PDA

View Full Version : Cheney says he opposes marriage amendment

Steve Savicki
08-25-2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.livejournal.com/users/steve_savicki/32211.html?mode=reply

Viking
08-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Regardless of the fact that Cheney is walking a fine line due to the fact that his daughter is a muff buffer, I agree with him for one simple reason: I do NOT like the idea of the Constitution becoming the partisan playtoy of either party. I consider it to be an absolute - it defines the civil construct under which we all live. Further, I do not consider it the domain of the federal government to impose a centralized template of social or cultural behavior on any state jurisdiction. That is determined by the citizenry, not a bureaucrat. The states have surrendered too much autonomy to the fat cats, activist judges, and lawyers of Washington. I personally do not approve of gay marriage for several reasons, but if California wants to recognize it, then that is the will of the people of California. If the Episcopalian church wishes to sanctify it, so be it. Conversely, if the Commonwealth of Virginia defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, and will not recognize a marriage between two members of the same sex, then that is their perogative. Too many people look for an all-powerful voice to codify their beliefs. On both sides.

tobinentinc
08-25-2004, 11:09 PM
I say, leave it up to the states. Making an amendment out it is a little scary.