PDA

View Full Version : Fender - Heavy Metal Strat

Panamark
01-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Has anyone here played one of the Fender Heavy metal
strats ? I believe they were released in the late eighties / early nineties to combat Charvel/Ibanez etc. Ive just seen one on ebay in Australia at a very cheap price. Whats the go ? Are they a piece of shit or what ? From the photo looks like its got a decent trem system and pickup arrangement.

Mr Badguy
01-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Never seen one of those.

Is it like a normal strat only with humbuckers and a locking trem?

Who made them?

I do remember a lot of the one pick-up EVH/heavy metal style guitars of that era.

Panamark
01-21-2004, 07:34 AM
They are made by Fender. But look more like a Charvel/Ibanez. Mean looking guitar with humbuckers and locking trem. Like a souped up strat.

Panamark
01-21-2004, 07:35 AM
I can get one really cheap (about $600 AUS) but wanted to know if anyone has actually played one. Looks pretty cool. (Long drive to the music shop that has it)

ELVIS
01-21-2004, 08:32 AM
FENDER HEAVY METAL STRAT

Model Year: 1989
Price Paid: $350 w/OHSC

Performance: This is the model known as the Heavy Metal Strat. It was, at the time, Fender's answer to the Charvel/Ibanez/ Jackson etc. Super Strats. How does this bad boy perform? It is one of the best playing guitars I've picked up. Period. The Kahler Spyder trem works flawlessly, neck plays like butter. The slightly smaller body is very comfortable. The HSS pick-up set-up offers every sound you could possibly need. This has become my main axe. I'm looking for more.
Performance Rating: 5

Sound Quality: Well rounded sound. Humbucker in the bridge is fairly hot, nice and bassy. The single coils in middle/neck positions offer all the good Strat sounds, out of phase and SRV neck sounds. Very versatile.
Sound Quality Rating: 4

Construction/Reliability: Flawless construction. Alder body, Maple/rosewood neck, all joints tight, great weight, top notch. Holds a setup and stays in tune, even under whammy abuse conditions. Like I said before, I'm looking for more before all the nice ones (like this in mint condition) are gone.
Construction/Reliability Rating: 5

ELVIS
01-21-2004, 08:33 AM
http://www.vintagefret.com/images/10490.1.jpg

Mr Badguy
01-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Looks good and, judging by the review Elvis posted, sounds good.

Strange that they never took off in a big way, though.

Crowded marketplace, maybe.

Panamark
01-21-2004, 03:59 PM
G'day Mate !

If anyone would own one of these it would have to be you. Do you have one amongst your collection ? That review you posted doesnt seem to be your words ? Was wondering how they sound and play versus a standard strat. (Which I like) Looks like they have got the extra frets too.

Have you played one yourself ?

Originally posted by ELVIS
FENDER HEAVY METAL STRAT

Model Year: 1989
Price Paid: $350 w/OHSC

Performance: This is the model known as the Heavy Metal Strat. It was, at the time, Fender's answer to the Charvel/Ibanez/ Jackson etc. Super Strats. How does this bad boy perform? It is one of the best playing guitars I've picked up. Period. The Kahler Spyder trem works flawlessly, neck plays like butter. The slightly smaller body is very comfortable. The HSS pick-up set-up offers every sound you could possibly need. This has become my main axe. I'm looking for more.
Performance Rating: 5

Sound Quality: Well rounded sound. Humbucker in the bridge is fairly hot, nice and bassy. The single coils in middle/neck positions offer all the good Strat sounds, out of phase and SRV neck sounds. Very versatile.
Sound Quality Rating: 4

Construction/Reliability: Flawless construction. Alder body, Maple/rosewood neck, all joints tight, great weight, top notch. Holds a setup and stays in tune, even under whammy abuse conditions. Like I said before, I'm looking for more before all the nice ones (like this in mint condition) are gone.
Construction/Reliability Rating: 5

BigBadBrian
01-21-2004, 06:31 PM
These things sound like a Double Fat Strat w/ a Floyd Rose to me.

alexpgrimes
01-21-2004, 10:21 PM
I have a strat from 85. It has a floyd rose and one humbucker. It's pearl white. I haven't seen too many of them this color. As soon as I take some pics I'll post them. The guitar is in great shape. I've never had any problems with it.

Hecubus
01-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I have a Heavy Metal Strat & love it. I'm actually noodling on it right now. Mine has a 'hot rails' pickup in the bridge & it gives it a lot of versatility. With just my strat & my marshall I can get as crunchy as I want with the humbucker or as twangy as a tele with the center pickup. Great feel, great sound. Very easy to groove with.

I picked it up from my cousin for $150 (he got it new) and I plan on keeping it just because it's got a good vibe to it, and a very solid axe.
The Kahler trem is enough like the Floyd that you really can't tell the difference unless you're a pro, and it keeps it in tune very well. Mine has the rosewood fretboard, but I dig the one that Panamark put up with the maple one. It's got a few dings in it, but overall in damn good shape for being 15 years old & 2 owners.

I'm actually thinking about getting a fret job on it because they're pretty worn.

COOL FUCKING THREAD!! I thought these were Fenders' "lost models"!!
I guess I am pretty partial to it because it was my first electric. I think for that reason alone, I'll never part with it.

Hecubus
01-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
These things sound like a Double Fat Strat w/ a Floyd Rose to me.

I have a feeling that's what they call 'em now. I've gone thru catalog after catalog to see if I can find something comparable by Fender & the Fat Strats are pretty similar, just a different paintjob.

Hecubus
01-22-2004, 12:14 AM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=fender+heavy+metal+strat (http://)

Hopefully this works. Found these 2 on ebay.

ELVIS
01-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
G'day Mate !

Have you played one yourself ?

Hey!

I've never seen a lefty one, so no I have never really played one. I have examined a few and I did some work on one. They are built just as well as any good strat. They have jumbo frets and they stay in tune well.

The only thing I always hated was the silly STRAT logo splashed on the headstock...

I found that review online this morning...

G'day !!

:elvis:

Hecubus
01-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

The only thing I always hated was the silly STRAT logo splashed on the headstock...

Damn straight. Somewhat tacky, but it reeks "eighties"....

Mr Grimsdale
01-22-2004, 06:37 PM
greg howe always played them, i think he still does

Hecubus
01-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Not familiar with Greg Howe, dude...please elaborate

Mr Grimsdale
02-12-2004, 06:09 PM
http://www.greghowe.com/
very technically gifted shredder
has made several solo records since 1988 and joint ventures with other guitarists such as richie kotzen and marty friedman

does a lot of session work and...
played in justin timberlakes live band

it pays the bills

Panamark
02-13-2004, 08:35 AM
I missed out on the one on Ebay. But I would love to try one of these out, they look cool, (Apart from the Headstock as everyone has mentioned) but thats no big deal. I quite like the Kahler trems..
Hecubus mentioned a hot rails pickup, is the standard humbucker in these not that good ?

ThrillsNSpills
02-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks Grimsdale,

I was going to mention Greg Howe, listen to one of his albums to hear what the strat sounds like.

Ascend is a great album.

Greg Howe is based in Easton, Pennsylvania and is taking students.
He is unreal. I know someone who commutes from Connecticut to PA just to take lessons and says it's worth it. I believe him.

Triumph
02-15-2004, 05:31 PM
For $600 it is a great deal, for me to poop on.
I played one at work many times and it was my preferred geetar to fiddle with at break times. sounds really bitchin through a Marshall and has really good action from the factory. very quiet when in idle mode with volume all the way up. it is the only Stratocaster i find appealing. Triumph no like single coil geetars, except to poop on.

Hecubus
02-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I missed out on the one on Ebay. But I would love to try one of these out, they look cool, (Apart from the Headstock as everyone has mentioned) but thats no big deal. I quite like the Kahler trems..
Hecubus mentioned a hot rails pickup, is the standard humbucker in these not that good ?

You know, mine came with 'em, so I can ask the person I got it from if he put it in after factory. He was more of a heavy metal guy (Maiden, Metallica, Priest, & likes the buzzsaw) & I'm hard rock & dig the crunch, but the hot rails give a good sound doing both.

Panamark
02-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Thanks Hec, would be interesting to know. Ive never liked any fender pickups. I reckon its good if they put different ones in at the factory.

Hecubus
02-16-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm with, ya, mark...

They're not as full as some of the other options out there. And why not make the guitar as versatile as you can?

Dirty Faced Kid
03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
My good buddy had one in the 90's (still has it actually). Loved it! Had a great feel and a great sound (running through a Marshall half-stack at least). He did have a Screamin' Demon in it though.

DFK

Mr Grimsdale
03-09-2004, 11:35 AM
did he now?
the filthy bugger

ELVIS
03-09-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm appalled...:D

ELVIS
04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Buy It Now Price: US $395.00 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47069&item=3716325417&rd=1)

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/9f/49/3c_1_b.JPG

:elvis:

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2004, 05:05 PM
that's fookin' ace

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2004, 05:06 PM
PIGS IN KNICKERS!

ELVIS
04-13-2004, 03:09 AM
Do you mean good or bad ??

Mr Grimsdale
04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
i like it
i like it

all through the thread i've been oohing and ahhing about 'em
i like the guitars too

oooh no missus no

GAR
04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
how much metal is IN a heavy Metal strat|?

Mr Grimsdale
04-14-2004, 02:30 AM
yes, and what sort

i like to know my alloys

Cathedral
04-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by GAR

And how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center?

Mr Grimsdale
04-14-2004, 08:45 AM
you want to have a roll with dustin hoffman?

Hecubus
04-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by GAR

I don't know how much is in mine, but it is heavy....

:D