PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 QB's in the NFL as of right now

Lou
08-14-2004, 09:39 PM
OK my top 5 QB's in the NFL as of this second:

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Michael Vick
4. Steve McNair (edited--replaced Matt Hasselbeck who I originally had on here)
5. Brett Favre

Va Beach VH Fan
08-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Question:

What have Manning, Vick, and Hasselbeck done ????

Manning has YET to win a big game....

Vick, even though he's my fantasy QB, is dangerously close to being a walking disabled list....

Hasselbeck ?? One good year doesn't make the guy Joe Montana....

Now having said all that, I'd keep Manning in the top 5....

I think you need to give some consideration to McNabb and McNair, who for the most part, CONSISTENTLY have their teams near the top of the league....

I'd even be prompted to put Culpepper ahead of Vick or Hasselbeck..

Lou
08-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Culpepper ain't done shit either. You know I was running down the QB's in the NFL and there really aren't very many "great" ones. I will however take off Hasselbeck and get McNair in there, he did have a hell of a year last year and he's gotten that team to the SB.

McNabb...I wish I could put him on there but his accuracy is average at best; I just can't. He also hasn't played a good playoff game in two years. Vick did something no one else had done before--win a playoff game in Green Bay. I think Vick's gonna bounce back and have an electric year this year.

MAX
08-14-2004, 10:26 PM
What about Trent Green? He is my team's enemy but that guy is a fucking solid quarterback and fits in very well with Vermeil's system.

Anyway, I'll go with and in no particular order:

Trent Green
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Jake Plummer (cos he's on my team and I bleed oreange and blue)
Tom Brady

Lou
08-14-2004, 10:42 PM
I was thinking about Trent Green, but I can't take him over the 5 I mentioned.

ALinChainz
08-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Manning
Brady
Culpepper
McNair
McNabb

With Vick (health), Hasselbeck (consistency), Favre (HOF) and Plummer (WRs need to step up) following them, IMO.

Funny how Favre seems to get away with more because of who he is though. I think he's a first ballot dude, but he did blow 2 games last season with INTs, one being the playoff game. But, it's part of the game, he's Favre. It's respect, so it has to be earned.

Culpepper may not have won a Super Bowl yet, but check out his career numbers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4659/career

Played in 1 game as a rookie, then the starter from there, so he's only really PLAYED 4 seasons. Look at his rushing stats especially. And Minnesota's record isn't bad during his career either.

MAX
08-14-2004, 11:42 PM
I think both Culpepper and McNabb have such potential to be Hall of Famers. They just don't seem to step up when it really counts. IMO.

Vick is stellar to watch but he's too young and hasn't really proven anything as of yet.

Favre, yeah he fucked shit up last year but the dude is so tough and a well respected team leader. One other thing, what do you guys think about Bledsoe? I've always thought he was one of the most overrated quartebacks in recent history. I'll admit he used to have one hell of an arm but hey, what else?

I also think we are forgetting to give a little props to Chad Pennington? That kid has potential IMO.

rustoffa
08-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Fah-vray: Tough SOB, future hall of famer, too many int's.

Manning: Snap count theatrics make me wanna puke, accurate passer, student of the position, plus he's got a huge fucking head.

Tom Brady: The tuck rule made him a genie in a bottle.

Michael Vick: An athlete, not a fucking quarterback.

Doug Flutie: What does Doug Flutie do? Win football games.
:D

wraytw
08-15-2004, 02:05 AM
Manning (His game speaks for itself.)

McNair (His game speaks for itself.)

Vick (The West Coast Offense should make him a much bigger threat with his arm.)

McNabb (Had mediocre WR's until now.)

Brady (I think Brady is a product of the system. Put him on another team with a different offensive scheme and a not so stellar defense, and he'll be a backup again.)

Bill Lumbergh
08-15-2004, 02:52 AM
1. Peyton Manning

2. Brett Favre

3. Steve McNair

4. Daunte Culpepper

5. Marc Bulger (I'm a fucking Rams fan, okay?! And Tom Brady is WAY overrated.......quarterbacks who are asked to just "not lose" games, don't belong here.)

Va Beach VH Fan
08-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Lemme say this about Brady....

Believe me, I'd love to smack a 2x4 across the head of those touting this guy as such a great QB, but....

He's the prototypical QB in today's NFL....

Meaning, don't fuck up, don't turn the ball over, make good decisions, and be an accurate passer..... And those passes, by the way, are only 5-15 yards down the field....

If you want additional information, pls see the resumes of;

Dilfer, Trent - Super Bowl Winner
Johnson, Brad - Super Bowl Winner

Long gone are the days when the best QB's were the ones throwing the ball 50 yds. down the field 6-8 times a game....

Lou
08-15-2004, 12:05 PM
The fact that Tom Brady though did it twice tells me it's not a fluke with him. Joe Montana didn't have the strongest arm did he? I'm not comparing Tom Brady to Joe Montana but having a strong arm is only one tool that you want your QB to have. If he has all the other tools, it can make up for an average arm.

Now Randall Cunningham had a gun for an arm and could run like hell, and what did he win?

POJO_Risin
08-15-2004, 12:26 PM
1. Tom Brady--I know this drives Va nuts...and it does me as well...2 titles...period. There are a lot of qbs who are accurate...who don't make mistakes...but a rare few who can do it when the pressure is mounting. You mention Dilfer Va...but face the facts...they did it with a punishing ground game...and Defense...the passing game was a non factor. Brad Johnson...again...same thing...Johnson and Dilfer both make to many mistakes to ever win it on their own. New England has a great D...but their running game was suspect...their receivers were suspect...but they attack you on the offensive side in so many way...servicable wr's...a great TE...and good receiving backs...and a QB who won't sell a pass...and knows how to win (trust me Va...this hurts...because this prick is a Michigan grad).

2. Steve McNair--Love the way this guy plays...and wins...has a TON of weapons...but you really get a sense at how good he makes those weapons. He's the guy you get to make your team step it up...he's relentless...and plays with injuries...and rarely does it cost them.

3. Donovan McNabb--Say what you want about the guy...but he carries that offense...and has done so to three straight NFC Championship games...now he hasn't won one yet...and hasn't looked good in that good...mainly because when you get to that point...a good defense will shut your run down...and leave you with nothing. With TO...or hell...any receiver worth a damn...that doesn't happen...and you have something...I think McNabb is a winner...not necesarily in stats...but in carrying a team.

4. Brett Favre--I'd have him 1 a couple of years ago...but look at McNabb...and add a super bowl title...Favre is the gunslinger though...he can do all the things McNabb and McNair do...but with a cannon to go with it...he makes players better around him...but can also roast you deep when you least expect it...this guy is a bastardized Bradshaw...

These guys are the cream of the crop to me...Manning...you really get the impression that without Harrison...Manning wouldn't nearly be as good as he is...CPepp...we'll see...Vick...he needs to alter his game a bit...

We'll see...

The best QB's are winners...and stats don't make winners...

and Va...watch some Pats games this year (yeah...painful)but Belicheck is masterful in adding the deep ball...yeah...they kill you with dinks...

but what they do to spread that Defense out is fantastic....at least five times a game...at least...they either go deep...or...throw away a ball deep to keep you guessing. And that very same offense...if you have a great receiver...becomes a gun offense...

I don't see Brady as a QB like Dilfer and Johnson at all...

Sarge's Little Helper
08-15-2004, 12:27 PM
1. Tom Brady--I know this drives Va nuts...and it does me as well...2 titles...period. There are a lot of qbs who are accurate...who don't make mistakes...but a rare few who can do it when the pressure is mounting. You mention Dilfer Va...but face the facts...they did it with a punishing ground game...and Defense...the passing game was a non factor. Brad Johnson...again...same thing...Johnson and Dilfer both make to many mistakes to ever win it on their own. New England has a great D...but their running game was suspect...their receivers were suspect...but they attack you on the offensive side in so many way...servicable wr's...a great TE...and good receiving backs...and a QB who won't sell a pass...and knows how to win (trust me Va...this hurts...because this prick is a Michigan grad).

2. Steve McNair--Love the way this guy plays...and wins...has a TON of weapons...but you really get a sense at how good he makes those weapons. He's the guy you get to make your team step it up...he's relentless...and plays with injuries...and rarely does it cost them.

3. Donovan McNabb--Say what you want about the guy...but he carries that offense...and has done so to three straight NFC Championship games...now he hasn't won one yet...and hasn't looked good in that good...mainly because when you get to that point...a good defense will shut your run down...and leave you with nothing. With TO...or hell...any receiver worth a damn...that doesn't happen...and you have something...I think McNabb is a winner...not necesarily in stats...but in carrying a team.

4. Brett Favre--I'd have him 1 a couple of years ago...but look at McNabb...and add a super bowl title...Favre is the gunslinger though...he can do all the things McNabb and McNair do...but with a cannon to go with it...he makes players better around him...but can also roast you deep when you least expect it...this guy is a bastardized Bradshaw...

These guys are the cream of the crop to me...Manning...you really get the impression that without Harrison...Manning wouldn't nearly be as good as he is...CPepp...we'll see...Vick...he needs to alter his game a bit...

We'll see...

The best QB's are winners...and stats don't make winners...

and Va...watch some Pats games this year (yeah...painful)but Belicheck is masterful in adding the deep ball...yeah...they kill you with dinks...

but what they do to spread that Defense out is fantastic....at least five times a game...at least...they either go deep...or...throw away a ball deep to keep you guessing. And that very same offense...if you have a great receiver...becomes a gun offense...

I don't see Brady as a QB like Dilfer and Johnson at all...

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

WARF
08-18-2004, 11:19 PM
1- Manning
2- Brady
3- Pennington
4- Farve
5- McNair

Troy
08-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh

5. Marc Bulger (I'm a fucking Rams fan, okay?!

Good choice!!!

horty07
08-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Favre
Mcnair
P.Manning
A.Brooks
McNabb

horty07
08-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I hope to add couch to this list if Brett retires at the end of this season.

Mezro
08-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Now Randall Cunningham had a gun for an arm and could run like hell, and what did he win?

Rich Kotite

Mezro...and a Jimmy Mac attack...

Mezro
08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
A.J. Feely - you go girl
Rodney Peete - you go girl 2
Jon Kitna - so Jesus helped you keep that starting job huh?
Marques Tuiasosopo - may I have 2 quesadillas to go please.
Tim Couch - duck and cover bitch
Drew Brees - hey Brees...get me a burger with cheese.
David Carr - I liked your brother Eric better.
Quincy Carter - he would have learned the offense faster had his playbook been in a plastic baggie.

Mezro...bring back Heath Schuler...now there was a scary talent...

VH Freak
08-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Favre sure has garnered a reputation for throwing int's but in reality if you look at Favre's career stats with Elway you will see that he has thrown more TD's but less INT's than Elway (but you never hear the INT tag on Elway). Also his INT ratio is in line with the career greates. Sure..Favre threw the second most INT's last year but he also led the league in TD passes.

My list would go like this:

1. Manning
2. Favre
3. Brady
4. McNair
5. Culpepper
6. Hasselbeck (I can't leave him off)