PDA

View Full Version : Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq

DLR'sCock
08-26-2004, 02:53 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002015813_iraqtoll26m.html

War Exacts High Personal Toll
as Marine Suffers Double Loss
By Hal Bernton
Seattle Times

Thursday 26 August 2004

The most difficult miles of Rosanna Powers' life are bringing her from Florida to the small Washington state farming community of Mansfield, Douglas County, for her brother's funeral tomorrow. Then she will fly back across the country to help bury her fiancé the next day.

Both were U.S. Marines killed last week - one day apart - in Iraq.

The double dose of tragedy struck a 22-year-old woman keenly aware of the risks of Marine life. She's a Marine corporal herself, now in the United States in her final days of service. That shared sense of service gave her some comfort while her loved ones were deployed in Iraq but has not made it any easier to cope with their deaths.

"Before, I kind of knew some of what they were going through," Powers said. "This is different. This is so personal."

Powers' brother, 21-year-old Lance Cpl. Caleb Powers, was the first to die. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., and was shot Aug. 17 as he stood guard at his unit's compound in Al Anbar province in western Iraq, family members said.

Rosanna Powers got the news that day. Then two days later, she learned that her fiancé, Sgt. Richard Lord, 24, of Florida, also had been killed in action. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division based out of Camp LeJeune, N.C. He died Aug. 18 from injuries sustained while he, too, was in Al Anbar province.

The Marines who rotated back into Iraq earlier this year often have been on the front lines of fighting, and some of their units have sustained some of the U.S. forces' highest casualty rates. Those casualties include seven Marines from Washington state who have died since late May.

Caleb Powers and Lord lost their lives in the province that includes the towns of Fallujah, Ramadi and other insurgent strongholds. Though both rotated in and out of hot spots, the two men never got a chance to meet. Lord earlier this month tried unsuccessfully to arrange a get-together, Rosanna Powers said.

Both men died at a time when they had started to plan for life beyond Marine service and the war in Iraq. Caleb Powers had less than a month to go before he was scheduled to leave Iraq, and had his mind set on later leaving the service to turn to a life of wheat farming in Mansfield.

Lord was planning to marry Rosanna Powers. And, in recent months, he had decided to leave the Marines when his service ended in 2006 and return to his native Florida to help raise the 10-month-old son they had together.

Rosanna Powers has been based out of Cherry Point, N.C., in a communications wing. She met Lord while they were both stationed stateside. Then, in February 2003, after she was deployed to Kuwait, she discovered she was pregnant and returned to the U.S. Meanwhile, Lord served a first tour of duty in Iraq and then on June 22 returned for a second tour of duty.

"He was like my brother - a real gung-ho Marine - but he was going to give it up, buy some property and settle down," she said in a telephone interview yesterday from Florida. "He would call me up and say, 'I love you.' We had so many plans."

Today, Powers begins her cross-country marathon to say her goodbyes. She is scheduled to fly to Seattle, then drive east to Mansfield to attend a 1 p.m. funeral service tomorrow for her brother.

Caleb Powers loved the Mansfield area, moving there when he was about 12 years old to live with his aunt and uncle after difficult years in Oregon and Virginia. He received help from Childhelp USA, an organization that aids troubled youth, and enjoyed a taste of celebrity as he appeared at a 2002 fund-raiser for the group, where family members said singer Lee Greenwood performed "God Bless the USA" in his honor.

But he wanted to return to small-town life in Mansfield, with a population of about 320.

"Every letter that I got from him was about coming home," said his aunt, Jackie Tupling. "He wanted to know how he would go about getting loans to get a farm and even had a farm in mind he was going to buy."

As a teen, Rosanna Powers didn't make the move to Washington. She stayed in Virginia but kept in close touch with her brother, and she says her own enlistment might have added a bit of extra incentive for Caleb's enlistment.

As a fellow Marine, he would tease her and call her only by her last name. When she would protest, he would snap back - "Semper Fi, Powers, Semper Fi," using the Marine Corps motto that means "always faithful."

His casket is being brought back to Mansfield for tomorrow's funeral. His body will then be cremated. There will be a cemetery marker in Mansfield as well as a separate burial in Arlington National Cemetery in northern Virginia, Tupling said.

After the Mansfield service, Powers will drive back to Seattle and hop a red-eye flight to Florida in time for a 2 p.m. Saturday funeral for Lord. It will be held in Trenton, a small town west of Gainesville.

Powers wants people to remember not just the battlefield deaths but the lives that preceded them.

"First to lose my brother, then Rich, this hurts so bad. But this is happening to more than just me."

