PDA

View Full Version : Chords for Change

FORD
08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
Chords for Change
By BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

Published: August 5, 2004

A nation's artists and musicians have a particular place in its social and political life. Over the years I've tried to think long and hard about what it means to be American: about the distinctive identity and position we have in the world, and how that position is best carried. I've tried to write songs that speak to our pride and criticize our failures.

These questions are at the heart of this election: who we are, what we stand for, why we fight. Personally, for the last 25 years I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights, a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen too high to sit this election out.

Through my work, I've always tried to ask hard questions. Why is it that the wealthiest nation in the world finds it so hard to keep its promise and faith with its weakest citizens? Why do we continue to find it so difficult to see beyond the veil of race? How do we conduct ourselves during difficult times without killing the things we hold dear? Why does the fulfillment of our promise as a people always seem to be just within grasp yet forever out of reach?

I don't think John Kerry and John Edwards have all the answers. I do believe they are sincerely interested in asking the right questions and working their way toward honest solutions. They understand that we need an administration that places a priority on fairness, curiosity, openness, humility, concern for all America's citizens, courage and faith.

People have different notions of these values, and they live them out in different ways. I've tried to sing about some of them in my songs. But I have my own ideas about what they mean, too. That is why I plan to join with many fellow artists, including the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, Jurassic 5, James Taylor and Jackson Browne, in touring the country this October. We will be performing under the umbrella of a new group called Vote for Change. Our goal is to change the direction of the government and change the current administration come November.

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders. Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are now discredited. We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting and squeezing services like afterschool programs. We granted tax cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of "one nation indivisible."

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.

Bruce Springsteen is a writer and performer.

link (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/opinion/05bruce.html)

John Ashcroft
08-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Dupe thread, already covered here:

Moron Musicians for Kerry (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8616)

Close at your discretion please... ;)

FORD
08-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Dupe thread, already covered here:

Moron Musicians for Kerry (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8616)

Close at your discretion please... ;)

Actually, THAT was the dupe thread, since I originally posted the article (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8194) announcing the tour a week or so ago.

Besides, this is a different article. You'll notice it's got tomorrow's date on it.

JCOOK
08-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Boss song in the key of YAWN

"WELL I WOKE UP THIS MORNIN'"... "AND I PUT ON MY SHOES AND WENT DOWNSTAIRS TO GET ME SOME BREAKFAST CAUSE I WAS HUNGRY"......'crickets chirping'

BigBadBrian
08-04-2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.rit.edu/~jho8344/409/inclass/spam.jpg

FORD
08-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Hagar's not on this tour (Thank God!)

FORD
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
BTW, The Boss is on Nightline tonight. That's like NOW, for you east-coasters.

freak
08-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Hagar's not on this tour (Thank God!)

Can you see it?

The Boss and the Blob.

Cheesy frontman playing a bland guitar and missing high notes... capri-pants... some naive political lyrics courtesy of Bruce...

I'd squat pantless in a room full of wolverines and listen to BanannaRama before I'd go to something like that.

HELLVIS
08-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Hell, I'd rather dip my balls in barbeque sauce and teabag fat Nat

from the DIXIE CHICKS!

Sgt Schultz
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
“A nation's artists and musicians have a particular place in its social and political life.”

Actually Bruce over the course of history for the most part artists and musicians (that were even known to the public) were commissioned by the ruling elite and rich to create and perform for them. Excepting Goya and perhaps a few others, “political” art, apart from official State propaganda, did not appear in Western art on a large scale until the early 20th Century – particularly after the Great War. Popular music only since the 1960s. You give yourself way too much credit. Interesting since you speak of the need for “humility” so much later on.

“Over the years I've tried to think long and hard about what it means to be American: about the distinctive identity and position we have in the world, and how that position is best carried. I've tried to write songs that speak to our pride and criticize our failures.

These questions are at the heart of this election: who we are, what we stand for, why we fight. Personally, for the last 25 years I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights, a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen too high to sit this election out.

Through my work, I've always tried to ask hard questions. Why is it that the wealthiest nation in the world finds it so hard to keep its promise and faith with its weakest citizens?”

Which promise is this exactly Bruce? Are you talking about the Constitution? The inscription on the Statue of Liberty? This is too simplistic and vague to be able to even argue about.

“Why do we continue to find it so difficult to see beyond the veil of race?”

That is a question best asked of Democrats and the left, who are always the first to point out a person’s race in most cases. Regarding Bush, he has the most racially diverse administration in U.S. history.

“How do we conduct ourselves during difficult times without killing the things we hold dear?”

Referring to The Patriot Act here? The ACT that Kerry and Edwards voted FOR? Of the found that 1,266 complaints about civil rights and civil liberties that were received between June 15 and Dec. 15, 2003, NONE of the abuses of civil rights or civil liberties were related to the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act Bogeyman doesn’t exist Bruce.

