PDA

View Full Version : She had to be surgically removed from her couch!

Ally_Kat
08-11-2004, 07:21 PM
600-Pound Woman Dies After Being Surgically Removed From Couch

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0811/3643906.jpg

POSTED: 3:48 pm EDT August 11, 2004
UPDATED: 5:09 pm EDT August 11, 2004

STUART, Fla. -- A dramatic rescue ended tragically in Stuart, Florida, a rescue so difficult firefighters say they have never seen anything like it

It happened late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning at the home of a 600-pound woman who was having trouble breathing. Rescuers went in not knowing how difficult it would be to get her out. 40-year-old Gail Grinds was literally stuck to her couch and had to be removed surgically at the hospital.

Authorities estimate she had been on the couch anywhere from two to five years.

Martin County Fire amd Rescue crews faced what seemed to be an impossible mission. Everyone going inside had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

They tried to cut out the front door, but at four-and-a-half feet wide, it wouldn't work. They had to cut plywood since a normal stretcher wouldn't do.

An ambulance was too small, so they brought in a trailer to get her out. While rescue crews came up with a back-door rescue plan, detectives secured what had become a crime scene, questioning family members about how it got so bad.

Using planks, they loaded the woman on to the trailer, still attached to the couch. Removing her would be too painful, since her body is grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin has literally become one with the sofa and it must be surgically removed.

Detectives are investigating whether they have a case of neglect, or if it is simply a very sad story.

Grinds was taken to the Martin Memorial hospital where doctors removed her from the couch, but she died in spite of all the attempts to save her life.

Copyright 2004 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

JCOOK
08-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Roys' mom

Guitar Shark
08-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Is there a link to this article?

Flash Bastard
08-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html

Rebel
08-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Damn, that's too sad, her family should be locked up.

Ally_Kat
08-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Did you think I would pass false news as legit?

Guitar Shark
08-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Did you think I would pass false news as legit?

Nope, actually I wanted to pass it along to a few friends of mine. This stuff is amazing!! Thanks for the link

Hummarstra
08-13-2004, 03:18 AM
More info in this updated version.
--------------------------
480-Pound Woman Dies After Six Years On Couch

POSTED: 3:48 pm EDT August 11, 2004
UPDATED: 10:33 am EDT August 12, 2004
WEIRD PHOTOS: News Of The Strange Slideshow

STUART, Fla. -- A 480-pound Martin County woman has died after emergency workers tried to remove her from the couch where she had remained for about six years.

CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE
Gayle Laverne Grinds, 40, died Wednesday, after a failed six-hour effort to dislodge her from the couch in her home. Workers say the home was filthy, and Grinds was too large to get up from the couch to even use the bathroom.

Everyone going inside the home had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

Not weird enough?
Read more strange news
LOOK! Strange News Photos

A preliminary autopsy on the the four-foot, ten-inch woman lists the cause of death as "morbid obesity." But officials want to know more about the circumstances inside the home.

STRANGE PHOTOS
WEIRD! Check out 99 incredibly unusual photos -- from a bizarre fight to two cloned kittens and more!

Investigators say Grinds lived with a man named Herman Thomas, who says he tried to take care of her the best he could. He has told them he tried repeatedly to get her up, but simply couldn't. No charges have been filed, but officials are looking into negligence issues.

Emergency workers had to remove some sliding glass doors and lift the couch, with Grinds still on it, to a trailer behind a pickup truck. Removing her from the couch would be too painful, since her body was grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin had literally become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed.

She died at Martin Memorial Hospital South, still attached to the couch.

Neighbors say they had no idea Grinds lived at the duplex, though they had seen Thomas and some children outside.

Copyright 2004 by WFTV.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Bill Lumbergh
08-13-2004, 03:22 AM
So she just shit and pissed on herself all day long for 6 years?! I wonder if that guy who lived with her tried to fuck her........."Hey baby, can I use a couple folds tonight?"

Hummarstra
08-13-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
So she just shit and pissed on herself all day long for 6 years?! I wonder if that guy who lived with her tried to fuck her........."Hey baby, can I use a couple folds tonight?" Ouch, man! That is harsh!!LOL

WACF
08-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Unreal....can't imagine sitting there that long.
You would thing the call of nature would of gotten her up.

WolfStar999
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Right. Note to self: Running & Weights this afternoon. No excuses.

DeadOrAlive
08-20-2004, 02:00 AM
I remember this! I saw it on Fox News about a week ago!