PDA

View Full Version : Dean goes nuts - loses his cool....again

BigBadBrian
01-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Audio Clip (http://www.drudgereport.com/dean.mp3)

Dean Loses It
Yes, the caucus — and his self-control, too.

Finishing third in a contest that just a few weeks earlier he had been expected to win handily is surely a setback for the campaign of Howard Dean. But in the long run, Dean's Iowa concession speech, in which he appeared to lose control of himself and began screaming at supporters — all in front of dozens of television cameras — may be even more damaging.

Dean's speech, delivered at his headquarters in Des Moines, stunned even some observers used to his displays of anger on the campaign trail. And in the days after the caucuses it is sure to spark discussion of Dean's emotional intensity and whether such intensity should be a disqualifying characteristic for a potential president.

The speech didn't start badly. Although Dean appeared oddly exuberant after what was an extraordinarily disappointing finish, that might easily be attributed to a politician's desire to put a publicly positive face on bad news. "You know something?" Dean asked his fans. "If you had told us one year ago that we were going to come in third in Iowa, we would have given anything for that."

That was a perfectly reasonable gloss for a candidate to put on unfavorable election results. But Dean quickly took on a red-faced, shouting, teeth-baring, air-punching demeanor unlike any of his performances during the campaign.

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire," he said, his voice rising. "We're going to South Carolina and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York. And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan. And then we're going to Washington, D.C. to take back the White House."

Then he let out a strange, extended, yelp that seemed to come from deep within him: "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

Dean resumed his roll of states. "We will not give up! We will not give up in New Hampshire! We will not give up in South Carolina! We will not give up in Arizona or New Mexico, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan! We will not quit now or ever! We'll earn our country back for ordinary Americans!"

As the crowd began to applaud, Dean recited still more states. "And we're going to win in Massachusetts! And North Carolina! And Missouri! And Arkansas! And Connecticut! And New York! And Ohio!" — the home states of Dean's rivals for the Democratic nomination.

At times in his speech, Dean's demeanor seemed that of a man who was not aware of how he looked to outside observers. In the last days of the Iowa contest he had undergone the extreme stress of a candidate losing control of a campaign he had once dominated. His reaction to the loss in Iowa brought to mind statements Dean made on January 8, in an interview with People magazine, in which Dean discussed the emotional difficulties he has sometimes had dealing with stressful situations.

In the interview, Dean discussed how, as a medical student, he encountered difficulties when he had to treat a nine year-old victim of a drive-by shooting. Dean denied suggestions that he froze up, but said, "I discovered that my really intense emotional empathy just made it hard for me to do the things that had to be done."

People reporter J. D. Heyman then asked about later anxiety attacks Dean had suffered. "What were those like?"

"It was not a big deal," Dean responded. "I was just anxious and I didn't know why."

"So it was a paralyzing — "

"No, not a bit," Dean answered. "I didn't miss a day of work. I didn't worry about what was going to happen. I just wasn't sure what was going on and then I traced it to my brother [who had disappeared in Laos]."

"Through counseling?" Heyman asked.

"Yeah," Dean said.

"Was it just talking it through or were you ever medicated?"

"No. It was just anxiety."

"Well, today, you say the word 'anxiety' and there are eight or nine different anti-anxiety drugs — " Heyman said.

Dean explained that he is "not a big fan of most anti-anxiety drugs." He said he occasionally takes "stuff for sleep," but "anti-anxiety drugs and sleep drugs were essentially the same thing when I was practicing. And my experience was whenever I took a sleeping pill, there would be rebound insomnia and so I didn't like to take them."

Heyman asked, "And since then, it was as if you went in, you took care of the problem and that has never been a problem since?:

"No," said Dean. "That was in the early eighties."

"It sounds as if you had a little bit of an anxiety attack when you got the word that you were now governor," Heyman said.

"I did," Dean answered. " I hyperventilated and I started hyperventilating and I thought, 'You better stop that or you won't be much good to anybody.'"

"Has that happened since, or before?"

"No."

"Why was that such a — "

"To suddenly get told that you have responsibility for 600,000 people — it provokes a little anxiety."

"But now you're asking for responsibility for 250 million and then, the global reach of the U.S. presidency. That doesn't provoke a little anxiety?"

"No," Dean answered. "I mean I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't — First of all, I think everybody has a little anxiety when they approach a job like that." Dean then explained that as a doctor and as governor, he had made many hard decisions, sometimes involving life and death.

Throughout his campaign, Dean has been an emotionally volatile candidate. He has made anger a feature of his campaign, with the exception of a few days toward the end of the Iowa contest when he tried to adopt a more statesmanlike approach (a strategy he soon abandoned). In the face of questions about his tone, Dean denied that he was angry and claimed that his campaign was in fact about hope. But now, following his nearly over-the-top performance in his concession speech, the questions will return.

BigBadBrian
01-20-2004, 02:08 PM
This man is a nut!!!

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040120/i/r1692326033.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040120/capt.pcs11001200429.democrats_dean_pcs110.jpg

Cathedral
01-20-2004, 03:18 PM
He has a killer James Hetfield face, don't he?

I can hear him singing "Searching....Seek and Destroy"

Lou
01-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah he'll win MA and NC...tell me he doesn't actually believe that, right.

Sarge
01-20-2004, 05:16 PM
HE makes some funny ass faces... sometimes even worse than bush!

knuckleboner
01-20-2004, 05:30 PM
what?!? no virginia?! we're not good enough for you? we're like the 5th primary.

fuck you, dean. guess my vote's going for sharpton...

Dr. Love
01-20-2004, 05:39 PM
man, I missed that? It sounds fucking hilarious.

I have to go see if it's on the net somewhere.

FORD
01-20-2004, 05:49 PM
At least his face doesn't look like Lurch or Mr fucking Ed like Senator Judas IsKerryot (R- Skull & Bones)

BigBadBrian
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Why can't Howie just stop in to Sears and get some short-sleeved shirts, for cryin' out loud?

BigBadBrian
01-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
what?!? no virginia?! we're not good enough for you? we're like the 5th primary.

fuck you, dean. guess my vote's going for sharpton...

I'm still debating on whom I will vote for.

John Ashcroft
01-20-2004, 09:00 PM
I actually thought he sounded like Vince McMahon. Not early announcer Vince, but tyrant boss, steroid addict Vince. Give it another listen to see if you agree...

Little Texan
01-20-2004, 09:52 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040120/capt.pcs11001200429.democrats_dean_pcs110
"Triple H, your ass is going down next, then the Big Show, then Goldberg, then the Rock! I'm taking all you candy-ass motherfuckers down! YAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucky wilbury
01-20-2004, 10:45 PM
everyone you've got it all wrong on dean! to quote one of the guys on around the horn he's the macho man randy savage! or when he wears those sweaters of his to quote jay leno he's mr rogers with rabies

alexpgrimes
01-20-2004, 11:17 PM
He didn't sound like he was going nuts. Just alittle excited.

Cathedral
01-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Ooooops, in his excitement he forgot to mention the last stop on his crusade.....Loserville.

He screams like a girl, huh huh uhhhhh huh...

That must be because his wife screams like a man...hey, ya gotta have balance in a marriage when you marry and ugly woman. an ugly woman will take the life right out of you, until they find someone uglier than themselves and they leave you...

alexpgrimes
01-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Got anymore quotes from RoadHouse??? lol

Cathedral
01-21-2004, 03:01 AM
Red was a riot......................

knuckleboner
01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

same here. i THINK right now i'm leaning towards edwards. but i'm still looking at them.

(but let's not forget, lyndon larouche is the primary:D)

Catfish
01-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Man, this guy's a real DICK!

Catfish
01-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I bet this nutcase is just like Gay Davis used to be: screaming at people in his office, throwing coffee mugs, grabbing ladies (old and young) in the office by the shoulders and shaking them... A complete failure when it comes to dealing with adversity.

Oh, yeah, I want THIS GUY to lead the nation!

FORD
01-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
same here. i THINK right now i'm leaning towards edwards. but i'm still looking at them.

(but let's not forget, lyndon larouche is the primary:D)

LaRouche is a certifiable lunatic, but at least he's not DLC, PNAC, or Skull & Bones. Edwards is my second choice. He's got more experience than Dipshit did going in, but I worry about his chances in the General Election. I'm with Dean until there's a valid reason not to be. Right now he's no more out of the picture than Reagan, Clinton, or Bush Sr were after Iowa.

BrownSound1
01-21-2004, 12:16 PM
I think Howard need's to get whatever Ted Kennedy's having. ;)

High Life Man
01-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Dean forgot to mention Poland!

:D

And they call Bush a Hitler.

Did anyone see Letterman last night when they showed the clip and then his head exploded?

That womanly scream you heard was the sound of a campaign going into shutdown mode.

Guitar Shark
01-21-2004, 01:17 PM

Bush... Bush... or Bush? Hmm...

Dr. Love
01-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Bush... Bush... or Bush? Hmm...

:D

BigBadBrian
01-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
I think Howard need's to get whatever Ted Kennedy's having. ;)

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/picturejokes/12713.jpg

lucky wilbury
01-21-2004, 06:48 PM
i don't know why people are going for edwards he's a lawyer and a trial lawyer at that. and shouldn't everyone know that someone with the name edward shouldn't be trusted?

alexpgrimes
01-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Red was a riot...................... Yes he was Emmitt was pretty funny too..

diamondD
01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/picturejokes/12713.jpg

LOL! Classic! :D

diamondD
01-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
man, I missed that? It sounds fucking hilarious.

I have to go see if it's on the net somewhere.

You ever find it? It's on CBS online.

WTF was that yelp? Sounded like a cat getting run over. :eek: