PDA

View Full Version : Namath says he 'feels great'

Sarge
08-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Embarrassment past, Namath says he feels great'
Aug. 5, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Joe Namath signed autographs, posed for pictures and shook plenty of hands during the New York Jets' kickoff luncheon Thursday.

Advertisement

Yes, everything seems to be going well for Namath these days.

Nearly eight months after embarrassing himself on national television, the Hall of Fame quarterback says he is sober - and as beloved as always.

"I was surprised at how many people have approached me and still do and offer their support and understanding," Namath said after the luncheon. "I blew it, I messed up. I'm not making any excuses for that, but I have changed. It's been good all over the country. I'm flattered, people have been very nice."

Especially in New York. Fans mobbed around his table, waiting to get a glimpse of the NFL great. He got the loudest cheers when he was introduced, and heard plenty of encouraging words from many of the same people who watched what happened last December.

In an interview during the Jets' game against the New England Patriots, Namath appeared intoxicated when he twice told ESPN reporter Suzy Kolber he wanted to kiss her. Namath subsequently apologized to Kolber.

Namath said he had been drinking for several hours before kickoff.

"It was a long day with a lot of partying, of course I was totally embarrassed," Namath said. "I let my family down, the Jets down, the fans. That kind of behavior I didn't condone. It was something that happened and thank God it wasn't the end of the world and it's not."

Namath went into counseling for alcohol abuse as an outpatient starting in January, and spent three months getting his life back in order.

"I needed some help," Namath said. "I realized that I'm the kind of person who can't drink anymore and that's that. I went a couple of months and got some help, talking about things, figuring out things and it's been great.

"I went 13 plus years, close to 14 years without drinking. I used to wonder why I ever drank in the first place, then went through a transition with the family and all and I developed a bad attitude which I have corrected."

Namath still has ties with the Jets, whom he guided to their only Super Bowl championship, and has attended several events for the team over the last few weeks. He has yet to read the recently released biography "Namath" by Mark Kriegel, saying, "I hope it's enjoyable."

One thing seems certain: Namath is enjoying his life more now that he has gotten help.

"You go through some tough times whether it be family situations, health situations and survival's important," he said. "And how you deal with the tough times. You can't run away from them. You have to confront them and hopefully make positive changes. I know I've made positive changes."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7552929

Lou
08-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey Cowboys fans...he's available :D

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2004, 07:49 PM
I can't blame Joe, Suzy is quite the hottie for a 39year old....

Starwood
08-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Probably the Greatest ever - Drunk or not...