PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Campaign Calls for Book Ban!!!

BigBadBrian
08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
The Kerry campaign calls on a publisher to 'withdraw book' written by group of veterans, claiming veterans are lying about Kerry's service in Vietnam and operating as a front organization for Bush. Kerry campaign has told Salon.com that the publisher of UNFIT FOR COMMAND is 'retailing a hoax'... 'No publisher should want to be selling books with proven falsehoods in them,' Kerry campaign spokesman Chad Clanton tells the online mag... Developing...

DrudgeReport

Wayne L.
08-20-2004, 11:14 AM
If Democratic presidential candidate is calling to ban the book Unfit For Command because it criticises his service in Vietnam then he is acting with nazi like tendencies against the first admendment of the U. S. Constitution which is far worse than President Bush.

LoungeMachine
08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
spare me.

The title of this thread is INDICITIVE of the the KKKarl Rove brand of politics

KERRY BANS BOOKS

KERRY KILLS KITTENS

KERRY DID YOUR MOTHER

Pay no attention to the REAL horrors

BigBadBrian
08-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
spare me.

The title of this thread is INDICITIVE of the the KKKarl Rove brand of politics

KERRY BANS BOOKS

KERRY KILLS KITTENS

KERRY DID YOUR MOTHER

Pay no attention to the REAL horrors

Shuddup!!!

ODShowtime
08-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, he already called on Bush to condemn the work of his family's attack dogs. Of course no reputable publisher would risk their rep on this drivel. See other thread about the racist publisher.

LoungeMachine
08-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Shuddup!!!

Excellent point. Well articulated.

so much for free speech.

typical

LoungeMachine
08-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Shuddup!!!

With posts like this it's no wonder you have 1,500 posts, yet only 20 votes.

I guess you prefer to only hear from other Busheep

John Ashcroft
08-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Did "The New JFK's" campaign staff call for Michael Moore's books and movie to be banned?

Nope, they gave him a seat in the President's booth at their convention.

And they accuse the Bush administration of collaboration with the Swiftboat Vets???

knuckleboner
08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
If Democratic presidential candidate is calling to ban the book Unfit For Command because it criticises his service in Vietnam then he is acting with nazi like tendencies against the first admendment of the U. S. Constitution which is far worse than President Bush.

actually, dude, the 1st amendment doesn't protect slander. (if, in fact, the veterans for truth are lying.)

not quite nazi-istic...

but i do agree with the AG.

while i'm not sure if moore outright lied in his movie (truly, i'm not sure, i haven't seen it) i am pretty damn sure he distorted the truth, at least at times.

while kerry's criticism of "unfit for command" may be valid, it's also somewhat hypocrtical coming from him...

Big Train
08-20-2004, 01:19 PM
If he really wanted a leg to stand on with this issue, he would settle it with the records, not start legal trouble with the publisher. It's like believe my version of events and stop with yours, cause I'm right.

It's not like the Dems aren't sicking their dogs right now. Time magazines next issue has the cover story devoted to the "story behind the story" of how the evil republicans got the vets to speak out and financed it. The moveon.bitch article had to be bumped a few years..

Pay no attention to my real record Kerry Sheep...

Keeyth
08-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
If he really wanted a leg to stand on with this issue, he would settle it with the records, not start legal trouble with the publisher. It's like believe my version of events and stop with yours, cause I'm right.

It's not like the Dems aren't sicking their dogs right now. Time magazines next issue has the cover story devoted to the "story behind the story" of how the evil republicans got the vets to speak out and financed it. The moveon.bitch article had to be bumped a few years..

Pay no attention to my real record Kerry Sheep...

Man when are you Republicans gonna stop putting you feet in your mouths when it comes to record???

Records:

Kerry = 3 purple hearts, wounded in the line of duty defending his country in Vietnam.

Bush (A.K.A. Sargent Fucking Pussy Chickenhawk.)= Ducked out of drug tests and disappeared off of record for two months to avoid going to Vietnam to fight for 'his' country.

Dick Cheney = 5 deferrments to get out of fighting for his country in Vietnam.

John Ashcroft = 7, (count 'em 7) deferrments to get out of fighting for his country in Vietnam.

The records? The records speak for themselves. You guys are backing a bunch of unpatriotic pussys. You know what they say, "Birds of a feather..."
:rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
08-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
With posts like this it's no wonder you have 1,500 posts, yet only 20 votes.

