View Full Version : Which is the Best Classic VH Album

POJO_Risin
12-31-2003, 04:03 PM
An oldie...but a goodie...

Which is your favorite?

Gee...with fair warning win again?

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Sorry, but I'm not amongst the throngs of Classic VH fans that thinks FW is the best thing since canned beer....

Great album, absolutely no doubt about that....

But it doesn't compare to the raw fuckin' energy of VH I.....

Christ, side 1 is unbelievable in itself.....

I know I'm still talking in album talk, but RWTD, Eruption, YRGM, ATBL, I'm the One, and Jamie's Cryin', now that's one hell of an entire album, much less one side.....

Not to mention the fact that it was their debut album....

POJO_Risin
12-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Well bro...it depends on the day of the week...

but I can't disagree with that...as much as I want too...lmfao...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Interesting, a VH II vote....

flappo
01-01-2004, 12:35 PM
..can i vote for all 6 ?

Coyote
01-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Diver Down.

This album shows people how diverse Van Halen were, and how they could "Van Halenize" every cover they laid their hands on, IMO.

lionsfan
01-01-2004, 02:52 PM
1984. Great album...from beginning to end.

G-Money
01-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Fair Warning is the best VH album, although VH1 is a close second.

Full Bug
01-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Whenever this poll is done Fair Warning wins hands down........

Captain Peacock
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Nope, sorry.
VAN HALEN is one of the greatest ever albums.
The greatest VAN HALEN album.
Nuff said.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-01-2004, 06:01 PM
And why Bug ??

Not just why FW is best to you, but why not VH I....

Cato
01-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I did.
I saw 'em in 1979. the first(and the last) VH experience.
so that album is special to me.

Mr Badguy
01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
I`ll go for "Fair warning".

It`s pretty dark and maybe a little wierd.

They`re all good, though.

flappo
01-01-2004, 07:40 PM
..diver down ?

..thats the weakest of teh 6 !!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Cato
I did.
I saw 'em in 1979. the first(and the last) VH experience.
so that album is special to me.

That makes sense...

I have a pamphlet from Byblos in Akasaka/Tokyo that showed Van Halen partied there when they toured Japan in '79...

Byblos was one rocking club....All of the American bands who toured in Tokyo stopped there... The list is very impressive... Heavy metal Japanese chicks rocked out with their leather mini-skirts.... :D

I met the lead guitarist from Angel (remember them ???) one night there....

Although I did a Google search today and it seems that they made it into a Discotechque.... :(

Aaah, the good old days.... :D

DLRSLAVE
01-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Past two weeks its been WACF....only CD in my car. Lets see
I go back to work Monday I may change it to Diver Down sounds good

Cato
01-01-2004, 11:46 PM

I met the lead guitarist from Angel (remember them ???) one night there....

ANGEL!!

they sucked.
I think they were the first bubblegum hair metal band.

Mr Badguy
01-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Angel were great.

Their first couple of albums were tough progressive rock.

The later albums turned bubblegum, but none of it was what you would call soft.

They were years ahead of their time, the blueprint for the kind of stuff that was topping the charts in the early 90`s.

SoCalChelle
01-02-2004, 04:45 PM
WACF!

PHOENIX
01-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Uhm Somebody said FAIR WARNING!!!

lesfunk
01-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Fair Warning!

rustoffa
01-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Fair Warning,cause the case is always empty I guess...

SactoFan
01-03-2004, 01:57 AM

2 votes!:D

Susie Q
01-03-2004, 08:14 PM
VH 1 was all about raw, untainted music. As the albums kept coming they began to lose their flavor. I mean, I really loved all the Roth era VH stuff, don't get me wrong. But, hearing the thump of Mikes bass on RWTD, or the Screaming pitch of Eddie's guitar on the track, ON FIRE!! Daves voice, all trying and a powerhouse!!

BUT, I gotta tell ya....my favorite of ALL TIME is not even on this fuckin' album! ROTFLMAO!! It's Romeo Delight!

