Reagan joins President Reagan’ elder son, Michael, who has already announced his strong support for the president's re-election. Michael will be speaking at the GOP convention in New York.

Satan
08-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Newshax vs Capitol Hill Blue??

Neither is really considered a primary news source.

Sounds like this one remains an open question ;)

diamondD
08-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Only to a closed mind. ;)

Satan
08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm the Devil. Nobody has more of an open mind than me :)

JCOOK
08-03-2004, 12:25 AM
This old lady just lost her husband-- not just anybody RONALD REAGAN for gods' sake. they were in the public eye for along time HOW ABOUT LEAVING HER ALONE AND LET HER GRIEVE FOR HER HUSBAND, She has earned the right

tobinentinc
08-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Why would she vote democrat anyway?? It's just the stem cell issue that's she's against the president. After all, her husband was one of the greatest Republican president's ever.

FORD
08-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Nancy hates the BCE and has for quite a while now. And it's not just the stem cell issue.

John Ashcroft
08-03-2004, 08:44 AM
And yet she still "strongly" endorses President Bush...

FORD
08-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
And yet she still "strongly" endorses President Bush...

Maybe not. I still haven't seen any confirmation on that, and NewsHax ain't gonna cut it. The fact that FAUX is **not** running with this makes it even more suspicious, since Reagan worship is a religious practice over there.

John Ashcroft
08-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Oh, just wait a day. Surely somebody will pick up on this and try to interview her.

knuckleboner
08-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Joanne Drake, the chief of staff for former President Ronald Reagan’s office in Los Angeles, said in a statement on behalf of the former first lady, “Mrs. Reagan supports President Bush’s re-election 150 percent.”

see. this IS clearly made up. it's not possible to support somebody "150" %...;)

Sgt Schultz
08-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
see. this IS clearly made up. it's not possible to support somebody "150" %...;)

Yeah I hate that.

Warham
08-03-2004, 11:07 AM
I dunno, I support Diamond Dave 200%.

Wayne L.
08-03-2004, 05:32 PM
I knew Nancy Reagan was voting for President Bush in this year's election which isn't news at all despite the stem cell controversy.

Satan
08-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I dunno, I support Diamond Dave 200%.

As the owner of David Lee Roth's soul since June 6, 1976, I support him 666%

lucky wilbury
08-03-2004, 06:01 PM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040803/D847VG4O0.html

Nancy Reagan Backing Bush's Re-Election

Email this Story

Aug 3, 4:39 PM (ET)

By JEFF WILSON

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former first lady Nancy Reagan, who opposes President Bush's policy on limiting embryonic stem cell research, is backing the Republican's re-election bid.

"The campaign is certainly about more than one issue," said spokeswoman Joanne Drake, who described Reagan on Tuesday as in "full and complete support of President Bush's candidacy."

Nancy Reagan is a strong advocate of stem cell research, arguing as many scientists do that stem cells, the body's building blocks, can be used to repair organs or treat diseases such as diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Former President Reagan died June 5 of pneumonia related to his decade-long battle with Alzheimer's disease.

However, stem cells are typically removed from days-old human embryos that are later destroyed when the cells are extracted. Many anti-abortion activists oppose such research, and Bush has ordered sharp restrictions on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, allowing it only for stem cells created before Aug. 9, 2001.

Reagan has limited her public appearances since the death of her husband two months ago. She will not attend the Republican National Convention in New York later this month, but the former first lady hasn't ruled out campaigning for Bush, according to Drake.

"She's taking it one day at a time right now. We'll see," Drake said. "She will certainly want to help but there are no plans right now."

Reagan's son, Ronald Prescott Reagan, told delegates at last week's Democratic National Convention in Boston that he was unhappy with the administration's opposition to stem cell research. He also implicitly endorsed the Democratic ticket of John Kerry and John Edwards.

"Whatever else you do come Nov. 2, I urge you, please, cast a vote for embryonic stem cell research," the younger Reagan told delegates.

knuckleboner
08-03-2004, 06:11 PM
you know, the real question isn't whether or not nancy supports bush, it's whether or not her astrologer does...:D

John Ashcroft
08-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Now that was pretty damn funny KB!

A voice of reason amongst us all.

Loved President Reagan, but his wife's endorsement doesn't mean all that much to me as a voting citizen.

Sgt Schultz
08-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Now that was pretty damn funny KB!

A voice of reason amongst us all.

Loved President Reagan, but his wife's endorsement doesn't mean all that much to me as a voting citizen.

Me either really but the libs were trying to make as much hay out of Ron Jr. and then a bogus story about Nancy not liking Bush.

So Ford, still calling this one bullshit??

>>crickets chirping<<

Sgt Schultz
08-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Maybe not. I still haven't seen any confirmation on that, and NewsHax ain't gonna cut it. The fact that FAUX is **not** running with this makes it even more suspicious, since Reagan worship is a religious practice over there.

Nancy Reagan backs Bush
The Miami Herald

LOS ANGELES - (AFP) -- Former first lady Nancy Reagan has pledged her support for President Bush's reelection campaign, despite their sharp differences over stem cell research.

The wife of Republican President Ronald Reagan, who died in June at 93 after a battle with Alzheimer's disease, is a strong supporter of human stem cell medical research.

However, Reagan said in a statement issued Thursday after meeting Bush during his campaign stop in Los Angeles that she had no hesitation about backing the president.

''It was wonderful to see President and Mrs. Bush today,'' Reagan said. ``It gave me a chance to thank them again for the kindness they provided at the time of Ronnie's funeral.

''I repeated my full support of his reelection and my hope that everyone will join in supporting his campaign,'' said Reagan, 83.

BigBadBrian
08-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD

I saw the Pres, First Lady, and Nancy Reagan on Foxnews this morning. Anything else, FORD?

Satan
08-13-2004, 02:39 PM
It took a full 10 days to get confirmation on the story. That's not exactly a sign of bliss and harmony between the Reagan and BCE camps.