I guess you prefer to only hear from other Busheep

Posts like yours deserve the response I typed. Unfortunately, you're rather late in the game around here. FORD, DLR's Cock, and other liberals before you have typed literally hundreds of other posts just like the one you did. They get quite boring. :gulp:

Big Train
08-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Keeyth,

First off, Fuck You. Where the fuck you get off calling me unpatriotic, I don't know. It is ok to question if it is Bush, but unpatriotic if it is Kerry? Choke on your hypocrisy.

Kerry's awards are all in dispute, which is the fucking point of the exercise. You want to believe his version of the story, against 256 other people, without question, and you call me a sheep.

Learn to debate without all the fucking retarded "sheep, Pussy..whatever bullshit, if you want to be taken seriously.

ELVIS
08-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Kerry's days are numbered...

His "I was in Viet Nam" is comming back to bite him...

The majority of Americans see through Kerry...

Support for Bush and the effort in Iraq is high...

Next stop.. Iran...

:elvis:

Keeyth
08-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Keeyth,

First off, Fuck You. Where the fuck you get off calling me unpatriotic, I don't know. It is ok to question if it is Bush, but unpatriotic if it is Kerry? Choke on your hypocrisy.

Kerry's awards are all in dispute, which is the fucking point of the exercise. You want to believe his version of the story, against 256 other people, without question, and you call me a sheep.

Learn to debate without all the fucking retarded "sheep, Pussy..whatever bullshit, if you want to be taken seriously.

I don't recall singling you out as unpatriotic... ...however if you're feeling guilty, stop backing the wrong horse!:D

Keeyth
08-20-2004, 04:31 PM
MSNBC.com
Bush, his familyhave many ties to Swift Boat vets
Some who now rip Kerry previously praised him

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 3:56 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2004

The veterans' group behind the controversial TV ads that question Sen. John Kerry’s Vietnam war record has extensive ties to President Bush and his family, other high-profile Texas politicians and Bush’s chief political aide — ties that have raised questions about possible illegal coordination between Bush’s re-election campaign and the group.

Described as a “web of connections,” the links between the Bushes and the group were detailed in a Friday piece in the New York Times that also listed inconsistencies in some of the veterans' own public statements on their regard for Kerry.

How the group known as the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth "came into existence is a story of how veterans with longstanding anger about Mr. Kerry's antiwar statements in the early 1970s allied themselves with Texas Republicans," The Times said.

The group's ads accuse the Democratic presidential nominee of exaggerating his war record to win war medals and say he is unfit to be president.

"A series of interviews and a review of documents show a web of connections to the Bush family, high-profile Texas political figures and President Bush's chief political aide, Karl Rove," the Times reported. "Several of those now declaring Mr. Kerry 'unfit' had lavished praise on him, some as recently as last year.

The story appeared in the Times a day after Kerry fought back against the veterans' allegations, accusing Bush of using a Republican front group “to do his dirty work” and challenging Bush to debate their wartime service records. “Well, if he wants to have a debate about our service in Vietnam, here is my answer: Bring it on,” said the Democratic presidential candidate, reviving an old war and campaign slogan amid strong urging from party leaders for him to respond to two-week-old GOP assertions.

Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said the charge that Bush was in league with the group criticizing Kerry’s war record “is absolutely and completely false. The Bush campaign has never and will never question John Kerry’s service in Vietnam.” But the Bush campaign has, in fact, refused to specifically disavow the Swift Boat veteran’s ad.

Any formal ties between the Bush campaign and the veterans group would be against the law. Swift Boat Veterans for the Truth is organized as a non-party, independent political group under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code, and coordination between a 527 group and a presidential campaign is illegal.

As Kerry denounced the criticism as “lies about my record,” aides privately acknowledged that they and their boss had been slow to recognize the damage being done to his political standing.

Three Purple Hearts, Bronze and Silver Stars
Kerry won three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and Silver Star for Vietnam War combat. Bush served stateside in the Texas Air National Guard. Both men say the other served honorably, but their supporters are pouring tens of thousands of dollars into television ads and other tactics to insist otherwise.

MoveOn.org, a liberal group funded by Kerry supporters, is airing an ad accusing Bush of using family connections to avoid the Vietnam War. It also asks the president to denounce an ad that aired early this month by the Swift Boat veterans.

In a campaign shadowed by the war on terrorism and in Iraq, Kerry’s valorous combat experience is a cornerstone of his campaign. After using the Democratic National Convention to improve his poll ratings on national security, Kerry remained silent as the criticism led to growing indications — much of it anecdotal, some in polling, party officials say — that his gains were eroding.

His medals are supported by Navy documents and the memories of all but one of the swift boat crewmates who served beneath Kerry, then a Navy lieutenant. The anti-Kerry group includes several veterans who say they witnessed Kerry’s actions from nearby swift boats.

One of his most vocal critics, Larry Thurlow, has disputed Kerry’s Bronze Star-winning assertion that he came under fire during a mission in Viet Cong-controlled territory. But Thurlow’s own military records contained several references to small arms fire that day, according to The Washington Post.

Thurlow said in a statement Thursday that his records were based on Kerry’s account.

Knowing several news organizations, including the Post, were investigating the claims of anti-Kerry veterans, the Democratic campaign swung into action late Wednesday — rewriting the candidate’s speech to a firefighters’ union overnight, flying two of his swift boat colleagues to Boston and producing a new campaign commercial, despite earlier plans to stay off the air until September.

The 30-second ad features a former Green Beret saying Kerry saved his life under fire. “He risked his life to save mine,” Jim Rassmann says.

Kerry advisers said they had heard from several Democratic politicians that voters were starting to ask questions about the candidate’s war record. The politicians urged him to fight back. Internally, there was an initial reluctance from senior advisers for Kerry to respond — because they believed that Bush would condemn the critical ad, or that the allegations would blow over.

Kerry had enough
As for the candidate himself, this was personal, aides said. He had heard the group was raising money for more ads, and was tired of his integrity being assaulted.

“Thirty years ago, official Navy reports documented my service in Vietnam and awarded me the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts,” Kerry said. “Thirty years ago, this was the plain truth. It still is. And I still carry the shrapnel in my leg from a wound in Vietnam.”

Kerry aides said they will maintain the offensive through surrogates, if not Kerry himself. Democrats welcomed the response.

“Out of desperation, the Bush campaign has picked the wrong fight with the wrong veteran,” said Jim Jordan, former Kerry campaign manager who now runs an outside group airing ads against Bush. “Today’s the start of the mother of all backlashes.”

Kerry surrounded himself with friendly veterans and union workers to criticize the group airing the ad against him.

“They’re a front for the Bush campaign,” Kerry said. “And the fact that the president won’t denounce what they’re up to tells you everything you need to know. He wants them to do his dirty work.”

Bush and the White House refused to condemn the anti-Kerry ad, which stopped airing this week. When Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., asked Kerry to condemn the MoveOn.org ad, Kerry quickly did so — though he has personally raised questions about Bush’s Vietnam-era service.

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which is funded in large part by Bob Perry, a Texas Republican, has knocked the Democratic nominee's campaign off stride with a small but effective advertising buy in the battleground states of Ohio, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The group spent about $500,000 on the ad, but its allegations that Kerry exaggerated his combat record to win medals have been on the Internet, the 24-hour cable channels and, most recently, the nation's major television networks and newspapers.

Bush leads in veterans' votes
During the week ending Aug. 8, 966,000 people visited the anti-Kerry group's Web site, 34,000 fewer than those who visited Kerry's official site, according to Nielsen/Net Ratings. The new CBS poll found Kerry winning 37 percent of veterans' votes to Bush's 55 percent. (The two were tied at 46 percent after last month's Democratic National Convention, where Kerry highlighted his service.)

"They have been very effective at using the August lull to drive a story" in news outlets, said Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.). Kerry, who planned to conserve resources by not buying television ads this month, will spend at least $180,000 to respond, his aides said.

Several Democrats said Kerry waited too long to condemn an ad designed to undermine the cornerstone of his political career and the overriding theme of the convention that nominated him for president: his heroics in war.

Emanuel said Kerry has an opportunity to "turn this and backfire it on the White House," which is what the Democratic nominee began trying with his remarks Thursday. The campaign wants to convince voters that Bush and Rove are behind the effort, at least in spirit.

Perry, a Houston home builder, initially contributed $100,000 to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and recently gave another $100,000. Perry has given millions of dollars to GOP efforts over the years, including $46,000 to Bush's gubernatorial campaigns in 1994 and 1998. He gave $2,000 to Bush's re-election campaign this year, records show. Seven of the 10 initial financial contributors to the veterans group have given to Bush's campaign this year, according to PoliticalMoneyLine.

Yet many of the veterans affiliated with the anti-Kerry effort do not have obvious relationships with the Bush campaign, nor do some of its donors.

Tad Devine, a top Kerry strategist, said Bush's refusal to condemn the content of the ad suggests an alliance. If Bush had, "that would have changed the whole chemistry of this debate," he said.

The dispute is unlikely to end soon. John O'Neill, a member of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and author of the anti-Kerry book "Unfit for Command," said the group raised nearly $500,000 from 10,000 donors in recent days.

The group is planning to air a new ad starting Friday. Group officials who discussed strategy on the condition of anonymity said the anti-Kerry group plans to hammer the Democrat for his war claims and his war protests after he left Vietnam, especially his claim that U.S. soldiers committed war crimes. The veterans, 15 or so who participate in conference calls most mornings at 7 to plot strategy, are also arranging local veterans to criticize Kerry when he visits their states, O'Neill said.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5771731/

Big Train
08-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Man when are you Republicans gonna stop putting you feet in your mouths when it comes to record???

The records? The records speak for themselves. You guys are backing a bunch of unpatriotic pussys. You know what they say, "Birds of a feather..."

Are these not your words? Us Republicans? If you had said, "these guys", you would have been a tad more clear...

I don't feel guilty at all, knowing I am backing the right guy.

Keeyth
08-20-2004, 07:32 PM

Are these not your words? Us Republicans? If you had said, "these guys", you would have been a tad more clear...

I don't feel guilty at all, knowing I am backing the right guy.

YOU are talking to ME about being clear? Your post is bordering on gibberish...:rolleyes:

Big Train
08-20-2004, 07:38 PM
whatever

Viking
08-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Typical, thin-skinned liberal cunts. They'll snicker when BowelMovement.org puts Soros-funded propaganda out equating Bush to Hitler, and think they're sophisticated and 'populist' by seating a bloated, repugnant non-human like Michael 'Pig Dung' Moore next to that tyrant-blowing failure Jimmah Carter at the DNC, but let guys who really put it on the line speak up about the sham being perpetuated by Kerry (and abetted by a willing leftist media), then the pussies cry 'FOUL!', and expect the First Amendment (which they wipe their yellow asses on) to be declared null-and-void by a Clintoon-appointed activist judge. You can ALL eat my ass.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.

Keeyth
08-20-2004, 08:03 PM
MSNBC.com
Bush, his familyhave many ties to Swift Boat vets
Some who now rip Kerry previously praised him

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 3:56 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2004

The veterans' group behind the controversial TV ads that question Sen. John Kerry’s Vietnam war record has extensive ties to President Bush and his family, other high-profile Texas politicians and Bush’s chief political aide — ties that have raised questions about possible illegal coordination between Bush’s re-election campaign and the group.

Described as a “web of connections,” the links between the Bushes and the group were detailed in a Friday piece in the New York Times that also listed inconsistencies in some of the veterans' own public statements on their regard for Kerry.

How the group known as the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth "came into existence is a story of how veterans with longstanding anger about Mr. Kerry's antiwar statements in the early 1970s allied themselves with Texas Republicans," The Times said.

The group's ads accuse the Democratic presidential nominee of exaggerating his war record to win war medals and say he is unfit to be president.

"A series of interviews and a review of documents show a web of connections to the Bush family, high-profile Texas political figures and President Bush's chief political aide, Karl Rove," the Times reported. "Several of those now declaring Mr. Kerry 'unfit' had lavished praise on him, some as recently as last year.

The story appeared in the Times a day after Kerry fought back against the veterans' allegations, accusing Bush of using a Republican front group “to do his dirty work” and challenging Bush to debate their wartime service records. “Well, if he wants to have a debate about our service in Vietnam, here is my answer: Bring it on,” said the Democratic presidential candidate, reviving an old war and campaign slogan amid strong urging from party leaders for him to respond to two-week-old GOP assertions.

Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said the charge that Bush was in league with the group criticizing Kerry’s war record “is absolutely and completely false. The Bush campaign has never and will never question John Kerry’s service in Vietnam.” But the Bush campaign has, in fact, refused to specifically disavow the Swift Boat veteran’s ad.

Any formal ties between the Bush campaign and the veterans group would be against the law. Swift Boat Veterans for the Truth is organized as a non-party, independent political group under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code, and coordination between a 527 group and a presidential campaign is illegal.

As Kerry denounced the criticism as “lies about my record,” aides privately acknowledged that they and their boss had been slow to recognize the damage being done to his political standing.

Three Purple Hearts, Bronze and Silver Stars
Kerry won three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and Silver Star for Vietnam War combat. Bush served stateside in the Texas Air National Guard. Both men say the other served honorably, but their supporters are pouring tens of thousands of dollars into television ads and other tactics to insist otherwise.

MoveOn.org, a liberal group funded by Kerry supporters, is airing an ad accusing Bush of using family connections to avoid the Vietnam War. It also asks the president to denounce an ad that aired early this month by the Swift Boat veterans.

In a campaign shadowed by the war on terrorism and in Iraq, Kerry’s valorous combat experience is a cornerstone of his campaign. After using the Democratic National Convention to improve his poll ratings on national security, Kerry remained silent as the criticism led to growing indications — much of it anecdotal, some in polling, party officials say — that his gains were eroding.

His medals are supported by Navy documents and the memories of all but one of the swift boat crewmates who served beneath Kerry, then a Navy lieutenant. The anti-Kerry group includes several veterans who say they witnessed Kerry’s actions from nearby swift boats.

One of his most vocal critics, Larry Thurlow, has disputed Kerry’s Bronze Star-winning assertion that he came under fire during a mission in Viet Cong-controlled territory. But Thurlow’s own military records contained several references to small arms fire that day, according to The Washington Post.

Thurlow said in a statement Thursday that his records were based on Kerry’s account.

Knowing several news organizations, including the Post, were investigating the claims of anti-Kerry veterans, the Democratic campaign swung into action late Wednesday — rewriting the candidate’s speech to a firefighters’ union overnight, flying two of his swift boat colleagues to Boston and producing a new campaign commercial, despite earlier plans to stay off the air until September.

The 30-second ad features a former Green Beret saying Kerry saved his life under fire. “He risked his life to save mine,” Jim Rassmann says.

Kerry advisers said they had heard from several Democratic politicians that voters were starting to ask questions about the candidate’s war record. The politicians urged him to fight back. Internally, there was an initial reluctance from senior advisers for Kerry to respond — because they believed that Bush would condemn the critical ad, or that the allegations would blow over.

Kerry had enough
As for the candidate himself, this was personal, aides said. He had heard the group was raising money for more ads, and was tired of his integrity being assaulted.

“Thirty years ago, official Navy reports documented my service in Vietnam and awarded me the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts,” Kerry said. “Thirty years ago, this was the plain truth. It still is. And I still carry the shrapnel in my leg from a wound in Vietnam.”

Kerry aides said they will maintain the offensive through surrogates, if not Kerry himself. Democrats welcomed the response.

“Out of desperation, the Bush campaign has picked the wrong fight with the wrong veteran,” said Jim Jordan, former Kerry campaign manager who now runs an outside group airing ads against Bush. “Today’s the start of the mother of all backlashes.”

Kerry surrounded himself with friendly veterans and union workers to criticize the group airing the ad against him.

“They’re a front for the Bush campaign,” Kerry said. “And the fact that the president won’t denounce what they’re up to tells you everything you need to know. He wants them to do his dirty work.”

Bush and the White House refused to condemn the anti-Kerry ad, which stopped airing this week. When Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., asked Kerry to condemn the MoveOn.org ad, Kerry quickly did so — though he has personally raised questions about Bush’s Vietnam-era service.

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which is funded in large part by Bob Perry, a Texas Republican, has knocked the Democratic nominee's campaign off stride with a small but effective advertising buy in the battleground states of Ohio, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The group spent about $500,000 on the ad, but its allegations that Kerry exaggerated his combat record to win medals have been on the Internet, the 24-hour cable channels and, most recently, the nation's major television networks and newspapers.

Bush leads in veterans' votes
During the week ending Aug. 8, 966,000 people visited the anti-Kerry group's Web site, 34,000 fewer than those who visited Kerry's official site, according to Nielsen/Net Ratings. The new CBS poll found Kerry winning 37 percent of veterans' votes to Bush's 55 percent. (The two were tied at 46 percent after last month's Democratic National Convention, where Kerry highlighted his service.)

"They have been very effective at using the August lull to drive a story" in news outlets, said Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.). Kerry, who planned to conserve resources by not buying television ads this month, will spend at least $180,000 to respond, his aides said.

Several Democrats said Kerry waited too long to condemn an ad designed to undermine the cornerstone of his political career and the overriding theme of the convention that nominated him for president: his heroics in war.

Emanuel said Kerry has an opportunity to "turn this and backfire it on the White House," which is what the Democratic nominee began trying with his remarks Thursday. The campaign wants to convince voters that Bush and Rove are behind the effort, at least in spirit.

Perry, a Houston home builder, initially contributed $100,000 to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and recently gave another $100,000. Perry has given millions of dollars to GOP efforts over the years, including $46,000 to Bush's gubernatorial campaigns in 1994 and 1998. He gave $2,000 to Bush's re-election campaign this year, records show. Seven of the 10 initial financial contributors to the veterans group have given to Bush's campaign this year, according to PoliticalMoneyLine.

Yet many of the veterans affiliated with the anti-Kerry effort do not have obvious relationships with the Bush campaign, nor do some of its donors.

Tad Devine, a top Kerry strategist, said Bush's refusal to condemn the content of the ad suggests an alliance. If Bush had, "that would have changed the whole chemistry of this debate," he said.

The dispute is unlikely to end soon. John O'Neill, a member of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and author of the anti-Kerry book "Unfit for Command," said the group raised nearly $500,000 from 10,000 donors in recent days.

The group is planning to air a new ad starting Friday. Group officials who discussed strategy on the condition of anonymity said the anti-Kerry group plans to hammer the Democrat for his war claims and his war protests after he left Vietnam, especially his claim that U.S. soldiers committed war crimes. The veterans, 15 or so who participate in conference calls most mornings at 7 to plot strategy, are also arranging local veterans to criticize Kerry when he visits their states, O'Neill said.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5771731/

Viking
08-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Bush Campaign Rejects Kerry Complaint As 'frivolous'

AFP: 8/20/2004

ARLINGTON, Virginia, Aug 20 (AFP) - President George W. Bush's campaign on Friday described as "frivolous" a formal complaint by Senator John Kerry's camp alleging that a group attacking the Democratic challenger's Vietnam War record had illegal ties to Bush's reelection bid.

"This is a frivolous complaint that even John Kerry's chief strategist has said they have no evidence to support," said spokesman Steve Schmidt at Bush campaign headquarters in this town across the Potomac River from Washington.

He contended it was Kerry's campaign that was using tax-exempt groups to boost his campaign. Such groups, known by their legal code 527, may fund advertisements favoring a candidate so long as they are independent of the campaign.

"The revolving door of personnel, coordinated strategies and overlapping fundraising between the Democratic 527s and the Kerry campaign is a flagrant disregard of the spirit and letter of the campaign finance reform law," Schmidt said.

The White House has consistently denied any linkages between Bush's campaign and Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, the group that has attacked Kerry's war record.

The White House said it respects Kerry's wartime service, but refused categorically to repudiate the charges against him.

In a statement, the Kerry campaign said it had "filed a legal complaint against Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) before the Federal Election Commission (FEC) for violating the law with inaccurate ads that are illegally coordinated with the Bush-Cheney presidential campaign."

The complaint was filed with the Federal Elections Commission, it said.

http://www.turkishpress.com/turkishpress/news.asp?ID=25012

LoungeMachine
08-20-2004, 09:29 PM
The Kerry campaign calls on a publisher to 'withdraw book' written by group of veterans, claiming veterans are lying about Kerry's service in Vietnam and operating as a front organization for Bush. Kerry campaign has told Salon.com that the publisher of UNFIT FOR COMMAND is 'retailing a hoax'... 'No publisher should want to be selling books with proven falsehoods in them,' Kerry campaign spokesman Chad Clanton tells the online mag... Developing...

DrudgeReport

The title of your thread says BAN

Your post quotes a request to "withdraw book"

Please check your thesaurus, I think it's wrong

Ban / Withdraw

NOT EVEN CLOSE

Go back to school