PDA

View Full Version : What A Guitar

DLRdelight!
08-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Well for those of you who remember my thread asking about the wolfgang, thanks for all the ppl who helped. It really is a great sounding guitar. Gives me that classic VH vibe and sound. Pefect for unchained, man does that tune kick ass

Panamark
09-02-2004, 10:09 AM
How does a wolfgang give the classic Van Halen sound ?
As this sound was actually achieved with a strat ??

Just wondering ??

Glad you got the sound you wanted !!

DLRdelight!
09-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I dont know, it jsut feels like it delivers everything i need. Has the perfect tone and everything. All you have to do is set up your amp the right way and youll get a sort of classic vh sound, but then again only ed can sound exactly like ed.

Matt White
09-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
How does a wolfgang give the classic Van Halen sound ?
As this sound was actually achieved with a strat ??

Just wondering ??

Glad you got the sound you wanted !!

I'll tell 'ya Panamark. The Wolfgang has pickups that were designed by EVH before his mind was TOTALY WATERLOGGED by Booze! They are very PAF sounding, meaning, they sound very much like the pickup in the FRANKENSTRAT. Very ballsy, yet not TOO much distortion when overdriving a tube amp. Very bass heavy guitar. "BROWN SOUND" if you will.
The neck of a Wolfgang is very SIMILAR to the FRANKENSTART as well. Very broken in feeling.
GREAT GUITAR!!!AAA+++

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

DLRdelight!
09-03-2004, 01:35 AM
Yes, exactly what i meant to say

Coyote
09-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Hmm... I wonder what those Wolfgang p'ups would sound like in a Les Paul? :D

DLRdelight!
09-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Never hurts to experiment

badhorsie
09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Gotta have a plexi to get a real Brown sound happening.

wolfgangs are alright though.

Nitro Express
09-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Wolfgang pickups are offset wound. Basically you take the old Gibson PAF pickup as a base starting point. Put a slightly more powerful magnet in it and then wind one bobbin more turns and leave the other bobbin the stock PAF configuration. Seymour Duncan will custom wind these pickups for you in their custom shop.

You get more output, more midrange, and better harmonics without sounding too shrill or buzzy.

Eddie had Seymour Duncan rewind old Gibson PAF pickups for him in the early days or Eddie did it himself.

That's the secret to Eddie's pickups.

There are many amps that get close to Eddie's classic tone. There's so many amps that use that old Marshall Super Lead circut (Which is a takeoff of the Fender Bassman circut). You certainly need the right amp and you aren't going to get the sound with a Peavey 5150. THD makes an amp that gets the tone and so do many makers. What I have found to be more important to get the sound is the speaker cabinet. Marshall cabs are the best for this. The baltic birch plywood and the way Jim Marshall has made his cabs for 30+ years is a big factor. Then load it up with 25 watt greenbacks. I have found the Eminance speakers to be just as good and they are cheaper.

You still need to learn the special Eddie touch. No equipment made will get the sound if you can't play it right. You can get 50% of Ed's sound on some shitty solid state amp just by playing right. It still will come through.

DLRdelight!
09-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Very good comment my friend

jhale667
09-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Indeed. Very pickup saavy. But wasn't the Duncan Custom also based on Seymour's original winds for Ed? I heard a long time ago the Eddie just wouldn't let him use the name...also now Duncan has an EVH Custom-Shop model...check out their website....