PDA

View Full Version : Skyscraper Your Take

DLRdelight!
08-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Well i was lookin to buy Eat Em' and Smile but they didnt have it at the store so i bought Skyscraper. Not too bad of cd but a little too popish for my taste on some songs. What does everyone else think about this album?

frenchie
08-05-2004, 05:31 PM
a good one.skyscraper is a good song, hina was in skyscraper,no?steve vai was at the top

DLRdelight!
08-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Ha try to make sense buddy, but yeah its pretty good

frenchie
08-05-2004, 05:42 PM
what's wrong with my english? je fais c'que j'peux!

DLRdelight!
08-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Those better not be the kind of words i think they are french fry!

Mezro
08-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Skyscraper is my least favorite Dave CD.

Mezro...great songs but mixed too sugar sweet...

DLRdelight!
08-05-2004, 06:31 PM
whats your fave dave solo cd ?

Mezro
08-05-2004, 06:36 PM
DLR Band, ALAE and EEAS have all been my favorite depending on the mighty Mezro mood.

Mezro...since you are 16 (if that age is real) go buy the DLR Band CD...it is the newest one on my list...

DLRdelight!
08-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Ha you dont believe that im 16?

Bill Lumbergh
08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
I agree that it is a little too "80's hair band" sounding in places, but I still love it. I think the songs are better than the production.

Carmine
08-06-2004, 11:18 AM
I love skyscraper!!!! saw the tour 6 times.. admit its not as "crunchy" as some of the others but still rocks front to back!!!

degüello
08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
I fucking hate that album; sometimes I prefer to think of it as Skycrapper.

WAAAY too overproduced and glossy. Extremely wimpy sounding, especially when heard now. Lifeless and dull.

Having said that, I do like Hina and Damn Good, though.

knuckleboner
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
i agree it's a bit overproduced.

but i am kinda partial to knucklebones...

a bare minimum of synth and a straight forward rocker.

Mezro
08-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by DLRdelight!

I don't know man but if you are, great taste in music for being so young.

Mezro...a Roth fan who is 16 makes you the smartest 16 year old I know...

knuckleboner
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
I don't know man but if you are, great taste in music for being so young.

Mezro...a Roth fan who is 16 makes you the smartest 16 year old I know...

since when has dave's music been for intellectuals?

i just think it means the kid's more likely to get laid...:D

degüello
08-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
... i just think it means the kid's more likely to get laid...:D

Pervert...

Mr Badguy
08-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I really enjoy "Skyscaper".

Like most albums, you have to be in the mood for it.

"Skyscraper" works best on a nice, hot summer day with plenty of scantily clad girls around.

"Just like paradise"!

DLRdelight!
08-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Hahaha. Yeah i know. At irst when i heard the album(2 days ago)i was like i could have got something better. Now i think its pretty good with songs like knuclebones, sky scraper, hot dog and a shake, good buy in my eyes!

FORD
08-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Gotta go with what's already been said about the overproducing. It was almost like a Van Hagar album with better lyrics. Definitely my least favorite DLR album. And yes, that means I liked YFLM and "Diamond Dave" better.

Now if Billy Sheehan was to ever leak the tapes he says he has of what the album was supposed to sound like and those made it over to STG (assuming they ever FIX IT!) then I would be willing to re-evaluate my opinion :D

JCOOK
08-09-2004, 01:14 AM
"GIVE ME DAVE OR GIVE ME DEATH"

Bill Lumbergh
08-09-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Gotta go with what's already been said about the overproducing. It was almost like a Van Hagar album with better lyrics. Definitely my least favorite DLR album. And yes, that means I liked YFLM and "Diamond Dave" better.

Now if Billy Sheehan was to ever leak the tapes he says he has of what the album was supposed to sound like and those made it over to STG (assuming they ever FIX IT!) then I would be willing to re-evaluate my opinion :D

I wouldnt go that far dude. Sure it's no doubt over produced,as I mentioned, but it still blows away any Van Hagar project. I agree with the other poster, it's a great album to blast on a summer day. Titties and beer!

degüello
08-09-2004, 04:05 AM
I've also posted this in a thread in the main, but here's Sheehan's remarks about that album (from Sludge 20Qs):

14. Did you leave David Lee Roth’s band because:

A: Dave’s voice started to go

(Believe it or not I like Dave's voice!)

B: Dave’s hair started to go

(Hey! How come all the alternative bands are bald as a queball and they don't get shit on! Who's that dork with the Smashing whatever's?)

C: Your hair started to go

(It's still here! I cover the gray though. Better gray than gone!!)

D: Your a band wagon jumper

(Hey! I jumped into NO BAND after that! "Hey Billy! We got a great idea! Jump into unemployment! It'll be an experience!!")

E. Other

OK I admit it---I HATED Skyscraper!!!!!!!!!! A BILLION OVERDUBS!!!!! All of it poo poo. You should hear the original demo's with just me, Steve, Brett, and Greg. I think I'll post them on my site someday---sounded great! What the fuck happened!!

Bill Lumbergh
08-09-2004, 04:17 AM
"Suzy Suzy, girl for cryin' out loud.................."

turboblues
08-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Those better not be the kind of words i think they are french fry! I think he was saying "I'm doing the best I can". He wasn't insulting you. Kinda funny!

DLRdelight!
08-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I still like to see it the other way hahaha, amuses me more

DeadOrAlive
08-12-2004, 07:13 PM

I'm 13 dude!

TwoFoolsAMinute
08-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Skyscraper is no doubt "totally 80's". The sound may not have stood the test of time as well as some of his others. At the time it was one of the best rock albums out there. Look at most anything in that 87-88 era and it's gonna be keyboard heavy. So, it is somewhat poppish. It doesn't stand up against EEAS for the total album.

But,

It has some F'n awesome songs on it. Some finger lickin good guitar and bass. (Check out the guitar and bass solos in Two Fools A Minute)

Skyscraper (the song) is very electronic, but damn it's smooth.

Hina, Perfect Timing, Hot Dog and a Shake, and Knucklebones are great rock songs.

Stand up is trash pop.

Just like paradise would make Van Hagar proud, but it's still a fucking good song.

There's another Damn Good song on there too that's kinda slow and acoustical sounding with some friggin impossible harmonics.

The Bottom Line (song is mediocre) is this was my favorite TAPE when it came out, and stayed there for a long time. I went to the Skyscraper show in Dallas, which was phenomenal, and listening to it takes me back to some of the good ol days.
I LOVE SKYSCRAPER!!!

Thetruthbaby
08-12-2004, 08:02 PM
The album is waaaay too much S Vai and his ballsless guitar sound. Wild too because on EEASmile he sounded like a caged tiger ready to kill. After EEASmile I never liked Vai's guitar sound too much. Always sounded like he's running it through a synth which I don't like. Maybe it's just me but after EEASmile I don't think Vai has contributed anything great to rock. That same ballsless sound is on Slip Of The Tongue by Whitesnake. The previous WSnake record with John Sykes sounded incredible. Then Vai comes in with the synth sounding guitar and it kills their balls. I realize that WSnake had some power ballads (and no I wasn't a big fan of those songs) but if you listen to the WSnake 87' album tunes like Crying In The Rain, Still Of The Night, & Bad Boys KILL. And a big part is because of John Sykes. Again Vai comes in with that wimpy sound and destroys the songs that could have redeemed Slip Of The Tongue. I'll be fair and say that ROTH must bear some of the criticism for SScraper. But I just think if he had not let Vai have so much control SScraper would have been much better. In an ironic twist of fate I actually thought the tour for SScraper was DLR's best. EEASmile was awesome as well, but live I actually enjoyed the SScraper tour a little more. I'm probably in the minority on that one.

tobinentinc
08-13-2004, 12:47 AM
I like Skyscraper, it's a great album. Very underrated here for some reason.

DLRdelight!
08-13-2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah, i find myself listening to that album more and more, great album in my book. "Stand Up!"

degüello
08-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Man, I try and block "Stand Up" from ever entering my head. :D

The video is fucking hilarious. Bizarre when seen in retrospect.

DLRdelight!
08-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah thats where i first heard the song, from the video. LOL

Man it was a great laugh, but to get it out your head

"Are you ready for the new sensation!"

DeadOrAlive
08-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Where could I find the Vid for Stand Up?

DLRdelight!
08-14-2004, 01:51 AM
I have no idea, but i saw it once o vh1 classic on rock fest

DeadOrAlive
08-14-2004, 02:00 AM
sweet man... I'm gonna have to order VH1Classic...

DLRdelight!
08-14-2004, 02:03 AM
I dunno though. What pisses me off about that is channel is that they show all these other bootleg videos and the good ones hardly get played. I just wish they had a all classic VH/Dave video day so i could record it all

DeadOrAlive
08-14-2004, 02:32 AM
I know what you mean. A vote for you because you agree with me!

DLRdelight!
08-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Wow thanks. Heres one right back at you.

DeadOrAlive
08-14-2004, 02:47 AM
Sweet man. Thank you!

secrets
08-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
The album is waaaay too much S Vai and his ballsless guitar sound. Wild too because on EEASmile he sounded like a caged tiger ready to kill. After EEASmile I never liked Vai's guitar sound too much. Always sounded like he's running it through a synth which I don't like.

Couldn't agree more with you.

Skyscraper is one of the few Dave CDs I don't own. It's OK there are some really good songs there.

It reminds me of being in school and I was one of few people already into David Lee Roth and classic Van halen, then all of a sudden this album came out and everyone was into Skyscraper, Dave was really famous at this time in the UK.

Those were good times.

rob100
08-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Skyscraper is my favorite DLR solo CD. Everytime I hear it the quality hits me. It's about as good as '80's rock gets I think. I bought it when it came out in '88 and I still love it. I do understand why some people hate the production, but I really get a kick out of it.

If I ever needed to demonstrate the brilliance of Roth, I'd probably play them 'Hot dog and a shake'. One of Dave's finest moments in my opinion.

Great music for in the car too.

DLRdelight!
08-29-2004, 01:59 AM
Yes it is.

=Marshall=
08-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by secrets
Those were good times.
Damn good times. :D

Hina and Damn Good are among my Roth solo-favorites.

Carmine
08-30-2004, 11:45 AM
to expand on my earlier post, Skyscraper is in my cd player right now... skyscraper, stand up, perfect timing are 3 of Daves best efforts. The only song on this disc that I dont really like as much as the others is Hot Dog and A Shake...

DLRdelight!
08-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Hot Dog and a Shake has a really good solo though. Perfect timing is one of my favorites off of that album......."Is this just a passing fancy...."

Carmine
08-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Perfect timing is one of my favorites off of that album......."Is this just a passing fancy...."

" or another passing game
is this just a little something that fallen angels play
I've had a million fantasies, but that was make-believe
baby open up this door before I freeze....

dave_is_vh
08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Skyscraper is Dave's best CD by far. It is even better than the Van Halen CDs. Awesome songwriting, musicianship, and production.

Unfortunately there are a lot of closed minded people out there that only want to hear Dave reincarnate Van Halen I. Well Dave is extremely versatile and because of that Skyscraper, YFLM, and CFTH are great CDs.

Carmine
08-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Awesome songwriting, musicianship, and production.[/B]

that about sums it up...good post D is VH...

jay_are
08-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Saw Dave when he toured in support of Skyscraper. One of the best shows I've ever been to. Enjoyed Skyscraper. Reminds me of Damn good times, great sex with my favorite girl (who later became my wife)and even better sex with Dave playing in the background.

DLRdelight!
08-30-2004, 07:37 PM
I agreee. I thihk it is a really grat album as well.

sambo
08-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Damn Good was, and still is one of my favourite songs, we used to jam on this at Sunday afternoon bbqs when it came out. The album is a little "slick" for my taste but Dave really shines...

I now have "Knucklebones" stuck in my head... haha! nice work all!

"Ain't no use waitin'
For your invitation
King Kong never had it so clean
We'll do the Fat Cat Shake
We'll have our cake and eat it too
You coukd never, no, no, no, never, beat this squeeze!"

badhorsie
09-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Skyscraper owns

DLRdelight!
09-02-2004, 06:49 PM
"Im a, SKYSCRAPER"

DeadOrAlive
09-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Turn on your high beams!

DLRdelight!
09-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Like a b52,DRAMATIC!!!!!

badhorsie
09-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Stand up
Hina
Knucklebones
Just Like Paradise
Damn Good

all tunes DLR needs to play live more often along with ALAE/its show time/big trouble

Honeyhunter
09-04-2004, 02:42 AM
i like that living in pardise song.the last thing i heard besides that was the me wise magic song.all ofthe stuff with hagar just sucks and now theyre back togther fuckin bullshit

DLRdelight!
09-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Living in paradise is a great song.
"Rockin steady in her daddys car......."

DeadOrAlive
09-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Stand up! Stand Up!

DLRdelight!
09-11-2004, 01:32 AM
the more you do it, the less you fall down

Figs
09-11-2004, 01:41 AM
I just got Skyscraper from a friend. It's not bad. Does anyone know if "Damn Good" got a tiny bit of airplay when this came out? It seems a little familiar to me. Good song.

Loons The Great
12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm a Skyscraper! I'm a Hoodoo Man!:D

BottomLine65
01-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Too Steve Vai-ish, but still good to listen too...good show as well.

DLRdelight!
01-05-2007, 01:23 AM
to think i started this thread almost three years ago now!!!

imma be 19 in a month!

Loons The Great
01-06-2007, 08:55 AM
One foot in the past....

One foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel...:D

Terry
01-21-2007, 07:43 PM
This nearly three year old thread prompted me to actually listen to the CD, which I hadn't done in ages.

Pretty much have the same reaction now that I did then, in that it was a much softer-edged follow up to EEAS than I would have liked, but then again you can't just remake the same album over and over and have a career worth listening to, either...

Have never liked Stand Up. Didn't then, don't now. The title track was interesting...Just Like Paradise was great single. Damn Good lived up to its name. The rest were just solid rockers, but nothing really exceptional...it felt like Vai was already heading towards the door when he recorded most of this...in terms of spin time, this and Diamond Dave get the least amount of spin time by me.

DLRdelight!
01-22-2007, 01:27 AM
well good to know it made some of you listen to it again. for me it was the first dlr cd i bought because it was the only one available at the store. i thought it was interesting. eeas much better though and it did seem like vai was in another zone in this one

vhrothfan
02-02-2007, 03:28 AM
I always liked Skyscaper.

Wacke
02-08-2007, 11:12 AM
"Skyscraper" is a great album! I love it!