PDA

View Full Version : A Bush Win Would Complete the Hat Trick

FORD
08-14-2004, 12:38 AM
A Bush Win Would Complete the Hat Trick – White House, Legislative and Judicial

August 13, 2004
by Dan Gougherty

During his acceptance speech, Democratic nominee Sen. John Kerry did not touch on what is one of the president's most crucial and longest-lasting legacies, the appointment of federal judges.

Constitutionally, the president is obliged and eager to make appointments to the district, appellate and Supreme courts. This is one area where a president's footprint can linger will beyond the end of their term, not to mention their life.

Consider this: although Richard Nixon resigned from office a disgraced president, his last appointment to the bench, William Rehnquist, has been on the high court for over 30 years. Also consider the fact that the only president in recent history not to make an appointment to the Supreme Court was Jimmy Carter.

Until George W. Bush that is.

While our country has suffered through what history will surely rate as one of the most corrupt and dishonest administrations, Bush has not had the opportunity to appoint someone to the nation's highest court. For whatever reason, perhaps a guilty conscience from Bush v. Gore, none of the current justices has decided to hang up the robe. According to court watchers, the three most likely candidates to retire are Rehnquist, Sandra Day O'Connor and John Paul Stevens.

While we have dodged the bullet so far, given no one has retired during this administration, we know what we could be in store for with a Bush appointment.

First of all, Bush has said he would like to appoint someone in the mold of Justice Antonin Scalia. This is the same justice who refused to recuse himself from the Dick Cheney energy task force case even though he accompanied the veep on a duck hunting trip to Louisiana prior to hearing that case.

Beyond that, one of the best indications of who Bush would like to see on the Supreme Court can be seen through appellate court appointments. Four come to mind.

At the top of the list is Charles Pickering. The avowed racist is currently serving on the Fifth Appellate Court only after Bush gave him a recess appointment. Pickering is right in line with the Bush administration's philosophy of voter disenfranchisement. As a federal judge Pickering criticized, among other American values, the "one-person, one-vote"principle.

The next one would be Eleventh Appellate Court nominee and former Alabama Attorney General William Pryor, who like Pickering has received a recess appointment. Aside from the usual list of rights he would like to see squashed, Pryor has a proclivity for denying rights to gays and lesbians. Pryor was in favor of upholding Texas' so-called "Homosexual Conduct Law"that the court recently reversed.

Then there's Miguel Estrada whose nomination was tied up sufficiently by senate Democrats such that Estrada withdrew his name. Described as Bush's stealth nominee, Estrada refused to answer several routine questions from senators regarding his judicial philosophy.

This stonewalling was part of his unsuccessful attempt to mask whatever his true agenda was. It is not too hard to guess what he was hiding. Can you imagine going to a job interview and refusing to answer the interviewer's questions? Apparently Estrada, like much of the Bush administration, thought he could dispense with such frivolity.

Perhaps the most egregious is Janice Rogers Brown. The California jurist, who has been described as to the right of Clarence Thomas and Scalia, has a long and storied record of working to deny rights to various minorities and an open hostility to environmental issues.

Notwithstanding her extreme right-wing agenda, when Rogers Brown was nominated to her current position on the California Supreme Court by Republican Governor Pete Wilson, she was found unqualified by the state bar evaluation committee. With a little intestinal fortitude, senate Democrats will succeed with their filibuster on this nomination.

While it can be argued that some Republican presidential appointments to the court can become surprisingly enlightened - Earl Warren and George H.W. Bush's appointment of David Souter come to mind - there is one big difference: they were appointed by Republicans, not a neo-conservative.

We need to keep in mind who we want making these crucial appointments in the next four years – appointments that will far outlive either a second Bush administration or Kerry's first.

Visit Dan Gougherty's blog at www.ltobs.blogspot.com

Pink Spider
08-14-2004, 06:58 AM
If Kerry would act like a real democrat, then he might just get enough votes to win.

The problem isn't Bush. The problem is that the Democrats are too easy to roll over. They could have stopped Bush in his tracks from the very beginning, but chose not to. If they would rejoin reality and move back to the left where they belong, then you would see a mass exodus of Republicans for a long time to come.

FORD
08-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Can't argue with that :(

DLR'sCock
08-14-2004, 12:27 PM
I agree...

Warham
08-15-2004, 09:41 AM
No, the reason that Democrats won't say they are left is one word: LIBERAL. Kerry refuses to call himself that just like every other Democrat. They know that 20% of the country considers themselves liberal, 40% moderate, and the other 40% conservative. Democrats need to stay close to the center to get most of that moderate vote.

FORD
08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
I don't know where you got those numbers, but they are way off. Reality is that the majority of Americans support "liberal" positions, whether they call themselves liberals or not.

As for Kerry refusing to call himself a liberal, that's just being honest. While the right wing Bush media wastes time attacking Kerry for things he did and said in 1971 (while crying endlessly and hypocritically about anyone looking into Junior's past) what they never tell you is just how far to the right most of Kerry's votes have been in the last decade or so, and most definitely since the Coup in Florida.

Pink Spider
08-15-2004, 11:22 AM
It goes beyond the conservative/liberal bait and switch game that the two parties play.

You can't just neatly divvy up the people into moderate, liberal and conservative. Its absurd to even try since there is no clear definition of what any of those mean any more.

I could say that Badnarik is more liberal than Kerry because of his stance on the issues and Badnarik is no doubt considered a conservative by most people.

Its become more of a tactic to divide us up and 'neatly' put us into our little groups. Then once there, no one will bother to listen to what you have to say, if you don't go along with what the party says.

In fact I think that you can't put people in groups at all. There are neo-cons and neo-liberals which should rightly be called corporatists. That's one label that's easy to define. Perhaps I should have phrased it better than a move to the "left". They should move away from their corporate backers. So should the Republicans.

diamondD
08-15-2004, 12:48 PM
It maybe be a hell of a lot more liberal in the Pacific NW Dave, but it's not like that in the South. Moderates and conservatives far outnumber the liberals.

I would be curious about what liberal positions you think are supported by most Americans. Abortion rights I can see going 50/50. What others are you talking about? Gay marriage? Please...

FORD
08-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
It maybe be a hell of a lot more liberal in the Pacific NW Dave, but it's not like that in the South. Moderates and conservatives far outnumber the liberals.

I would be curious about what liberal positions you think are supported by most Americans. Abortion rights I can see going 50/50. What others are you talking about? Gay marriage? Please...

Depends on how you frame the debate. Except for the obvious Fred Phelps types who can't get past pure irrational hatred, the majority of Americans, even right wing conservatives, probably couldn't come up with a rational objection to committed gay couples having all the legal rights of a married heterosexual couple. The religious concept of "marriage" is the conflict for many people, and the extreme right uses that to scare people with exaggerated visions of "drag queens in white dresses taking over their church" or whatever.

In any case, gay marriage is used as wedge issue, especially now when the BCE doesn't have anything to run on, given their failures.

The majority of Americans believe the Patriot Act is a bad thing, and that our civil liberties are in serious jeopardy.

The majority of Americans believe that the environment needs to be defended for the good of everyone.

The majority of Americans believe that health care isin serious need of reform, and that insurance premiums are spiraling out of control, as are prescription drug costs.

The majority of Americans don't believe the oil companies excuses for gas prices.

The majority of Americans are appalled by Enron & Halliburton defrauding billions of dollars from the American people.

The majority of Americans recognize that the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" is growing in this country and that the BCE's policies aren't helping.

There's just a few things off the top of my head. There's a lot more I could mention.

DLR'sCock
08-15-2004, 04:55 PM
I would say a majority of Americans would like to work at jobs where they can earn a "self-respecting" pay scale...but as time goes by, well we all know that story...

JCOOK
08-16-2004, 01:59 PM
God do I love to watch liberals cry