View Full Version : McCain Condemns Anti-Kerry Ad

DLR'sCock
08-05-2004, 01:34 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20040805_751.html

McCain Condemns Anti-Kerry Ad
By Ron Fournier
The Associated Press

Thursday 05 August 2004

McCain calls ad criticizing Kerry's military service 'dishonest and dishonorable.'
Washington - Republican Sen. John McCain, a former prisoner of war in Vietnam, called an ad criticizing John Kerry's military service "dishonest and dishonorable" and urged the White House on Thursday to condemn it as well.

"It was the same kind of deal that was pulled on me," McCain said in an interview with The Associated Press, referring to his bitter Republican primary fight with President Bush.

The 60-second ad features Vietnam veterans who accuse the Democratic presidential nominee of lying about his decorated Vietnam War record and betraying his fellow veterans by later opposing the conflict.

"When the chips were down, you could not count on John Kerry," one of the veterans, Larry Thurlow, says in the ad.

The ad, scheduled to air in a few markets in Ohio, West Virginia and Wisconsin, was produced by Stevens, Reed, Curcio and Potham, the same team that produced McCain's ads in 2000.

"I wish they hadn't done it," McCain said of his former advisers. "I don't know if they knew all the facts."

Asked if the White House knew about the ad or helped find financing for it, McCain said, "I hope not, but I don't know. But I think the Bush campaign should specifically condemn the ad."

Later, McCain said the Bush campaign has denied any involvement and added, "I can't believe the president would pull such a cheap stunt."

The White House did not immediately address McCain's call that they repudiate the spot.

Steve Schmidt, a spokesman for the Bush-Cheney campaign, said Kerry's record and statements on the war on terrorism - not his service in Vietnam - are fair game. "The Bush campaign never has and will never question John Kerry's service in Vietnam," he said.

In 2000, Bush's supporters sponsored a rumor campaign against McCain in the South Carolina primary, helping Bush win the primary and the nomination. McCain's supporters have never forgiven the Bush team.

McCain said that's all in the past to him, but he's speaking out against the anti-Kerry ad because he believes it's bad for the political system. "It reopens all the old wounds of the Vietnam War, which I spent the last 35 years trying to heal," he said.

"I deplore this kind of politics. I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable. As it is, none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded. Many of his crew have testified to his courage under fire. I think John Kerry served honorably in Vietnam. I think George Bush served honorably in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War."

McCain himself spent more than five years in a Vietnam prisoner of war camp. A bona fide war hero, McCain, like Kerry, used his war record as the foundation of his presidential campaign.

The Kerry campaign has denounced the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, saying none of the men in the ad served on the boat that Kerry commanded. The leader of the group, retired Adm. Roy Hoffmann, said none of the 13 veterans in the commercial served on Kerry's boat but rather were in other swiftboats within 50 yards of Kerry's.

Jim Rassmann, an Army veteran who was saved by Kerry, said there were only six crewmates who served with Kerry on his boat. Five support his candidacy and one is deceased.

-------

Jump to TO Features for Friday August 6, 2004

FORD
08-05-2004, 01:43 PM
McCain raises a valid point.

Kerry is now the third Vietnam Vet that Junior has run against, and he has trashed the military service of all three (Gore was the second).

Pretty thin ice for a DESERTER to be skating on, don'tcha think?

Sgt Schultz
08-05-2004, 01:43 PM
I would not be surprised that the Bush Campaign condemns this ad too. Remember, the Bush campaing did not put this out there.

This is a 521-C (I think that's the nomenclature) - the left has hundreds of these out there like moveon.org etc etc etc ad nauseum. The Right has nowhere near the amount of these that the Lef tdoes. George Soros has pumped many millions into this. As far as I know some guy in Texas has put about $500,000 into this swift boat vets against Kerry.

In the end the right will fight like the left does if it has to.

DLR'sCock
08-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Bullshit, the Left is finally fighting the way the fucking Right Wing nutjobs do....

It will be a slugfest to the end....

wraytw
08-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Nice spin, Cock. :rolleyes:

DLR'sCock
08-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Bullshit.....it's been the fucking truth for a long time...

wraytw
08-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I bet it Bush's fault that you can't get it up anymore, also?

Mezro
08-05-2004, 02:10 PM
John McCain is a class act; he would have made a much better President than GWB.

Mezro...you can say what you want about Kerry, at least he served while GWB played rich boy dodge ball...

FORD
08-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by wraytw
I bet it Bush's fault that you can't get it up anymore, also?

Well, it IS kinda funny that the latest pharmaceutical solution for such difficulties, heavily advertised on TV begins with the letters CIA ;)

BigBadBrian
08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
Bullshit, the Left is finally fighting the way the fucking Right Wing nutjobs do....

It will be a slugfest to the end....

So then what are you fucking whining about? You got all your Hollywood weirdos and musicians. Quit your fuckin' bitchin' you damned candy ass! :p :rolleyes:

DLR'sCock
08-05-2004, 06:14 PM
blow me...ther'es no bitchin' just action, and Bush losing in 2004, and the repukes losing the senate in 2004....

why don't you go and do your favorite thing like murder someones family or destroy the life savings or some hard working americans...

Americans have had enough of this bullshit...

wraytw
08-05-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm glad to see that you speak for everyone, dipshit.

Now quit being such a fucking puss and get back to drinking that Kool-Aid.

FORD
08-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Funny thing happenned this afternoon.....

Seems the right wing media has suddennly discovered this ad is a "bad thing" for the Bush Jr campaign. Brit Hume, Charles Shithammer and Bill O'Reichly have all condemned it so far.

My guess is that they know the REAL story is about to break. And I'm just guessing here, but it's a damn good guess.......

The guy behind this ad, John O'Neill? Guess what his middle name is?

Ellis.

Sound familiar?

As in.........

John Ellis - the FAUX News executive who called Florida for Junior prematurely.

John Ellis Bush (Jeb) - governor of Florida.

Could John Ellis O'Neill be a relative of the BCE??

It's no secret that the BCE recycles names a lot. 2 Prescotts, 2 Barbs, 2 Jennas, and more Georges than any family could possibly know what to do with. And that's only within the last century.

As closet boy Drudge likes to say, developing...........

ELVIS
08-05-2004, 09:32 PM
You be's crazy...:D

FORD
08-05-2004, 09:43 PM
How many people do YOU know with the middle name "Ellis"?

If it's a coincidence, it's one HELL of a coincidence ;)

Big Train
08-06-2004, 03:38 AM
Yea that a white man, among hundreds of million white men in this country, could have a middle name Ellis...really, its fucking mind roasting ford...

Big Train
08-06-2004, 03:41 AM
The question you have to ask isn't who is funding it (I'd LOVE to get under the hood at moveon.doucebag), but why would a whole unit lie about a single man's actions, 30 something years down the line? They can't all be getting greased that well, because it is their credibility on the line as well.

Kerry's chances..Developing..Done put a fork in it...

Sgt Schultz
08-06-2004, 10:25 AM
The Bush administration condemned this ad yesterday and eeryone is saying it is in poor taste etc etc.

But it is still a devastating ad.

ELVIS
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
And the well deserved damage is done...

LMAO!

:elvis:

John Ashcroft
08-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Uh the Republican donor in question financed the group with $100,000 for the now infamous "527" group (Remember McCain/Feingold did away with all of that?)

Anyway, are you libs equally offended by the MILLIONS that George Soros contributes to 527s? You know, the ones that compare Bush to Hitler, question his guard duty, and prop Michael Moore?

Oh yeah, Michael Moore was given top honors at the Dem Convention, and you folks have made Soros out to be some kind of hero. But this group (which consists of something like 15 Medal of Honor recipients) must be silenced, if not outright killed.

Now this is hypocrisy at it's best.

John Ashcroft
08-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Nevermind, it's actually 21 Medal of Honor recipients that are against Kerry...

Check it out:

Bush lauded by Medal of Honor winners

Washington, DC, Jul. 17 (UPI) -- The Bush campaign released an open letter to veterans Saturday signed by 21 Congressional Medal of Honor winners endorsing Bush's re-election.

"We are disturbed," they said, "that John Kerry would try to scare veterans with his false accusations, and we are disappointed in his lack of support for today's troops."

Kerry, they said, has "falsely" attacked the president on the issue of veterans' benefits. "The truth is President Bush has led the way on improving veterans' benefits, supporting our troops and restoring honor and dignity to the White House."

The winners of the nation's highest award for valor also hit hard at Kerry's record, citing the Massachusetts Democrat's as having voted, "against a $1.3 billion increase in veterans health care, skipped votes on concurrent receipt and voted against funding for our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq."

"While he talks a good game," they said, "Kerry's record shows he is out of the mainstream," citing as an example Kerry's opposition to a constitutional amendment banning desecration of the U.S. flag. Bush supports the amendment.

Link: here (http://www.washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040717-043458-6068r.htm)

FORD
08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
No 527 group compared Bush to Hitler, so stop spreading that lie.

MoveOn.org invited all who view their website to create their own political ads. Someone submitted the Bush-Hitler ad. MoveOn did not endorse the ad, never ran it as their own, and in fact pulled it from their website not long after it was submitted. The only ones who ever actually aired the ad on TV were FAUX News and the Bush/Cheney campaign. So if the BCE wants to compare themselves to Hitler, I don't have a problem with it :D

John Ashcroft
08-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Heh heh heh...

Ford, if you weren't nuttier than a shit-house rat, you might make a good lawyer...

Whaddaya think KB?

DLR'sCock
08-06-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm glad to see that you speak for everyone, dipshit.

Now quit being such a fucking puss and get back to drinking that Kool-Aid.

again, who are you???

oh nevermind...

DLR'sCock
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Funny thing happenned this afternoon.....

Seems the right wing media has suddennly discovered this ad is a "bad thing" for the Bush Jr campaign. Brit Hume, Charles Shithammer and Bill O'Reichly have all condemned it so far.

My guess is that they know the REAL story is about to break. And I'm just guessing here, but it's a damn good guess.......

The guy behind this ad, John O'Neill? Guess what his middle name is?

Ellis.

Sound familiar?

As in.........

John Ellis - the FAUX News executive who called Florida for Junior prematurely.

John Ellis Bush (Jeb) - governor of Florida.

Could John Ellis O'Neill be a relative of the BCE??

It's no secret that the BCE recycles names a lot. 2 Prescotts, 2 Barbs, 2 Jennas, and more Georges than any family could possibly know what to do with. And that's only within the last century.

As closet boy Drudge likes to say, developing...........

Yeah, Rep. Drier in essence condemned the ad also on MSNBC...

DLR'sCock
08-06-2004, 12:40 PM
MoveOn pulled the ad from the contest that an individual made, but people will use anything in the war of words and slander....

Sgt Schultz
08-06-2004, 12:58 PM
MoveOn pulled the ad from the contest that an individual made, but people will use anything in the war of words and slander....

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_080504/content/this_is_no_dirty_trick_2.Par.0007.ImageFile.jpg

John Kerry himself has been, for over a year now trotting out his serivce in Vietnam. He, and his party, and his convention have talked ad nauseum about his service in Vietnam. That's fine. It is JOHN KERRY that has brought up his service in Vietnam for scrutiny. Ther are many Vietnam Vets who have been very upset and opposed to John Kerry going all the way back to the early 70s. They were also upset at him in the 80s and 90s about his anti war activites, his MIA-POW activities, his "throwing back his medals" etc etc. So this criticism of Kerry coming from Vietnam vets is NOTHING NEW. This ad of course is new. Do Vietnam vets have a right to criticize a Presidential candidate?? John Kerry has asked us to judge him on his Vietnam service. Fine.

Remember too that the media had a field day - and are still having one - regarding Bush's National Guard service. But that's fine, right?

"Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has more than 250 members, many of whom were wounded or highly decorated in Vietnam. We purchased with our blood and service the right to be heard, to set the record straight about our unit, and to tell the truth about John Kerry's military service record. We respect Senator McCain's right to express his opinion, and we hope he extends to us the same respect and courtesy, particularly since we served with John Kerry. We knew him well, and Senator McCain did not."
- Rear Admiral Roy Hoffman (Ret.)

John Ashcroft
08-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Bam!

Right out of the park!

ODShowtime
08-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
And the well deserved damage is done...

LMAO!

:elvis:

Well, at least you agree with the Republican Weapons of War... Lie, cheat, steal, rape, murder, burn, confiscate, occupy, bomb, label, irradiate, borrow, fake, ... whatever!!! As long as it works. As long as the stupid piece of shit sheep out there in the fields buy it. Hey, if no one calls us on it, it's cool!

How can you Bush people live with yourselves? Jesus H Christ! Halliburton just got hit with another class-action lawsuit dealing with the time period in which Cheney was CEO. The mans a fuckin' lying thief! But you people: "Oh yeah, that's great, let's re-elect him"

John Ashcroft
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Uh, how are these decorated Veterans "lying, cheating, stealing, raping, murdering, burning, confiscating, occupying, bombing, irradiating, borrowing, faking, .... whatevering" anybody or anything???

You don't just roll in here, throw out baseless accusations, and expect everyone to go "Damn, that guy just showed us!"

It's silly. Learn how to debate using actual support for your positions. It'll help.

ODShowtime
08-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Uh, how are these decorated Veterans "lying, cheating, stealing, raping, murdering, burning, confiscating, occupying, bombing, irradiating, borrowing, faking, .... whatevering" anybody or anything???

You don't just roll in here, throw out baseless accusations, and expect everyone to go "Damn, that guy just showed us!"

It's silly. Learn how to debate using actual support for your positions. It'll help.

1. I'm not in debate mode today. And I don't expect to change people's minds with my retoric. I'm just bored at work and pissed at Bush & Friends. Don't talk down to me just because you waste more time reading more news than I do.

2. Ashcroft, I will give you props, you shut me down pretty good the other day. You have some debate skill. And you picked a good fake person to be. That motherfucker is pure evil.

3. I said the Republicans are the ones lying, cheating, stealing, raping, murdering, burning, confiscating, occupying, bombing, irradiating, borrowing, faking, .... whatevering

Here's my point (it seems your debate skills are better than your reading comprehension):

We were talking about how that Kerry attack ad was baseless and even condemned by McCain. Then Elvis says that it's ok, the deserved damage is done.

So I say: yep, that's the 'pubs. Use anything possible to win, no matter how evil it is. It's all good as long as proper results occur. It's despicable and not how America is supposed to be run.

Are we up to speed? Did I change your mind yet?

wraytw
08-06-2004, 06:15 PM
It takes a real big man to generalize, doesn't it, ODShowtime?

wraytw
08-06-2004, 06:18 PM
again, who are you???

oh nevermind...

You're High School grammar teacher. Obviously, I didn't do a very good job.

LoungeMachine
08-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft

Great advice John, please see my reply to your "panty waist waffler" post

Sgt Schultz
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
1. I'm not in debate mode today. And I don't expect to change people's minds with my retoric. I'm just bored at work and pissed at Bush & Friends. Don't talk down to me just because you waste more time reading more news than I do.

2. Ashcroft, I will give you props, you shut me down pretty good the other day. You have some debate skill. And you picked a good fake person to be. That motherfucker is pure evil.

3. I said the Republicans are the ones lying, cheating, stealing, raping, murdering, burning, confiscating, occupying, bombing, irradiating, borrowing, faking, .... whatevering

Here's my point (it seems your debate skills are better than your reading comprehension):

We were talking about how that Kerry attack ad was baseless and even condemned by McCain. Then Elvis says that it's ok, the deserved damage is done.

So I say: yep, that's the 'pubs. Use anything possible to win, no matter how evil it is. It's all good as long as proper results occur. It's despicable and not how America is supposed to be run.

Are we up to speed? Did I change your mind yet?

You should realize that Swift Boat Veterans For Truth are not endorsing Bush they are stating that they think that Kerry is not fit to be commander in chief. The amount of $$ that went into this is nowhere near what George Soros has pumped into anti-Bush ads and websites.

BigBadBrian
08-06-2004, 07:15 PM
How can you Bush people live with yourselves? Jesus H Christ! Halliburton just got hit with another class-action lawsuit dealing with the time period in which Cheney was CEO.

Do you mean the time when Clinton was President and Halliburton was still the number one used government contractor? Are we talking the same Halliburton here? I believe we are. :gulp:

ODShowtime
08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Do you mean the time when Clinton was President and Halliburton was still the number one used government contractor? Are we talking the same Halliburton here? I believe we are. :gulp:

So it's the President's job to certify that government contractors are not acting in a fraudulant manner? ahh... NOPE.

Is it the CEO of the company's responsibility to certify that his company is not acting in a fraudulant manner?

At that time techinically, no. Now you bet it is. CEOs must sign off on the financial statements. This was done as a result of the BCE fuckin up with Enron and getting caught.

That was a stupid comparison. Next up...

ODShowtime
08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
You should realize that Swift Boat Veterans For Truth are not endorsing Bush they are stating that they think that Kerry is not fit to be commander in chief.

I realize this. Of course the ad did not come directly from Bush's campaign organization. What's your point?

ODShowtime
08-10-2004, 12:36 PM
It takes a real big man to generalize, doesn't it, ODShowtime?

Sorry, in this context I believe you mean I was generalizing about every Republican. Yes of course all the people in this country who vote R are not evil. Jesus Christ.

I meant the Bush Administration and their legion in the House, Senate, DOD, DOJ, ect....

Sorry I didn't actually name names.

Big Train
08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Posted by OD:

How was it baseless?

Jesus Christ
08-10-2004, 01:24 PM

How can you Bush people live with yourselves? Jesus H Christ! "

Hey, don't looketh at Me! I didn't vote for Bush!

Jesus Christ
08-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Yes of course all the people in this country who vote R are not evil. Jesus Christ.

Yes, my son?

ODShowtime
08-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry Jesus.

Wayne L.
08-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I appreciate Sen. John McCain's service in Vietnam since he is a real war hero in every way & being the kind of politician most Americans want in Washington who is non-partisan but saying this political ad by Swift Boats Veterans For Truth is misleading concerning John Kerry is pathetic!

Big Train
08-11-2004, 08:57 PM
It is very reminiscent of the debate over the word "is". Where the men on the boat with Kerry? No. Were they a short distance from him and working in conjunction with him? Yes. So I am still trying to figure out how anyone can call it baseless since none of us or their accusers were there.

Bottom line is, show us how you got your medals (the official paper version) and maybe then we can start to sort this thing out. Until then let's allow their statements to stand, Mr. McCain.