“Why does the fulfillment of our promise as a people always seem to be just within grasp yet forever out of reach?”

Here’s this “promise” again. If you want people to take you seriously as an artist and a political activist you should really be more specific, especially when your poorly written piece appears in the New York Times.

“I don't think John Kerry and John Edwards have all the answers. I do believe they are sincerely interested in asking the right questions and working their way toward honest solutions.”

Yet, like you, they aren’t all that specific about what they will do. They speak mainly in platitudes, sort of like you.

“They understand that we need an administration that places a priority on fairness, curiosity, openness, humility, concern for all America's citizens, courage and faith.”

Fairness to whom? Trial lawyers? Be specific here. This isn’t a song Bruce you are writing an opinion piece. Curiosity? Ah, humility. This would be the “we need to be nice so the rest of the world doesn’t hate us anymore” concern that the left seems obsessed with. This is just childish. This is a concern of a 13 year old, not the leader of the free world. Courage and faith? Your nemesis GW has plenty of that.

“People have different notions of these values, and they live them out in different ways. I've tried to sing about some of them in my songs. But I have my own ideas about what they mean, too. That is why I plan to join with many fellow artists, including the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, Jurassic 5, James Taylor and Jackson Browne, in touring the country this October. We will be performing under the umbrella of a new group called Vote for Change. Our goal is to change the direction of the government and change the current administration come November.

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders.”

And it did.

“Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are now discredited.”

Headlong? We debated action in Iraq for FOURTEEN MONTHS long after September 11, 2001. Unneccessary? You belong to the same group of people who say that the Bush administration didn’t “connect the dots” prior to 9/11 and were asleep at the wheel. Yet when all of the intelligence agencies of the Western powers along with Egypt and Jordan agree that Iraq had and was developing WMDs, when their dictator had already used them and had flouted every UN resolution against him for 12 years and we wisely take action against him you scream that it was “unnessesary”. Can’t have it both ways Bruce. Discredited? Better get your facts straight, the 9/11 Commission confirms an Iraq – al Queda link and the Senate Intelligence Report confirms that Iraq was seeking materials from Niger to make nuclear weapons.

“We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting and squeezing services like afterschool programs.”

When a nation is at war it has to properly fund that war. Especially when the military and intelligence agencies required to fight that war were gutted by the previous Democrat Administration – and aided by Senate Democrats – including Kerry and Edwards. Personal anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise. My wife’s after school program was just refunded for another 5 years. ,Some after school programs were phased out because they were shown to be ineffective and the Bush administration wants to implement alternatives.

“We granted tax cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of "one nation indivisible."

This is drivel. “Granted” tax cuts? The government doesn’t GIVE people a tax cut – it’s their own money to begin with. A tax cut just menas they will be taking a little less than before. EVERYONE got a tax cut – even people who don’t even pay taxes, got a tax “credit” (free money). What did you do with your tax cut Bruce? Stow it away under your bed? I doubt it. Tax cuts helped to enable the economy (which started its recession in the fall of 2000 by the way) to recover. People of average means had a little extra (so they could buy a few more of your albums). Tax cuts for you rich people reversed job losses. Earlier you said you like to write songs about “freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens “ yet what you espouse here is naked class warfare.

“It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.”

Just plain wrong. The current administration is doing this. You need only put away the hate in your heart and open your eyes to see it.

Sgt Schultz
08-06-2004, 10:32 AM
O'Reilly Debunks Springsteen's 'Nonpartisan' Claim

"Blue collar" multi-millionaire rock n'roller Bruce Springsteen is organizing a concert tour dedicated to defeating George Bush in November.

But in an op-ed piece in Thursday's New York Times, "the Boss" tries to paint the move as a break with his apolitical past, claiming, "Personally, I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics."

Not so, says Fox News Channel host Bill O'Reilly, who treated his audience last night to a laundry list of Springsteen's anti-GOP activities.
• "The Boss" has "consistently pushed left wing defamation books at his concert and associated with radical elements of the Democratic Party," O'Reilly noted.

• In 1984, Springsteen attacked Ronald Reagan's policies after Reagan adopted his "Born in the USA" as a campaign theme song.

• In 1991, the aging rocker raised money for the radical left Christic Institute, O'Reilly noted.

• And to top it all off, last September Springsteen actually called for the impeachment of President Bush.

O'Reilly said that while "the Boss" has a perfect right to campaign for anybody he wants to, "Don't be telling me you're not a partisan [while] suggesting the government divide up everybody's wealth while [you're] sitting there in the Beverly Hills."

"If Springsteen isn't a partisan," the Fox host added, "then I'm Whoopi Goldberg."

ELVIS
08-06-2004, 10:47 AM
hahahahahahaha!!!

FORD
08-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Like O'Reichly has room to talk. He works for the BCE's own Pravda

ELVIS
08-06-2004, 10:54 AM
LIES! All Lies !!

hahahaha!

:elvis: