PDA

View Full Version : LED ZEPPELIN Nix Live Aid Performance

PHOENIX
08-07-2004, 08:11 PM
LED ZEPPELIN Nix Live Aid Performance [Rock Hard - 04.08.02 07:22:56]

According to www.xfm.co.uk, LED ZEPPELIN, have confirmed they are refusing to allow their performance at the legendary charity fundraiser Live Aid to feature on the forthcoming DVD that will be ready in time for a Christmas release. The seminal rockers played as part of the Philadelphia leg of the extravaganza with ex-Genesis drummer Phil Collins standing in for late sticksman John Bonham. The performance was notably the first time the band had attempted any kind of reunion performance since the drummer's death. The Sunday Times reports that the band were unsatisfied with their performance and have vetoed permission to reproduce their set claiming they felt it was below par. At the time, rumours circulated that the reason for the performance’s lack of focus may have been due to Collins’ jetlag having made musical history playing at both legs of the televised fundraiser. Traveling between countries on Concorde, Collins left directly after performing a string of hits with Sting in London to travel to Philadelphia to perform with Led Zep. The vetoed performance includes classics such as ‘Rock & Roll’, ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and ‘Stairway To Heaven’.

While a spokeswoman for the band couldn't confirm exactly why the band would not be appearing on the DVD, she did note that "I don't think it is because they don't like appearing on compilations."

The DVD is set to feature 10 hours of footage and will be released just before Christmas on November 1. The Live Aid concerts, organised by Bob Geldof to raise money to provide aid devastating famine in Africa, were staged at Wembley and Philadelphia’s JFK Stadiums on Saturday July 13 1985.

turboblues
08-07-2004, 08:20 PM
From what I remember, there were two drummers doing the job in unison. Who was the other one? Anybody?

pete
08-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Jimmy was out of tune.
His performance was far from stellar.

I think that's a good reason.

PHOENIX
08-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by turboblues
From what I remember, there were two drummers doing the job in unison. Who was the other one? Anybody?

The other was the black guy who drummed for Power Station i believe. I may be wrong though.

turboblues
08-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
The other was the black guy who drummed for Power Station i believe. I may be wrong though. I think you're right, cause he was definitely black! By the way there was some sloppy playing by Page.

WACF
08-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Tony thompson was the guy...drummer for power station also.

ALinChainz
08-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Page, Plant's 'Unledded' Heading to DVD

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The long-awaited DVD of former Led Zeppelin mainmen Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's "Unledded" will be released Oct. 20, according to the project's mix engineer, Kevin Shirley.

The DVD captures Plant and Page's historic 1994 reunion for an "MTV Unplugged" broadcast, featuring stripped-down performances of such Led Zeppelin touchstones as "What Is and What Should Never Be," "No Quarter" and "Kashmir."

"The tapes were in a real mess -- nothing marked or labeled, and nothing to sync the audio to already edited video," Shirley wrote on his official Web site (http://www.cavemanproductions.com). "So it's been very cerebral on both left and right sides of the brain, as I weave (between) creativity and mathematical calculations to get audio running at a different speeds to lock to the picture."

Beyond enhanced audio, the DVD is tipped to feature as-yet-unannounced bonus content. Shirley previously worked with Page to assemble the material for last year's Zeppelin archival blowout in the form of the "Led Zeppelin" live DVD and triple-disc live album "How the West Was Won."

The VHS release of "Unledded" peaked at No. 4 on Billboard's Top Music Video chart. The accompanying Atlantic album has sold more than 1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Reuters/Billboard

pete
08-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
The other was the black guy who drummed for Power Station i believe. I may be wrong though.

You are correct.

RIP

tobinentinc
08-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Live Aid on DVD is awesome!

BruinJer
08-08-2004, 01:03 AM
I don't blame them.... Jimmy was about as drunk as I've ever seen a performer (without faking it) since DLR 2 years prior at the Us Festival!

FORD
08-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Thompson was doing a much better job on the Zep material than Collins was.

Not surprising at all that it took 2 drummers to replace Bonzo. Very surprising that the better of the two was a guy who used to play in a Disco band (Chic)

Of course Thompson's drumming on the Power Station album was kickass as well. Wonder if he and Bonzo discussed the Live Aid set when Tony crossed over? :(

turboblues
08-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Thompson was doing a much better job on the Zep material than Collins was.

Not surprising at all that it took 2 drummers to replace Bonzo. Very surprising that the better of the two was a guy who used to play in a Disco band (Chic)

Of course Thompson's drumming on the Power Station album was kickass as well. Wonder if he and Bonzo discussed the Live Aid set when Tony crossed over? :( Is he gone too?Never heard about that!

Figs
08-09-2004, 11:02 AM
MTV was Phil Collins crazy that year. He sat in with Tony Thompson and Zep and I think Eric Clapton and another drummer.

My favorite part was that along the bottom of the screen it read "Phil Collins, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones." Just the fact that they listed him first was a bunch of crap. I think they listed him first with everyone he "sat in" with.

He had a good sound, but was never a spectacular drummer anyway.

Matt White
08-10-2004, 10:58 PM
I can see why the ZEPs don't want that performance on there.....pretty awful. I've had LIVE AID on video tape for years and their's was a lame one.
For ANYBODY interested in LED ZEPPELIN....GO BUY that live DVD NOW!!! INFUCKINCREDIBLE!!!!! absolutely the best thing I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!:killer: :killer: :killer: I got goose bumps while watching it. It made me wish all the acrimony between DAVE and the Van Halens could be put asside to give the fans a TREASURE like this. A++++++++

Diver Down NJ
08-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Collins was an awesome drummer with an amazing groove.

Wayne L.
08-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I would like to see Led Zeppelin's reunion performance at Live Aid with Phil Collins taking over for the late, great John Bohnam since I saw only about 5 minutes of it on ABC because I didn't have MTV at the time as well as the reunited Black Sabbath but the last 3 hours were alright which I did see!