-------

Jump to TO Features for Friday August 27, 2004

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002015813_iraqtoll26m.html

And only yesterday a father torched a military van and burned himself alive when the new JACKBOOTS showed up to tell him his son was killed this Tuesday in Iraq.

Next time dad(s) may shoot:)

Wait until the whole country does that to them.

It's coming.

Not long.. not long.

P

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 02:59 PM
THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL

BigBadBrian
08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I'll bet Bush made them enlist. :rolleyes:

TLR
08-26-2004, 04:56 PM
BigBadBrian...

Thank you...you just beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest that it must have been Bush who enlisted them. I'm sure they didn't do it of their own free volition. I am sure they weren't aware of the inherent risks they might someday face if called to arms...

ELVIS
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq

Boo fuckin' hoo!

:cryingpussy:

Big Train
08-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Look my heart goes out to their families, but to blame Bush is to oversimplify the issue. This could happen at any time in any conflict.

If you disagree with the war, thats one thing, but don't use a personal time of loss for these families to make your political point.

Ally_Kat
08-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
The double dose of tragedy struck a 22-year-old woman keenly aware of the risks of Marine life. She's a Marine corporal herself

You guys act as if this happens to the families unexpected. They know the risks and it's on the minds of people who have family who are enlisted.

I'm sadden for her loss and I pray God helps give her and her family all the strength and all the help she'll need to take care of her son.

I also suppose that the deaths by accident, which are a good chunk of why people die in conflict and I don't mean friendly fire, are also the fault of Bush. If he didn't send them over there, they wouldn't have looked away at the wrong time and get crushed by the huge tank they were unloading.

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I'll bet Bush made them enlist. :rolleyes:
No.

But they, a volunteer, do ask to be lead wisely.

P

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by TLR
BigBadBrian...

Thank you...you just beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest that it must have been Bush who enlisted them. I'm sure they didn't do it of their own free volition. I am sure they weren't aware of the inherent risks they might someday face if called to arms...
Same answer to you, knuckhead.

"Lead wisely."

P

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Look my heart goes out to their families, but to blame Bush is to oversimplify the issue. This could happen at any time in any conflict.

If you disagree with the war, thats one thing, but don't use a personal time of loss for these families to make your political point.
Oh yeh, another one.

I'm speaking up so that the next "dad" doesn't have to burn himself to make that same point.

Never question the "honor" of a soldier or President or whatever and whoever my "boss" is.. killing Jews, and so on.

Don't think. Don't speak.

"I vas just vollowing oders. I vas just vollowing oders."

Yeh, we've heard it all before.

You haven't and so you'll learn the hard way from people who know history.

It's later than you think.

P

Big Train
08-26-2004, 06:32 PM
OK phil, thanks for weighing in.

We've got plenty of time...

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
You guys act as if this happens to the families unexpected. They know the risks and it's on the minds of people who have family who are enlisted.

I'm sadden for her loss and I pray God helps give her and her family all the strength and all the help she'll need to take care of her son.

I also suppose that the deaths by accident, which are a good chunk of why people die in conflict and I don't mean friendly fire, are also the fault of Bush. If he didn't send them over there, they wouldn't have looked away at the wrong time and get crushed by the huge tank they were unloading.
Yes, Ally_Kat. They are the fault of Bush.

Bush wanted to be the head of the whole Reichs Republican machine. He knew the risks of being the focal point for the blame of their misleadership and crimes.. this time around.

It seems like everybody lives in the politcal moment. It seems like everybody has forgotten the Dems recent crimes, Delta Force used against American citizens at Waco, and so much more.

I guess some minds can't handle it all at once.

These parties heirarchies are one world government workers, and they don't get their marching orders from the American people. They only try to get away with what they can get away with against the American people and then the other guy takes over from the other party that is working for a one world government.. and to keep you happy until you know it's here and you've lost your Bill of Rights on this planet.

It's only here, folks.

The British have no Bill of Right. The Soviets didn't and the Russians don't. The "new" demcracies of Eastern Europe don't have a Bill of Rights. Nobody's got a Bill of Rights in any African nation to save for the human race. China has no Bill of Rights.

Well then I quess a Bill of Rights isn't that important then if all of these other countries can't have one.

huh

You're ignorance makes me sad.

P

Phil theStalker
08-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
OK phil, thanks for weighing in.

We've got plenty of time...
No you don't.

The writing's on the wall.

Or you can read the Patriot Act or Anti-Bill of Rights act.

Read that if you can't find "the writing on the wall."

P

Big Train
08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
I think you need to go outside the wall and breathe some fresh air.

It's all gonna be allright....

TLR
08-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

"Lead wisely."

P

Hey, Jackass...

Next time you want to get into name-calling and flaunt your self-perceived intelligence, at least spell everything correctly in your post. It's "led," not "lead." Consult Webster's if you have further questions. Or, just ask me and I'll try to dumb it down for you...

BigBadBrian
08-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Yes, Ally_Kat. They are the fault of Bush.

Moron. :gulp:

TLR
08-26-2004, 08:39 PM

I second that...

TLR
08-26-2004, 08:41 PM

"Lead wisely."

P

By the way...what in the blue hell IS a knuckhead? Is it remotely close to a knuckLEhead?

Lincoln
08-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Maybe it reads Knuckhead, something Canadian? :D

Phil theStalker
08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by TLR
Hey, Jackass...

Next time you want to get into name-calling and flaunt your self-perceived intelligence, at least spell everything correctly in your post. It's "led," not "lead." Consult Webster's if you have further questions. Or, just ask me and I'll try to dumb it down for you...
This is a "message board" for VH. Anybody stupid enough to ask for perfect, correct spelled werds all da time gits put on my ignore list.

That's stoopid, and you're stupid for wasting my time, others time, and your own short time.

BYE:D

Let's see:

1) Wartham

2) Sgt. Schultz (probably a good VH fan, but a political misfit)

3) TLR

The ignore list grows like my dick up the one world, er maybe I'll speel tit "werld" aff I fakking wunt t2o.. dat one werld fakking governmental:D

Anybody else want t2o bee on eggnore?:D

Phil

Phil theStalker
08-27-2004, 10:36 AM
BBB, you're on ignore, too.

Bush knew the "risks" of being the puppet for their one world government.

Today is the day I clean my house here.

There are some good thinkers here, but these people growing on my ignore list are just bores. They aren't even trolls. If they were trolls then I'd understand.

I shouldn't have to do this, because the rest of you should have put them on your ignore in this serious forum before I started posting here, and cleared out this forum from answers by those peeps.

But you didn't.

I'll show you how it's done:D

P

TLR
08-27-2004, 06:53 PM
This is a "message board" for VH. Anybody stupid enough to ask for perfect, correct spelled werds all da time gits put on my ignore list.

That's stoopid, and you're stupid for wasting my time, others time, and your own short time.

BYE:D

Let's see:

1) Wartham

2) Sgt. Schultz (probably a good VH fan, but a political misfit)

3) TLR

The ignore list grows like my dick up the one world, er maybe I'll speel tit "werld" aff I fakking wunt t2o.. dat one werld fakking governmental:D

Anybody else want t2o bee on eggnore?:D

Phil

Oh...*gasp* I'm on "ignore" now...my world is ending due to that unfortunate circumstance. How will I ever go on?

You started the exchange by calling me a name (knuckhead...whatever that is) and then you threw another spelling error in there for good measure. You wanted to come across as superior in intellect...you failed...so, shut up and take your medicine, junior.

Oh, wait...I'm on ignore...I've wasted MORE of my time with this post. *sigh*

wraytw
08-27-2004, 10:13 PM
'Cock' shows time and time again that he has zero capacity for critical thought. He never seems to get it.

tobinentinc
08-28-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, he died fighting for his country. It's not our presidents fault he died. No one forced him to enlist. He enlisted voluntary and knew full well of what he was going to be facing.

Phil theStalker
08-28-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by tobinentinc
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, he died fighting for his country. It's not our presidents fault he died. No one forced him to enlist. He enlisted voluntary and knew full well of what he was going to be facing.
A wise young man has spoken.

However, none of those soldiers insisted on marching orders to Iraq the piggy bank of the PNAC group.

Going in without the UN as bad as the UN is is a major mistake of leadership from the President.

true dat

I'm sorry I disagree with you on that point, young man. You're wise for you age.

P

ELVIS
08-28-2004, 01:50 AM
If you know you're on someone's ignore list, why would you respond to his or her post ??

:confused:

Phil theStalker
08-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
If you know you're on someone's ignore list, why would you respond to his or her post ??

:confused:
Am I on toubic's ignore list?

How can I tell?

P

ELVIS
08-28-2004, 01:53 AM

Going in without the UN as bad as the UN is is a major mistake of leadership from the President.

The filthy UN was never going to side with the US on Iraq...

ELVIS
08-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Am I on toubic's ignore list?

How can I tell?

P

I meant TLR

He responded to your post...

:D

Phil theStalker
08-28-2004, 01:55 AM
The filthy UN was never going to side with the US on Iraq...

Well ya know, maybe that's a "good thing.":)

But it's too late now, isn't it.

P

Phil theStalker
08-28-2004, 01:57 AM
I meant TLR

He responded to your post...

:D
I'll see it next week when I'm chillin'.

Thanks.

P