Seshmeister
01-03-2004, 09:52 PM
I always vote VHI in these polls.

If nothing else it's longer so more bang for your buck.

I can't really listen to it anymore though.

100000 plays kind of kills it.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Full Bug
01-03-2004, 10:23 PM
And why Bug ??

Not just why FW is best to you, but why not VH I....
Why ask why? Was just saying FW has won every poll I recall seeing asking this question, FW is my fav, I didnt say it was the best because I think it is.....
Looks like VH1 has a chance at winning this one......

Va Beach VH Fan
01-03-2004, 10:36 PM
It wasn't an inquisition bro, I've always been curious as to why a good majority of VH fans consider FW their favorite....

The guitarists in the crowd usually always love FW over VH I...

While FW has it's jams (Unchained, Mean Street, Sinners Swing), it also has darker songs such as Dirty Movies and Sunday Afternoon in the Park....

Full Bug
01-03-2004, 10:41 PM

While FW has it's jams (Unchained, Mean Street, Sinners Swing), it also has darker songs such as Dirty Movies and Sunday Afternoon in the Park....
I guess that sums it up for me, I dont know, it can be hard to put into words what makes a person really get into a album......
If I had to pick number 2, Van Halen 1 would be my pick.....

Gmoney
01-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Fair Warning is the best classic VH album and VH1 a close second..

POJO_Risin
01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Well...truth be told here...I could change my vote daily...

There's a certain tone and mood with every album that I especially enjoy...

VH1...many good cases made for it...and generically...and by that I'm saying outside the VH camp, it's always tops in the charts...

in house...fair warning?

Why? Yeah...it's dark...but the rockin' songs on that album are second to none...and perhaps 2 of VH's greatest songs ever...Mean Street and Unchained...

It rocks every bit as much as 1 did...doesn't cop out (VH didn't as well) with a radio tune...gives us some of Ed's best work...and was the pinnacle of their creativity (although I feel 1984 is their most underrated album...keyboards yes, but hop and girl gone bad are perhaps the best finishers in the game today...

I'm curious to what would have been put out with Dave if they had put out one more...if Fair Warning was a dark album...well...The next Roth outing would have been downright evil...;)

VH...a great album...and perhaps I'm worn from it from the simple pain of listening to it a billion times...it was my first VH album...and I played that fucker until my ears bled...

It rocks as much or more as any other album that has ever been put out...and announced them as a band with a wee bit of authority...

But VH...in 1981...had reached a mountainous high...a commercial success sure...but still willing to put out raw music...

then Ed found the keyboards...and that fuckin' fat ass...

by the way...

Who is Sammy Hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Well...truth be told here...I could change my vote daily...

There's a certain tone and mood with every album that I especially enjoy...

VH1...many good cases made for it...and generically...and by that I'm saying outside the VH camp, it's always tops in the charts...

in house...fair warning?

Why? Yeah...it's dark...but the rockin' songs on that album are second to none...and perhaps 2 of VH's greatest songs ever...Mean Street and Unchained...

It rocks every bit as much as 1 did...doesn't cop out (VH didn't as well) with a radio tune...gives us some of Ed's best work...and was the pinnacle of their creativity (although I feel 1984 is their most underrated album...keyboards yes, but hop and girl gone bad are perhaps the best finishers in the game today...

I'm curious to what would have been put out with Dave if they had put out one more...if Fair Warning was a dark album...well...The next Roth outing would have been downright evil...;)

VH...a great album...and perhaps I'm worn from it from the simple pain of listening to it a billion times...it was my first VH album...and I played that fucker until my ears bled...

It rocks as much or more as any other album that has ever been put out...and announced them as a band with a wee bit of authority...

But VH...in 1981...had reached a mountainous high...a commercial success sure...but still willing to put out raw music...

then Ed found the keyboards...and that fuckin' fat ass...

by the way...

Who is Sammy Hagar?

a bridge drone troll who sounds like a sack of assholes when he speaks!

Albert Einstein
01-05-2004, 05:11 PM
FW!

Bob_R
01-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
it depends on the day of the week...

Ain't that the truth.

On this day VH I.

One Voice
01-08-2004, 02:50 PM
I am gonna have to with II
I know most people dont agree, but that on
i just love from beginning to end.

steve vai1
01-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Not that anyone cares but I have to go with fair warning. That album has eddie's classic brown sound all over it. It's a dark sounding album with great lyrics by the diamond one. Twenty years alter and I can't put this cd in and skip a track. SINNERS SWING is one of my all time favorites. There's not one bad note on this album.
I love all of the roth era. I think they are all way above tons of shit. I mean VH! i love too don't get me wrong. In order:
FW
VH1
WACF
VH2
Diver Down

Polk High
01-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I love Fair Warning, but it can't compete w/ VH I and all of you people who picked FW are fooling themselves into thinking its better than VHI

Sarge
01-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I got to pick Fair Warning over VH1..
But just barely..
Both are great

YankeeRose
01-17-2004, 11:52 PM
VH1!! It's the one that started it all...the first time I heard that voice in my ear promising to satisfy, that guitar in Eruption that sounds like oral sex feels...

Eyes of the Night
01-18-2004, 01:42 AM
The album that has Romeo Delight on it!;) ...

ELVIS
01-22-2004, 01:00 AM
[Cato and I have something in common...:)

<marquee>V A N H A L E N I I</marquee>

:elvis:

TMR
01-22-2004, 01:09 AM
I voted for VHII today
Then the next time I listen to a classic VH cd which will be months from now, it would be something else...all depends on my mood like everyone else......

ELVIS
01-22-2004, 01:16 AM
Me too.. but I always go back to II...:)

Kat
01-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Fair Warning is my favorite because this album was my introduction to VH...and will always be the best to me for that reason... :)

flappo
01-22-2004, 01:47 PM
..diver down is awful tho'

Loons The Great
05-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Wimmin' and Chillun' Firs'
nah yez yez yeah baby nah

trueblue
06-01-2006, 03:26 AM
Fair Warning is my king of the hill in the CVH SuperSix....i'd pick FW as my fave almost anyday anytime for reasons i've tired of talking about...lemme say this album showcased a side of CVH that i loved best...in brief, DLR's fiery(and funny) vocals and lyrics, Eddie's guitar heroics, Alex's strong drumming, and Mike's sexy bass lines and terrific backing vocal support as usual all made FW a truly memorable classic in the VH catalog....***I notice how this has turned out to be a minor slugfest between VHI and FW...frankly, VHI is usually #3 in my book, behind WACF, and on some days, even behind VHII....which one did Dave love best??

diamondsgirl
06-28-2006, 06:22 PM
FW is my favorite album ever.

Every song on this album is first-rate. There is not one song that I skip over.

The only things I would do differently are:

1. move PCTS to come in after STIL. Just for flow purposes. I'm a picky bitch like that.

2. And I would add at least two more kick ass songs, because its too short. MWM and CGTSNM would fit nicely ....yeah... :cool:

Unchainme
06-28-2006, 08:14 PM
VHI is my fav. of all time, I love all, But that was the first one I picked up, every song is fucking gold, And It turned me into a mega-CVH/DLR Fan.

CBS
06-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Dude, Jamie's Cryin' is on side two of Van Halen I if you remember albums.

Women and Children First

The best cover period. I stole this album from the record racks in eighth grade at the mall. I had heard VH I and II but, the third record struck a chord with me. I was expelled from two schools that year and my parents got divorced, I got laid and started my chemical experiments. This is for me the best all original album.

And the Cradle Will Rock
Fools
Everybody Wants Some!!!
Romeo Delight
Loss of Control
Could this Be Magic?
The time was 1980 and "look I'll pay you for it, What the Fuck"

Loons The Great
02-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Women And Children First

chi-town324
03-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Fair Warning best guitar work start to finish through the whole album....brillant... although VH1 Is a close second