PDA

View Full Version : who's sharing in this pain?

Ally_Kat
01-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Extreme Cold Forecast in U.S. Over Next 2-3 Weeks
By Bernard Woodall

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The United States east of the Rocky Mountains will see extreme cold in the next two to three weeks with at least one forecaster calling it the coldest in 25 years, meteorologists said on Tuesday.

"In the next six to 10 days, it will be colder than normal north of a line from Washington, D.C., to Denver," said Joe Bastardi of AccuWeather. "In the next 15 to 20 days, everybody is extremely cold.

"In the worst-case scenario, in much of the energy- consuming areas of the country, from the Rockies to New England, you can look at the coldest 10- to 20-day periods since the winters of 1977 and 1978," Bastardi said.

Crude oil and heating oil prices were up partly on colder forecasts than last Friday when the markets were last open, oil industry analysts said on Tuesday. Heating oil futures hit $1.0250 a gallon, up 4.5 percent, with crude oil hitting a high of $36.37 a barrel, up 3.7 percent. That was the highest price since March 17, days before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

Natural gas futures hit a high of $6.32 per million British thermal units, up 6.2 percent, with the link to weather more clear, energy traders and analysts said.

Bastardi points out that he correctly predicted several weeks ago that New England would experience its lowest temperatures since 1994 or 1996, and that proved correct.

Not all forecasters agree, including some meteorologists who work with Bastardi at AccuWeather in State College, Pennsylvania.

Another viewpoint comes from forecaster World Weather Inc., who said the eastern United States will be cooler in the first week of February, but that extreme cold is not very likely, according to a Gulf Coast energy trader.

Chris Hyde, meteorologist with EarthSat forecasters, also said the next two to three weeks will be colder than normal, but he did not say whether temperatures will be as low as 1977 or 1978.

"The more notable change versus last week's forecast is across the Midwest," Hyde said. "The Boston-to-Washington, D.C., corridor will continue to hang tough with the chilly readings with little volatility."

The National Weather Service is predicting that Friday, the Midwest and Northeast will have temperatures 8 degrees Fahrenheit to 12 degrees F below normal, with Jan. 27 still showing below-normal temperatures for northern New England and with temperatures near normal for New York City.

Forecaster Meteorlogix said the five-day outlook for the Northeast shows up to 12 degrees F below normal by Wednesday and up to 15 degrees F below normal by Saturday. In the same time period, the Midwest will be up to 10 degrees F below normal on Wednesday and up to 4 degrees F below normal on Saturday.

The six- to 10-day forecast shows "below normal" temperatures for the Northeast and northern part of the Midwest, Meteorlogix said on Tuesday.

Here is a capsule of EarthSat's temperature forecasts:

Six to 10 days:

New England: Much below normal (same forecast as last Friday)

Mid Atlantic: Below normal (same forecast as last Friday)

Midwest: Much below (versus below normal last Friday)

Ohio Valley: Normal (same)

Oklahoma/Texas: Seasonal to above normal (same)

11- to 15-Day Forecast:

Northeast: Much below normal in northern New England, below normal elsewhere (same)

Mid Atlantic: Below normal (same, but bigger area considered below normal)

Midwest: Below normal (versus normal last Friday)

Oklahoma/Texas: Seasonal to above normal (warmer than last Friday)

Ally_Kat
01-21-2004, 12:29 AM
I thought last year was bad cuz we had mini iceburgs floating in the East River. Well my friends, I can report to you today that the river is almost completely frozen over. This is the first time in my life I've seen it like that. Damn.

How bad is it by the rest of y'all?

twonabomber
01-21-2004, 01:57 AM
right now (about 1:45 am) it's 11 degrees, 1 above with the wind chill. it was 18 degrees or so during the day...and it's snowed every day since Friday. i haven't been up toward the lake, but i'm sure it's frozen along the shoreline.

SensibleShoes
01-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Our weather nazis are predicting weather close to as bad as the infamous blizzard of 77. I never minded that - I was stuck in my dorm - kegs of beer - men - 3 week long party - yeah that just SUCKED

knuckleboner
01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
i'm a ski bum. my only pain is when the temps creep above freezing. sorry!

lionsfan
01-21-2004, 02:11 PM
www.weather.com

Current Conditions

http://image.weather.com/web/common/noscrape/52/28.gif 68°F
Mostly Cloudy

Feels Like
68°F

UV Index: 3 Low
Dew Point: 59°F
Humidity: 73%
Visibility: Unlimited
Pressure: 30.11 inches and falling
Wind: From the West at 7 mph
--------------------------------

I'm freezing my butt off over here! http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/other/loki3.gif

twonabomber
01-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Currently:
Cleveland Hopkins: 21.2°F
Akron-Canton airport: 19.4°F

Tonight:
Lake Effect Snow Watch,
1"-3" + possible
near 15°

but hey, the pollen count is 0! :D

thekeek
01-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I live in Buffalo- nuff said.........

Sarge
01-21-2004, 03:09 PM
It's cold for Texas

50°F
Cloudy Feels Like
50°F

UV Index: 1 Minimal
Dew Point: 37°F
Humidity: 62%
Pressure: 30.31 inches and steady
Wind: Variable at 1 mph

Yesterday's Weather

As reported at Hood AAF, TX Last Updated Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 12:55 PM Central Standard Time (Wednesday, 1:55 PM EST).

Sarge
01-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by lionsfan

I'm freezing my butt off over here! http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/other/loki3.gif [/B]
Lionsfan
Where is pembroke pines at?

I am from Winter Haven Florida.. near Orlando..
Sarge

Full Bug
01-21-2004, 03:23 PM
You people dont know shit about cold, its been -20 with a wind chill of -45 here for the last 2 weeks, now thats cold, my friends down south dont know what cold really is......;) :D

Bob_R
01-21-2004, 03:25 PM
27°F
Partly Cloudy Feels Like
18°F

Dew Point: 4°F
Humidity: 29%
Pressure: 30.04 inches and falling
Wind: From the North Northwest at 9 mph

Sarge
01-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
my friends down south dont know what cold really is......;) :D

We don't know what cold is all aboot eh?

Dr. Love
01-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
It's cold for Texas

50°F
Cloudy Feels Like
50°F

Dew Point: 37°F
Humidity: 62%
Pressure: 30.31 inches and steady
Wind: Variable at 1 mph

Yesterday's Weather

As reported at Hood AAF, TX Last Updated Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 12:55 PM Central Standard Time (Wednesday, 1:55 PM EST).

Texas is great this time of year. :cool:

Where's Fort Hood at? Is that in Killeen?

Sarge
01-21-2004, 04:58 PM
yeah... Killeen I was in San Antonio for 5 months May-Oct of 03 at Brooke Army Medical Center..

That place is great.
I love Texas.. lots of senoritas!

twonabomber
01-21-2004, 07:17 PM
50 degrees, i'd be wearin' shorts. a bit too cool to have the top down on the Jeep, though.

alexpgrimes
01-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
right now (about 1:45 am) it's 11 degrees, 1 above with the wind chill. it was 18 degrees or so during the day...and it's snowed every day since Friday. i haven't been up toward the lake, but i'm sure it's frozen along the shoreline. Trust me it's not any better up here by the lake...lol

FORD
01-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
You people dont know shit about cold, its been -20 with a wind chill of -45 here for the last 2 weeks, now thats cold, my friends down south dont know what cold really is......;) :D

DISCLAIMER - Remember, Canadians use the metric system, so that's not really as cold as it sounds :D

lionsfan
01-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
Lionsfan
Where is pembroke pines at?

I am from Winter Haven Florida.. near Orlando..
Sarge

It's in S. Florida, right between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. :cool:

twonabomber
01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
six to twelve mo' inches of snow tonight!