PDA

View Full Version : im so glad?

Big Troubles
08-18-2004, 10:30 AM
dumb question, I know. But whats the back story to this song? They played it live better never recorded it. Was it just a fill in between songs on tour?

Roth-Halen
08-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Whats up BT!
Nice to see you around!
Did you see this thread?

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9094

secrets
08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm So Glad was a song originally written and played by Cream (Clapton, Bruce, Baker) in the late 60's.

I love the way they played this in the middle of SGMAD live.

Big Troubles
08-18-2004, 12:48 PM
see? shit I THOUGHT i was a hardcore VH fan, and then I go and ask a dumb question. :D Just goes to show that there is alot to learn about this fantasic classic rock n roll band. Thanks guys.

Big Troubles
08-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Roth-Halen
Whats up BT!
Nice to see you around!
Did you see this thread?

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9094

I did, thanks. Sounds like a great fuckin' show, but Im a cpl thousand miles away. ;)

DeadOrAlive
08-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Cream is pretty good. I like song crossroads by them.

Loons The Great
09-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by secrets
I'm So Glad was a song originally written and played by Cream (Clapton, Bruce, Baker) in the late 60's.

I love the way they played this in the middle of SGMAD live.

I'm So Glad was written by the great bluesman Skip James, although Van Davin's cover of the tune was most definitely from the Cream version...Skip sang in an eerie falsetto and played in a lotta weird open tunings...he was a big influence on Robert Johnson, who turned Skip's piano blues 32-20 Blues into a guitar tune.

secrets
09-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
I'm So Glad was written by the great bluesman Skip James, although Van Davin's cover of the tune was most definitely from the Cream version...Skip sang in an eerie falsetto and played in a lotta weird open tunings...he was a big influence on Robert Johnson, who turned Skip's piano blues 32-20 Blues into a guitar tune.

Hey, there you go, and for some reason I thought it was a Cream original.

DeadOrAlive
09-10-2004, 11:01 PM
I"M SO GLAD!

diamondsgirl
09-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Loons knows his shit!:smoke:

Reverberator
09-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Cream is pretty good. I like song crossroads by them.

Only if yer keep it in the fridge fakker (c).

Big Troubles
09-11-2004, 08:37 PM
after zero. before or after zero???? deep thinking.

Lou
09-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Somebody Get Me a Doctor / I'm So Glad...played on every show of the Hide Your Sheep Tour except the rehearsals and the first three shows.

My absolute favorite Van Halen piece performed live, hands down.

Big Troubles
09-11-2004, 08:47 PM
no no...different question. If After Zero is supposed to have taken place after Zero, then why does it sound more like a rehearsal than Zero. Zero, the Gene Simmons disc sounds more like a cut album all cleaned and edited, while After Zero sounds more like demos. Not complaining though, just an observation. Maybe one that alot of people already made??? I asked this question a few times without an answer so far.

Big Troubles
09-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Also I have a Running with the Devil demo that's not on Zero or After. How many cuts of this song did they actually do before settling on the track for the VH1 CD?

Big Troubles
09-11-2004, 08:51 PM
heres one to wrap your head around. :D I love doing this to people.... In Dave's book, he mentions his nose breaking coming off the riser to do his split leg jump- the pic on the back of the album cover in fact. But also he mentions in the book that he wrote the song, SGMAD 25,ooo ft in the air over the Atlantic ocean going to Europe in I believe, '78. Well, if indeed that is true, then how in the hell did Somebody get me a Doctor end up on the early Zero and Afetr Zero demos? (1977)

Loons The Great
05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Somebody Get Me a Doctor / I'm So Glad...played on every show of the Hide Your Sheep Tour except the rehearsals and the first three shows.

My absolute favorite Van Halen piece performed live, hands down.

Dey threw in some Girl Gone Bad in dere, too nah nah...I also dig the Ed/Al battles durin' the medley, Ed would even pick up the drum stick nah an' then...Beck did a tremendous,"I'm So Glad," in the Scorcese blues special...sd that he did 16 takes, all in different styles...

Casemeister
05-10-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm So Glad is cool. Great song. I dig the guitar/drum thing, too. The Cream original (I say "original" because it's the one VH copied, for sure) is awesome.

Matt White
05-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Got it on the US FESTIVAL. A nod to their past as a covers band & the Clapton influence. Very Kewl.

FORD
05-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
In Dave's book, he mentions his nose breaking coming off the riser to do his split leg jump- the pic on the back of the album cover in fact.

His nose? Actually, it was his right foot, as seen both on the inner sleeve of Van Halen II, and in this studio photo from the VHII sessions.....
http://www.sunsetsound.com/history/history_images/vh_lounging.jpg

Loons The Great
06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Skip James link:
www.cr.nps.gov/delta/blues/people/skip_james.htm

Loons The Great
06-17-2005, 08:02 PM
A blues cat that played a lots like Skip James:

www.thebluehighway.com/owens.html

MAX
06-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
In Dave's book, he mentions his nose breaking coming off the riser to do his split leg jump- the pic on the back of the album cover in fact.

No dude, he broke his nose filming a live performance in Europe right before the 1980 World Invasion Tour. He did the "Air Roth" right into a disco ball.

He broke his ankle/foot/whateva during the VHII photo shoot to which you were referring and what Ford said. He was wearing those platform shoes and *SNAP!!!*

Loons The Great
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm So Glad
...maybe they'll rev this medley up on the re-union tour...inevitably...:D