PDA

View Full Version : Listening to "Zero" demo this week

Hollywood Jesus
08-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Put out the Lights is a new favorite of mine. It and Big Trouble and Babe don't leave Me are great songs.

Surprised they didn't make any WB releases. Pretty sure I heard the bridge from Mean Streets on Zero. Did these songs develop into something else?

Zero also shows me how important Ted Templeman was to VH. Neither Dave nor Eddie seem to really let loose. RWTD and Somebody get me a Doctor illustrate this point pretty well.

Templeman seems to have taken these guys and put them on steroids. Or was it that Gene Simmons wasn't the best knob-turner?

Figs
08-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
Put out the Lights is a new favorite of mine. It and Big Trouble and Babe don't leave Me are great songs.

Surprised they didn't make any WB releases. Pretty sure I heard the bridge from Mean Streets on Zero. Did these songs develop into something else?

Zero also shows me how important Ted Templeman was to VH. Neither Dave nor Eddie seem to really let loose. RWTD and Somebody get me a Doctor illustrate this point pretty well.

Templeman seems to have taken these guys and put them on steroids. Or was it that Gene Simmons wasn't the best knob-turner?

Zero is an interesting collection. It's cool to hear the evolution of some of the songs. The "Dance baby" bridge from Mean Street is on She's the Woman. I like the version of House of Pain too, especially the car horns that ended up in RWTD. I think I heard the riff from "outta love again" in there too.

DeadOrAlive
08-06-2004, 03:28 PM
She's The Woman and Lady Loose are really good, and they were never released on any other album or bootleg! This collection is kick ass!

Rikk
08-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Great album! It's totally different from the Templeman style very much because there are a lot of overdubs. Listen to Ed's solo and rhythm guitars...lots of double-tracking. It's interesting to hear Ed this way because he never really did much (if any) double-tracking on any of the albums (doubling guitar parts exactly).

SHE'S THE WOMAN is one of their long-lost classics. Same with LET'S GET ROCKIN' (except maybe the stupid title), BABE DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE is good, BIG TROUBLE is a classic...I hope we get to hear the DIVER DOWN and 1984 versions of this someday...it was a sin to cut this song.

The album is great and sounds very much like typical mid-late 70's American hard rock. I love it.

DeadOrAlive
08-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Babe don't leave me alone is pretty damn good too! Hell, I don't know why this isn't an official album!

TwoFoolsAMinute
08-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Zero has the best version of House of Pain of the three I've heard. Good CD all the way around.

DeadOrAlive
08-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Right with you TwoFoolsAMinute!