PDA

View Full Version : RUSH KICKS 30th ANNIVERSARY ASS IN HOMETOWN TORONTO!

DLR_EngineRoom
08-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Rush Exhilarates
Canuck trio loud & proud at 30th anniversary party
By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RUSH
Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto
Sunday, August 22, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO -- Toronto prog-power trio Rush finally got to blow out their 30th anniversary candles at home last night.

After four months on the road in North America, bassist-keyboardist-singer Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart brought their finely tuned, ferociously loud show -- known as R30 in honour of their three decades together as a group -- to the Molson Amphitheatre.

The evening was marked by the astonishing energy and virtuoso musicianship of Lee, Lifeson and Peart -- aged 51, 50 and 51 respectively -- combined with the sold-out crowd's unflagging enthusiasm during a marathon performance that ran well over three hours.

"Hello T.O.! It's so nice to be home," Lee said. "Thank you all for coming down tonight to celebrate our 30th anniversary -- especially you Torontonians. We must now punish you by playing way too much music."

Hardly.

Particularly outstanding was Rush's roaring first set that kicked off with a rousing six-song instrumental overture -- culled chronologically from the band's first six studio albums.

That nod to their past led nicely into The Spirit Of Radio, an early Rush hit that saw the audience needing little encouragement from Lee for a full-blown clap-along.

(The power of another classic was felt again later as Tom Sawyer began the second set after a 20-minute intermission. "We need to take a bit of a short break right now because we're a little bit old," Lee joked. "So please don't go anywhere.").

Still, the momentum of the show's first-half moved at a lightning fast pace right through the six songs following The Spirit Of Radio -- Force Ten, Animate, Subdivisions, Earthshine, Red Barchetta and Roll The Bones -- with plenty of solos from both Lee and Lifeson.

And after a slight lull during Bravado, the trio -- with Peart playing on his usual two drum kits that rotated -- were immediately back on track with YYZ, The Trees and a powerful rendition of The Who's The Seeker from Rush's recently released eight-song EP of covers, Feedback.

Helping propel the three musicians along were plenty of bells and whistles -- old photos and footage, slick lighting, and even some major pyro during One Little Victory.

The group was also big on animation shown on a large video screen behind them.

Rush poked fun at their advancing years as three baby dinosaurs hatched out of eggs during an extended dream sequence that saw Jerry Stiller waking up and yelling, "What the hell did they put in my tea?"

And two of the three clothes dryers from the Vapor Trails tour of two years ago made a return appearance to the stage with a new vending machine -- containing everything from The Simpsons action figures to Rush bobbleheads -- placed alongside them.

During the second half, Peart showed why he is a hero to both real drummers and air drummers everywhere as he performed a staggeringly impressive 10-minute solo that never grew tiresome.

That awesome display was followed by Lee and Lifeson on acoustic guitars for Resist and then rejoined by Peart on drums for The Yardbirds' Heart Full Of Soul, complete with chorus backup from the audience. Perhaps the 'reunited' Van Halen can learn several things from the boys from Rush.

Diver Down NJ
08-24-2004, 05:44 PM
They totally kicked ass at PNC earlier this month. Even sweeter was when Ged told us it was the 30th anniversary to the day, of Rush's first US gig!

Mr Badguy
08-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Roll on Glasgow 14/9.

Three weeks to go!

Reverberator
08-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Gonna miss the tour this year :( but saw Rush in 81 and 87 .

Great band and value for money unlike the VH 'rip off'.

Seshmeister
08-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Roll on Glasgow 14/9.

Three weeks to go!

I couldn't get decent tickets for Glasgow so I'm off to Birmingham...

classicdude
08-25-2004, 12:34 AM
GODDAMMIT!!! Missed half of Peart's drum solo on a beer run!! FUCK!!!! Ah, well, Rush still is worth the admission!

DLR_EngineRoom
08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Reverberator
Gonna miss the tour this year :( but saw Rush in 81 and 87 .

Great band and value for money unlike the VH 'rip off'.

Dude you don't understand.....you HAVE to see these guys on this tour!

You MUST!

3 1/2 hours with one intermission....no opening band!

JUST GO!!!!!!

DLR_EngineRoom
08-25-2004, 07:36 PM
RUSH brings fans closer to the heart

By ALAN NIESTER
Special to The Globe and Mail
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - Page R3

Rush

At Molson Amphitheatre

In Toronto on Sunday

Although local-hero power trio Rush have performed in Toronto dozens, if not hundreds, of times throughout their vaunted history, Sunday night's appearance at the Molson Amphitheatre was indeed something special. For it marked not only yet another triumphant homecoming, but also the culmination of the North American leg of R30, the band's 30th-anniversary tour.

Thirty years. Consider the accomplishment. First off, it's incredibly rare for any band to remain intact for thirty years with no personnel changes. (The band is actually older than 30, having formed in 1968. This is the 30th anniversary since Neil Peart replaced John Rutsey on drums, creating the band lineup as we know it.) And even if somehow a band does stay together in some form, it has usually peaked by this point, and is playing out the string back in the small clubs and beer halls where it began. Not so in Rush's case. Sunday's appearance was in front of an ecstatic, sold-out throng.

And it's not as if it has been an easy ride. The band's early years saw it endure a string of negative reviews while it patiently built up a loyal grassroots following. And recently there have been real-life experiences that have threatened the band's existence. The tragic loss of two members of Neil Peart's immediate family in the mid-nineties put the band on temporary hiatus, and more recently, guitarist Alex Lifeson was involved in a still unresolved run-in with the law in Florida.

Not surprisingly then, Sunday's appearance was more than just another stop in a tour to promote a studio album (although Rush has just released a covers EP called Feedback which remarkably managed to hit the Top 10 in the Billboard albums charts for a short period after its release). This was very much a celebration of the band's history, a recounting, and a chance for true fans to experience songs (By-Tor and the Snow Dog, 2112, Xanadu, all from the band's first decade) that they never expected to hear performed in concert again.

On stage for over three hours, the band divided the show into two halves with a 25-minute intermission. After a nifty video that managed to include symbols from most, if not all, of the band's albums, and a video introduction from Jerry Stiller (George Costanza's father on Seinfeld) in a Rush T-shirt, the trio broke into a 10-minute instrumental medley that included bits of Bastille Day, Hemispheres and A Passage to Bangkok among others, then segued right into The Spirit of Radio, one of their dozen or so most enduring hits.

Backed by the ubiquitous tumbling clothes dryers (joined this year by an automatic-styled vending machine) and lit by an overwhelming collection of lighting effects, Rush filled the first half with a more predictable selection of numbers, from 1978's The Trees, to Red Barchetta to YYZ, Force Ten, Subdivisions and all the way up to Earthshine, from 2002's Vapor Trails. Overall, this was a business-like and competent first half, highlighted by a video visit from the rapping skeletons of Roll the Bones, though I did mention to the guy next to me that I thought the band were more spirited during their "comeback" appearance here in 2002.

Not to worry, because things really took off in the second half. Regrouping with the popular Tom Sawyer, the show kicked into overdrive after a mid-set interlude that included a non-boring Peart drum solo, then a short acoustic interlude in which Geddy Lee and Alec Lifeson performed side-by-side on Resist from Test for Echo, and then a neatly understated version of The Yardbirds' Heart Full of Soul, for which the audience provided relatively drunken backing vocals.

The home stretch was a Rush fan's dream come true, featuring venerable, guitar-drenched chestnuts 2112, La Villa Strangiato, By-Tor and Xanadu before finishing the main section of the set with the closer Working Man. If Lifeson's impending date with The Man is weighing on his mind, it certainly didn't show on this night.

The band's choice of encore material was interesting. Two of the final numbers performed were covers, Summertime Blues and Crossroads from the Feedback release. This might have been a nice opportunity to revisit the Dr. Strangelove-inspired video missile ride of Distant Early Warning, perhaps, or New World Man or Big Money or a symbolic Closer to the Heart.

Certainly every Rush fan will have had a list of songs he or she wishes were played on this night (like 'In The Mood', 'Closer To The Heart' and 'Fly By Night'), but no one could ever fault the band on the Herculean effort it did put forth. Perhaps those songs are being saved for R35, coming to an amphitheatre near you in 2009.

Rush plays London's Wembley Stadium Sept. 8 and 9 to begin its British and European tours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverberator
08-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Dude you don't understand.....you HAVE to see these guys on this tour!

You MUST!

3 1/2 hours with one intermission....no opening band!

JUST GO!!!!!!

You're fuckin right , I'll try to get tickets for Birmingham .

It's probably going to be their last UK tour ever ,but I didn't want to see it from 2000 rows back .

Thanks for spurring me on .

Seshmeister
08-26-2004, 06:00 AM
I got Row S from ebay for cost price a couple of weeks ago...

DLR_EngineRoom
08-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Reverberator
You're fuckin right , I'll try to get tickets for Birmingham .

It's probably going to be their last UK tour ever ,but I didn't want to see it from 2000 rows back .

Thanks for spurring me on .

Just trust me on this....you DEFINITELY won't regret this.

If you're a Rush fan, you just have to see these guys on this tour.

Save the embarassing disappointments for Van Hagar, you won't need it when you go see Rush....

Diver Down NJ
08-26-2004, 05:21 PM
The opening medley from their current setlist was awesome. I was totally shot by the second half of the show, from rocking out so much during the first.

secrets
08-28-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm going to see them in London 8th September.

Saw them last over 10 years ago with Primus supporting.

Excellent show. These guys are best live IMHO.

DLR_EngineRoom
08-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by secrets
I'm going to see them in London 8th September.

Saw them last over 10 years ago with Primus supporting.

Excellent show. These guys are best live IMHO.

Dunno if you already have it, but check out the 'Rush In Rio' DVD.....unbelievable performance, unbelievable crowd....

secrets
09-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Dunno if you already have it, but check out the 'Rush In Rio' DVD.....unbelievable performance, unbelievable crowd....

Sounds good I'll see if I can get it on ebay.

How you doing BTW?

DLR_EngineRoom
09-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm doing great thanx...and you?

secrets
09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Pretty good thanks.

I'll post a review of the Rush show next week.

secrets
09-09-2004, 12:47 PM
WOW

What can I say about seeing Rush last night at Wembley Arena.

Simply amazing, a really incredible show which was very enjoyable from start to finish.

Even from quite far back it was still great as they had excellent back screen projection which really enhanced the show and especially certain songs like Subdivisions and The Trees.

If you're going to see them soon you're in for a real treat.

Seshmeister
09-09-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm in for a treat in 6 days then...:)

Diver Down NJ
09-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I'm in for a treat in 6 days then...:)

:baaa: