PDA

View Full Version : Someone tell me these comments were taken out of context...

Mr Grimsdale
08-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Moore embarrasses new CIA chief (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3560484.stm)

US Congressman Porter Goss, nominated to be the new director of the CIA, may be talking himself out of the job, according to film-maker Michael Moore.
Moore, who directed the film Fahrenheit 9/11, has released an interview with Mr Goss in which he says he lacks the qualifications for the top spy post.

"I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified," Mr Goss told Moore's production company in March.

The White House has dismissed the interview as "ridiculous hearsay".

The interview did not make it into the final edit of the film, which criticises President George W Bush's policy on Iraq.

But following Mr Goss's nomination by the president, Moore has released the transcript and video excerpt on his website.

"I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably," Mr Goss says on the video.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad, you got to get better on your computer.'

"So, the things that you need to have, I don't have."

Bush's choice

Mr Goss, 65, is a former officer with US army intelligence and the CIA.

He represents a Florida district and has served in Congress since 1989.

Announcing the appointment on Tuesday, Mr Bush said Mr Goss was the "right man" to head the agency.

"Porter Goss is a leader with strong experience in intelligence and in fighting against terrorism," he said.

Mr Goss is due to replace former director George Tenet, who stood down, citing personal reasons, before the commission investigating the 11 September 2001 attacks issued its report.

The bi-partisan panel blamed intelligence bodies, including the CIA, for failing to predict or avert the hijackings.

John Ashcroft
08-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Don't know. But I dare say his language and/or computer skills are irrelevant to actually leading the CIA. I highly doubt that the director sits in the same basements as the linguists, analyzing intercepts...

As long as the dude recognizes the importance of upgrading the CIA's computer gear, and recognizes that they need more arab linguists, what's the problem?

We've got a bunch of tech types around here no? So, are all your bosses the most technically competent person in your buildings? Mine can't even install a NIC, and we teach an ICND based course. But he recognizes that his day of being the technical expert are long over, and relies on us to work the nuts and bolts. He states the vision, we make it happen. I believe this is quite a normal setup...

BigBadBrian
08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Mr Moore is going to have an "accident" very shortly if he isn't careful. ;)

Seriously, this Moore guy is a bigger conspiracy theory retard than FORD is. Porter Goss is an ex-CIA field agent with serious credentials. He has been hailed by both sides of the political aisle. :gulp:

John Ashcroft
08-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Including Nancy Pelosi, uh.... I mean, before she actually flipped her position (ala "the New JFK"), and said he's unqualified.

Man these people are simply losing it. It's so funny to watch. The whole Democratic party is imploding.

FORD
08-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Porter Goss is old school BCE/CIA Florida machine, so his appointment is hardly surprising.

Qualified? Dunno.... what exactly are the qualifications for supervising a bunch of drug peddling terrorist funding tools of the "military industrial complex"

Shit, some CIA agents can't even spell "wasn't" correctly ;)

FORD
08-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Mr Moore is going to have an "accident" very shortly if he isn't careful. ;)

And the fact that you would even joke about such a thing is proof that the BCE has gotten away with far too much already. :(

Seriously, this Moore guy is a bigger conspiracy theory retard than FORD is.

Nah, I think I'm taller.

BigBadBrian
08-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Nah, I think I'm taller.

Probably fatter, also.

JCOOK
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
FORD- All that acid is gonna come back to haunt you-- go smoke a joint and drink some orange juice

FORD
08-13-2004, 10:55 AM
I haven't touched acid since 1991 and haven't smoked dope in 3 years. I'm completely sober. What's your excuse?

JCOOK
08-13-2004, 11:00 AM
The KCE implanted a device in my brain -- through my cell phone-- and now im hearing voices... mostly asking "Kenneth what is the frequency?" Please help!

John Ashcroft
08-13-2004, 12:17 PM
heh heh heh... Always bringing the smiles.

Big Train
08-13-2004, 12:28 PM
I actually find it refreshing that the guy is honest about his limitations. CIA director is more of a political position than a technical one. I'm sure the question Bassette hound voice posed to him asked if he could work there today, in the low level sense.

And according to Ford, you need to be able to count (all the drug $$).

Keeyth
08-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
But he recognizes that his day of being the technical expert are long over, and relies on us to work the nuts and bolts. He states the vision, we make it happen. I believe this is quite a normal setup...

For a mid-size business maybe. We're talking about running the greatest country in the world here. The largest world power there is. In a time of great danger, no less. I'm sorry, but we need experts from the top down. With your attitude, it's no wonder you support Bush. Lay down and go back to sleep. It will all be over soon.

John Ashcroft
08-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Dude, weak.

Are you sure you even think before you post?

You should try it once in a while.

Keeyth
08-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Wow. THAT was powerful...

LoungeMachine
08-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Dude, weak.

Are you sure you even think before you post?

You should try it once in a while.

condescending as ever I see, johnnie

such an admiral trait.

This coming from the same guy who tried debating me with "take the cock out of your mouth" and "you're my bitch"

How long do you stay up at night thinking those up?

Why should we expect EXCELLENCE in a DCI from this administration, when the leader himself can't reach the bar.

Of course the last DCI called the WMD intel a "slam dunk"

rustoffa
08-14-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
Moore embarrasses new CIA chief (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3560484.stm)

"I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified," Mr Goss told Moore's production company in March.

"I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably," Mr Goss says on the video.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad, you got to get better on your computer.'

Bush's choice

I'll take my pennance for editing Grimsdale's post at a later date.
This is fucking laughable.

IT'S FUCKING BROADWAY.

A "former" (no such thing) CIA/Intelligence robot doesn't say things like that in any context upon penalty of lord knows what.

Technical skills? That motherfucker was pulling vaccum lines offa computers the size of the Biltmore estate while dehydrated ruskies floated around the Van Allen Belt.

WolfStar999
08-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale

US Congressman Porter Goss, nominated to be the new director of the CIA, may be talking himself out of the job, according to film-maker Michael Moore.
Moore, who directed the film Fahrenheit 9/11, has released an interview with Mr Goss in which he says he lacks the qualifications for the top spy post.

The interview did not make it into the final edit of the film, which criticises President George W Bush's policy on Iraq.

But following Mr Goss's nomination by the president, Moore has released the transcript and video excerpt on his website.

Bush's choice

He represents a Florida district and has served in Congress since 1989.

Announcing the appointment on Tuesday, Mr Bush said Mr Goss was the "right man" to head the agency.

"Porter Goss is a leader with strong experience in intelligence and in fighting against terrorism," he said.

Mr Goss is due to replace former director George Tenet, who stood down, citing personal reasons, before the commission investigating the 11 September 2001 attacks issued its report.

The bi-partisan panel blamed intelligence bodies, including the CIA, for failing to predict or avert the hijackings.

And people wonder why I'm nervous all the time! Thanx again, President Shrub!