PDA

View Full Version : 'Two Americas' -- Bush-haters and the rest of us

BigBadBrian
08-20-2004, 08:12 AM
'Two Americas' -- Bush-haters and the rest of us
Larry Elder

August 19, 2004

Democratic vice-presidential candidate John Edwards sees "two Americas."

Edwards, at the Democratic National Convention, said, "Let me talk about why we need to build one America. I saw up close what having two Americas does to our country. From the time I was very young, I saw the ugly face of segregation and discrimination. I saw young African-American kids sent upstairs in movie theaters. I saw 'white only' signs on restaurant doors and luncheon counters. I feel such an enormous responsibility when it comes to issues of race and equality and civil rights."

Illinois Democratic senatorial candidate Barack Obama, however, gave a stirring speech at the Democratic National Convention in which he saw but one America: "There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice and dice our country into red states and blue states; red states for Republicans, blue states for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the red states. We coach Little League in the blue states and have gay friends in the red states."

But at a recent campaign stop in Kansas, Edwards' "two Americas" suddenly morphed into one. "For all those politicians and pollsters who say, 'Wait a minute, why are you taking one valuable day to come back to Kansas to campaign? Kansas is a red state.' To John Kerry and I (sic), there is no red state, there is no blue state, there is only one United States of America."

"Documentarian" Michael Moore, in fact, recently likened the Iraqi resistance to the American Revolution: "The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not 'insurgents' or 'terrorists' or 'The Enemy.' They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow -- and they will win." Comedienne/activist Janeane Garofalo said that 9/11 caused a persecution of Arab-Americans. "A lot of these people that jumped on that slam-the-Dixie-Chicks bandwagon, these are people that just are misogynists, or just are people that hate, or people that are just racists -- you know, Arab is the new black now. I mean it's like let's just hate Arabs, so they write hate mail . . . "

Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, himself a former presidential candidate, recently called Dick Cheney a "coward." Why? Cheney dared take issue with Kerry's position -- such as it is -- in the war on terror. "When I hear this coming from Dick Cheney," said Harkin, "who was a coward, who would not serve during the Vietnam War, it makes my blood boil. . . . Those of us who served and those of us who went in the military don't like it when someone like a Dick Cheney comes out and he wants to be tough. Yeah, he'll be tough. He'll be tough with somebody else's blood, somebody else's kids. But not when it was his turn to go."

For a window into that worldview, take George W. Bush's recent campaign stop in Santa Monica, Calif., one of the most liberal cities in the country. My producer, Les Siegel, explored the logic of some anti-Bush protesters:

Protester No. 1:

Question: What does your sign say?

Answer: "Bush, You're Fired!" He only has three more months left, and I'm so happy.

Question: Do you want Kerry to win?

Answer: Oh, yeah. Bush is a dictator and he's a fascist, and he's just destroying America, and everything that Americans believe is ruined because of him.

Question: How is he a dictator?

Answer: Because he's going around murdering innocent people, lying to everybody, and it's all for his own profit . . . putting money in his own pocket.

Question What's his biggest lie?

Answer: With the war? Actually him being president, number one. He cheated. His brother Jeb got him into office. And his father, give me a break, come on. He has to go because he's the worst president alive. ("Or dead, too," someone in the background faintly added.)

Protester No. 2:

Question: What does your sign say?

Answer: "Stop the war -- Bring home the troops now."

Question: Why are you protesting?

Answer: I've been around for 70 years, and I've never seen a president as immoral as Bush. I think he's the worst in my memory.

Yes, we have two Americas.

On the one hand, we have Americans -- even those who refuse to support Bush -- who see the president as a decent human being attempting to do the right thing. On the other hand, we have the almost pathological we-hate-Bush chorus whose high-profile members include the Michael Moore-Al Franken-Janeane Garofalo-types. They seem to despise Bush more than Osama bin Laden.

LoungeMachine
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
I love how if we be so BOLD as to vocally question this administration, we're labelled "unamerican", or "unpatriotic"

Or the real kicker is the "they mut love osama bin laden"

typical bullshit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this country FOUNDED on the principle that the government works FOR us, and that it's our RIGHT to speak out, question, and hold accountable said government?

Pretty patriotic of us to do so in my opinion.

Yes, I hate Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Rice, Wolfie, Rove, et al. But I'd give them their due, and support them IF THEY HAD MANAGED TO GET ONE GOD DAMN THING RIGHT.

But they didnt. So fuck you if you don't like me availing myself of my right to SPEAK OUT AGAINST THIS ADMINISTRATION.

Draft dodging ChickenHawks, every one of them. Powell is the only member of this Administration with a soul, he was ignored, and now he's leaving.

See you in November.

Wayne L.
08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
There is only one America whether you're a Republican, Democrat or Indpendent politically while this red & blue states crap that divides this nation which began during the 2000 election is media manipulation of the WORST kind.

Warham
08-20-2004, 10:35 AM
I must live in the one American on the East Coast. Will somebody tell me where the other America starts? I want to be able to see the border when I fly to Hawaii in October.

ODShowtime
08-20-2004, 11:01 AM
What's the point of this arcticle? To shame me into forgetting we are living under the boot of the worst administration in the history of the US?

Oh I'm sorry, I shouldn't have thought that way. I don't give a fuck if our leaders are pushing us to the brink of total war for their own profit.

What a crock of shit that article is. It has no point.

BigBadBrian
08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I love how if we be so BOLD as to vocally question this administration, we're labelled "unamerican", or "unpatriotic"

Or the real kicker is the "they mut love osama bin laden"

typical bullshit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this country FOUNDED on the principle that the government works FOR us, and that it's our RIGHT to speak out, question, and hold accountable said government?

Pretty patriotic of us to do so in my opinion.

Yes, I hate Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Rice, Wolfie, Rove, et al. But I'd give them their due, and support them IF THEY HAD MANAGED TO GET ONE GOD DAMN THING RIGHT.

But they didnt. So fuck you if you don't like me availing myself of my right to SPEAK OUT AGAINST THIS ADMINISTRATION.

Draft dodging ChickenHawks, every one of them. Powell is the only member of this Administration with a soul, he was ignored, and now he's leaving.

See you in November.

You were probably whining like a little girl when Republicans were questioning policy decisions Clinton made. Shut your pie hole. :gulp:

LoungeMachine
08-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You were probably whining like a little girl when Republicans were questioning policy decisions Clinton made. Shut your pie hole. :gulp:

No I wasn't.

I questioned most of his policies as well. And I was an ardent supporter of his.

Tell me this, why should I shut up? Are you only able to listen to opinions that parrot your own? Are you unable to debate?

Call me a little girl all you want, it doesnt change the fact that this administration has fucked up over and over and over

So much for me listening to YOUR point of view

BigBadBrian
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
No I wasn't.

I questioned most of his policies as well. And I was an ardent supporter of his.

Tell me this, why should I shut up? Are you only able to listen to opinions that parrot your own? Are you unable to debate?

Call me a little girl all you want, it doesnt change the fact that this administration has fucked up over and over and over

So much for me listening to YOUR point of view

Good. :gulp:

Keeyth
08-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Yes, we have two Americas.

On the one hand, we have Busheep---who see the president as a decent human being attempting to do the right thing. On the other hand, we have the enlightened chorus whose high-profile members include the Michael Moore-Al Franken-Janeane Garofalo-types. They seem to despise Bush more than Osama bin Laden.

Well, that's because they can see through all the lies and rhetoric enough to see that bin Laden was merely a tool/scapegoat of the Bush administration (Let's see, he forgot to make any demands, and he forgot to personally take credit for the attacks... hmmm) and that bin Laden was not only a CREATION of the CIA, but until they decided to use him as the fall guy for 9-11, he was a valuable CIA ASSET...

Bush attempting to do the right thing? My ASS!

Step down, impeach yourself for stealing the election in 2000 or for letting 9-11 happen to benefit you and your family's oil business...
...THAT would be doing the right thing for starters...

:mad:

sh18
08-21-2004, 12:43 AM
You guys should stick to music, because all you Bush haters don't know what you're talking about. You've got you're talking points down but you lose in real debates. Whine all you want, you're getting 4 more years!!

LoungeMachine
08-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by sh18

all you Bush haters don't know what you're talking about.

. Whine all you want, you're getting 4 more years!!

too cute.

none of us?

damn.

50 million people don't know what they're talking about.

You know, we had this same debate in 92. There was NO WAY a sitting war president was going to be beat by a Liberal.

It's deja vu all over again

Keeyth
08-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by sh18
You guys should stick to music, because all you Bush haters don't know what you're talking about. You've got you're talking points down but you lose in real debates. Whine all you want, you're getting 4 more years!!

You're in for a rude awakening come November, bozo...

...and what does 'sh' stand for in your name? Sammy Hagar? SHeep? SHite???

Big Train
08-21-2004, 02:47 AM
I thought you were gone for the weekend...I was momentarily happy...

Have a good weekend

Keeyth
08-21-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
I thought you were gone for the weekend...I was momentarily happy...

Have a good weekend

Yeah, what can I say, I got bored and turned on the computer at home. Don't worry though, I'm about to crash, so you can get all happy again. :D

Have a good weekend yourself!

C-ya...:cool: